Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Questions about your Smartphone data usage? Please join us here for a live “Ask an Expert” event on Wednesday, August 24th from 1-5 pm ET / 10am-2pm PT.

Wireless Forum

Posted Mar 9, 2012
2:22:12 AM
View profile
iOS5.1 battery life

My 4S battery life seems much improved under the new iOS.  I used to lose about 5-6% overnight in standby, now I'm only losing about 2-3%.  Also, at the end of the day I'd be under 60%, but yesterday I was around 75%.  Either my battery life about doubled,  or the battery meter has gone bad.  Anyone else?

My 4S battery life seems much improved under the new iOS.  I used to lose about 5-6% overnight in standby, now I'm only losing about 2-3%.  Also, at the end of the day I'd be under 60%, but yesterday I was around 75%.  Either my battery life about doubled,  or the battery meter has gone bad.  Anyone else?

iOS5.1 battery life

11 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(11)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 9, 2012 3:30:31 AM
(0)
Professor

dwill05 wrote:

i noticed a better battery life also. will keep track of it today and post how much battery i use today. i am on WiFi listening to pandora radio a lot by lunch time i am down ot 51%.yesterday i was at like 64%.

dwill05 wrote:

i noticed a better battery life also. will keep track of it today and post how much battery i use today. i am on WiFi listening to pandora radio a lot by lunch time i am down ot 51%.yesterday i was at like 64%.

hello!!!

Re: iOS5.1 battery life

2 of 12 (1,393 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 9, 2012 5:35:33 AM
(0)
Scholar

dwill05 wrote:

I've seen modest improvement as well.  Only time will tell.  I've also noticed that the software is faster too.

dwill05 wrote:

I've seen modest improvement as well.  Only time will tell.  I've also noticed that the software is faster too.

3 of 12 (1,331 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 9, 2012 8:14:45 AM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by anton697 on Mar 9, 2012 at 8:23:23 AM

graphite07 wrote:

dwill05 wrote:

Wait--either I'm confused or I must be reading your comment the wrong way; you stated that you noticed a better battery life (after updating to iOS 5.1), yet you said your battery was at 51% which is lower than the 64% you reported battery level being at the day before.  Isn't 51% < 64%?

graphite07 wrote:

dwill05 wrote:

Wait--either I'm confused or I must be reading your comment the wrong way; you stated that you noticed a better battery life (after updating to iOS 5.1), yet you said your battery was at 51% which is lower than the 64% you reported battery level being at the day before.  Isn't 51% < 64%?

[ Edited ]
4 of 12 (1,260 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 9, 2012 9:56:07 AM
(0)
Guru
Edited by brainwaver on Mar 9, 2012 at 10:46:43 AM

Sounded pretty straight forward to me...I read it as his battery was usually down to 51% by lunchtime prior to 5.1 and now it's at 64% yesterday which was the day AFTER the update.

I too think my battery life has improved some. Usually after 6 hours at work my battery is below 65% but right now it's at 85%.  Smiley Happy

anton697 wrote:

graphite07 wrote:

dwill05 wrote:

Sounded pretty straight forward to me...I read it as his battery was usually down to 51% by lunchtime prior to 5.1 and now it's at 64% yesterday which was the day AFTER the update.

I too think my battery life has improved some. Usually after 6 hours at work my battery is below 65% but right now it's at 85%.  Smiley Happy

anton697 wrote:

graphite07 wrote:

dwill05 wrote:

[ Edited ]
5 of 12 (1,197 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 9, 2012 10:43:15 AM
(0)
Scholar
I've noticed a slight difference on it too
Especially using data from 100% it went down to 97%
In 37mins after a hour it was 89%

I have charged my phone up since the update it's 48%
At the minute on Wifi Smiley Happy

Reception has improved a lot on it too

I just hate that new toggle you guys are livid at
With AT&T I would gladly wish for the old option back in a mere instant!!!
I've noticed a slight difference on it too
Especially using data from 100% it went down to 97%
In 37mins after a hour it was 89%

I have charged my phone up since the update it's 48%
At the minute on Wifi Smiley Happy

Reception has improved a lot on it too

I just hate that new toggle you guys are livid at
With AT&T I would gladly wish for the old option back in a mere instant!!!

6 of 12 (1,164 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 9, 2012 2:53:24 PM
(0)
Professor

my battery life is a lot longer now. after 4 hours of use to listen to music i was only down to 87% from 100% and using text msg and the net.

my battery life is a lot longer now. after 4 hours of use to listen to music i was only down to 87% from 100% and using text msg and the net.

hello!!!

7 of 12 (1,080 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 9, 2012 4:04:50 PM
(0)
Scholar

^^ Thats pretty Good!

I normally listen to Music on the go on mine prob about 2/5hrs at most

the battery is really good on Music i think on that phone!

I was playing Need For speed 2 it was on 16% and it took 1hr to kill it off so thats changed to

cos gaming normally cains phones till there dead as Smiley Tongue

^^ Thats pretty Good!

I normally listen to Music on the go on mine prob about 2/5hrs at most

the battery is really good on Music i think on that phone!

I was playing Need For speed 2 it was on 16% and it took 1hr to kill it off so thats changed to

cos gaming normally cains phones till there dead as Smiley Tongue

8 of 12 (1,053 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 20, 2012 9:14:53 PM
(0)
Contributor

Hm.  It's worse for me than before ...

Hm.  It's worse for me than before ...

9 of 12 (467 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 20, 2012 9:22:13 PM
(0)
Scholar
Oh dear what you can try do is re-installing iTunes from fresh
On ur pc and performing the update again it might fix it?

If not arrange a slot at the Genius bar Smiley Wink

All the best Smiley Happy
Oh dear what you can try do is re-installing iTunes from fresh
On ur pc and performing the update again it might fix it?

If not arrange a slot at the Genius bar Smiley Wink

All the best Smiley Happy

10 of 12 (464 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 21, 2012 7:05:21 AM
(0)
Contributor
Reinstalling iTunes wouldn't allow me to perform the update again -- the iPhone has been upgraded and can't be downgraded even if I reset to factory defaults.

The genius bar's response has always been the same: "wipe the phone, reset to factory defaults, and set up as new". This means obliterating 2 years of text history, which is something I simply don't want to do.

The genius bar has no other more helpful ideas.

And the battery life is **MUCH** worse than before: twice as bad. My phone was at 98% this morning at 9am and is now at 68% at 10am. I've not used any apps, any 3G data, and I've only spoken on the phone a little bit. That's worse I think than it's *EVER* been.

AT&T signal strength seems lower now than before as well. This may be one of the reasons it's draining faster.
Reinstalling iTunes wouldn't allow me to perform the update again -- the iPhone has been upgraded and can't be downgraded even if I reset to factory defaults.

The genius bar's response has always been the same: "wipe the phone, reset to factory defaults, and set up as new". This means obliterating 2 years of text history, which is something I simply don't want to do.

The genius bar has no other more helpful ideas.

And the battery life is **MUCH** worse than before: twice as bad. My phone was at 98% this morning at 9am and is now at 68% at 10am. I've not used any apps, any 3G data, and I've only spoken on the phone a little bit. That's worse I think than it's *EVER* been.

AT&T signal strength seems lower now than before as well. This may be one of the reasons it's draining faster.

11 of 12 (356 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 23, 2012 11:06:06 PM
(0)
Scholar
Take it into a apple store and say the battery is wasting away
Explain about the loss of signal too and that you followed instructions
On resetting etc with no avail there gunna have to send it for rePair I think

Let us know what they say!