iOS 5.1 Update is here

Scholar

iOS 5.1 Update is here

Today,

Apple unleashed the “new new iPad,” or iPad 3, or 2S, or whatever you want to call it. It’ll cost you $499,

has a new retina display, with an A5X processor complete with quad-core graphics. The iPad 2 is also getting a price drop, to $399, and Apple announced a slew of new updates to existing products, including movie support for iCloud, iPhoto is coming to iOS, along with an update for iOS 5. Yes, iOS 5.1 will be available for download starting today for iPhone, iPod and iPads, according to Apple, with some new updates to Siri.

Siri brought a big change to the experience of the iPhone when it appeared on the 4S, and since then, people have been finding all sorts of back-door ways to bring the saucy personal assistant to other Apple devices. Today, Siri is officially showing up on the iPad. Well, sort of. It won’t be the full-featured personal assistant iPhone users have become familiar with, but it does include voice dictation support. This support will include American English, British and Australian English, French, German and Japanese.

While most of those languages have already been available for iOS, Japanese is a new arrival. But, perhaps the coolest part of this pared-down Siri for iPad is that the dictation feature will be available in third-party apps. That means that users will be able to holler their tweets and Facebook status updates into their iPads and iPhones, making for an interesting experience for those in close proximity.

iOS 5.1 is also supposed to hold the promise of enhanced battery life, but iPhone 4S users have been holding their breath on that one for awhile now, so that remains to be seen.

(Actual Link) iOS 5.1 Update

Message 1 of 23 (928 Views)
Professor

Re: iOS 5.1 Update is here

down loading it now...

Message 2 of 23 (912 Views)
Scholar

slow going on DL here,
Message 3 of 23 (890 Views)

If you already have 5.0 it'll go a lot faster if you don't use iTunes.

Make sure you are on wifi and plugged into power, then go to Settings > General > Software Update.

Mine took about 10 minutes to complete.

boppo wrote:
slow going on DL here,

Message 4 of 23 (885 Views)
Scholar

Thanks for that info.
Message 5 of 23 (873 Views)
Professor

i keep getting errors....

Message 6 of 23 (864 Views)

You're welcome! 

boppo wrote:
Thanks for that info.

Message 7 of 23 (863 Views)
Professor

When you download directly on the device, it only downloads the changed files. When you download through iTunes, it downloads the entire iOS, so it takes a lot longer. I downloaded on both my phone and iPad with no problems.
Message 8 of 23 (798 Views)
Professor

I keep getting a error on the wireless down load. I am thinking the wireless update does not work at all!
Message 9 of 23 (792 Views)
Highlighted

I updated both of our iPhones yesterday through wifi/power without any issues. Maybe it's server overload as more people learn about the software update?

graphite07 wrote:
I keep getting a error on the wireless down load. I am thinking the wireless update does not work at all!

Message 10 of 23 (790 Views)
Scholar

For me this update left me a bit underwhelmed.  for a .X upgrage, as apposed to a .0X I was kinda expecting some more enhancements.  The software appears to be slightly facter, some optomization going on?  I haven't used it enough to see if battery life has really improved, only time will tell.

Message 11 of 23 (648 Views)
Guru

I updated 5 iPhones via wifi yesterday and had no problem.
Message 12 of 23 (631 Views)
Scholar

I only found about about it as I had a iTunes update come thru 10.6

did you guys update to this first?

I had no probs installing the firmware,and appart from a japanese Option (Siri)

and a strange change to the 3G option to switch on and off my signal seems to be alot better

from it I get 5 Signal bars instead of 3-4 Smiley Happy

the battery seems abit improved to from 100% using on data for 37min it dropped to 97%

after a hour it dropped to 86% so its slighty improved it a tiny bit!

I noticed AT&T iPhones have a 4G icon but is this something AT&T have asked Apple

to add for them or is this also present now for all iPhones?

oviousley I cannot get this icon on my iPhone as were behind here still on 3G till end of this year lol

Message 13 of 23 (572 Views)

If i use my iphone to DL the new iOS, no files will be deleted ryt? or whats the difference if i DL it in iTunes.
Message 14 of 23 (531 Views)
Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have no "software update" under general on my 3g phone. How do I download without using i-tunes?

Message 15 of 23 (524 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.