Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Mar 7, 2012
5:23:50 PM
View profile
iOS 5.1 Update is here

Today,

Apple unleashed the “new new iPad,” or iPad 3, or 2S, or whatever you want to call it. It’ll cost you $499,

has a new retina display, with an A5X processor complete with quad-core graphics. The iPad 2 is also getting a price drop, to $399, and Apple announced a slew of new updates to existing products, including movie support for iCloud, iPhoto is coming to iOS, along with an update for iOS 5. Yes, iOS 5.1 will be available for download starting today for iPhone, iPod and iPads, according to Apple, with some new updates to Siri.

Siri brought a big change to the experience of the iPhone when it appeared on the 4S, and since then, people have been finding all sorts of back-door ways to bring the saucy personal assistant to other Apple devices. Today, Siri is officially showing up on the iPad. Well, sort of. It won’t be the full-featured personal assistant iPhone users have become familiar with, but it does include voice dictation support. This support will include American English, British and Australian English, French, German and Japanese.

While most of those languages have already been available for iOS, Japanese is a new arrival. But, perhaps the coolest part of this pared-down Siri for iPad is that the dictation feature will be available in third-party apps. That means that users will be able to holler their tweets and Facebook status updates into their iPads and iPhones, making for an interesting experience for those in close proximity.

iOS 5.1 is also supposed to hold the promise of enhanced battery life, but iPhone 4S users have been holding their breath on that one for awhile now, so that remains to be seen.

(Actual Link) iOS 5.1 Update

Today,

Apple unleashed the “new new iPad,” or iPad 3, or 2S, or whatever you want to call it. It’ll cost you $499,

has a new retina display, with an A5X processor complete with quad-core graphics. The iPad 2 is also getting a price drop, to $399, and Apple announced a slew of new updates to existing products, including movie support for iCloud, iPhoto is coming to iOS, along with an update for iOS 5. Yes, iOS 5.1 will be available for download starting today for iPhone, iPod and iPads, according to Apple, with some new updates to Siri.

Siri brought a big change to the experience of the iPhone when it appeared on the 4S, and since then, people have been finding all sorts of back-door ways to bring the saucy personal assistant to other Apple devices. Today, Siri is officially showing up on the iPad. Well, sort of. It won’t be the full-featured personal assistant iPhone users have become familiar with, but it does include voice dictation support. This support will include American English, British and Australian English, French, German and Japanese.

While most of those languages have already been available for iOS, Japanese is a new arrival. But, perhaps the coolest part of this pared-down Siri for iPad is that the dictation feature will be available in third-party apps. That means that users will be able to holler their tweets and Facebook status updates into their iPads and iPhones, making for an interesting experience for those in close proximity.

iOS 5.1 is also supposed to hold the promise of enhanced battery life, but iPhone 4S users have been holding their breath on that one for awhile now, so that remains to be seen.

(Actual Link) iOS 5.1 Update

iOS 5.1 Update is here

22 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(22)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 7, 2012 5:55:15 PM
(0)
Professor

down loading it now...

down loading it now...

hello!!!

Re: iOS 5.1 Update is here

2 of 23 (888 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 7, 2012 6:41:22 PM
(0)
Scholar
slow going on DL here,
slow going on DL here,

3 of 23 (866 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 7, 2012 6:45:25 PM
(0)
Guru

If you already have 5.0 it'll go a lot faster if you don't use iTunes.

Make sure you are on wifi and plugged into power, then go to Settings > General > Software Update.

Mine took about 10 minutes to complete.

boppo wrote:
slow going on DL here,

If you already have 5.0 it'll go a lot faster if you don't use iTunes.

Make sure you are on wifi and plugged into power, then go to Settings > General > Software Update.

Mine took about 10 minutes to complete.

boppo wrote:
slow going on DL here,

4 of 23 (861 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 7, 2012 7:10:36 PM
(0)
Scholar
Thanks for that info.
Thanks for that info.

5 of 23 (849 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 7, 2012 7:29:31 PM
(0)
Professor

i keep getting errors....

i keep getting errors....

hello!!!

6 of 23 (840 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 7, 2012 7:30:19 PM
(0)
Guru

You're welcome! 

boppo wrote:
Thanks for that info.

You're welcome! 

boppo wrote:
Thanks for that info.

7 of 23 (839 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 8, 2012 2:45:38 AM
(0)
Professor
When you download directly on the device, it only downloads the changed files. When you download through iTunes, it downloads the entire iOS, so it takes a lot longer. I downloaded on both my phone and iPad with no problems.
When you download directly on the device, it only downloads the changed files. When you download through iTunes, it downloads the entire iOS, so it takes a lot longer. I downloaded on both my phone and iPad with no problems.

8 of 23 (774 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 8, 2012 4:24:21 AM
(0)
Professor
I keep getting a error on the wireless down load. I am thinking the wireless update does not work at all!
I keep getting a error on the wireless down load. I am thinking the wireless update does not work at all!
hello!!!

9 of 23 (768 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 8, 2012 4:47:48 AM
(0)
Guru

I updated both of our iPhones yesterday through wifi/power without any issues. Maybe it's server overload as more people learn about the software update?

graphite07 wrote:

I updated both of our iPhones yesterday through wifi/power without any issues. Maybe it's server overload as more people learn about the software update?

graphite07 wrote:

10 of 23 (766 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 8, 2012 5:02:08 AM
(0)
Scholar

For me this update left me a bit underwhelmed.  for a .X upgrage, as apposed to a .0X I was kinda expecting some more enhancements.  The software appears to be slightly facter, some optomization going on?  I haven't used it enough to see if battery life has really improved, only time will tell.

For me this update left me a bit underwhelmed.  for a .X upgrage, as apposed to a .0X I was kinda expecting some more enhancements.  The software appears to be slightly facter, some optomization going on?  I haven't used it enough to see if battery life has really improved, only time will tell.

11 of 23 (624 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 8, 2012 6:15:31 AM
(0)
Guru
I updated 5 iPhones via wifi yesterday and had no problem.
I updated 5 iPhones via wifi yesterday and had no problem.

12 of 23 (607 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 8, 2012 3:09:04 PM
(0)
Scholar

I only found about about it as I had a iTunes update come thru 10.6

did you guys update to this first?

I had no probs installing the firmware,and appart from a japanese Option (Siri)

and a strange change to the 3G option to switch on and off my signal seems to be alot better

from it I get 5 Signal bars instead of 3-4 Smiley Happy

the battery seems abit improved to from 100% using on data for 37min it dropped to 97%

after a hour it dropped to 86% so its slighty improved it a tiny bit!

I noticed AT&T iPhones have a 4G icon but is this something AT&T have asked Apple

to add for them or is this also present now for all iPhones?

oviousley I cannot get this icon on my iPhone as were behind here still on 3G till end of this year lol

I only found about about it as I had a iTunes update come thru 10.6

did you guys update to this first?

I had no probs installing the firmware,and appart from a japanese Option (Siri)

and a strange change to the 3G option to switch on and off my signal seems to be alot better

from it I get 5 Signal bars instead of 3-4 Smiley Happy

the battery seems abit improved to from 100% using on data for 37min it dropped to 97%

after a hour it dropped to 86% so its slighty improved it a tiny bit!

I noticed AT&T iPhones have a 4G icon but is this something AT&T have asked Apple

to add for them or is this also present now for all iPhones?

oviousley I cannot get this icon on my iPhone as were behind here still on 3G till end of this year lol

13 of 23 (548 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 9, 2012 7:38:52 AM
(0)
Guru
If i use my iphone to DL the new iOS, no files will be deleted ryt? or whats the difference if i DL it in iTunes.
If i use my iphone to DL the new iOS, no files will be deleted ryt? or whats the difference if i DL it in iTunes.

14 of 23 (507 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 9, 2012 8:19:08 AM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by HPMES on Mar 9, 2012 at 8:30:40 AM

I have no "software update" under general on my 3g phone. How do I download without using i-tunes?

I have no "software update" under general on my 3g phone. How do I download without using i-tunes?

[ Edited ]
15 of 23 (500 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 9, 2012 8:26:40 AM
(0)
Contributor

sorry - that should have read 'WITHOUT using i-tunes"

sorry - that should have read 'WITHOUT using i-tunes"

16 of 23 (496 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 9, 2012 8:52:09 AM
(0)
Professor
I think iOS updates for the 3G stopped quite a while ago. This update isn't for the 3G and the 3G may not have gotten any of the iOS updates that enabled updates over WiFi
I think iOS updates for the 3G stopped quite a while ago. This update isn't for the 3G and the 3G may not have gotten any of the iOS updates that enabled updates over WiFi

17 of 23 (480 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 9, 2012 9:37:09 AM
(0)
Scholar
Cool rhyme, I'm unsure what the difference is
But I would do it via iTunes incase the phone got bricked!

I'm unsure about the 3GS update contact apple
About it Smiley Wink
Cool rhyme, I'm unsure what the difference is
But I would do it via iTunes incase the phone got bricked!

I'm unsure about the 3GS update contact apple
About it Smiley Wink

18 of 23 (467 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 9, 2012 9:52:46 AM
(0)
Expert

IOS 5 is not avilable for the 3G

IOS 5 is not avilable for the 3G

19 of 23 (458 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 9, 2012 1:24:54 PM
(0)
Guru
I tried using wifi to updated my iOS not working.. receiving an error.
I tried using wifi to updated my iOS not working.. receiving an error.

20 of 23 (436 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 9, 2012 2:31:17 PM
(0)
Scholar

I have no access to wifi.  If i tether my phone to my laptop and download the update thru iTunes will it count against my data?  I am thinking it will but that really sux, lol

I have no access to wifi.  If i tether my phone to my laptop and download the update thru iTunes will it count against my data?  I am thinking it will but that really sux, lol

21 of 23 (444 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 9, 2012 3:08:41 PM
(0)
Professor
Yes, it will count against your data. Also, you are required to have a tethering plan.
Yes, it will count against your data. Also, you are required to have a tethering plan.

22 of 23 (436 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 11, 2012 4:35:59 PM
(0)
Guru

Mine doesnt work on wifi >.> d/ling it now to itunes..

Mine doesnt work on wifi >.> d/ling it now to itunes..

23 of 23 (363 Views)