iOS 4.3 Mobile Hotspot

iOS 4.3 Mobile Hotspot

I have unlimited on my iphone 4! I want the hotspot feature coming next week and don't know how they will charge me! Will i get prorated for 1 gb or will they change my plan automatically when i toggle the feature on in setting? Anyone who is a developer (cause you have the feature in 4.3 beta already) that has/had unlimited let me know what happens. Thanks!

Message 1 of 76 (45,534 Views)
Professor

Re: iOS 4.3 Mobile Hotspot

[ Edited ]

And go where?  THe only other place to go in the US is Verizon, and they aren't much different.  They have unlimited data for now, but have made it clear that by the summer they are going to limited plans like AT&T.  Also, their tethering (mobil hotspot) isn't unlimited.  It's limited to only 2GB of data transfered via the hotspot.

Message 31 of 76 (8,893 Views)
Scholar

Yeah it makes perfect sense to have unlimited data for up to four devices for $30 a month. You should totally start a cell phone service. Let us know how congested your network gets.
Message 32 of 76 (8,886 Views)
Professor

katkage wrote:

The answer I got from customer support (as an unlimited data plan customer) is: Mobile Hotspot is not compatible with the Unlimited Data plan. Which, logically, is... completely illogical.

Unlimited Data is... *Unlimited Data* people. I am floored that some have simply upgraded to the Mobile Hotspot plan without a word. Nor a second thought. Nary a complaint.

Hello? Twitter anyone with smart hashtagging (#iPhone #custserv #ATT) ? Facebook? If AT&T can throttle the bandwidth on your phone, even though you are paying for an Unlimited Plan, unless you fork over some cash to get the extra pipeline... what does that say?

Use the brain cells you have, and spread the word to raise awareness, rather than simply rolling over and paying yet one more fee. Please!

The mobil hotspot (aka "tethering") plan is incompatibile with the unlimited data plan.  They aren't saying it's not technically possible, it's that AT&T won't allow you to tether with unlimited data (Verizon won't either, BTW).  If you want tethering/hotspot, you have to go on the data limited plan.  If you were grandfathered in on the unlimited plan, you have a choice to keep it and forget about tethering or drop it if you want to tether.

This whole dropping of unlimited data played out over 9 months ago when it was first announced.  Spreading the word won't do much good because everyone knows about it, and has known for quite a while.  The possibility of some social media uprising getting AT&T to change their mind and let people tether unlimited is almost zero.  They realize it would almost certainly overload their network, and cause problems for everyone who uses data, tethered ot not.  They aren't going to do that, no matter how much people whine about it on the net.

Message 33 of 76 (8,884 Views)
Tutor

Re: ISO 4.3 Mobile Hotspot

1. I'm quite aware that AT&T wants its customers to leave the unlimited data plan to be able to take advantage of the Mobile Hotspot plan (read: monetary gain). I'm also aware that the unlimited data plan option dropped out 9 months ago once the iPhone4 was release via AT&T.

Fortunately, I was grandfathered into the unlimited data plan. Should the people who were smart enough to hop on the AT&T wagon early enough and purchase the unlimited data plan be penalized? No.

However, it is foolish to assume that everyone else out there is as *savvy* as you, Senior Warrior. Am I whining? No. I am simply raising a stink about a system that is broken that needs to be fixed. Period. If I paid for an unlimited data plan, I am entitled to unlimited data.

2. AT&T realizing that allowing people with unlimited data plans free access to the Mobile hotspot functionality will overload their (already bloated) network. If it's so bloated, how are they charging people for 2Gb/mo, and 4Gb/mo and still getting away with it?

Pray tell. Do you have a spreadsheet detailing the amount of users on the network that are on the unlimited data plan vs the ones that are not (paying for 2gb/4gb)--- and do you have info of the individual bandwidth each person is using per month? If so, please do share. We'd all love to know how you've come to this determination that, by allowing the ones who have been grandfathered in to unlimited data are going to bring this network to its knees. Your captive audience is all eyes. Smiley Wink

3. I'm aware of my choice, and I am choosing to raise awareness via social media channels. Why? Because not everyone knows about this situation. Maybe you do. Maybe a slice of others do.

Spreading the word via Twitter and Facebook, rather than chatting about it here in a forum where there's only a small subset of users participating? IMO, that's a more powerful way of generating change. Especially since the Twitterfeeds and Facebook chatter are monitored by ATT and reputation management is huge these days by corporations.

Sitting back and making statements like "The possibility of some social media uprising getting AT&T to change their mind and let people tether unlimited is almost zero" is pure ostrich-in-the-sand mentality, really.

What's there to lose by making a stand? Nothing. What's there to gain? Everything.

Message 34 of 76 (8,851 Views)
Scholar

So they're increasing monetary gain by allowing people to have data plans cheaper then what they were before? I was grandfathered in the $30 unlimited data plan and never went over 1GB of data. I'm glad there's a cheaper alternative. I made the switch and save $60 a year. Cell phones are not a necessity, mobile Internet is not a necessity, cell service through AT&T is not a necessity. You pay for unlimited data on your cell phone, not unlimited mobile Internet. Why make a company change for your needs when all you need to do is find a different carrier?
Message 35 of 76 (8,832 Views)
Professor

You pay for unlimited data on your phone and you do have unlimited data on your phone.  However, you are not currently paying for the using your phone as a modem to connect other non-phone devices to AT&Ts data network.  That's a separate plan (tethering) and if you want it, you have to abide by AT&T's rules which state you have to go to a tiered plan.  Good luck with your social campaign for change.  One year from now, tethering will still not be allowed on unlimited data.  Not on AT&T and not on Verizon.

Message 36 of 76 (8,804 Views)
Expert

Luv2ski wrote:

I'm so going to enjoy dropping AT&T when my contract is up! They still act like they have the iPhone monopoly. 

might want to review the hotspot plan for verizon before you leave - hotspot is an additional 20.00 a month and has 1 2GB cap on it, it is NOT unlimited. Go ahead and change, why wait? You will enjoy the ability over on veizon to not be able to hold a voice conversation while trying to use data, you will enjoy the simple fact that a data connection drops when you recieve a voice call on a verizon iphone, you will enjoy the 2gb cap on the hotspot, so why wait - etf out and move

Message 37 of 76 (8,743 Views)
Tutor

Senior Warrior, you still haven't answered my question as to how you've determined how you've gleaned the data usage patterns for all the users on this networks. Let's review what you actually stated previously in a post.

>>For those who are worried about giving up unlimited data, how much do you actually use?  I agree that the previous plan that charged you $20 for tethering with no increase in the 2GB data cap was pretty poor, but now you have 4GB.  I have unlimited now, but the most I've ever used in a billing period on my phone is 1.1 GB, and most months it's under 800 MB.  For me, 4GB is essentially unlimited, even if I used a laptop or iPad, since I'd only use the hotspot when away from WiFi, so I don't see even getting close to 4GB.  I think a lot of people like the concept of unlimited data and don't want to give it up for that reason alone, even though they don't ever use enough data to get even close to the 2GB or 4GB limit.

I think it may work for me, but understand that other people have different usage patterns.<<

Exactly. People may have different usage patterns. Not everyone uses as you do. That is data for your plan. Not everyone else. Not me. I'd love you to post my download data here... that'd be a trick I'd be seriously impressed to see.

Not everyone may tether like you do. You made your choice to up to pay for the 4GB plan without questioning the validity of why. You made your choice to let go of the unlimited plan and pay more sans question. Without question. 

AT&T sets up a rule according to how they want to throttle their network, and then they have their developers code software to launch to the phones to lock the phones' functionality down [like removing the tethering functionality, then re-enabling it. For a fee. Smiley Wink ]. Simple as that.  AT&T set up tethering as a separate add to make (drum roll) more cash. It was a business decision.

This is no different for Verizon soon in the future once the iPhone5 is released, or any other network provider that needs to control bandwidth---I'm well aware that this is not just an issue with AT&T. Which is why I'm bringing up the social media campaign. If you choose to sit back and not participate, that's just another way for the corporations to gain more traction. The bottom line is the system needs to be fixed, rather than the customers simply forking over more cash for bandwidth when promised *unlimited*.

Message 38 of 76 (8,680 Views)
ACE - Professor

katkage wrote:

AT&T sets up a rule according to how they want to throttle their network, and then they have their developers code software to launch to the phones to lock the phones' functionality down [like removing the tethering functionality, then re-enabling it. For a fee. Smiley Wink ]. Simple as that.  AT&T set up tethering as a separate add to make (drum roll) more cash. It was a business decision.

Actually, Apple is the one that made features like hotspot & tethering carrier-dependant, not AT&T.

Which is why you need to hack the phone to get around the lockout - unless you want to not steal a service by actually paying for it.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 39 of 76 (8,661 Views)
Tutor

Yes, Johninsj, you do have a point. I'm not sure if the software rollout comes directly from Apple's factory or in partnership with an agreement with what contractually they've (devs) set up to code to spec according to what functionality AT&T (or Verizon now) prefers. However. That functionality still is coded in there as a business decision.

Customers used to be able to tether without extra fees, before Apple rolled out a software update was rolled out to disable tethering (iOS 3.0) in June 2009.

Preferrably, I'd rather not steal a service. Many are jailbreaking, yes. Does it solve the overarching problem? Not really.

Message 40 of 76 (8,650 Views)
Scholar

Im guessing he didn't question why because it's obvious it's a separate feature. The wifi router is $60 for 5GB, the cell phone hotspot is essentially $55 for 5GB. I don't know if pointing out AT&T making business decisions was supposed to be a big reveal. Companies charge convience fees, pay for parking, can't bring own drinks to movies, and the list goes on and on. Companies charge for services *gasp* to remain in business. Mobile broadband is a supplement to Internet, not a primary source. What you're asking for is speeds cheaper than dsl and even more convienent. No cell phone company offers unlimited Internet for the home.
Message 41 of 76 (4,267 Views)
Expert

katkage wrote:

Yes, Johninsj, you do have a point. I'm not sure if the software rollout comes directly from Apple's factory or in partnership with an agreement with what contractually they've (devs) set up to code to spec according to what functionality AT&T (or Verizon now) prefers. However. That functionality still is coded in there as a business decision.

Customers used to be able to tether without extra fees, before Apple rolled out a software update was rolled out to disable tethering (iOS 3.0) in June 2009.

Preferrably, I'd rather not steal a service. Many are jailbreaking, yes. Does it solve the overarching problem? Not really.

tethering of ANY smartphone was never free, it always has been an additional charge for any smartphone by all the carriers

Message 42 of 76 (4,181 Views)
ACE - Professor

katkage wrote:

No, customers could never tether without fees on AT&T. And Apple never enabled a tethering feature in the OS without support (if required) from the carrier.

Basically, you need to choose to do without, pay for service, or steal it. Those are your choices. Just like with any other product.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 43 of 76 (4,159 Views)
Guru

[ Edited ]

johninsj wrote:

katkage wrote:

No, customers could never tether without fees on AT&T. And Apple never enabled a tethering feature in the OS without support (if required) from the carrier.

Basically, you need to choose to do without, pay for service, or steal it. Those are your choices. Just like with any other product.

True, Apple did not explicitly enable the tethering feature in pre-iOS 4; however, I think the poster was referring to the issue where programming that would allow for tethering was indeed buried in the pre-iOS 4 code, and in fact IIRC there was an app in the iTunes Store that would "unlock" (for lack of a better description) the ability to tether--this app (whose name I can't recall at the moment) was available in the App Store for a brief period before someone (I believe it may have been AT&T) brought it to Apple's attention...then next thing you knew, the app was removed from iTS, never to be seen again.

Note--I'm not saying that the use of this app meant it was okay to tether on a provider's cell network for free...just that this app allowed a user to enable tethering on their iPhone w/o needing to download a carrier and/or an iOS update or jailbreak.

Message 44 of 76 (4,126 Views)
Professor

IIRC, tethering with the iPhone was always against the TOS, until they finally came up with a paid tethering plan last year. Paid or free, hidden in the OS or not, pulled app notwithstanding, tethering wasn't allowed by ATT, or even Apple.
Message 45 of 76 (4,105 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.