Wireless Forums

Posted Mar 3, 2011
1:42:28 PM
View profile
iOS 4.3 Mobile Hotspot

I have unlimited on my iphone 4! I want the hotspot feature coming next week and don't know how they will charge me! Will i get prorated for 1 gb or will they change my plan automatically when i toggle the feature on in setting? Anyone who is a developer (cause you have the feature in 4.3 beta already) that has/had unlimited let me know what happens. Thanks!

75 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(75)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 17, 2011 9:08:22 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

Kwopau wrote:

I think someone mentioned it but might say it again. If you are on Unlimited Data plan, the hotspot WILL not work at all. Even if you do turn it on, it will ask you to call AT&T that you need a plan that requires Hotspot to work, which is the Tethering plan.  Once you switch to a tethering plan, you will lose that Unlimited Data plan and can never go back to it.

My two cents, I would be happy to have the option keep my unlimited data plan for my phone, and add the $20 tethering charge for 2GB, limited to tethering or mobile hotspot.  Total cost would be $50.  I think that this is the option offered by VZW, and would like to see AT&T match the competition.

Kwopau wrote:

I think someone mentioned it but might say it again. If you are on Unlimited Data plan, the hotspot WILL not work at all. Even if you do turn it on, it will ask you to call AT&T that you need a plan that requires Hotspot to work, which is the Tethering plan.  Once you switch to a tethering plan, you will lose that Unlimited Data plan and can never go back to it.

My two cents, I would be happy to have the option keep my unlimited data plan for my phone, and add the $20 tethering charge for 2GB, limited to tethering or mobile hotspot.  Total cost would be $50.  I think that this is the option offered by VZW, and would like to see AT&T match the competition.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: iOS 4.3 Mobile Hotspot

61 of 76 (1,442 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 17, 2011 10:12:00 AM
(0)
Professor
I would like to have the tethering for those (relatively few) occasions where I need laptop access, when I'm out and about. But it's not something I want to pay a monthly fee for. I'd use it way too infrequently to justify an ongoing cost. Maybe I'd even consider giving up my unlimited and going with the 4 gb they're offering, but for the same price I'm paying. But no way I'd give up my unlimited, downgrade from unlimited to 4 gbs, AND pay more. That's just insane.
I would like to have the tethering for those (relatively few) occasions where I need laptop access, when I'm out and about. But it's not something I want to pay a monthly fee for. I'd use it way too infrequently to justify an ongoing cost. Maybe I'd even consider giving up my unlimited and going with the 4 gb they're offering, but for the same price I'm paying. But no way I'd give up my unlimited, downgrade from unlimited to 4 gbs, AND pay more. That's just insane.

62 of 76 (1,425 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 17, 2011 11:00:13 AM
(0)
Guru

SLIKRICK wrote:

Pretty much where I am.  It is something that would be occasionally useful to me, but not often.  And certainly not worth giving up an unlimited data plan, and then paying more for.

SLIKRICK wrote:

Pretty much where I am.  It is something that would be occasionally useful to me, but not often.  And certainly not worth giving up an unlimited data plan, and then paying more for.

63 of 76 (1,405 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 17, 2011 11:03:54 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

SLIKRICK wrote:
But no way I'd give up my unlimited, downgrade from unlimited to 4 gbs, AND pay more. That's just insane.

And yet, it's cheaper than the cost of buying a MiFi and service to go with it, along with your iPhone plan.

Which is the comparison no one seems to want to make.

If you *need* mobile hotspot, then your choices are MiFi or add it to your iPhone plan. Adding it to your iPhone plan is cheaper in up front costs, and in recurring monthy costs. Unless you are on unlimited and actually using more that 2GB/mo in data now, then you'd probably be better off cost wise just getting a MiFi.

SLIKRICK wrote:
But no way I'd give up my unlimited, downgrade from unlimited to 4 gbs, AND pay more. That's just insane.

And yet, it's cheaper than the cost of buying a MiFi and service to go with it, along with your iPhone plan.

Which is the comparison no one seems to want to make.

If you *need* mobile hotspot, then your choices are MiFi or add it to your iPhone plan. Adding it to your iPhone plan is cheaper in up front costs, and in recurring monthy costs. Unless you are on unlimited and actually using more that 2GB/mo in data now, then you'd probably be better off cost wise just getting a MiFi.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

64 of 76 (1,400 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 17, 2011 12:46:48 PM
(0)
Professor
Speaking for myself, none of it is worth an added, monthly expense. YMMV.

65 of 76 (1,375 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 17, 2011 1:23:15 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

SLIKRICK wrote:

I agree, which is why I don't use the service.

I have a perfectly capable mobile wireless access device with data. It's called "iPhone". Truely remarkable :smileyhappy:

Some people require mobile data access, and are more than willing to pay for it. This service allows them to get the same capabilities they would with a MiFi without needing a second device.

SLIKRICK wrote:

I agree, which is why I don't use the service.

I have a perfectly capable mobile wireless access device with data. It's called "iPhone". Truely remarkable :smileyhappy:

Some people require mobile data access, and are more than willing to pay for it. This service allows them to get the same capabilities they would with a MiFi without needing a second device.

66 of 76 (1,360 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 18, 2011 11:55:51 AM
(0)
Professor
Edited by josephz2va on Mar 18, 2011 at 11:59:13 AM

beckpm wrote:

I downloaded ios 4.3 today and changed my unlimited plan to the 4GB plan so I could have the hotspot.

It works but is real sloooooow!   I ran speedtest.net and got 1.02 download and .06 upload.   I had all my 3g bars.

I wonder if it is just me - or did others get slow results also?????

Disappointed so far in Virginia.   Peter

The reason why it's slow is because you're using tethering, which is more like leeching into multiple devices. They may also have throttling going on since laptops use lots and lots of data.

Virginia - Yeah. I agree with you there. I hardly have good reception even in DC. Arlington's Pentagon doesn't even do cellular calls. I even reported the Holocaust museum as unable to do 3G and calls several times.

beckpm wrote:

I downloaded ios 4.3 today and changed my unlimited plan to the 4GB plan so I could have the hotspot.

It works but is real sloooooow!   I ran speedtest.net and got 1.02 download and .06 upload.   I had all my 3g bars.

The reason why it's slow is because you're using tethering, which is more like leeching into multiple devices. They may also have throttling going on since laptops use lots and lots of data.

Virginia - Yeah. I agree with you there. I hardly have good reception even in DC. Arlington's Pentagon doesn't even do cellular calls. I even reported the Holocaust museum as unable to do 3G and calls several times.

[ Edited ]
67 of 76 (1,266 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 18, 2011 1:31:30 PM
(0)
Expert

josephz2va wrote:

beckpm wrote:

Wow. For me in DC area and N VA my service has been tops. My downloads has been above 2 in 99 percent of the areas I go to. Actually, tests done by independent sources found that AT&T. Tops the others in DC metro area.

josephz2va wrote:

beckpm wrote:

Wow. For me in DC area and N VA my service has been tops. My downloads has been above 2 in 99 percent of the areas I go to. Actually, tests done by independent sources found that AT&T. Tops the others in DC metro area.

68 of 76 (1,236 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 18, 2011 3:14:31 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

My Maryland and DC service has been stellar, too.

My Maryland and DC service has been stellar, too.

69 of 76 (1,214 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 19, 2011 7:20:15 AM
(0)
Contributor
This is exactly what I would like to see.  Need the tethering on occassionally for light data,

AT&T can make some extra money off of me and keep me happy at the same time.

21stNow wrote:

This is exactly what I would like to see.  Need the tethering on occassionally for light data,

AT&T can make some extra money off of me and keep me happy at the same time.

21stNow wrote:

70 of 76 (1,141 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 19, 2011 10:57:38 AM
(0)
Mentor
I wouldn't need the hotspot feature every month. Is it possible to have the $25 plan most of the time, but switch to the $45 tether plan for just the months I would be traveling?
I wouldn't need the hotspot feature every month. Is it possible to have the $25 plan most of the time, but switch to the $45 tether plan for just the months I would be traveling?

71 of 76 (1,455 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 19, 2011 1:46:17 PM
(0)
Professor

artbytes wrote:

Yes, you can change your data plan at any time between any of the 3 currently available plans.  You can choose to have it start on a specific data or back date it to the beginning of your billing cycle.

artbytes wrote:

Yes, you can change your data plan at any time between any of the 3 currently available plans.  You can choose to have it start on a specific data or back date it to the beginning of your billing cycle.

72 of 76 (1,425 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 19, 2011 1:54:43 PM
(0)
Professor
But doesn't swapping back to a less expensive plan push back your upgrade eligibility date?
But doesn't swapping back to a less expensive plan push back your upgrade eligibility date?

73 of 76 (1,415 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 19, 2011 2:02:16 PM
(0)
Professor

dwill05 wrote:

Only voice plans affect eligibility upgrade dates.  Data is not tied in any way to your contract.

The only way it would affect eligibility is if you significantly reduce the total cost of service on a monthly basis.. that may mean you are now eligible at month 20 instead of month 18.

dwill05 wrote:

Only voice plans affect eligibility upgrade dates.  Data is not tied in any way to your contract.

The only way it would affect eligibility is if you significantly reduce the total cost of service on a monthly basis.. that may mean you are now eligible at month 20 instead of month 18.

74 of 76 (1,405 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 19, 2011 8:39:45 PM
(0)
Professor

Well, I went on my employer's FAN, and all that did was drop the cost of the iphone data plan $5 a month, and my upgrade eligibility data moved from 18 months to 21 months.  That was the only change that occurred when my date got pushed.  No change in voice plan, no change in texting.

Well, I went on my employer's FAN, and all that did was drop the cost of the iphone data plan $5 a month, and my upgrade eligibility data moved from 18 months to 21 months.  That was the only change that occurred when my date got pushed.  No change in voice plan, no change in texting.

75 of 76 (1,334 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 19, 2011 8:56:57 PM
(0)
Scholar
Your employee discount doesn't discount the voice plan?
Your employee discount doesn't discount the voice plan?

76 of 76 (1,323 Views)