Wireless Forums

Posted Mar 3, 2011
1:42:28 PM
View profile
iOS 4.3 Mobile Hotspot

I have unlimited on my iphone 4! I want the hotspot feature coming next week and don't know how they will charge me! Will i get prorated for 1 gb or will they change my plan automatically when i toggle the feature on in setting? Anyone who is a developer (cause you have the feature in 4.3 beta already) that has/had unlimited let me know what happens. Thanks!

I have unlimited on my iphone 4! I want the hotspot feature coming next week and don't know how they will charge me! Will i get prorated for 1 gb or will they change my plan automatically when i toggle the feature on in setting? Anyone who is a developer (cause you have the feature in 4.3 beta already) that has/had unlimited let me know what happens. Thanks!

iOS 4.3 Mobile Hotspot

75 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Cancel
Submit
Replies
(75)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 3, 2011 3:31:05 PM
(0)
Master

First you lose your unlimited plan and can never get it back.

That aside it depends on how you set up the plan (today, in the future, or backdate it to the beginning of the billing cycle).

If you do it today mid cycle it will be prorated.  The unlimited you were on won't matter as prorating unlimited is still unlimited.  Its the new 4GB tether plan you have to watch because of the number of days divided by the number of days left.

First you lose your unlimited plan and can never get it back.

That aside it depends on how you set up the plan (today, in the future, or backdate it to the beginning of the billing cycle).

If you do it today mid cycle it will be prorated.  The unlimited you were on won't matter as prorating unlimited is still unlimited.  Its the new 4GB tether plan you have to watch because of the number of days divided by the number of days left.

Re: iOS 4.3 Mobile Hotspot

2 of 76 (44,157 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 3, 2011 4:22:49 PM
(0)
Contributor

my cycle started on the 28th of feb., so if i set up tethering now, wouldn't i need to call att and change plans? or would i wait till 4.3 comes out and toggle the hotspot on? cause some developer with unlimited said they got a txt saying they switched plans AUTOMATICALLY cause they turned on the hotspot!  does this mean if i toggle it on next friday, they would allow 1 gb for $10, or would my plan completely switch to the 4gb $45 plan??? please reply cause im in a situation where i want the hotspot when it comes out on the 11th, but I ALSO want to KEEP UNLIMITED!!! i called att and they said if i want tethering, i loose my unlimited. can u explain step by step how exactly i can receive prorated hotspotting (for when it comes out next week)??!? Thanks. obviously i cannot get 2 gb without paying for the $45, but even prorated 1 gb for $10 would be nice. cause if i go over, it would end up being $20 for 2 (just like what the limited users get!) I need a solution to KEEP MY UNLIMITED AND ALSO BE ALLOWED TO HOTSPOT! Thanks again.

my cycle started on the 28th of feb., so if i set up tethering now, wouldn't i need to call att and change plans? or would i wait till 4.3 comes out and toggle the hotspot on? cause some developer with unlimited said they got a txt saying they switched plans AUTOMATICALLY cause they turned on the hotspot!  does this mean if i toggle it on next friday, they would allow 1 gb for $10, or would my plan completely switch to the 4gb $45 plan??? please reply cause im in a situation where i want the hotspot when it comes out on the 11th, but I ALSO want to KEEP UNLIMITED!!! i called att and they said if i want tethering, i loose my unlimited. can u explain step by step how exactly i can receive prorated hotspotting (for when it comes out next week)??!? Thanks. obviously i cannot get 2 gb without paying for the $45, but even prorated 1 gb for $10 would be nice. cause if i go over, it would end up being $20 for 2 (just like what the limited users get!) I need a solution to KEEP MY UNLIMITED AND ALSO BE ALLOWED TO HOTSPOT! Thanks again.

3 of 76 (44,124 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 3, 2011 7:32:19 PM
(0)
Professor

You aren't going to be able to keep unlimited data if you activate tethering/hotspot.  You have to go the to DataPro plan + hotspot which gives you 4GB for $45.  As far as activating the hotspot feature, I'd definitely wait until iOS4.3 comes out on March 11.  There is no value in trying to activate it today, if it's even possible,  Once you get 4.3 and go online or into the store to change your plan to the hotspot plan, they should automatically prorate your data plan in the system.  You don't have to do anything.  How much data you have remaining will depend on where you are in your billing cycle when you swap plans.  If you are 1/2 way into your billing cycle, you'll have 2GB left for the rest of the cycle.  If you are 3/4 of the way into your billing cycle, you'll have 1 GB left for the rest of the cycle.  At least that's how I understand it.

You aren't going to be able to keep unlimited data if you activate tethering/hotspot.  You have to go the to DataPro plan + hotspot which gives you 4GB for $45.  As far as activating the hotspot feature, I'd definitely wait until iOS4.3 comes out on March 11.  There is no value in trying to activate it today, if it's even possible,  Once you get 4.3 and go online or into the store to change your plan to the hotspot plan, they should automatically prorate your data plan in the system.  You don't have to do anything.  How much data you have remaining will depend on where you are in your billing cycle when you swap plans.  If you are 1/2 way into your billing cycle, you'll have 2GB left for the rest of the cycle.  If you are 3/4 of the way into your billing cycle, you'll have 1 GB left for the rest of the cycle.  At least that's how I understand it.

4 of 76 (44,017 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 3, 2011 10:09:21 PM
(0)
Master

iphoneuser4 wrote:

I need a solution to KEEP MY UNLIMITED AND ALSO BE ALLOWED TO HOTSPOT! Thanks again. 

That will not happen.  You need to pick one or the other.  What is more important to you.

• Keeping your unlimited data plan and NOT being allowed to tether

or

• Being able to tether on the 4GB data plan and losing your unlimited data plan.
You only get one option.

iphoneuser4 wrote:

I need a solution to KEEP MY UNLIMITED AND ALSO BE ALLOWED TO HOTSPOT! Thanks again. 

That will not happen.  You need to pick one or the other.  What is more important to you.

or

• Being able to tether on the 4GB data plan and losing your unlimited data plan.
You only get one option.

5 of 76 (43,973 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 4, 2011 6:46:09 AM
(0)
Master
Edited by youngjm on Mar 4, 2011 at 6:46:39 AM

Planet-Ed wrote:

iphoneuser4 wrote:

or

You only get one option.

To all who are weighing this decision, ask yourself how often do you really need a hotspot?  with 4GB of data, I would think that it is not enough to use as a consultant on the road at a client?    I know that I frequent establishments that offer free wifi.  If I am traveling and I am not near a hotspot I will then take advantage of my iPhone for looking things up.  I also hold off on using those things on my computer that need internet access.  Basicially a business that offers free wifi is going to get my attention and support.  They are ahead with increased sales and I am ahead since I do not have to pay extra to access the internet.

I am sure there is a smaller segment that truly needs the hotspot and I would not argue against their need for this feature with significantly higher and/or non-existent caps but I wonder how many folks just want it becasue it is a cool feature?  I know I do but I am not willing to part with my unlimited data or the additional money to get that feature for personal use.

If ATT did charge a higher rate for a plan with a higher or non-existent cap, this might be OK since it would most likely be for a businesses that can deduct this as an expense.  Yes I know we would all like lower costs for doing business as it probably does not cost ATT anywhere near this to provide the access; but it would also stop the masses who just want it becasue it is cool and ends up clogging the network when free wifi might be better for all of us? Why do you think ATT provides free wifi at their hotspots for iPhone users?  They want the traffic going straight to a land line.

JAT - Please respond kindly:smileytongue:

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

Planet-Ed wrote:

iphoneuser4 wrote:

or

You only get one option.

To all who are weighing this decision, ask yourself how often do you really need a hotspot?  with 4GB of data, I would think that it is not enough to use as a consultant on the road at a client?    I know that I frequent establishments that offer free wifi.  If I am traveling and I am not near a hotspot I will then take advantage of my iPhone for looking things up.  I also hold off on using those things on my computer that need internet access.  Basicially a business that offers free wifi is going to get my attention and support.  They are ahead with increased sales and I am ahead since I do not have to pay extra to access the internet.

I am sure there is a smaller segment that truly needs the hotspot and I would not argue against their need for this feature with significantly higher and/or non-existent caps but I wonder how many folks just want it becasue it is a cool feature?  I know I do but I am not willing to part with my unlimited data or the additional money to get that feature for personal use.

If ATT did charge a higher rate for a plan with a higher or non-existent cap, this might be OK since it would most likely be for a businesses that can deduct this as an expense.  Yes I know we would all like lower costs for doing business as it probably does not cost ATT anywhere near this to provide the access; but it would also stop the masses who just want it becasue it is cool and ends up clogging the network when free wifi might be better for all of us? Why do you think ATT provides free wifi at their hotspots for iPhone users?  They want the traffic going straight to a land line.

JAT - Please respond kindly:smileytongue:

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Posted from my iPhone _____________________________ For service or support questions including existing order status, call: Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500 Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser: https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

[ Edited ]
6 of 76 (43,889 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 4, 2011 7:53:17 AM
(0)
Professor
Edited by dwill05 on Mar 4, 2011 at 7:54:58 AM

I don't think this is really for business.  If they have the need, they already have MiFi, or data cards.

I'm considering it for a couple of reasons.  First, in many hotels, what they call "high speed internet" is usually 768K at best.  When I'm at a hotel, it's discouraging that I'm limited to that speed while my phone gets 2Mbits or more over 3G.  I know I can do stuff on the phone, but sometimes it's more desirable to do things on a much bigger screen on a device with a keyboard and a mouse.  Second, I'm considering a WiFi ipad and this would allow me to use the iPad in areas that have 3G, but don't have WiFi, for example at work.

For those who are worried about giving up unlimited data, how much do you actually use?  I agree that the previous plan that charged you $20 for tethering with no increase in the 2GB data cap was pretty poor, but now you have 4GB.  I have unlimited now, but the most I've ever used in a billing period on my phone is 1.1 GB, and most months it's under 800 MB.  For me, 4GB is essentially unlimited, even if I used a laptop or iPad, since I'd only use the hotspot when away from WiFi, so I don't see even getting close to 4GB.  I think a lot of people like the concept of unlimited data and don't want to give it up for that reason alone, even though they don't ever use enough data to get even close to the 2GB or 4GB limit.

I think it may work for me, but understand that other people have different usage patterns.

I don't think this is really for business.  If they have the need, they already have MiFi, or data cards.

I'm considering it for a couple of reasons.  First, in many hotels, what they call "high speed internet" is usually 768K at best.  When I'm at a hotel, it's discouraging that I'm limited to that speed while my phone gets 2Mbits or more over 3G.  I know I can do stuff on the phone, but sometimes it's more desirable to do things on a much bigger screen on a device with a keyboard and a mouse.  Second, I'm considering a WiFi ipad and this would allow me to use the iPad in areas that have 3G, but don't have WiFi, for example at work.

For those who are worried about giving up unlimited data, how much do you actually use?  I agree that the previous plan that charged you $20 for tethering with no increase in the 2GB data cap was pretty poor, but now you have 4GB.  I have unlimited now, but the most I've ever used in a billing period on my phone is 1.1 GB, and most months it's under 800 MB.  For me, 4GB is essentially unlimited, even if I used a laptop or iPad, since I'd only use the hotspot when away from WiFi, so I don't see even getting close to 4GB.  I think a lot of people like the concept of unlimited data and don't want to give it up for that reason alone, even though they don't ever use enough data to get even close to the 2GB or 4GB limit.

I think it may work for me, but understand that other people have different usage patterns.

[ Edited ]
7 of 76 (43,860 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 5, 2011 10:43:17 AM
(0)
Guru
Edited by tonester on Mar 5, 2011 at 10:43:52 AM

It should be noted that, unless things change before iOS 4.3 is released, not only will you need to give up your unlimited plan (if you're currently on it) for the DataPro w/ Tethering plan...it appears that your phone will need to be an iPhone 4 (or newer model) as well--the Apple web page for iOS 4.3 explicitly mentions that Hotspot will work on iPhone 4, but does not explicitly mention as to whether it will work on iPhone 3G/3GS--note that the heading for the Hotspot section reads, "Personal Hotspot for iPhone 4"...

It should be noted that, unless things change before iOS 4.3 is released, not only will you need to give up your unlimited plan (if you're currently on it) for the DataPro w/ Tethering plan...it appears that your phone will need to be an iPhone 4 (or newer model) as well--the Apple web page for iOS 4.3 explicitly mentions that Hotspot will work on iPhone 4, but does not explicitly mention as to whether it will work on iPhone 3G/3GS--note that the heading for the Hotspot section reads, "Personal Hotspot for iPhone 4"...

[ Edited ]
8 of 76 (43,536 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 5, 2011 10:47:08 PM
(0)
Scholar

Data doesn't stop if you go over your limit.  It is $10/1GB for overage.  $55 for 5GB, $65 for 6GB, etc.

Data doesn't stop if you go over your limit.  It is $10/1GB for overage.  $55 for 5GB, $65 for 6GB, etc.

9 of 76 (43,404 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 9, 2011 10:59:15 AM
(0)
Tutor

I couldn't agree more.  I consider myself a realtively heavy data user and the most I have ever used in 1 month was 1.8GB.

I will admit that I have found the idea of no longer having unlimited data hard to deal with.  But overall paying $15 more a month to have what is likely to be more data than I would ever use (even with a laptop) and have the hotspot feature is tempting.  Keep in mind that I know enough to not try to download a couple of HD movies off of iTunes when using my hotspot.

My main dilemma is that I wouldn't use the hotspot feature all the time so would it really be worth paying an extra $15 a month....

I couldn't agree more.  I consider myself a realtively heavy data user and the most I have ever used in 1 month was 1.8GB.

I will admit that I have found the idea of no longer having unlimited data hard to deal with.  But overall paying $15 more a month to have what is likely to be more data than I would ever use (even with a laptop) and have the hotspot feature is tempting.  Keep in mind that I know enough to not try to download a couple of HD movies off of iTunes when using my hotspot.

My main dilemma is that I wouldn't use the hotspot feature all the time so would it really be worth paying an extra $15 a month....

10 of 76 (42,317 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 9, 2011 11:25:22 AM
(0)
Professor
Edited by josephz2va on Mar 9, 2011 at 11:29:33 AM

Javeon wrote:

Correct, it would be like this per overage:

2GB3GB4GB5GB6GB7GB8GB
 2GB Plan  $          25 $          35 $          45 $          55 $          65 $          75 $          85
Tethered   $          45 $          55 $          65 $          75 $          85

Aside from taxes, voice plan, text plan, etc

Javeon wrote:

2GB3GB4GB5GB6GB7GB8GB
 2GB Plan  $          25 $          35 $          45 $          55 $          65 $          75 $          85
Tethered   $          45 $          55 $          65 $          75 $          85

[ Edited ]
11 of 76 (8,193 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 9, 2011 12:36:29 PM
(0)
Professor
Allright, 4.3 is out. Who's activated the hotspot?
Allright, 4.3 is out. Who's activated the hotspot?

12 of 76 (8,143 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 9, 2011 12:45:17 PM
(0)
Guru
Edited by archermoo on Mar 9, 2011 at 12:48:12 PM

josephz2va wrote:

Javeon wrote:

2GB3GB4GB5GB6GB7GB8GB

Which is why it would be nice if AT&T would just get rid of the Tethered plan entirely.  All it is is prepaying on the first 2GB of extra data used.  Which generates them an extra $20/month from people who want to tether but don't use more than 2GB of data per month even when tethering.

josephz2va wrote:

Javeon wrote:

2GB3GB4GB5GB6GB7GB8GB

Which is why it would be nice if AT&T would just get rid of the Tethered plan entirely.  All it is is prepaying on the first 2GB of extra data used.  Which generates them an extra $20/month from people who want to tether but don't use more than 2GB of data per month even when tethering.

[ Edited ]
13 of 76 (8,132 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 9, 2011 1:21:08 PM
(0)
Professor
Edited by josephz2va on Mar 9, 2011 at 1:22:08 PM

Actually I think they got rid of the $20 fee based on the formula.

If I recall it was $45 for 2GB Tethering and $25 for not tethering.

[ Edited ]
14 of 76 (8,087 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 9, 2011 2:13:21 PM
(0)
Guru

josephz2va wrote:

Correct, it was $45 for 2GB Tethering and $25 for the standard plan.  Now it is $45 for tethering, which includes 4GB of data, or $25 for the standard plan which includes 2GB of data.  Which is to say that if you use more than 3GB of data per month the plans cost the same.  So the current tethering plan is basically just the standard 2GB data plan, but they make you pay up front each month for an extra 2GB of data, whether you use it or not.

josephz2va wrote:

Correct, it was $45 for 2GB Tethering and $25 for the standard plan.  Now it is $45 for tethering, which includes 4GB of data, or $25 for the standard plan which includes 2GB of data.  Which is to say that if you use more than 3GB of data per month the plans cost the same.  So the current tethering plan is basically just the standard 2GB data plan, but they make you pay up front each month for an extra 2GB of data, whether you use it or not.

15 of 76 (8,037 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 9, 2011 4:20:23 PM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by johnmharte on Mar 9, 2011 at 4:22:58 PM

Ditto, 

So who is using the hotspot now?  I already have the 4GB Pro tethering plan enabled on my work iPhone and as of today I'm still not able to do anything other than bluetooth or USB teathering.  Which is pretty useless with my wifi ipad...

Got a nice long drive in the car for 8+ hours tomorrow...would be great to have this on.  

Reports?  Does it work?

Ditto, 

So who is using the hotspot now?  I already have the 4GB Pro tethering plan enabled on my work iPhone and as of today I'm still not able to do anything other than bluetooth or USB teathering.  Which is pretty useless with my wifi ipad...

Got a nice long drive in the car for 8+ hours tomorrow...would be great to have this on.  

Reports?  Does it work?

[ Edited ]
16 of 76 (7,955 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 9, 2011 5:00:52 PM
(0)
Scholar
Mobile Hotspot isn't available until 4.3. Since iPad 2 has 4.3 on it, the software update will most likely be then too. It's unfortunate since other smartphones have apps they can use to allow tethering without a tethering plan. It makes sense to allow tethering since the overage pay per use is the same.
Mobile Hotspot isn't available until 4.3. Since iPad 2 has 4.3 on it, the software update will most likely be then too. It's unfortunate since other smartphones have apps they can use to allow tethering without a tethering plan. It makes sense to allow tethering since the overage pay per use is the same.

17 of 76 (7,925 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 9, 2011 5:19:30 PM
(0)
Tutor

I downloaded ios 4.3 today and changed my unlimited plan to the 4GB plan so I could have the hotspot.

It works but is real sloooooow!   I ran speedtest.net and got 1.02 download and .06 upload.   I had all my 3g bars.

I wonder if it is just me - or did others get slow results also?????

Disappointed so far in Virginia.   Peter

I downloaded ios 4.3 today and changed my unlimited plan to the 4GB plan so I could have the hotspot.

It works but is real sloooooow!   I ran speedtest.net and got 1.02 download and .06 upload.   I had all my 3g bars.

18 of 76 (7,900 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 9, 2011 5:33:38 PM
(0)
Professor
Edited by dwill05 on Mar 9, 2011 at 5:42:48 PM

beckpm wrote:

Did you run speedtest with and without the hotspot on to see if there was a difference in speeds?   My 3G speeds seem variable.  I ran three tests in a row on 3G.  The downloads were 3.19, 0.90, and 0.73.  Uploads were consistent at 1.24 - 1.22.

beckpm wrote:

Did you run speedtest with and without the hotspot on to see if there was a difference in speeds?   My 3G speeds seem variable.  I ran three tests in a row on 3G.  The downloads were 3.19, 0.90, and 0.73.  Uploads were consistent at 1.24 - 1.22.

[ Edited ]
19 of 76 (7,886 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 9, 2011 6:23:29 PM
(0)
Tutor

Without the hotspot on I got Ping=512ms,  Download=1.63Mbps, and Upload=.06Mbps    Do you think these numbers we are getting are what we should expect?   Peter

Without the hotspot on I got Ping=512ms,  Download=1.63Mbps, and Upload=.06Mbps    Do you think these numbers we are getting are what we should expect?   Peter

20 of 76 (7,833 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 9, 2011 6:26:17 PM
(0)
Tutor

This may be a silly question:   If I have my iPhone connected to a fast wifi network - would the hotspot re-distribute the wifi or would it revert to the 3G signal to distribute?   I might try that experiment one of these days unless someone knows the answer. 

This may be a silly question:   If I have my iPhone connected to a fast wifi network - would the hotspot re-distribute the wifi or would it revert to the 3G signal to distribute?   I might try that experiment one of these days unless someone knows the answer. 

21 of 76 (8,115 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 9, 2011 7:07:38 PM
(0)
Professor

beckpm wrote:

Um, why would it need to or why would you want it to redistribute the Wi-Fi?

I can say definitively that it does NOT redistribute the Wi-Fi, that would be silly and pointless.

The Wi-Fi hotspot is only for redistributing the cellular data signal. 

beckpm wrote:

Um, why would it need to or why would you want it to redistribute the Wi-Fi?

I can say definitively that it does NOT redistribute the Wi-Fi, that would be silly and pointless.

The Wi-Fi hotspot is only for redistributing the cellular data signal. 

22 of 76 (8,081 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 9, 2011 7:11:28 PM
(0)
Professor
Edited by satchev on Mar 9, 2011 at 7:16:23 PM

beckpm wrote:

Those are actually pretty normal 3G speeds. 

If I remember correctly 2Mbps is about make for 3G.  In order to get faster speeds you would need an HSPA+ capable device.  Current iPhone's are not HSPA+ capable.

EDIT:  I just ran a speedtest on my 3GS and got 3.2 and 3.37Mbps download on two back to back tests.  Both resulted in .28Mbps upload.

beckpm wrote:

Those are actually pretty normal 3G speeds. 

If I remember correctly 2Mbps is about make for 3G.  In order to get faster speeds you would need an HSPA+ capable device.  Current iPhone's are not HSPA+ capable.

EDIT:  I just ran a speedtest on my 3GS and got 3.2 and 3.37Mbps download on two back to back tests.  Both resulted in .28Mbps upload.

[ Edited ]
23 of 76 (8,077 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 9, 2011 7:14:32 PM
(0)
Expert

beckpm wrote:

well for me with no hotspot, the down is running between 2.7 and 3.2 which the up seems to be consistent at around 1.6.  One thing I have to say if I do the test between 5 pm and 7 pm the down seems to go down to 1.5   Last week I was in area that is less than half a mile from my current test location and my tests were at less than 0.600 and for down and up was at 1.6.  I did the mark the spot report and I would have to test that area again when I am there tomorrow. 

beckpm wrote:

well for me with no hotspot, the down is running between 2.7 and 3.2 which the up seems to be consistent at around 1.6.  One thing I have to say if I do the test between 5 pm and 7 pm the down seems to go down to 1.5   Last week I was in area that is less than half a mile from my current test location and my tests were at less than 0.600 and for down and up was at 1.6.  I did the mark the spot report and I would have to test that area again when I am there tomorrow. 

24 of 76 (8,072 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 10, 2011 2:34:04 AM
(0)
Tutor

not all wifi is free!  I subscribe to one service that allows one login at a time.

not all wifi is free!  I subscribe to one service that allows one login at a time.

25 of 76 (7,847 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 10, 2011 5:35:03 AM
(0)
Professor
So, has anyone tried the hotspot with a laptop or iPad? How's it working? There are reports on the Apple forums of the hotspots disconnecting after a few minutes.
So, has anyone tried the hotspot with a laptop or iPad? How's it working? There are reports on the Apple forums of the hotspots disconnecting after a few minutes.

26 of 76 (7,817 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 10, 2011 12:16:42 PM
(0)
Professor
Where do you find the hotspot feature on the iphone? I haven't seen it.
Where do you find the hotspot feature on the iphone? I haven't seen it.

27 of 76 (7,617 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 10, 2011 12:36:27 PM
(0)
Professor
Nevermind. I found the setup for the feature under settings -> Network.
Nevermind. I found the setup for the feature under settings -> Network.

28 of 76 (7,604 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 12, 2011 1:54:57 PM
(0)
Tutor

The answer I got from customer support (as an unlimited data plan customer) is: Mobile Hotspot is not compatible with the Unlimited Data plan. Which, logically, is... completely illogical.

Unlimited Data is... *Unlimited Data* people. I am floored that some have simply upgraded to the Mobile Hotspot plan without a word. Nor a second thought. Nary a complaint.

Hello? Twitter anyone with smart hashtagging (#iPhone #custserv #ATT) ? Facebook? If AT&T can throttle the bandwidth on your phone, even though you are paying for an Unlimited Plan, unless you fork over some cash to get the extra pipeline... what does that say?

Use the brain cells you have, and spread the word to raise awareness, rather than simply rolling over and paying yet one more fee. Please!

The answer I got from customer support (as an unlimited data plan customer) is: Mobile Hotspot is not compatible with the Unlimited Data plan. Which, logically, is... completely illogical.

Unlimited Data is... *Unlimited Data* people. I am floored that some have simply upgraded to the Mobile Hotspot plan without a word. Nor a second thought. Nary a complaint.

Hello? Twitter anyone with smart hashtagging (#iPhone #custserv #ATT) ? Facebook? If AT&T can throttle the bandwidth on your phone, even though you are paying for an Unlimited Plan, unless you fork over some cash to get the extra pipeline... what does that say?

Use the brain cells you have, and spread the word to raise awareness, rather than simply rolling over and paying yet one more fee. Please!

29 of 76 (7,055 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 12, 2011 2:32:54 PM
(0)
Contributor

I'm so going to enjoy dropping AT&T when my contract is up! They still act like they have the iPhone monopoly. 

I'm so going to enjoy dropping AT&T when my contract is up! They still act like they have the iPhone monopoly. 

30 of 76 (7,034 Views)