iOS 4.3 Mobile Hotspot

iOS 4.3 Mobile Hotspot

I have unlimited on my iphone 4! I want the hotspot feature coming next week and don't know how they will charge me! Will i get prorated for 1 gb or will they change my plan automatically when i toggle the feature on in setting? Anyone who is a developer (cause you have the feature in 4.3 beta already) that has/had unlimited let me know what happens. Thanks!

Message 1 of 76 (45,517 Views)
Highlighted
Contributor

Re: iOS 4.3 Mobile Hotspot

[ Edited ]

Ditto, 

So who is using the hotspot now?  I already have the 4GB Pro tethering plan enabled on my work iPhone and as of today I'm still not able to do anything other than bluetooth or USB teathering.  Which is pretty useless with my wifi ipad...

Got a nice long drive in the car for 8+ hours tomorrow...would be great to have this on.  

Reports?  Does it work?

Message 16 of 76 (8,527 Views)
Scholar

Mobile Hotspot isn't available until 4.3. Since iPad 2 has 4.3 on it, the software update will most likely be then too. It's unfortunate since other smartphones have apps they can use to allow tethering without a tethering plan. It makes sense to allow tethering since the overage pay per use is the same.
Message 17 of 76 (8,497 Views)
Tutor

I downloaded ios 4.3 today and changed my unlimited plan to the 4GB plan so I could have the hotspot.

It works but is real sloooooow!   I ran speedtest.net and got 1.02 download and .06 upload.   I had all my 3g bars.

I wonder if it is just me - or did others get slow results also?????

Disappointed so far in Virginia.   Peter

Message 18 of 76 (8,472 Views)
Professor

[ Edited ]

beckpm wrote:

I downloaded ios 4.3 today and changed my unlimited plan to the 4GB plan so I could have the hotspot.

It works but is real sloooooow!   I ran speedtest.net and got 1.02 download and .06 upload.   I had all my 3g bars.

I wonder if it is just me - or did others get slow results also?????

Disappointed so far in Virginia.   Peter

Did you run speedtest with and without the hotspot on to see if there was a difference in speeds?   My 3G speeds seem variable.  I ran three tests in a row on 3G.  The downloads were 3.19, 0.90, and 0.73.  Uploads were consistent at 1.24 - 1.22.

Message 19 of 76 (8,458 Views)
Tutor

Without the hotspot on I got Ping=512ms,  Download=1.63Mbps, and Upload=.06Mbps    Do you think these numbers we are getting are what we should expect?   Peter

Message 20 of 76 (8,405 Views)
Tutor

This may be a silly question:   If I have my iPhone connected to a fast wifi network - would the hotspot re-distribute the wifi or would it revert to the 3G signal to distribute?   I might try that experiment one of these days unless someone knows the answer. 

Message 21 of 76 (8,687 Views)
Professor

beckpm wrote:

This may be a silly question:   If I have my iPhone connected to a fast wifi network - would the hotspot re-distribute the wifi or would it revert to the 3G signal to distribute?   I might try that experiment one of these days unless someone knows the answer. 

Um, why would it need to or why would you want it to redistribute the Wi-Fi?

I can say definitively that it does NOT redistribute the Wi-Fi, that would be silly and pointless.

The Wi-Fi hotspot is only for redistributing the cellular data signal. 

Message 22 of 76 (8,653 Views)
Professor

[ Edited ]

beckpm wrote:

Without the hotspot on I got Ping=512ms,  Download=1.63Mbps, and Upload=.06Mbps    Do you think these numbers we are getting are what we should expect?   Peter

Those are actually pretty normal 3G speeds. 

If I remember correctly 2Mbps is about make for 3G.  In order to get faster speeds you would need an HSPA+ capable device.  Current iPhone's are not HSPA+ capable.

EDIT:  I just ran a speedtest on my 3GS and got 3.2 and 3.37Mbps download on two back to back tests.  Both resulted in .28Mbps upload.

Message 23 of 76 (8,649 Views)
Expert

beckpm wrote:

well for me with no hotspot, the down is running between 2.7 and 3.2 which the up seems to be consistent at around 1.6.  One thing I have to say if I do the test between 5 pm and 7 pm the down seems to go down to 1.5   Last week I was in area that is less than half a mile from my current test location and my tests were at less than 0.600 and for down and up was at 1.6.  I did the mark the spot report and I would have to test that area again when I am there tomorrow. 

Message 24 of 76 (8,644 Views)
Tutor

not all wifi is free!  I subscribe to one service that allows one login at a time.

Message 25 of 76 (8,419 Views)
Professor

So, has anyone tried the hotspot with a laptop or iPad? How's it working? There are reports on the Apple forums of the hotspots disconnecting after a few minutes.
Message 26 of 76 (8,389 Views)
Professor

Where do you find the hotspot feature on the iphone? I haven't seen it.
Message 27 of 76 (8,189 Views)
Professor

Nevermind. I found the setup for the feature under settings -> Network.
Message 28 of 76 (8,176 Views)
Tutor

The answer I got from customer support (as an unlimited data plan customer) is: Mobile Hotspot is not compatible with the Unlimited Data plan. Which, logically, is... completely illogical.

Unlimited Data is... *Unlimited Data* people. I am floored that some have simply upgraded to the Mobile Hotspot plan without a word. Nor a second thought. Nary a complaint.

Hello? Twitter anyone with smart hashtagging (#iPhone #custserv #ATT) ? Facebook? If AT&T can throttle the bandwidth on your phone, even though you are paying for an Unlimited Plan, unless you fork over some cash to get the extra pipeline... what does that say?

Use the brain cells you have, and spread the word to raise awareness, rather than simply rolling over and paying yet one more fee. Please!

Message 29 of 76 (7,627 Views)
Contributor

I'm so going to enjoy dropping AT&T when my contract is up! They still act like they have the iPhone monopoly. 

Message 30 of 76 (7,606 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.