iOS 4.3.5 out already

Professor

iOS 4.3.5 out already

Seems like it was only a couple of weeks ago that 4.3.4 was released, and now 4.3.5 is out.  Says it fixes some secutity certificate error.  How buggy is this software anyway?

Message 1 of 11 (661 Views)

Re: iOS 4.3.5 out already

An OS is an incredibly complicated and difficult piece of software.  It's impossible to find all security holes and bugs due to this complexity.

The more your OS does the more increases this difficulty and complexity too.

I'd like all the Apple fanbois out there remember this when Microsoft has issues...

Message 2 of 11 (632 Views)
Expert

[ Edited ]

DimentoGraven wrote:

An OS is an incredibly complicated and difficult piece of software.  It's impossible to find all security holes and bugs due to this complexity.

The more your OS does the more increases this difficulty and complexity too.

I'd like all the Apple fanbois out there remember this when Microsoft has issues...

contrary to popular belief there is no OS that is immune to stupid coding or hacking no matter what anybody claims. MS, Appe, Linux, Unix they all have their security issues, anyon that does not believe that is living in the land of Smurfs. The same goes with browsers, read the CERT reports that are published weekly

Message 3 of 11 (606 Views)
Scholar

dwill05 wrote:

Seems like it was only a couple of weeks ago that 4.3.4 was released, and now 4.3.5 is out.  Says it fixes some secutity certificate error.  How buggy is this software anyway?

I don't mind the frequent updates, I am bothered by how they force your to download the ENTIRE OS each time.  All 666.6MB.  On a side note, you used to be able to right click (on a Windows machine) on the update button and update from the saved file.  With the recent upgrade to iTunes, this doesn't work anymore.  Is there any way to update an iPhone from a saved file?  three iPhones in our house and I hate having to download the file three times.

Message 4 of 11 (594 Views)
ACE - Professor

dwill05 wrote:

How buggy is this software anyway?

Not very. Its an artifact of the "update via iTunes vs OTA" methodology that minor things, like updating/fixing root certs (which happens in Windows about 4 times a year) seems like an update...

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 5 of 11 (575 Views)
Scholar

E the P wrote:

dwill05 wrote:

I don't mind the frequent updates, I am bothered by how they force your to download the ENTIRE OS each time.  All 666.6MB.  On a side note, you used to be able to right click (on a Windows machine) on the update button and update from the saved file.  With the recent upgrade to iTunes, this doesn't work anymore.  Is there any way to update an iPhone from a saved file?  three iPhones in our house and I hate having to download the file three times.

Suppoosedly, iOS 5 will only download the changed items, not a complete OS. Not sure how to download the OS and use it for multiple phones.

Message 6 of 11 (554 Views)
Guru

smalcom wrote:

E the P wrote:

dwill05 wrote:

Suppoosedly, iOS 5 will only download the changed items, not a complete OS. Not sure how to download the OS and use it for multiple phones.

There are ways...just that most--if not all--of them are not officially-approved (by Apple) methods.  In a nutshell--download the OS from a site that is hosting the file(s), save them to your computer, then in iTunes do a (I think) Shift-Update (if using Windows) and point to the location where the downloaded file was saved to.  Once you've updated your device, then use the Restore function (if desired) to restore your songs/videos/apps/etc.--this assumes of course that you synced/backed up your device in iTunes just prior to updating it with the latest OS.

Message 7 of 11 (513 Views)
Scholar

tonester wrote:

smalcom wrote:

E the P wrote:

dwill05 wrote:

There are ways...just that most--if not all--of them are not officially-approved (by Apple) methods.  In a nutshell--download the OS from a site that is hosting the file(s), save them to your computer, then in iTunes do a (I think) Shift-Update (if using Windows) and point to the location where the downloaded file was saved to.  Once you've updated your device, then use the Restore function (if desired) to restore your songs/videos/apps/etc.--this assumes of course that you synced/backed up your device in iTunes just prior to updating it with the latest OS.

Thanks, I was using the right click, not shift click.  I'll try that next time.

Message 8 of 11 (494 Views)
Guru

I hate when OS updates come out all the time. I do understand its for security (considering this update is for a certificate issue) but i cant wait for ios 5 delta updating. No more 666.6MB . Plus the OTA update is amazing and will be the best addition.

Message 9 of 11 (344 Views)
Professor

Yeah, that will be great. OTA is the way to go.
Message 10 of 11 (322 Views)
Highlighted
Guru

For the first time attempt at OTA updates, apple had done real well.
Message 11 of 11 (177 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.