Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Highlighted
Posted Sep 22, 2010
9:14:24 AM
View profile
iOS 4.2

Is anyone here using the beta for iOS 4.2? I've read that iOS 4.2 it gives you the ability to change the SMS tone for every contact...Any true in that for anyone using the beta?

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.

Is anyone here using the beta for iOS 4.2? I've read that iOS 4.2 it gives you the ability to change the SMS tone for every contact...Any true in that for anyone using the beta?

iOS 4.2

12 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(12)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 22, 2010 9:18:41 AM
(0)
Teacher

While I've read similar statements around the web, my question to further yours would be will there be additional sms alert tones added in the 4.2 update because I'm sure we all have more than 6 contacts.

While I've read similar statements around the web, my question to further yours would be will there be additional sms alert tones added in the 4.2 update because I'm sure we all have more than 6 contacts.

Re: iOS 4.2

2 of 13 (1,938 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 22, 2010 9:37:50 AM
(0)
Professor

Note that no developer can confirm this as they have signed an NDA waiver. They are not permitted to confirm any alterations that Apple has not announced.

Note that no developer can confirm this as they have signed an NDA waiver. They are not permitted to confirm any alterations that Apple has not announced.

3 of 13 (1,920 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 22, 2010 12:51:35 PM
(0)
Scholar

That would sure be nice but I would be happy to at least  be able to have a custom default tone so at least we would know who's iPhone was going off.

That would sure be nice but I would be happy to at least  be able to have a custom default tone so at least we would know who's iPhone was going off.

4 of 13 (1,836 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 23, 2010 3:23:46 AM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by benjitek on Sep 23, 2010 at 3:31:53 AM

MenInBlack wrote:

As 4.2 is in beta, it won't be known how the final functionality of SMS tone customization will work.  In the current beta, you can select SMS tones per contact, however, they must be one of the existing system SMS tone options.  As with the current version of the OS, you are unable to add your own SMS tones to select from.  With luck that'll change, but I'm kinda thinking it won't...  It could even be that while this is an option in the beta, it'll be removed from the release version -- ya never know...

MenInBlack wrote:

As 4.2 is in beta, it won't be known how the final functionality of SMS tone customization will work.  In the current beta, you can select SMS tones per contact, however, they must be one of the existing system SMS tone options.  As with the current version of the OS, you are unable to add your own SMS tones to select from.  With luck that'll change, but I'm kinda thinking it won't...  It could even be that while this is an option in the beta, it'll be removed from the release version -- ya never know...

[ Edited ]
5 of 13 (1,681 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 23, 2010 10:13:23 AM
(0)
Scholar

to me anyway this would be pointless if we still cant choose our own personal tones

to me anyway this would be pointless if we still cant choose our own personal tones

6 of 13 (1,594 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 23, 2010 12:10:34 PM
(0)
Scholar

...then don't use the feature...

...then don't use the feature...

7 of 13 (1,552 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 23, 2010 6:12:14 PM
(0)
Professor

thats why my Iphone might be going to ebay..

hello!!!

8 of 13 (1,485 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 23, 2010 9:14:16 PM
(0)
Mentor
The chances of apple letting us make our own text tones are slim to none. As long as apple doesnt give all users what they want that's where jailbreaking comes in.
The chances of apple letting us make our own text tones are slim to none. As long as apple doesnt give all users what they want that's where jailbreaking comes in.

9 of 13 (1,423 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 24, 2010 3:25:24 AM
(0)
Scholar

graphite07 wrote:

It's just a SMS message tone, seems so petty to be the reason not to keep a device.  No matter what you get, there'll always be something you wish it did, or did differently.  You'll be selling a lot of mobile devices from a many manufacturers without ever finding one that does everything you think it should.  Have fun Smiley Wink

graphite07 wrote:

It's just a SMS message tone, seems so petty to be the reason not to keep a device.  No matter what you get, there'll always be something you wish it did, or did differently.  You'll be selling a lot of mobile devices from a many manufacturers without ever finding one that does everything you think it should.  Have fun Smiley Wink

10 of 13 (1,378 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 24, 2010 1:32:59 PM
(0)
Teacher
I just wish they would get MMS right.

11 of 13 (550 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 25, 2010 4:27:37 AM
(0)
Scholar

canineman wrote:

Mine works great! Smiley Very Happy

canineman wrote:

Mine works great! Smiley Very Happy

12 of 13 (491 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 25, 2010 6:23:41 AM
(0)
Professor

canineman wrote:

And what exactly do you think is wrong with MMS?

canineman wrote:

And what exactly do you think is wrong with MMS?

13 of 13 (479 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments