Helpful Links

how do i know which ebay/amazon 3rd party gsm phones do not require a data plan

Contributor

how do i know which ebay/amazon 3rd party gsm phones do not require a data plan

Hi there.  I'm trying to replace my daughters phone, which is not on my plan.   I've always been a  verizon customer so I'm not familiar with how AT&T and gsm works.    She can't have a data plan.....Is there a way to know for sure which phones will not require her to have a data plan?   Obviously these aren't phones that are going to show up on an aT&T corporate list.  they are discontinued or are t-mobile.   Any advice on how to proceed with getting this phone would be appreciated. 

Thanks in advance

Dave

Tags (2)
Message 1 of 2
Expert

Re: how do i know which ebay/amazon 3rd party gsm phones do not require a data plan

alexsupertramp wrote:

Hi there.  I'm trying to replace my daughters phone, which is not on my plan.   I've always been a  verizon customer so I'm not familiar with how AT&T and gsm works.    She can't have a data plan.....Is there a way to know for sure which phones will not require her to have a data plan?   Obviously these aren't phones that are going to show up on an aT&T corporate list.  they are discontinued or are t-mobile.   Any advice on how to proceed with getting this phone would be appreciated. 

Thanks in advance

Dave

Any smartphone, be it bought from ATT, bought from ebay or craigslist will require a data plan, while it maybe used for awhile with none, if and when ATT determines it is a smartphone they will automaticly add the plan for you to be complaint. that lets out any phone running android, windows 7 mobile, blackberry OS, Apple IOS, 

There will be posting saying that the posters are doing it, but just rememebr that ATT will add the plan if the phone falls in their designation of a smartphone.

As far as which phones, check the frequencies they run on and compare them to a ATT based phone, a lot of the 3rd party retailers will state the networks the phones are compatible with.

Message 2 of 2
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?
Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

AT&T Locker is being discontinued on August 3rd. Find out what you need to do.

Additional Support