Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Sep 14, 2011
11:30:17 AM
View profile
home button thinks it is a search button

I am having trouble navigating within tasks and apps because when I want to "get out" of what I'm doing and hit "home" it almost always sends me to a search window for whatever task/app I am in, or sends me to the general search tool.  I need to know how to just EXIT a program if the home key is not what does it.  I am just pressing back, menu, home in random sequencing and finally it will work.  What's the trick or is my button dysfunctional?

I am having trouble navigating within tasks and apps because when I want to "get out" of what I'm doing and hit "home" it almost always sends me to a search window for whatever task/app I am in, or sends me to the general search tool.  I need to know how to just EXIT a program if the home key is not what does it.  I am just pressing back, menu, home in random sequencing and finally it will work.  What's the trick or is my button dysfunctional?

home button thinks it is a search button

4 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(4)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 14, 2011 11:37:23 AM
(0)
Master

First of all, it will be helpful if you stated which phone you have.

Now assume you have the Android phone, the NORMAL procedure to exit an app is BACK button, not HOME button. But either should work. For most apps, BACK button means cleanup and exit. HOME button will leave the app running in the background while going back to the home screen. In a lot of cases, both worked the same.

Your problem seems to be somehow search button is pressed instead of HOME button. Without knowing which phone you have, it's hard to help.

First of all, it will be helpful if you stated which phone you have.

Now assume you have the Android phone, the NORMAL procedure to exit an app is BACK button, not HOME button. But either should work. For most apps, BACK button means cleanup and exit. HOME button will leave the app running in the background while going back to the home screen. In a lot of cases, both worked the same.

Your problem seems to be somehow search button is pressed instead of HOME button. Without knowing which phone you have, it's hard to help.

Re: home button thinks it is a search button

2 of 5 (179 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 14, 2011 11:50:03 AM
(0)
Contributor

so sorry.  It's a captivate.  I am not accidentally pressing the search button for sure.  The home button is not taking me to the home screen on the first try...seems to only work when the task totally closes out and I don't know how to do that.  Sometimes the back button just toggles me back and forth between a main screen (say, list of emails) to a search screen (search those emails) but not totally out.  Should the home button just zoom me back to the home screen no matter what?  Its not doing THAT for sure.

so sorry.  It's a captivate.  I am not accidentally pressing the search button for sure.  The home button is not taking me to the home screen on the first try...seems to only work when the task totally closes out and I don't know how to do that.  Sometimes the back button just toggles me back and forth between a main screen (say, list of emails) to a search screen (search those emails) but not totally out.  Should the home button just zoom me back to the home screen no matter what?  Its not doing THAT for sure.

3 of 5 (173 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 14, 2011 12:00:07 PM
(0)
Master
Edited by foxbat121 on Sep 14, 2011 at 12:01:05 PM

HOME button should zoom you right back to home screen no matter what. Back button will back to a previous app screen if there are multiple screens in the app.

It seems you have an oversensitive search button, a common problem in Captivate. Mine sometimes activated by itself without me pressing any button.

Make sure your fingers are no where near the search button. These capacitive buttons are not very reliable. All it needs is some part of your body hoover over to activate them, no need to actually touch them.

HOME button should zoom you right back to home screen no matter what. Back button will back to a previous app screen if there are multiple screens in the app.

It seems you have an oversensitive search button, a common problem in Captivate. Mine sometimes activated by itself without me pressing any button.

Make sure your fingers are no where near the search button. These capacitive buttons are not very reliable. All it needs is some part of your body hoover over to activate them, no need to actually touch them.

[ Edited ]
4 of 5 (169 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 14, 2011 5:42:15 PM
(0)
Contributor

Thanks!  Now that I know the back button should lead to exit it has helped me to at least sequence my random button pushing so i have been more successful getting "home" this afternoon.  Thanks for the input and I will keep my entire body away from "search" !  This phone is generally a little glitchy, but its my first touch screen so I'm still getting used to how sensitive it is.

Thanks!  Now that I know the back button should lead to exit it has helped me to at least sequence my random button pushing so i have been more successful getting "home" this afternoon.  Thanks for the input and I will keep my entire body away from "search" !  This phone is generally a little glitchy, but its my first touch screen so I'm still getting used to how sensitive it is.

5 of 5 (157 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments