Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Jan 10, 2011
5:51:12 AM
View profile
getting bookmarks and contacts to my iPhone 3GS

I have a iPhone 3GS on the way. I utilize Firefox(browser) and Thunderbird(email client). Can I import bookmarks and contacts from them to my ip3gs ? If not what options do I have. Thanks

I have a iPhone 3GS on the way. I utilize Firefox(browser) and Thunderbird(email client). Can I import bookmarks and contacts from them to my ip3gs ? If not what options do I have. Thanks

getting bookmarks and contacts to my iPhone 3GS

10 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(10)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 10, 2011 6:03:08 AM
(0)
Professor
I think iTunes will only sync with certain programs. You may have to move the contacts and favorites into IE and Outlook first, and then sync with those programs.
I think iTunes will only sync with certain programs. You may have to move the contacts and favorites into IE and Outlook first, and then sync with those programs.

Re: getting bookmarks and contacts to my iPhone 3GS

2 of 11 (821 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 10, 2011 6:21:10 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

If you're comfortable doing so, sync your contacts with Google, then you can sync them down to the iPhone.

For bookmarks, http://support.apple.com/kb/ta38614

If you're comfortable doing so, sync your contacts with Google, then you can sync them down to the iPhone.

For bookmarks, http://support.apple.com/kb/ta38614

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

3 of 11 (809 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 10, 2011 8:03:01 AM
(0)
Master

You may also want to consider MobileMe.  It is free to try.  If it does work for you, you can buy it through Amazon and save some cash.  I use it via a Mac so I am not sure how and/or if it will work with firefox and thunderbird for bookmarks and contacts?  I also use xmarks to move my bookmarks around so that might be an option for syncing your bookmarks between browsers.  This may be helpful if you need your bookmarks in IE to work with MobileMe.

For my wife, I do use Google to sync her contacts and Calendar from Thunderbird.

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

You may also want to consider MobileMe.  It is free to try.  If it does work for you, you can buy it through Amazon and save some cash.  I use it via a Mac so I am not sure how and/or if it will work with firefox and thunderbird for bookmarks and contacts?  I also use xmarks to move my bookmarks around so that might be an option for syncing your bookmarks between browsers.  This may be helpful if you need your bookmarks in IE to work with MobileMe.

For my wife, I do use Google to sync her contacts and Calendar from Thunderbird.

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Posted from my iPhone _____________________________ For service or support questions including existing order status, call: Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500 Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser: https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

4 of 11 (760 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 10, 2011 9:39:25 AM
(0)
Teacher

Thanks for the insight ...  xfered my bookmarks over to IE from Firefox and will give the Google sync

for my email contacts.

Thanks for the insight ...  xfered my bookmarks over to IE from Firefox and will give the Google sync

for my email contacts.

5 of 11 (743 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 10, 2011 11:21:21 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

XMarks is a useful tool for for your bookmarks.  I use that to sync my bookmarks between my Mac, my Windows PC, and my iPhone.  I also use Thunderbird & Firefox like you, so this should work for you.  For my contacts, I recently migrated to use Google to sync my contacts between my iPhone & my Mac.  I used to use MobileMe, but it isn't really wrth the fee just to sync my contacts & calendars, especially since they can be done fairly easily for free using Google tools

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare.

XMarks is a useful tool for for your bookmarks.  I use that to sync my bookmarks between my Mac, my Windows PC, and my iPhone.  I also use Thunderbird & Firefox like you, so this should work for you.  For my contacts, I recently migrated to use Google to sync my contacts between my iPhone & my Mac.  I used to use MobileMe, but it isn't really wrth the fee just to sync my contacts & calendars, especially since they can be done fairly easily for free using Google tools

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

6 of 11 (725 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 10, 2011 11:48:58 AM
(0)
Teacher

I take it your need the Xmarks Premiu to sync to the iPhone ?

GeekBoy wrote:

GeekBoy wrote:

7 of 11 (714 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 10, 2011 3:59:10 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

pitroad wrote:

I'm not sure if you need that or not  I already had that membership level for other reasons,  including the discount I got because I already had the LastPass membership for working with my iPhone.  Considering that is the strategy they use for LastPass, I would expect similar for XMarks since they were acquired by LastPass.

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

pitroad wrote:

I'm not sure if you need that or not  I already had that membership level for other reasons,  including the discount I got because I already had the LastPass membership for working with my iPhone.  Considering that is the strategy they use for LastPass, I would expect similar for XMarks since they were acquired by LastPass.

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

8 of 11 (685 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 10, 2011 4:11:48 PM
(0)
Teacher

GeekBoy wrote:

pitroad wrote:

yea, both premium products (Xmarks;Lastpass) look good. Both for $20 a year I think. Never had a smart phone so not sure just how much browsing & emailing I will do. If I end up using it a lot I think this will be the way I go.

GeekBoy wrote:

pitroad wrote:

yea, both premium products (Xmarks;Lastpass) look good. Both for $20 a year I think. Never had a smart phone so not sure just how much browsing & emailing I will do. If I end up using it a lot I think this will be the way I go.

9 of 11 (680 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 10, 2011 8:18:38 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

IIRC, both serives are available for free if you don't intend to use your smart phone with them, but I was a paid subscriber for both before I ever tried to use either on my iPhone, so I wasn't sure if you needed to be a paid subscriber or not.

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

IIRC, both serives are available for free if you don't intend to use your smart phone with them, but I was a paid subscriber for both before I ever tried to use either on my iPhone, so I wasn't sure if you needed to be a paid subscriber or not.

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

10 of 11 (664 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 11, 2011 12:43:12 PM
(0)
Professor

The bookmarks can be synced one of two ways:

• Using Safari, you can move your Firefox bookmarks to the browser then sync using iTunes.
  • Signing up for MobileMe which is free for 30/60 days then $100 a year. Some offer it lesser.

The contacts can be synced with one of, well many ways (also includes Mail and Calendar):

• Microsoft Outlook for $99 (some stores may be cheaper).
  • Apple Macintosh computers all come with Contacts, Mail, and Calendar pre-installed.
  • Signing up for MobileMe which is free for 30/60 days then $100 a year. Some stores offer it lesser.
  • Signing up for Google which is free no matter what. No subscription required.
  • Signing up for Yahoo and using Yahoo Address Book or Plaxo if they still have the service.
  • Using a corporate MS Outlook OTA service
  • Using a personal paid MS Outlook OTA service

The bookmarks can be synced one of two ways:

• Using Safari, you can move your Firefox bookmarks to the browser then sync using iTunes.
  • Signing up for MobileMe which is free for 30/60 days then $100 a year. Some offer it lesser.

The contacts can be synced with one of, well many ways (also includes Mail and Calendar):

• Microsoft Outlook for $99 (some stores may be cheaper).
  • Apple Macintosh computers all come with Contacts, Mail, and Calendar pre-installed.
  • Signing up for MobileMe which is free for 30/60 days then $100 a year. Some stores offer it lesser.
  • Signing up for Google which is free no matter what. No subscription required.
  • Signing up for Yahoo and using Yahoo Address Book or Plaxo if they still have the service.
  • Using a corporate MS Outlook OTA service
  • Using a personal paid MS Outlook OTA service

11 of 11 (222 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments