froyo on captivate?

Teacher

froyo on captivate?

when can froyo be used on the captivate and how do u get it?

Message 1 of 180 (66,062 Views)

Re: froyo on captivate?

Here is how my update day is going: Started the morning looking for a time travel app so I could go back in time and find a 32Bit system and found the app but wait, must have 2.2 to install. Err, another road-block. Then I actually found a place with worse customer service than AT&T, Sansung Support. Oh but the day is still young.

Message 166 of 180 (1,872 Views)
Contributor

I installed on 64 bit win7 yesterday.  No problems.  Make sure you reboot when requested.

Message 167 of 180 (1,843 Views)
Explorer

I had the exact same experience. Failed repeatedly on x64; worked easily on the wife's 32 bit machine.

Message 168 of 180 (1,732 Views)
Tutor

Have updated to 2.2 with help from Samsung. My Captivate cannot update the Facebook,Twitter widget on the Home Page panel. I get the error"service unavailable" I did not have this on the 2.1 OS.Also my weather widget is not updating.All syncs are on. Any ideas.??

Message 169 of 180 (1,695 Views)
Teacher

[ Edited ]

I installed the official 2.2 update through minikies with no problem. The problem was when I was done I realized I no longer had 3.5G as I have had on all my recent roms (from XDA). Plus, the 2.2 stock froyo root methods did not work for me, so I could not restore my apps and data with titanium backup, or even use apps which require root like Keepthelightson. Doh! Within a half hour I had odined, reflashed a phoenix rom, and was back to having a decent phone again. It really is a wonderful phone with a good XDA rom. I would hate to use it without one.

Message 170 of 180 (1,638 Views)
Scholar

I'm noticing a trend whereby most of the people who are having trouble getting the AT&T Froyo to install are peope who had rooted or lagfixed or custom ROM'd their phones. I'm glad I waited, because the Froyo from AT&T installed fine and is running smooth. I get GPS lock in a matter of a couple of seconds, and can even get a lock within 7 seconds indoors. My Quadrant scores are higher now and the phone is snappier. The absolute only problem I've had is with the Quick Office icon and shortcut going goofy, but the program still works.

Maybe I will custom ROM someday, but for now I'm reading way too many posts about issues from people who have done that. I would rather have a phone than a brick.

Message 171 of 180 (2,788 Views)
Contributor

Got to step 4.2 with no issues, but now instead of the Phone Upgrade button being enabled there is an error in the Firmware Version field that says, "Unable to connect to the server at this time, try again later" anyone else?

Message 172 of 180 (2,760 Views)
Contributor

Does anyone know if there is somewhere to take the Captivate to get updated to 2.2? I cannot get past the "usb device not recognized" error. Throwing it across the room didn't seem to work either! Seriously though, I'd be willing to pay someone a few bucks to upgrade it for me.

Thanks,

Sean

Message 173 of 180 (2,718 Views)
Tutor

Samsung will walk you through it. You may have the derbgger off.

Message 174 of 180 (2,634 Views)
Contributor

When you say "walk you through it", do you mean on the phone or just by following the instructions at their website? I've already followed the instructions to the letter from their site with no luck. Has anyone had any luck calling them? BTW, I had debugging on.
Message 175 of 180 (2,596 Views)
Contributor

YAY!!!!! It is updated!! I thought that it was supposed to have voice command features. Maybe later! Really excited about them finally finishing the update. I would say "better late than never" but there is a point when late is too late. I am happy though! I will stay with AT&T for a while longer I guess!! I used mini kies and it worked flawless!!! 10 minutes!!!! Would write more but want to play with froyo!!!!! LOL hehehe....!!!!
Message 176 of 180 (2,583 Views)
Contributor

I had similar issues with 64bit installation. I found out that as soon as I uninstalled IE9, it worked perfectly. Just one of those things I guess.

dlsimon wrote:

I couldn't get this to work on Windows 7 64bit (tried for a good hour or two).  Most of the drivers install for the phone (I can mount the phone ok and transfer individual files, as well as sideload apps), but at least one of the devices for the phone won't install. Someone mentioned on an android forum to install the PC Studio app from Samsung, but wouldn't fully install for me either.

Anyway, I eventually tried it on my Windows XP 32 bit machine, and it installed fine. Froyo is running great.

Message 177 of 180 (2,522 Views)
Tutor

Samsung walked me through the installation on the phone because ATT could not.

Message 178 of 180 (2,515 Views)
Contributor

Update to my first post. I finally got past the "USB not recognized" issue. I tried the update on a different machine. I also installed it diferrent from the instructions. I simply downloaded kies mini and installed, rebooted the computer, chose "ask on connection" on the phone, started kies, plugged the phone in to the pc and hit update. Bingo! It worked first time. The instructions had me plugging the phone in, disconnecting it, restarting it in download mode etc. Hope this helps someone. I almost gave up!
Message 179 of 180 (2,357 Views)
Highlighted
Tutor

[ Edited ]

Well folks, first the good part.

1. Froyo download was simply too easy for me (no intention of rubbing it in for the folks who had or are having trouble). But I downloaded MiniKies on my Vista 32-bit laptop, plugged my Captivate in and it all went smoothly.

2. The phone is noticeably more responsive - very, very little lag.

3. GPS fix was mixed, but generally much better than Eclair.

4. I love the fact that I can now cut-paste part of the text and not the whole ! (this was really stupid to not have been available earlier, but enough of that)

5. Some really decent apps (app manager) came on.

All in all, a MUCH BETTER phone experience Smiley Happy

Now, the BAD Smiley Sad

1. WHERE IS BT VOICE DIAL ! AT&T is of course clueless about this, but Samsung confirmed that it was not included.

WHAT ???!!!!!

WHY ????!!!!!

My old blackberry did it perfectly. Other Galaxy S phones can do it - why the { word filter evasion }  can't the Captivate ? Is Samsung dishing it out to AT&T for some internal matter between the two ?

{ Inappropriate comment removed }

Message 180 of 180 (2,027 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.