froyo on captivate?

Teacher

froyo on captivate?

when can froyo be used on the captivate and how do u get it?

Message 1 of 180 (66,061 Views)

Re: froyo on captivate?

[ Edited ]

Does it matter whether it's At&t or Samsung's fault at this point? Do we care whose fault it is right now? The answer is NO, NOPE, NO WAY, WHO CARE'S?, etc... All we need to know is WHEN Froyo will be released or failing that WHAT (and it better be a darn good WHAT) is the causing the hold up!

Message 121 of 180 (4,927 Views)
Contributor

I will not be buying a Samsung product again.......ever.

What a way for a company to blow all credability.

I am sorry but the biggest issue I have is the lack of communication. If there was an offical AT&T posting stating what the problem was and why the release was delayed customers could understand.

With no formal response the only reason I can think of as to why the reason has not been communicated is that this is a contractual issue with pricing of the update. With working ROM's out there, if it was a techncial issue with the SD cards being wiped they could release a kies loadable beta version with the warning to update you need to back up your data.

Samsung please stop releasing new phones with Froyo and fix the phones you have already released. We should post comments on all the new phone review sites not to buy them as Samsung support for its customers is so poor.

Not impressed.

Message 122 of 180 (4,339 Views)
Teacher

Re: I really did finally get Froyo (with bluetooth voice dialing)!

Where can I find this Perception (10.2)??

Thanks

Loekie

Message 123 of 180 (4,200 Views)
Teacher

Where or how can I find info  on this Paragon RC3ROM??

Thanks

Loekie

Message 124 of 180 (4,201 Views)
Contributor

This is what I just received from Samsung:

Dear Mr. *****,

Thank you for your inquiry. Samsung feels it is important to make the Android 2.2/Froyo upgrade available only after we feel that we can give the millions of U.S. Galaxy S owners a simple and reliable upgrade experience. Due to the complexity and unique functionality of each Galaxy S device, we are performing additional testing and are working to make the Android 2.2/Froyo upgrade available to all U.S. Galaxy S owners, including the Samsung Captivate, as soon as possible.

Should this be available, it will be posted in our website or you will be informed by your service provider.

Please feel free to check with us periodically for updates.

Thank you for your continued interest in Samsung products.

Sincerely,
Technical Support
Lyn

Hopefully this is some light at the end of the tunnel.

Message 125 of 180 (3,870 Views)
Teacher

Paragon is now RC4

Start reading here...

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=915698

I just flashed the update this morning, my GPS locked in 3 seconds and stayed locked for my whole 20 minute commute into work.

I now have it over clocked to 1200 and my Linpack score is 15.405, Quadrant is 1343, some Captivates are pushing 1300 and even in some cases 1400 with Linpacks of 18.0+

Message 126 of 180 (3,856 Views)
Scholar

Unfortunately, despite being released, Froyo really isn't working on the Canadian version of the Captivate:

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Android/page/21/thread-id/406

What I don't want is another bug ridden mess that doesn't give me bluetooth voice dial. If I have to wait to get it, so be it. I am beginning to think that there is a link between the lack of BlueTooth Voice Dial, and the "audience" noise cancelling chip in the 897. All the ROMs that work with regard to BTVD come from the i9000 line, which doesn't have the Audience chip. NONE of the ROMs that are Captivate based yet have BTVD working.

Personally, I want both features.

RealiBrad wrote:

I dont know what you two are talking about. Samsung only has to get the OS working with the hardware, and they already did. Thats why Canada already has 2.2 working on their samsung hardware.

This is AT&T, not samsung. If it were samsung, then there would not be any Samsung device running 2.2 (or 2.3 for that matter, which one already is)

Message 127 of 180 (3,389 Views)
Scholar

Re: Software update instuctions on Samsungs site.

Really, you've got EVERYTHING except GPS working? For instance, you've got Bluetooth Voice Dial working with a JI6 ROM?!?

I doubt it, but I'd like to be wrong.

scooterjes wrote:

I am running Froyo JI6 on my captivate right now and everything working fine accept for GPS and every once in a while it does the sleep of death but other than that I have had no issues whatsoever I have not had the courage/desire to install one of the custom roms so I cannot speak for them.

Message 128 of 180 (3,374 Views)

I just updated to the Firefly 2.05 Rom... it works like a charm.. I am using bluetooth voice dialing without a problem... battery is also working great for me..

Also WTH with the hdspa... why did it take me to change to a custom ROM to get the 3g-h speed... on 2.1 I was getting 700k to 1.2mpbs down... now with the custom rom I'm getting anywhere from 3-4 mpbs???? Why wasn't this available on the 2.1??

To clarify about my last post about Firefly, you have to turn on BT dialing through notification bar... if you go through setttings no go... also GPS is working fantastic...

Message 129 of 180 (2,662 Views)
Contributor

[ Edited ]

Ok, hopefully someone can help me I have rooted phone, installed ROM Manager, done those steps for that, installed Titanium Backup free, and it says restore function can't be used unless I check "unknown sources", I cant find this, although I have heard if you pay the full version it will fix this issue, is this true? also I can't download the firefly.zip file, it opens a blank winow and says click to download and then does nothing, how do i get it? that is on the xda site, and also after that can someone dumb down how I install  or flash this thing, and will I loose all my data like numbers and such also phone setting for att? any help is appreciated!

Message 130 of 180 (1,876 Views)
Highlighted
Professor

turbo96hx wrote:

Ok, hopefully someone can help me I have rooted phone, installed ROM Manager, done those steps for that, installed Titanium Backup free, and it says restore function can't be used unless I check "unknown sources", I cant find this, although I have heard if you pay the full version it will fix this issue, is this true? also I can't download the firefly.zip file, it opens a blank winow and says click to download and then does nothing, how do i get it? that is on the xda site, and also after that can someone dumb down how I install  or flash this thing, and will I loose all my data like numbers and such also phone setting for att? any help is appreciated!

I could be wrong but I think that the "unknown sources" option is not available on the Captivate.  Once you flash a custom ROM, it may have the option.  Then you can use Titanium Backup from there.  One suggestion, if you have a lot of apps, invest in Titanium Backup Pro.  With the free version, you will be re-installing apps one at a time.  With the paid version, you can restore apps to your phone in batches. HTH

Message 131 of 180 (4,264 Views)
Tutor

So are we any closer to seeing an ATT froyo for the Samsung Captivate?  I've just read through nearly 7 months of discussion, and apparently v2.2 is still not released.

Just to recap, could someone who knows point me to the best "unofficial" froyo for the Captivate?  I had to root mine in order to unlock it so I could use prepaid sim cards while travelling in Europe, so that is not an issue for me.

My main motivation is that the Skype client fails on my 2.1, and they claim to have fixed it for Android 2.2. 

I could wait another couple of weeks, I suppose, but if froyo is not going be rolled out for my phone, I am willing to go elsewhere.

Message 132 of 180 (4,133 Views)
Mentor

i took mine to a computer repair place and had it done. i'm getting 2.3 when it is released.

Message 133 of 180 (4,086 Views)

ATT own support pages show a 2.2 version running on the Captivate:

http://www.wireless.att.com/support/tutorials.do?tutorialsCategory=Getting+Started&tutorialId=825930...

Go down to firmware and baseband. Note that this is newer then any of the Beta builds released earlier.

Message 134 of 180 (3,625 Views)
Tutor

Thanks. Your link shows how to find out your phone's version of Android, and the example shows firmware version 2.1-update1 (which I have) and baseband version I897UCJH7 which is version 2.1.   I'm unable to find anything on the ATT site that talks about version 2.2 froyo.

Message 135 of 180 (2,936 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.