Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Jul 15, 2010
4:01:17 PM
View profile
froyo on captivate?

when can froyo be used on the captivate and how do u get it?

when can froyo be used on the captivate and how do u get it?

froyo on captivate?

179 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(179)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 25, 2011 12:28:13 PM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by jcylcruzin on Jan 25, 2011 at 12:29:23 PM

Does it matter whether it's At&t or Samsung's fault at this point? Do we care whose fault it is right now? The answer is NO, NOPE, NO WAY, WHO CARE'S?, etc... All we need to know is WHEN Froyo will be released or failing that WHAT (and it better be a darn good WHAT) is the causing the hold up!

Does it matter whether it's At&t or Samsung's fault at this point? Do we care whose fault it is right now? The answer is NO, NOPE, NO WAY, WHO CARE'S?, etc... All we need to know is WHEN Froyo will be released or failing that WHAT (and it better be a darn good WHAT) is the causing the hold up!

Re: froyo on captivate?

[ Edited ]
121 of 180 (4,892 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 26, 2011 8:50:28 AM
(0)
Contributor

I will not be buying a Samsung product again.......ever.

What a way for a company to blow all credability.

I am sorry but the biggest issue I have is the lack of communication. If there was an offical AT&T posting stating what the problem was and why the release was delayed customers could understand.

With no formal response the only reason I can think of as to why the reason has not been communicated is that this is a contractual issue with pricing of the update. With working ROM's out there, if it was a techncial issue with the SD cards being wiped they could release a kies loadable beta version with the warning to update you need to back up your data.

Samsung please stop releasing new phones with Froyo and fix the phones you have already released. We should post comments on all the new phone review sites not to buy them as Samsung support for its customers is so poor.

Not impressed.

I will not be buying a Samsung product again.......ever.

What a way for a company to blow all credability.

I am sorry but the biggest issue I have is the lack of communication. If there was an offical AT&T posting stating what the problem was and why the release was delayed customers could understand.

With no formal response the only reason I can think of as to why the reason has not been communicated is that this is a contractual issue with pricing of the update. With working ROM's out there, if it was a techncial issue with the SD cards being wiped they could release a kies loadable beta version with the warning to update you need to back up your data.

Samsung please stop releasing new phones with Froyo and fix the phones you have already released. We should post comments on all the new phone review sites not to buy them as Samsung support for its customers is so poor.

Not impressed.

122 of 180 (4,304 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 26, 2011 12:50:39 PM
(0)
Teacher

Where can I find this Perception (10.2)??

Thanks

Loekie

Where can I find this Perception (10.2)??

Thanks

Loekie

Re: I really did finally get Froyo (with bluetooth voice dialing)!

123 of 180 (4,165 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 26, 2011 12:51:37 PM
(0)
Teacher

Where or how can I find info  on this Paragon RC3ROM??

Thanks

Loekie

Where or how can I find info  on this Paragon RC3ROM??

Thanks

Loekie

124 of 180 (4,166 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 27, 2011 11:01:34 AM
(0)
Contributor

This is what I just received from Samsung:

Dear Mr. *****,

Thank you for your inquiry. Samsung feels it is important to make the Android 2.2/Froyo upgrade available only after we feel that we can give the millions of U.S. Galaxy S owners a simple and reliable upgrade experience. Due to the complexity and unique functionality of each Galaxy S device, we are performing additional testing and are working to make the Android 2.2/Froyo upgrade available to all U.S. Galaxy S owners, including the Samsung Captivate, as soon as possible.

Should this be available, it will be posted in our website or you will be informed by your service provider.

Please feel free to check with us periodically for updates.

Thank you for your continued interest in Samsung products.

Sincerely,
Technical Support
Lyn

Hopefully this is some light at the end of the tunnel.

This is what I just received from Samsung:

Dear Mr. *****,

Thank you for your inquiry. Samsung feels it is important to make the Android 2.2/Froyo upgrade available only after we feel that we can give the millions of U.S. Galaxy S owners a simple and reliable upgrade experience. Due to the complexity and unique functionality of each Galaxy S device, we are performing additional testing and are working to make the Android 2.2/Froyo upgrade available to all U.S. Galaxy S owners, including the Samsung Captivate, as soon as possible.

Should this be available, it will be posted in our website or you will be informed by your service provider.

Please feel free to check with us periodically for updates.

Thank you for your continued interest in Samsung products.

Sincerely,
Technical Support
Lyn

Hopefully this is some light at the end of the tunnel.

125 of 180 (3,835 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 27, 2011 11:14:33 AM
(0)
Teacher

Paragon is now RC4

Start reading here...

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=915698

I just flashed the update this morning, my GPS locked in 3 seconds and stayed locked for my whole 20 minute commute into work.

I now have it over clocked to 1200 and my Linpack score is 15.405, Quadrant is 1343, some Captivates are pushing 1300 and even in some cases 1400 with Linpacks of 18.0+

Paragon is now RC4

Start reading here...

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=915698

I just flashed the update this morning, my GPS locked in 3 seconds and stayed locked for my whole 20 minute commute into work.

I now have it over clocked to 1200 and my Linpack score is 15.405, Quadrant is 1343, some Captivates are pushing 1300 and even in some cases 1400 with Linpacks of 18.0+

126 of 180 (3,821 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 28, 2011 11:25:16 PM
(0)
Scholar

Unfortunately, despite being released, Froyo really isn't working on the Canadian version of the Captivate:

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Android/page/21/thread-id/406

What I don't want is another bug ridden mess that doesn't give me bluetooth voice dial. If I have to wait to get it, so be it. I am beginning to think that there is a link between the lack of BlueTooth Voice Dial, and the "audience" noise cancelling chip in the 897. All the ROMs that work with regard to BTVD come from the i9000 line, which doesn't have the Audience chip. NONE of the ROMs that are Captivate based yet have BTVD working.

Personally, I want both features.

RealiBrad wrote:

I dont know what you two are talking about. Samsung only has to get the OS working with the hardware, and they already did. Thats why Canada already has 2.2 working on their samsung hardware.

This is AT&T, not samsung. If it were samsung, then there would not be any Samsung device running 2.2 (or 2.3 for that matter, which one already is)

Unfortunately, despite being released, Froyo really isn't working on the Canadian version of the Captivate:

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Android/page/21/thread-id/406

What I don't want is another bug ridden mess that doesn't give me bluetooth voice dial. If I have to wait to get it, so be it. I am beginning to think that there is a link between the lack of BlueTooth Voice Dial, and the "audience" noise cancelling chip in the 897. All the ROMs that work with regard to BTVD come from the i9000 line, which doesn't have the Audience chip. NONE of the ROMs that are Captivate based yet have BTVD working.

Personally, I want both features.

RealiBrad wrote:

I dont know what you two are talking about. Samsung only has to get the OS working with the hardware, and they already did. Thats why Canada already has 2.2 working on their samsung hardware.

This is AT&T, not samsung. If it were samsung, then there would not be any Samsung device running 2.2 (or 2.3 for that matter, which one already is)

127 of 180 (3,354 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 29, 2011 12:00:46 AM
(0)
Scholar

Really, you've got EVERYTHING except GPS working? For instance, you've got Bluetooth Voice Dial working with a JI6 ROM?!?

I doubt it, but I'd like to be wrong.

scooterjes wrote:

I am running Froyo JI6 on my captivate right now and everything working fine accept for GPS and every once in a while it does the sleep of death but other than that I have had no issues whatsoever I have not had the courage/desire to install one of the custom roms so I cannot speak for them.

Really, you've got EVERYTHING except GPS working? For instance, you've got Bluetooth Voice Dial working with a JI6 ROM?!?

I doubt it, but I'd like to be wrong.

scooterjes wrote:

I am running Froyo JI6 on my captivate right now and everything working fine accept for GPS and every once in a while it does the sleep of death but other than that I have had no issues whatsoever I have not had the courage/desire to install one of the custom roms so I cannot speak for them.

Re: Software update instuctions on Samsungs site.

128 of 180 (3,339 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 31, 2011 7:50:00 PM
(0)
Tutor

I just updated to the Firefly 2.05 Rom... it works like a charm.. I am using bluetooth voice dialing without a problem... battery is also working great for me..

Also WTH with the hdspa... why did it take me to change to a custom ROM to get the 3g-h speed... on 2.1 I was getting 700k to 1.2mpbs down... now with the custom rom I'm getting anywhere from 3-4 mpbs???? Why wasn't this available on the 2.1??

To clarify about my last post about Firefly, you have to turn on BT dialing through notification bar... if you go through setttings no go... also GPS is working fantastic...

I just updated to the Firefly 2.05 Rom... it works like a charm.. I am using bluetooth voice dialing without a problem... battery is also working great for me..

Also WTH with the hdspa... why did it take me to change to a custom ROM to get the 3g-h speed... on 2.1 I was getting 700k to 1.2mpbs down... now with the custom rom I'm getting anywhere from 3-4 mpbs???? Why wasn't this available on the 2.1??

To clarify about my last post about Firefly, you have to turn on BT dialing through notification bar... if you go through setttings no go... also GPS is working fantastic...

129 of 180 (2,627 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 4, 2011 10:26:34 PM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by turbo96hx on Feb 4, 2011 at 10:26:52 PM

Ok, hopefully someone can help me I have rooted phone, installed ROM Manager, done those steps for that, installed Titanium Backup free, and it says restore function can't be used unless I check "unknown sources", I cant find this, although I have heard if you pay the full version it will fix this issue, is this true? also I can't download the firefly.zip file, it opens a blank winow and says click to download and then does nothing, how do i get it? that is on the xda site, and also after that can someone dumb down how I install  or flash this thing, and will I loose all my data like numbers and such also phone setting for att? any help is appreciated!

Ok, hopefully someone can help me I have rooted phone, installed ROM Manager, done those steps for that, installed Titanium Backup free, and it says restore function can't be used unless I check "unknown sources", I cant find this, although I have heard if you pay the full version it will fix this issue, is this true? also I can't download the firefly.zip file, it opens a blank winow and says click to download and then does nothing, how do i get it? that is on the xda site, and also after that can someone dumb down how I install  or flash this thing, and will I loose all my data like numbers and such also phone setting for att? any help is appreciated!

[ Edited ]
130 of 180 (1,841 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 5, 2011 6:13:37 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

turbo96hx wrote:

I could be wrong but I think that the "unknown sources" option is not available on the Captivate.  Once you flash a custom ROM, it may have the option.  Then you can use Titanium Backup from there.  One suggestion, if you have a lot of apps, invest in Titanium Backup Pro.  With the free version, you will be re-installing apps one at a time.  With the paid version, you can restore apps to your phone in batches. HTH

turbo96hx wrote:

I could be wrong but I think that the "unknown sources" option is not available on the Captivate.  Once you flash a custom ROM, it may have the option.  Then you can use Titanium Backup from there.  One suggestion, if you have a lot of apps, invest in Titanium Backup Pro.  With the free version, you will be re-installing apps one at a time.  With the paid version, you can restore apps to your phone in batches. HTH

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

131 of 180 (4,229 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 5, 2011 5:10:29 PM
(0)
Tutor

So are we any closer to seeing an ATT froyo for the Samsung Captivate?  I've just read through nearly 7 months of discussion, and apparently v2.2 is still not released.

Just to recap, could someone who knows point me to the best "unofficial" froyo for the Captivate?  I had to root mine in order to unlock it so I could use prepaid sim cards while travelling in Europe, so that is not an issue for me.

My main motivation is that the Skype client fails on my 2.1, and they claim to have fixed it for Android 2.2. 

I could wait another couple of weeks, I suppose, but if froyo is not going be rolled out for my phone, I am willing to go elsewhere.

So are we any closer to seeing an ATT froyo for the Samsung Captivate?  I've just read through nearly 7 months of discussion, and apparently v2.2 is still not released.

Just to recap, could someone who knows point me to the best "unofficial" froyo for the Captivate?  I had to root mine in order to unlock it so I could use prepaid sim cards while travelling in Europe, so that is not an issue for me.

My main motivation is that the Skype client fails on my 2.1, and they claim to have fixed it for Android 2.2. 

I could wait another couple of weeks, I suppose, but if froyo is not going be rolled out for my phone, I am willing to go elsewhere.

132 of 180 (4,098 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 5, 2011 7:39:54 PM
(0)
Mentor

i took mine to a computer repair place and had it done. i'm getting 2.3 when it is released.

i took mine to a computer repair place and had it done. i'm getting 2.3 when it is released.

133 of 180 (4,051 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 8, 2011 4:53:47 AM
(0)
Tutor

ATT own support pages show a 2.2 version running on the Captivate:

http://www.wireless.att.com/support/tutorials.do?tutorialsCategory=Getting+Started&tutorialId=825930...

Go down to firmware and baseband. Note that this is newer then any of the Beta builds released earlier.

ATT own support pages show a 2.2 version running on the Captivate:

http://www.wireless.att.com/support/tutorials.do?tutorialsCategory=Getting+Started&tutorialId=825930&deviceId=12000

Go down to firmware and baseband. Note that this is newer then any of the Beta builds released earlier.

134 of 180 (3,590 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 10, 2011 10:22:00 AM
(0)
Tutor

Thanks. Your link shows how to find out your phone's version of Android, and the example shows firmware version 2.1-update1 (which I have) and baseband version I897UCJH7 which is version 2.1.   I'm unable to find anything on the ATT site that talks about version 2.2 froyo.

Thanks. Your link shows how to find out your phone's version of Android, and the example shows firmware version 2.1-update1 (which I have) and baseband version I897UCJH7 which is version 2.1.   I'm unable to find anything on the ATT site that talks about version 2.2 froyo.

135 of 180 (2,901 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 10, 2011 10:25:21 AM
(0)
Tutor

They must have caught the "mitake". It's changed back to 2.1 - update 1......Smiley Mad

They must have caught the "mitake". It's changed back to 2.1 - update 1......Smiley Mad

136 of 180 (2,899 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 10, 2011 10:26:55 AM
(0)
Tutor

Sanmsung wont comment either. Heres what a tech friend og mine told me.

Well after a long time, Samsung has released 2.2 for the Captivate…in Canada.

AT&T will not be issuing an update for the Captivate at all period, as they've moved on to the Galaxy S "4G"

So the only hope of getting 2.2 is to install the Canadian version.. 

Difference: Instead of saying AT&T, it says "Rogers"

Sanmsung wont comment either. Heres what a tech friend og mine told me.

Well after a long time, Samsung has released 2.2 for the Captivate…in Canada.

AT&T will not be issuing an update for the Captivate at all period, as they've moved on to the Galaxy S "4G"

So the only hope of getting 2.2 is to install the Canadian version.. 

Difference: Instead of saying AT&T, it says "Rogers"

137 of 180 (2,896 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 10, 2011 10:29:08 AM
(0)
Scholar
Sorry. That blow large fat chunks....if True.
Sorry. That blow large fat chunks....if True.
Sent from my Android powered Samsung Galaxy Note 4G LTE

138 of 180 (2,883 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 12, 2011 3:39:46 PM
(0)
Tutor

If your friend is correct, and it seems reasonable to me, then my only course is to get a none-ATT Android download.  I have already unlocked my Captivate, but I was hoping for an official download.  Oh well.  I bought this expecting to be able to run the Skype client on it, but Skype fails on my phone.  Skype has fixed it for Android 2.2 and higher. 

Reading this thread, people have offered 2 different possible reasons why AT&T might have decided not to offer 2.2 froyo. 

1) 2.2 allows the latest Flash client to work, which would mean many would use that to watch videos over the AT&T network, and AT&T would see increased traffic without being able to monetize that.

2)Samsung interprets a new version of Android as a feature release, and expectes AT&T to pay them.  AT&T sees no reason to release the update and pay Samsung, since the Captivates have been selling really well as they are.

Your friend's reason is simply that AT&T is so busy with the Samsung tablet that they don't want to spend resources on the Captivate. That could be true too.

If it's true AT&T has decided to leave us Captivate owners high and dry and never update the Android version, it does not speak well for AT&T's interest in customer satisfaction, only in sales.  I guess if I were investing, I'd sell AT&T and buy Verizon. 

If your friend is correct, and it seems reasonable to me, then my only course is to get a none-ATT Android download.  I have already unlocked my Captivate, but I was hoping for an official download.  Oh well.  I bought this expecting to be able to run the Skype client on it, but Skype fails on my phone.  Skype has fixed it for Android 2.2 and higher. 

Reading this thread, people have offered 2 different possible reasons why AT&T might have decided not to offer 2.2 froyo. 

1) 2.2 allows the latest Flash client to work, which would mean many would use that to watch videos over the AT&T network, and AT&T would see increased traffic without being able to monetize that.

2)Samsung interprets a new version of Android as a feature release, and expectes AT&T to pay them.  AT&T sees no reason to release the update and pay Samsung, since the Captivates have been selling really well as they are.

Your friend's reason is simply that AT&T is so busy with the Samsung tablet that they don't want to spend resources on the Captivate. That could be true too.

If it's true AT&T has decided to leave us Captivate owners high and dry and never update the Android version, it does not speak well for AT&T's interest in customer satisfaction, only in sales.  I guess if I were investing, I'd sell AT&T and buy Verizon. 

139 of 180 (2,068 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 12, 2011 3:58:00 PM
(0)
Tutor

Just for fun, I called AT&T customer service, described my problem that Skype client falis and Skype says they've fixed it for Android 2.2, and politely asked when AT&T will release that version.  I was told they have no information about upcoming releases.  I asked if there was a way she could communicate with her management about this customer need for the updated Andoid version.  She read me a script about wanting to help me with my problem but that she had no information.  I asked if she could communicate to her managment that this affects customer satisfaction.

She hung up on me.  Throughout the call, I was calm and polite.  

If I were an AT&T stockholder, this would not be a good sign.  Add in the fact that Verizon is selling iPhones as fast at they can, their network was upgraded before they rolled out the iPhone and they appear to be several steps ahead of AT&T, things look even less good for AT&T.  I have been a happy AT&T customer in the past, and I am not into bashing vendors, but AT&T certainly looks like they are stumbling. 

Just for fun, I called AT&T customer service, described my problem that Skype client falis and Skype says they've fixed it for Android 2.2, and politely asked when AT&T will release that version.  I was told they have no information about upcoming releases.  I asked if there was a way she could communicate with her management about this customer need for the updated Andoid version.  She read me a script about wanting to help me with my problem but that she had no information.  I asked if she could communicate to her managment that this affects customer satisfaction.

She hung up on me.  Throughout the call, I was calm and polite.  

If I were an AT&T stockholder, this would not be a good sign.  Add in the fact that Verizon is selling iPhones as fast at they can, their network was upgraded before they rolled out the iPhone and they appear to be several steps ahead of AT&T, things look even less good for AT&T.  I have been a happy AT&T customer in the past, and I am not into bashing vendors, but AT&T certainly looks like they are stumbling. 

140 of 180 (2,057 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 12, 2011 8:29:20 PM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by Nailbender47 on Feb 12, 2011 at 8:36:13 PM

It will soon be time for at&t to take a more direct stand on this or face another black-eye. at&t says call Samsung.Samsung says call at&t. I say I pay at&t and they should give us Captivate owners a chance to get out of this phone that we only bought on promises of 'at least by the end of the year'. It is a great phone that can't be used by the most popular things it seems it's owners want to do. Most every app I want says '2.2' required. I was going to 'the other carrier' back in October to get a real Android phone and was promised if I sign back up and take the Captivate that I will be glad I did. Well guess what? I am not. I understand 'things happen' and so be it. That being said at&t should allow us (Captivate owners) at the very least to be able to upgrade to a real Android phone (2.2 or higher) for the contract price when and if one ever becomes available. I think most would pick another brand over Samsung due to everyone now being aware of Samsungs attitude towards this update. I would like the S2 but Samsung has lost my faith. Do the right thing at&t. I'm not leaving yet. 

It will soon be time for at&t to take a more direct stand on this or face another black-eye. at&t says call Samsung.Samsung says call at&t. I say I pay at&t and they should give us Captivate owners a chance to get out of this phone that we only bought on promises of 'at least by the end of the year'. It is a great phone that can't be used by the most popular things it seems it's owners want to do. Most every app I want says '2.2' required. I was going to 'the other carrier' back in October to get a real Android phone and was promised if I sign back up and take the Captivate that I will be glad I did. Well guess what? I am not. I understand 'things happen' and so be it. That being said at&t should allow us (Captivate owners) at the very least to be able to upgrade to a real Android phone (2.2 or higher) for the contract price when and if one ever becomes available. I think most would pick another brand over Samsung due to everyone now being aware of Samsungs attitude towards this update. I would like the S2 but Samsung has lost my faith. Do the right thing at&t. I'm not leaving yet. 

[ Edited ]
141 of 180 (3,779 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 12, 2011 9:31:07 PM
(0)
Explorer

I'll be kicking AT&T to the curb when my current plan expires - not for their sad participation in the "Froyo Fiasco", but for the simple fact that the other carriers (Verizon in particular) offer a wider selection of popular phones, and superior customer service.

It appears that AT&T's main corporate goal is to see just how many customers can be driven away due to an arrogant and misguided sense of complacency.

I'll be kicking AT&T to the curb when my current plan expires - not for their sad participation in the "Froyo Fiasco", but for the simple fact that the other carriers (Verizon in particular) offer a wider selection of popular phones, and superior customer service.

It appears that AT&T's main corporate goal is to see just how many customers can be driven away due to an arrogant and misguided sense of complacency.

142 of 180 (3,732 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 13, 2011 6:18:31 AM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by scoobydoo on Feb 13, 2011 at 10:06:31 AM

Just for the record.  I will NEVER return to Verizon.  $1000 is what I paid those [please be courteous].  All because my phone was turned off and in a safe deposit box while I was in Europe.  They can eat [word filter evasion] for all I care.

Just for the record.  I will NEVER return to Verizon.  $1000 is what I paid those [please be courteous].  All because my phone was turned off and in a safe deposit box while I was in Europe.  They can eat [word filter evasion] for all I care.

[ Edited ]
143 of 180 (3,623 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 13, 2011 8:14:39 PM
(0)
Scholar

Wanted to pass along my experience with ATT's total lack of updates on android. I have a Dell Streak, and in very similar territory to those with a Captivate. 

An upper level employee looked into the upgrade issue for me, even had his team do some research, and came back with nothing. There was no written information, or otherwise, regarding any update. 

My guess......is that this is similar to an internal Samsung document that had been leaked a month ago. All they (ATT, Samsung) want is the higher profite margin of 'new purchases', without the tech support drain of upgrades, etc. They don't care which apps we can't run, which bugs go unfixed, etc. It's all about (too) long contracts and making money.

That said, perhaps it's time ATT made a major change in their contract length. If you're going to sell a phone thats basically a small computer, yet completely fail to offer upgrades to the os, than make it feasible for the customer to get a new device within a valid timespan. Two years is far too long. Imagine where android was two years ago........

Wanted to pass along my experience with ATT's total lack of updates on android. I have a Dell Streak, and in very similar territory to those with a Captivate. 

An upper level employee looked into the upgrade issue for me, even had his team do some research, and came back with nothing. There was no written information, or otherwise, regarding any update. 

My guess......is that this is similar to an internal Samsung document that had been leaked a month ago. All they (ATT, Samsung) want is the higher profite margin of 'new purchases', without the tech support drain of upgrades, etc. They don't care which apps we can't run, which bugs go unfixed, etc. It's all about (too) long contracts and making money.

That said, perhaps it's time ATT made a major change in their contract length. If you're going to sell a phone thats basically a small computer, yet completely fail to offer upgrades to the os, than make it feasible for the customer to get a new device within a valid timespan. Two years is far too long. Imagine where android was two years ago........

144 of 180 (3,217 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 14, 2011 9:24:55 AM
(0)
Contributor

I've been waiting for the 2.2 upgrade since august. i was going to return the phone in september but was convinced the upgrade was coming. It's 6 months later and ATT still has not delivered. They sent me to Samsung, Samsung sent me back to ATT. Samsung's latest post says "when\if"I love the phone for what it does but I was told I would get the other features soon. Some of thes features are a deal breaker to me. Since the could not deliver for the last 6 months, they want to charge me a large termination fee to cancel the service they can't provede. IS A LAWYER NEXT?

I've been waiting for the 2.2 upgrade since august. i was going to return the phone in september but was convinced the upgrade was coming. It's 6 months later and ATT still has not delivered. They sent me to Samsung, Samsung sent me back to ATT. Samsung's latest post says "when\if"I love the phone for what it does but I was told I would get the other features soon. Some of thes features are a deal breaker to me. Since the could not deliver for the last 6 months, they want to charge me a large termination fee to cancel the service they can't provede. IS A LAWYER NEXT?

145 of 180 (2,902 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 14, 2011 10:21:44 AM
(0)
Scholar

I would never expect the update....

This is exactly what happened with my Samsung Infinity (nice choice of name, seeing as how it was outdated pretty quickly). Numerous updates were promised on the Samsung page (fixes, support for app downloads, etc). ATT and Samsung would always blame the other, said to call the other. After about four months the update promises disapeared from the official page.....and nothing ever did arrive.

Samsung has admitted to not updating phones as a policy. All they care about is getting the device on as many carriers as possible. Since ATT sold you/me the phone, I would expect ATT to have a major responsibility.

Try small claims court, see what happens. You may win, but can't imagine being able to collect, you'd probably have to hire a lawyer to do that as well.....and the size of the claim wouldn't justify it...... 

I would never expect the update....

This is exactly what happened with my Samsung Infinity (nice choice of name, seeing as how it was outdated pretty quickly). Numerous updates were promised on the Samsung page (fixes, support for app downloads, etc). ATT and Samsung would always blame the other, said to call the other. After about four months the update promises disapeared from the official page.....and nothing ever did arrive.

Samsung has admitted to not updating phones as a policy. All they care about is getting the device on as many carriers as possible. Since ATT sold you/me the phone, I would expect ATT to have a major responsibility.

Try small claims court, see what happens. You may win, but can't imagine being able to collect, you'd probably have to hire a lawyer to do that as well.....and the size of the claim wouldn't justify it...... 

146 of 180 (2,822 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 14, 2011 10:26:41 AM
(0)
Contributor

I just got off the phone with Samsung.  They told me that they don't have any information about the Captivate getting 2.2 nor 2.3. The guy also said that the phone wasn't discontinue and they were still making them.  I have been waiting for this upgrade for months.  all of the other providers have this upgrade but AT&T.  I'm done with Samsung.  They have drop the ball once again.

I just got off the phone with Samsung.  They told me that they don't have any information about the Captivate getting 2.2 nor 2.3. The guy also said that the phone wasn't discontinue and they were still making them.  I have been waiting for this upgrade for months.  all of the other providers have this upgrade but AT&T.  I'm done with Samsung.  They have drop the ball once again.

147 of 180 (2,808 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 15, 2011 3:13:43 PM
(0)
Tutor

Not sure why they are not telling us the truth with the update.  There is even a tutorial in there answer center that tells you how to send and recieve email on a captivate with android 2.2.  Class action time maybe?

http://www.wireless.att.com/answer-center/main.jsp?t=solutionTab&ft=searchTab&ps=solutionPanels&loca...

Not sure why they are not telling us the truth with the update.  There is even a tutorial in there answer center that tells you how to send and recieve email on a captivate with android 2.2.  Class action time maybe?

http://www.wireless.att.com/answer-center/main.jsp?t=solutionTab&ft=searchTab&ps=solutionPanels&locale=&_dyncharset=UTF-8&solutionId=KB115196&isSrch=Yes

148 of 180 (1,992 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 15, 2011 7:31:07 PM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by Glomag on Feb 16, 2011 at 6:31:29 AM

In the words of Cee Lo Green "Ain't that some {word filter evasion} I guess we'll all be learning how to flash the ROMs soon.

In the words of Cee Lo Green "Ain't that some {word filter evasion} I guess we'll all be learning how to flash the ROMs soon.

[ Edited ]
149 of 180 (1,857 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 15, 2011 8:33:14 PM
(0)
Tutor

I bought this phone because it was advertised as 2.2 ready.  At the time of the purchase it was faster that others I demoed and with the amoled screen looked awesome.  But the fact that it was 2.2 ready sold me.  If for some reason this DOESN'T get updated while a what I'm asuming alomost identical phone gets updated on t-mobile I'm talkin' to a lawyer.

I bought this phone because it was advertised as 2.2 ready.  At the time of the purchase it was faster that others I demoed and with the amoled screen looked awesome.  But the fact that it was 2.2 ready sold me.  If for some reason this DOESN'T get updated while a what I'm asuming alomost identical phone gets updated on t-mobile I'm talkin' to a lawyer.

150 of 180 (1,809 Views)