Helpful Links

froyo on captivate?

Teacher

froyo on captivate?

when can froyo be used on the captivate and how do u get it?

Message 1 of 180
Tutor

Re: I really did finally get Froyo!

Tried through chat and live phone and have squeaked about lack of Froyo on my phone and I get a non committal answer from AT&T and Samsung. Samsung cautioned me about updating through a third party since that would void the warranty.Any ideas where to go from here??

Message 76 of 180
Contributor

Re: froyo on captivate?

This is friggin ridiculous. All over the web, people are complaining... not so much about the lack of froyo for US Sammy devices, but the lack of a timetable. Having migrated from iphone to this thing, I am getting pretty frustrated over the shoddy e-mail app performance, the occasional system shutdowns, and poor calendar performance (to name the first few that come to mind).  So the big question... When is it coming? Two things I find odd about this:

1. It's been available outside the US for a few months now.

2. Technically, we should be able to jump to Gingerbread since the Nexus S is basically the same hardware.

Since it's all about the money, why don't you do this ATT... As soon as the android version is released, provide the untainted version for a respectable price (emphasis on the word respectable) to those of us willing to pay for it.  Then take your sweet time loading your unwanted bloatware for the free version.  This way you make your money both from die hards and people who might actually use your resource hogging apps.

Message 77 of 180

They haven't pushed any updates to 2.2 froyo and won't for the 2.3 Gingerbread becasue actually why should they. The Nexus S came out with Gingerbread on it and like stated AT&T is out to make money. Their way of thinking is if someone wants Gingerbread then they will have to buy a new phone with it installed on it. Why should they support an upgrade for a phone that they will make zero money off of.  An upgrade in their eyes means that they loose out on a sale of a new phone because most of us that have the Captivate are not eligable for a phone upgrade and would have to pay full price for a phone running 2.3 Gingerbread or even 2.2 Froyo. I switched to a smartphone ecause of the upcoming potential of them but honestly here is a little bit of advice to AT&T. You need to start listening to what your customers want and do something about it. I for one will not be contiuing my service with AT&T at the end of my contract and I will never ever consider returning even after 10+ years. AT&T you have absolutely turned into one of the biggest POS companies that cell phone users have ever had the option to avoid.

Message 78 of 180
Highlighted
Mentor

All the ad material says upgradable to os 2.2.  It would seem to me that they would have to do at least 2.2.  We shall see.

Message 79 of 180

elvisfan wrote:

All the ad material says upgradable to os 2.2.  It would seem to me that they would have to do at least 2.2.  We shall see.

"Upgradeable" means the capability is there, and it undeniably is.  The availability of updates for international versions of the phone, as well as the unsupported ROMs available through third parties, proves that the phone is upgradeable to 2.2.  Regardless of whether there ever is an official update, that portion of the advertising is absolutely correct.

I'm not saying there won't or shouldn't be an update.  I'm looking forward to it.  I'm just saying that the claim of the phone being upgradeable is true now and was true the moment the first Captivate shipped.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.
Message 80 of 180
Tutor

Here's what I'd love to see - I'd LOVE to see someone from the media put an AT&T spokesman or spokeswoman on the spot with regards to this issue.

I want AT&T to publicly defend their seemingly inexplicable hesitancy in releasing Froyo for the Captivate or even a SCHEDULE FOR AN UPDATE !

As someone pointed out earlier, I don't think AT&T is interested in investing any money in a software upgrade for a phone when they are clearly selling so many of them !

Another financial disincentive for them is the clear loss of the iPhone market to Verizon in the very near future. Anyone who has the slightest brains will stop buying AT&T iPhone and instead, go to Verizon. This is bound to put a major damper on future revenue forecasts at AT&T. Under such scenarios, these chaps may not be wishing to spend money on an otherwise non-revenue-bearing exercise.

To a smart and rational marketing strategist, however, this is a very strong reason to actually strongly support the Android market and to nurture another massive source of customer loyalty. However, in this day and age of cost-cutting in a tough economy, it is obvious that it is the antiquated bureaucrat who is in charge of customer service whose only motto is 'give the customer the shaft once they've bought into a contract'.

I, for one, would like to see if there is any possibility of forcing AT&T's hand in this matter - legally or through an investigation by a governmental committee of a misleading selling practice by AT&T. If the company is stupid enough to believe that they can keep giving customers the shaft and not even discuss possible dates, if any, on the upgrade, then loyalty and nicety be (word filter evasion) (deliberately mis-spelled for getting past the censors)!

Message 81 of 180
Contributor

In case you haven't noticed, none of the US Galaxy S phones have Froyo.  This isn't just an AT&T issue.  From what I've learned, Samsung has a ton of issues with the upgrade process and is not allowing any of the carriers to upgrade at this time.

As for "forcing" the hand of AT&T - why on earth would you want our government to stick their nose into this?  AT&T hasn't lied about anything.  The Captivate is upgradable to Froyo.  The upgrade date was very generic and was never specified.  Besides, upgrade target dates come and go on most every type of hardware. 

If you don't like how AT&T is handling the Froyo upgrade, take a look at the other carriers and how they are handling it.  Sell your phone and move on to something else.  Otherwise, you can either wait for Samsung to offer the upgrade or you can flash one of the many excellent leaked Froyo ROMs.

Message 82 of 180
Tutor

Looks like your right...At&t gets a pass for now.

http://www.brighthand.com/default.asp?newsID=17346&news=Google+Android+OS+2.2+Samsung+Galaxy+S+Epic+...

I hope they're enjoying their sales @Samsung because they're flushing their customer loyalty down the drain.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2374984,00.asp

Message 83 of 180
Contributor

I dont know what you two are talking about. Samsung only has to get the OS working with the hardware, and they already did. Thats why Canada already has 2.2 working on their samsung hardware.

This is AT&T, not samsung. If it were samsung, then there would not be any Samsung device running 2.2 (or 2.3 for that matter, which one already is)

Message 84 of 180
Contributor

in response to the last remark by avisap:

ok...you sound like a really intelligent person, which is why i'm befuddled by your remarks.

first:

QUOTE: "I, for one, would like to see if there is any possibility of forcing AT&T's hand in this matter - legally or through an investigation by a governmental committee of a misleading selling practice by AT&T."

-have you noticed that Samsung hasn't offered any 'official' updates for any of their Galaxy S devices in the US, besides the Nexus S and Galaxy Tab, which both come pre-installed with 2.3 Gingerbread. i understand at&t unfortunately has its part to play in restricting any new OS, but let's not shift the entire blame when Samsung is clearly at fault.

second:

QUOTE: "Another financial disincentive for them is the clear loss of the iPhone market to Verizon in the very near future. Anyone who has the slightest brains will stop buying AT&T iPhone and instead, go to Verizon."

-what technical insight do you have that guarantee’s the success and ability of Verizon's aging CDMA network, to miracuously run the iPhone with little to no issues at start up? that being said, why are you giving positive expectations of Verizon's ability to support millions of bandwidth hungry iPhone customers; especially when the iPhone nearly crippled the country's largest wireless network (at that time), running off of the newer and more efficient GSM technology?

in opposition to your remarks, it would be smart for any potential Verizon/iPhone customer to wait, and let the metaphorical dust settle before blindly jumping into a two-year contract with the only other carrier to officially run the iPhone in the US since its debut. you can bet millions of at&t/iPhone customers had wished they waited at one point or another during the four-year exclusive contract.

finally:

-with the success of the many Galaxy S devices, and Samsung's recent announcement of the many new devices they're releasing for all four major carriers in 2011, what incentive do they have to keep up with an update on this device. BOO Samsung. i was a huge fan. unfortunately, i'm afraid i will be looking to the recently announced Motorola Atrix for my next upgrade, which WILL run on 4G. it will also have a 1ghz, dual core processor, Android 2.2 Froyo build and (my favorite) an nVidia Telsa 2 integrated graphics chip. along with this, it will also sport a 4.3 inch screen, 1gb of RAM, and 16gb of memory. i'm not a Motorola fan, however, they DO keep up with their updates and due to Samsung's recent track record, the Atrix seems like a great option.

(btw, i own a Samsung Captivate, and am aggravated as well. however, with the subtraction of Flash 10.1 support, this is still one of the most beautiful and powerful devices manufactured today)

Message 85 of 180
Contributor

My wife who is an AT&T customer and Captivate owner put me on to these forums.  I am a Verizon customer an HTC incredible owner.  As you may or may not know, the Droid Incredible was updated to Froyo months ago.  I love all of the extra features and bells and whistles we've gotten after the update.  I love HTC, because they care about their customer. 

I had to sign up for these forums after getting a good laugh at everyone's expense -- whining like a bunch of babies over a software update on a smart phone.  Call the Whaaaaaaambulance!!  I feel so special after reading these forums.  Thanks for making my day..lol Smiley Very Happy 

Message 86 of 180
Teacher

Your wife obviously has bad taste then, in more ways than one.

To those of you arguing whose fault it is for the delay, I blame both AT&T and Samsung.  Mainly Samsung, as they have promised deadlines that have not been met over, and over, and over again.  AT&T gets some of the blame for not doing more to work with Samsung and nudge them into getting this taken care of in a timely fashion.

It is really ridiculous that Samsung's flagship phones have not been properly updated in 6 months now when other manufacturers have handled it easily.

Message 87 of 180
Contributor

Why would you blame samsung, when samsung already has it working with their hardware and software. At this point, the reason its not been rolled out is because of the wireless carrier.

Samsung is responsible making it work with thier hardware and their software. ATT then pushes out the update on their network. Canada Samsung phones already have the 2.2 update. I can tell you that Canada and the USA are pretty close together, and I would have to assume that my Samsung Captivate cant be all that different from one in Canada. So if a Samsung Captivate can run 2.2 in Canada, what is holding it back in the US????

the only phone that I know of on ATT where the OS is not controlled by ATT, is the IPhone. All other phone's OS are controlled by ATT in terms of when they will be released.

Message 88 of 180
Professor

RealiBrad wrote:

Why would you blame samsung, when samsung already has it working with their hardware and software. At this point, the reason its not been rolled out is because of the wireless carrier.

Samsung is responsible making it work with thier hardware and their software. ATT then pushes out the update on their network. Canada Samsung phones already have the 2.2 update. I can tell you that Canada and the USA are pretty close together, and I would have to assume that my Samsung Captivate cant be all that different from one in Canada. So if a Samsung Captivate can run 2.2 in Canada, what is holding it back in the US????

the only phone that I know of on ATT where the OS is not controlled by ATT, is the IPhone. All other phone's OS are controlled by ATT in terms of when they will be released.

People put the blame on Samsung because none of the US Galaxy S variants have Froyo.  To put the blame on the carrier is to blame at least 5 different carriers.

Message 89 of 180
Mentor

Some more good news comes to Canadian owners of the Samsung Captivate, as Rogers has finally rolled out Android 2.2 updates to their customers. The Froyo update comes through the Kies software, so if you don't have that package installed already, you may want to jump on that beforehand. Does this mean that those of us in the states on the AT&T Captivate might see our 2.2 launch soon? Well, we won't hold our breath- that's for sure.

moerons = AT&T

Message 90 of 180
Share this topic
Announcements

Find out how to track your iPhone's delivery!

Have questions about International Plans? Get the answers on Wed. 10/25 at Hello World: International Plans, from 1-4pm ET / 10am-1pm PT!

Let us help you upgrade and activate your device!

Additional Support