Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Jul 15, 2010
4:01:17 PM
View profile
froyo on captivate?

when can froyo be used on the captivate and how do u get it?

when can froyo be used on the captivate and how do u get it?

froyo on captivate?

179 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(179)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 15, 2010 1:24:47 PM
(0)
Tutor

Thanks for the tip.

http://www.techwatch.co.uk/2010/12/11/gingerbread-incoming-for-samsung-galaxy-s/

Something to look forward to (ROM), even if AT&T never releases it.  Starting to doubt they will ever fix the GPS problem. 

Thanks for the tip.

http://www.techwatch.co.uk/2010/12/11/gingerbread-incoming-for-samsung-galaxy-s/

Something to look forward to (ROM), even if AT&T never releases it.  Starting to doubt they will ever fix the GPS problem. 

Re: FINALLY I GOT IT!

61 of 180 (3,954 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 15, 2010 5:47:23 PM
(0)
Mentor

So I started my calling campaign today...It was almost laughable..

Talk about clueless!! Sheesh after 3 tranfers and about 30 minutes of holds with plenty of

" I do appologise for your frustration , I will see what we can do to get you an answer "

END RESULT....NOTHING!

responses I got varied from " I don't know" , "I don't think so" , " FroYo ? what is that?"

"Androis 2. what? , " We don't update the phones only the manufacturers know when that will be"

" I think it's already been out now, have You reset your phone to try it " Holly Molly!! :eek

CHEESE and RICE! doesn't anyone over there know what the SAM-HILL is going on! I beginning to think NO!

It's OK because I'm going to call every day until either I get a straight answer or I single handedly Educate every one of there so called customer representatives. What exactly it is WE need, Want, and where promised by signing the 2 yr contract! PERIOD!!

Please don't waste your time or mine by flamming me, Go read the fine print of the sub-contract....all of it!

So I started my calling campaign today...It was almost laughable..

Talk about clueless!! Sheesh after 3 tranfers and about 30 minutes of holds with plenty of

" I do appologise for your frustration , I will see what we can do to get you an answer "

END RESULT....NOTHING!

responses I got varied from " I don't know" , "I don't think so" , " FroYo ? what is that?"

"Androis 2. what? , " We don't update the phones only the manufacturers know when that will be"

" I think it's already been out now, have You reset your phone to try it " Holly Molly!! :eek

CHEESE and RICE! doesn't anyone over there know what the SAM-HILL is going on! I beginning to think NO!

It's OK because I'm going to call every day until either I get a straight answer or I single handedly Educate every one of there so called customer representatives. What exactly it is WE need, Want, and where promised by signing the 2 yr contract! PERIOD!!

Please don't waste your time or mine by flamming me, Go read the fine print of the sub-contract....all of it!

Sent from My Android Phone...Still waiting on Froyo 2.2 From AT&T

62 of 180 (3,826 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 16, 2010 8:35:21 AM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by gpnmoab on Dec 16, 2010 at 9:10:01 AM

Just my 2 cents worth here... I too want the update to 2.2, who doesn't. I do not have any issues with my GPS once I installed the first update that came out sometime ago. I use the GPS for navigation in town and I use it offroad in the mountains and it's very accurate, in fact, I now have shelved all my dedicated GPS devices since getting the Captivate. I do want the upgrade for Flash 10.1 so that I can watch movies on the phone and download content from Samsung's "Media Hub", but it's not a deal breaker if I don't get this update for this very advanced phone. So to get to my point. AT&T is a great company. I worked for them for 19 years and now another communications company spunoff from them and I don't see any issue with AT&T that all companies don't suffer from. Our front-line tech support is not aware of everything either and I don't expect them to be, but do I expect them to research and get me the answer I want. Given that... It's apparent that Samsung and AT&T alike will not give any date nor entertain anyone's questions about Android 2.2 update going forward as they have not since this all began months ago and any information that was given is almostly entirely inaccurate and probably shouldn't have been released anyway. I think at this point I don't blame them as pushing out software to meet a published date is a sure way to receive buggy software. (I'm a software engineer and I know this first-hand). So the moral of this story is patience because at this point that is all we have left. I'm sure our discust over all this waiting is causing nightmares for the Product Manager and they are pressing their development team to "Git-R-Done".

It will come sooner or later...

Just my 2 cents worth here... I too want the update to 2.2, who doesn't. I do not have any issues with my GPS once I installed the first update that came out sometime ago. I use the GPS for navigation in town and I use it offroad in the mountains and it's very accurate, in fact, I now have shelved all my dedicated GPS devices since getting the Captivate. I do want the upgrade for Flash 10.1 so that I can watch movies on the phone and download content from Samsung's "Media Hub", but it's not a deal breaker if I don't get this update for this very advanced phone. So to get to my point. AT&T is a great company. I worked for them for 19 years and now another communications company spunoff from them and I don't see any issue with AT&T that all companies don't suffer from. Our front-line tech support is not aware of everything either and I don't expect them to be, but do I expect them to research and get me the answer I want. Given that... It's apparent that Samsung and AT&T alike will not give any date nor entertain anyone's questions about Android 2.2 update going forward as they have not since this all began months ago and any information that was given is almostly entirely inaccurate and probably shouldn't have been released anyway. I think at this point I don't blame them as pushing out software to meet a published date is a sure way to receive buggy software. (I'm a software engineer and I know this first-hand). So the moral of this story is patience because at this point that is all we have left. I'm sure our discust over all this waiting is causing nightmares for the Product Manager and they are pressing their development team to "Git-R-Done".

[ Edited ]
63 of 180 (3,647 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 16, 2010 11:54:24 AM
(0)
Tutor

http://phandroid.com/2010/11/30/still-having-gps-issues-with-the-vibrant-and-captivate-samsung-to-th...

If this is the best they can do after 5 months.....its not getting fixed Smiley Sad

64 of 180 (3,512 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 16, 2010 2:52:43 PM
(0)
Contributor

I bought my Captivate a couple of weesks ago and was told by AT&T sales, both at the AT&T store and by calling customer support, that Froyo (Android 2.2) would be available for my Captivate. They could not tell me when.

I am posting this with the hopes that AT&T actually does pay attention to its customers. I want Froyo and was told I would. And yes I am stuck with a 2 year contract but there are other cell phone companies that I will go to when my contract is up if AT&T doesn't honor its word.

I bought my Captivate a couple of weesks ago and was told by AT&T sales, both at the AT&T store and by calling customer support, that Froyo (Android 2.2) would be available for my Captivate. They could not tell me when.

I am posting this with the hopes that AT&T actually does pay attention to its customers. I want Froyo and was told I would. And yes I am stuck with a 2 year contract but there are other cell phone companies that I will go to when my contract is up if AT&T doesn't honor its word.

65 of 180 (3,411 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 16, 2010 9:49:51 PM
(0)
Teacher

Hello, you talk about your 2 year contract.  If they haven't lived up to their end of the contract, why should we have to live up to our end?  All the promotional material says upgradeable to 2.2.  It would seem to me that if you want to, you should be able to get out of the contract.  They are not living up to their end of the bargain.  

Hello, you talk about your 2 year contract.  If they haven't lived up to their end of the contract, why should we have to live up to our end?  All the promotional material says upgradeable to 2.2.  It would seem to me that if you want to, you should be able to get out of the contract.  They are not living up to their end of the bargain.  

66 of 180 (3,230 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 16, 2010 9:50:25 PM
(0)
Teacher

To get a reply. I had to re submit.

To get a reply. I had to re submit.

67 of 180 (3,229 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 17, 2010 3:25:40 AM
(0)
Expert
Edited by wingrider01 on Dec 17, 2010 at 3:27:08 AM

elvisfan wrote:

key phrase noted, where does it say that it will definitely be updated? I doubt legal would let anything through in a official statement that can be used to terminate a contract with no etf - statements by employees in stores, etc are not legally binding

elvisfan wrote:

key phrase noted, where does it say that it will definitely be updated? I doubt legal would let anything through in a official statement that can be used to terminate a contract with no etf - statements by employees in stores, etc are not legally binding

[ Edited ]
68 of 180 (3,166 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 17, 2010 7:54:28 AM
(0)
Teacher

I'm no lawyer, but saying upgradable to 2.2, could imply that it would be upgraded.  there are also safety issues here also.  Not being able to Voice dial via Bluetooth is a safety issue.  I bought this phone for my wife.  I couldn't believe that something that has been included for 10 years on regular phones was not on the Android system. 

I'm no lawyer, but saying upgradable to 2.2, could imply that it would be upgraded.  there are also safety issues here also.  Not being able to Voice dial via Bluetooth is a safety issue.  I bought this phone for my wife.  I couldn't believe that something that has been included for 10 years on regular phones was not on the Android system. 

69 of 180 (3,064 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 17, 2010 10:10:51 AM
(0)
Expert

elvisfan wrote:

Who knows, but for a crass action suite as someone mentioned, I guess anything can be allowed as a reason.

elvisfan wrote:

Who knows, but for a crass action suite as someone mentioned, I guess anything can be allowed as a reason.

70 of 180 (2,989 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 17, 2010 11:39:51 AM
(0)
Explorer
Edited by pawpawwalt on Dec 17, 2010 at 11:41:36 AM

gpnmoab wrote:

I guess a safe assumption would be that it's going to be "later" - as in MUCH later....   Smiley Tongue

gpnmoab wrote:

I guess a safe assumption would be that it's going to be "later" - as in MUCH later....   Smiley Tongue

[ Edited ]
71 of 180 (5,703 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 17, 2010 11:47:05 AM
(0)
Teacher

The 2.3b6 cognition ROM, anyway. There are a couple of videos on Youtube that show you how, although it was actually much more difficult than it looks in the video for a noob like myself. I had been waiting since July for this and finally got fed up and no longer believed any story that says Froyo is coming next month.

Verdict - it works great. I never had a GPS problem, and still don't. There are a few nice features, but I can't figure out how to do handsfree bluetooth voicedial, which is supposedly supported in 2.2, and the main reason I updated. Well, that and the stupid Battery Fully Charged popup that drove me crazy and that _was_ removed so overall the update was worth it.

The 2.3b6 cognition ROM, anyway. There are a couple of videos on Youtube that show you how, although it was actually much more difficult than it looks in the video for a noob like myself. I had been waiting since July for this and finally got fed up and no longer believed any story that says Froyo is coming next month.

Verdict - it works great. I never had a GPS problem, and still don't. There are a few nice features, but I can't figure out how to do handsfree bluetooth voicedial, which is supposedly supported in 2.2, and the main reason I updated. Well, that and the stupid Battery Fully Charged popup that drove me crazy and that _was_ removed so overall the update was worth it.

I really did finally get Froyo!

72 of 180 (5,686 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 17, 2010 3:32:26 PM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by pjglassman on Dec 17, 2010 at 3:40:45 PM

Well to make matters worse...LOL

Google posts Android 2.3 source code
updated 04:35 pm EST, Fri December 17, 2010 Android 2.3 source code goes up for developers

As promised with the launch of the Nexus S, Google's Open Source Project on Friday posted the source code for Android 2.3. The move both lets developers modify the base OS but also gives the go-ahead to companies making devices without the Google blessing needed for Android Market or certain official apps. All of the underlying features, including the built-in VoIP support, are the same as for more closed builds.

As with usual open-source projects, users can modify the code as much as they like or in some cases roll changes into the main release, although Google maintains full control. The download has been popular enough that Google has been asking developers to wait either until later today or later in the week.

Well here we wait... for FroYo 2.2 Update! AT&T I don't want to root my phone and void the warranty like so many others here.
I doubt now from talking to the reps, that if they don't release it by years end I will break the contract and they can NOT charge me an ETF [Per Guidelines:  Keep it Relevant and Appropriate]. They are bound by the representations made when I purchased the phone. I have Time date and individuals name from the Store , I contacted AT&T billing and described the situation and the promises made...I got a $40 loyal customer credit for this month for them not living up to there agreement. I purchased this phone for a specific reason and they acknowledge that.

My advice to all the users on here that want results CALL,  remember "the squeeky wheel gets the oil"
{Please keep it courteous}...You don't have to pay an ETF if you know what to tell them.[Per Guidelines:  Keep it Relevant and Appropriate]. ..so I believe they will roll it out but they can't commit to a date. In my case they have until. Jan to keep there end of the bargan I made so Good LUCK and don't let folks scare you into thinking you have no recourse if they leave you hanging. IMO

Well to make matters worse...LOL

Google posts Android 2.3 source code
updated 04:35 pm EST, Fri December 17, 2010 Android 2.3 source code goes up for developers

As promised with the launch of the Nexus S, Google's Open Source Project on Friday posted the source code for Android 2.3. The move both lets developers modify the base OS but also gives the go-ahead to companies making devices without the Google blessing needed for Android Market or certain official apps. All of the underlying features, including the built-in VoIP support, are the same as for more closed builds.

As with usual open-source projects, users can modify the code as much as they like or in some cases roll changes into the main release, although Google maintains full control. The download has been popular enough that Google has been asking developers to wait either until later today or later in the week.

Well here we wait... for FroYo 2.2 Update! AT&T I don't want to root my phone and void the warranty like so many others here.
I doubt now from talking to the reps, that if they don't release it by years end I will break the contract and they can NOT charge me an ETF [Per Guidelines:  Keep it Relevant and Appropriate]. They are bound by the representations made when I purchased the phone. I have Time date and individuals name from the Store , I contacted AT&T billing and described the situation and the promises made...I got a $40 loyal customer credit for this month for them not living up to there agreement. I purchased this phone for a specific reason and they acknowledge that.

My advice to all the users on here that want results CALL,  remember "the squeeky wheel gets the oil"
{Please keep it courteous}...You don't have to pay an ETF if you know what to tell them.[Per Guidelines:  Keep it Relevant and Appropriate]. ..so I believe they will roll it out but they can't commit to a date. In my case they have until. Jan to keep there end of the bargan I made so Good LUCK and don't let folks scare you into thinking you have no recourse if they leave you hanging. IMO

Re: I really did finally get Froyo!

[ Edited ]
73 of 180 (5,564 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 21, 2010 4:30:37 AM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by evancds on Dec 21, 2010 at 4:31:54 AM

Had a feeling I might be going straight to gingerbread.  This confirms it.  AT&T can take their crapware and shove it!

Had a feeling I might be going straight to gingerbread.  This confirms it.  AT&T can take their crapware and shove it!

[ Edited ]
74 of 180 (4,922 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 27, 2010 12:47:54 PM
(0)
Contributor

Well,looks like im getting on the phone and using my superior language skills to get the answer..

Well,looks like im getting on the phone and using my superior language skills to get the answer..

75 of 180 (3,977 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 27, 2010 1:35:29 PM
(0)
Tutor

Tried through chat and live phone and have squeaked about lack of Froyo on my phone and I get a non committal answer from AT&T and Samsung. Samsung cautioned me about updating through a third party since that would void the warranty.Any ideas where to go from here??

Tried through chat and live phone and have squeaked about lack of Froyo on my phone and I get a non committal answer from AT&T and Samsung. Samsung cautioned me about updating through a third party since that would void the warranty.Any ideas where to go from here??

76 of 180 (3,926 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 27, 2010 3:46:32 PM
(0)
Contributor

This is friggin ridiculous. All over the web, people are complaining... not so much about the lack of froyo for US Sammy devices, but the lack of a timetable. Having migrated from iphone to this thing, I am getting pretty frustrated over the shoddy e-mail app performance, the occasional system shutdowns, and poor calendar performance (to name the first few that come to mind).  So the big question... When is it coming? Two things I find odd about this:

1. It's been available outside the US for a few months now.

2. Technically, we should be able to jump to Gingerbread since the Nexus S is basically the same hardware.

Since it's all about the money, why don't you do this ATT... As soon as the android version is released, provide the untainted version for a respectable price (emphasis on the word respectable) to those of us willing to pay for it.  Then take your sweet time loading your unwanted bloatware for the free version.  This way you make your money both from die hards and people who might actually use your resource hogging apps.

This is friggin ridiculous. All over the web, people are complaining... not so much about the lack of froyo for US Sammy devices, but the lack of a timetable. Having migrated from iphone to this thing, I am getting pretty frustrated over the shoddy e-mail app performance, the occasional system shutdowns, and poor calendar performance (to name the first few that come to mind).  So the big question... When is it coming? Two things I find odd about this:

1. It's been available outside the US for a few months now.

2. Technically, we should be able to jump to Gingerbread since the Nexus S is basically the same hardware.

Since it's all about the money, why don't you do this ATT... As soon as the android version is released, provide the untainted version for a respectable price (emphasis on the word respectable) to those of us willing to pay for it.  Then take your sweet time loading your unwanted bloatware for the free version.  This way you make your money both from die hards and people who might actually use your resource hogging apps.

Re: froyo on captivate?

77 of 180 (3,832 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 1, 2011 2:02:55 PM
(0)
Contributor

They haven't pushed any updates to 2.2 froyo and won't for the 2.3 Gingerbread becasue actually why should they. The Nexus S came out with Gingerbread on it and like stated AT&T is out to make money. Their way of thinking is if someone wants Gingerbread then they will have to buy a new phone with it installed on it. Why should they support an upgrade for a phone that they will make zero money off of.  An upgrade in their eyes means that they loose out on a sale of a new phone because most of us that have the Captivate are not eligable for a phone upgrade and would have to pay full price for a phone running 2.3 Gingerbread or even 2.2 Froyo. I switched to a smartphone ecause of the upcoming potential of them but honestly here is a little bit of advice to AT&T. You need to start listening to what your customers want and do something about it. I for one will not be contiuing my service with AT&T at the end of my contract and I will never ever consider returning even after 10+ years. AT&T you have absolutely turned into one of the biggest POS companies that cell phone users have ever had the option to avoid.

They haven't pushed any updates to 2.2 froyo and won't for the 2.3 Gingerbread becasue actually why should they. The Nexus S came out with Gingerbread on it and like stated AT&T is out to make money. Their way of thinking is if someone wants Gingerbread then they will have to buy a new phone with it installed on it. Why should they support an upgrade for a phone that they will make zero money off of.  An upgrade in their eyes means that they loose out on a sale of a new phone because most of us that have the Captivate are not eligable for a phone upgrade and would have to pay full price for a phone running 2.3 Gingerbread or even 2.2 Froyo. I switched to a smartphone ecause of the upcoming potential of them but honestly here is a little bit of advice to AT&T. You need to start listening to what your customers want and do something about it. I for one will not be contiuing my service with AT&T at the end of my contract and I will never ever consider returning even after 10+ years. AT&T you have absolutely turned into one of the biggest POS companies that cell phone users have ever had the option to avoid.

78 of 180 (2,670 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 1, 2011 7:05:05 PM
(0)
Teacher

All the ad material says upgradable to os 2.2.  It would seem to me that they would have to do at least 2.2.  We shall see.

All the ad material says upgradable to os 2.2.  It would seem to me that they would have to do at least 2.2.  We shall see.

79 of 180 (2,571 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 1, 2011 7:20:13 PM
(0)
Guru

elvisfan wrote:

"Upgradeable" means the capability is there, and it undeniably is.  The availability of updates for international versions of the phone, as well as the unsupported ROMs available through third parties, proves that the phone is upgradeable to 2.2.  Regardless of whether there ever is an official update, that portion of the advertising is absolutely correct.

I'm not saying there won't or shouldn't be an update.  I'm looking forward to it.  I'm just saying that the claim of the phone being upgradeable is true now and was true the moment the first Captivate shipped.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.

elvisfan wrote:

"Upgradeable" means the capability is there, and it undeniably is.  The availability of updates for international versions of the phone, as well as the unsupported ROMs available through third parties, proves that the phone is upgradeable to 2.2.  Regardless of whether there ever is an official update, that portion of the advertising is absolutely correct.

I'm not saying there won't or shouldn't be an update.  I'm looking forward to it.  I'm just saying that the claim of the phone being upgradeable is true now and was true the moment the first Captivate shipped.

80 of 180 (2,563 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 1, 2011 11:30:36 PM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by scoobydoo on Jan 2, 2011 at 9:03:06 AM

Here's what I'd love to see - I'd LOVE to see someone from the media put an AT&T spokesman or spokeswoman on the spot with regards to this issue.

I want AT&T to publicly defend their seemingly inexplicable hesitancy in releasing Froyo for the Captivate or even a SCHEDULE FOR AN UPDATE !

As someone pointed out earlier, I don't think AT&T is interested in investing any money in a software upgrade for a phone when they are clearly selling so many of them !

Another financial disincentive for them is the clear loss of the iPhone market to Verizon in the very near future. Anyone who has the slightest brains will stop buying AT&T iPhone and instead, go to Verizon. This is bound to put a major damper on future revenue forecasts at AT&T. Under such scenarios, these chaps may not be wishing to spend money on an otherwise non-revenue-bearing exercise.

To a smart and rational marketing strategist, however, this is a very strong reason to actually strongly support the Android market and to nurture another massive source of customer loyalty. However, in this day and age of cost-cutting in a tough economy, it is obvious that it is the antiquated bureaucrat who is in charge of customer service whose only motto is 'give the customer the shaft once they've bought into a contract'.

I, for one, would like to see if there is any possibility of forcing AT&T's hand in this matter - legally or through an investigation by a governmental committee of a misleading selling practice by AT&T. If the company is stupid enough to believe that they can keep giving customers the shaft and not even discuss possible dates, if any, on the upgrade, then loyalty and nicety be (word filter evasion) (deliberately mis-spelled for getting past the censors)!

Here's what I'd love to see - I'd LOVE to see someone from the media put an AT&T spokesman or spokeswoman on the spot with regards to this issue.

I want AT&T to publicly defend their seemingly inexplicable hesitancy in releasing Froyo for the Captivate or even a SCHEDULE FOR AN UPDATE !

As someone pointed out earlier, I don't think AT&T is interested in investing any money in a software upgrade for a phone when they are clearly selling so many of them !

Another financial disincentive for them is the clear loss of the iPhone market to Verizon in the very near future. Anyone who has the slightest brains will stop buying AT&T iPhone and instead, go to Verizon. This is bound to put a major damper on future revenue forecasts at AT&T. Under such scenarios, these chaps may not be wishing to spend money on an otherwise non-revenue-bearing exercise.

To a smart and rational marketing strategist, however, this is a very strong reason to actually strongly support the Android market and to nurture another massive source of customer loyalty. However, in this day and age of cost-cutting in a tough economy, it is obvious that it is the antiquated bureaucrat who is in charge of customer service whose only motto is 'give the customer the shaft once they've bought into a contract'.

I, for one, would like to see if there is any possibility of forcing AT&T's hand in this matter - legally or through an investigation by a governmental committee of a misleading selling practice by AT&T. If the company is stupid enough to believe that they can keep giving customers the shaft and not even discuss possible dates, if any, on the upgrade, then loyalty and nicety be (word filter evasion) (deliberately mis-spelled for getting past the censors)!

[ Edited ]
81 of 180 (5,211 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 2, 2011 8:37:24 AM
(0)
Contributor

In case you haven't noticed, none of the US Galaxy S phones have Froyo.  This isn't just an AT&T issue.  From what I've learned, Samsung has a ton of issues with the upgrade process and is not allowing any of the carriers to upgrade at this time.

As for "forcing" the hand of AT&T - why on earth would you want our government to stick their nose into this?  AT&T hasn't lied about anything.  The Captivate is upgradable to Froyo.  The upgrade date was very generic and was never specified.  Besides, upgrade target dates come and go on most every type of hardware. 

If you don't like how AT&T is handling the Froyo upgrade, take a look at the other carriers and how they are handling it.  Sell your phone and move on to something else.  Otherwise, you can either wait for Samsung to offer the upgrade or you can flash one of the many excellent leaked Froyo ROMs.

In case you haven't noticed, none of the US Galaxy S phones have Froyo.  This isn't just an AT&T issue.  From what I've learned, Samsung has a ton of issues with the upgrade process and is not allowing any of the carriers to upgrade at this time.

As for "forcing" the hand of AT&T - why on earth would you want our government to stick their nose into this?  AT&T hasn't lied about anything.  The Captivate is upgradable to Froyo.  The upgrade date was very generic and was never specified.  Besides, upgrade target dates come and go on most every type of hardware. 

If you don't like how AT&T is handling the Froyo upgrade, take a look at the other carriers and how they are handling it.  Sell your phone and move on to something else.  Otherwise, you can either wait for Samsung to offer the upgrade or you can flash one of the many excellent leaked Froyo ROMs.

82 of 180 (5,072 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 3, 2011 10:46:33 AM
(0)
Tutor

Looks like your right...At&t gets a pass for now.

http://www.brighthand.com/default.asp?newsID=17346&news=Google+Android+OS+2.2+Samsung+Galaxy+S+Epic+...

I hope they're enjoying their sales @Samsung because they're flushing their customer loyalty down the drain.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2374984,00.asp

Looks like your right...At&t gets a pass for now.

http://www.brighthand.com/default.asp?newsID=17346&news=Google+Android+OS+2.2+Samsung+Galaxy+S+Epic+4G+Vibrant+Fascinate+Froyo

I hope they're enjoying their sales @Samsung because they're flushing their customer loyalty down the drain.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2374984,00.asp

83 of 180 (4,554 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 10, 2011 6:07:50 PM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by RealiBrad on Jan 10, 2011 at 6:09:18 PM

I dont know what you two are talking about. Samsung only has to get the OS working with the hardware, and they already did. Thats why Canada already has 2.2 working on their samsung hardware.

This is AT&T, not samsung. If it were samsung, then there would not be any Samsung device running 2.2 (or 2.3 for that matter, which one already is)

I dont know what you two are talking about. Samsung only has to get the OS working with the hardware, and they already did. Thats why Canada already has 2.2 working on their samsung hardware.

This is AT&T, not samsung. If it were samsung, then there would not be any Samsung device running 2.2 (or 2.3 for that matter, which one already is)

[ Edited ]
84 of 180 (3,075 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 10, 2011 11:04:21 PM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by MoralR77 on Jan 10, 2011 at 11:06:36 PM

in response to the last remark by avisap:

ok...you sound like a really intelligent person, which is why i'm befuddled by your remarks.

first:

QUOTE: "I, for one, would like to see if there is any possibility of forcing AT&T's hand in this matter - legally or through an investigation by a governmental committee of a misleading selling practice by AT&T."

-have you noticed that Samsung hasn't offered any 'official' updates for any of their Galaxy S devices in the US, besides the Nexus S and Galaxy Tab, which both come pre-installed with 2.3 Gingerbread. i understand at&t unfortunately has its part to play in restricting any new OS, but let's not shift the entire blame when Samsung is clearly at fault.

second:

QUOTE: "Another financial disincentive for them is the clear loss of the iPhone market to Verizon in the very near future. Anyone who has the slightest brains will stop buying AT&T iPhone and instead, go to Verizon."

-what technical insight do you have that guarantee’s the success and ability of Verizon's aging CDMA network, to miracuously run the iPhone with little to no issues at start up? that being said, why are you giving positive expectations of Verizon's ability to support millions of bandwidth hungry iPhone customers; especially when the iPhone nearly crippled the country's largest wireless network (at that time), running off of the newer and more efficient GSM technology?

in opposition to your remarks, it would be smart for any potential Verizon/iPhone customer to wait, and let the metaphorical dust settle before blindly jumping into a two-year contract with the only other carrier to officially run the iPhone in the US since its debut. you can bet millions of at&t/iPhone customers had wished they waited at one point or another during the four-year exclusive contract.

finally:

-with the success of the many Galaxy S devices, and Samsung's recent announcement of the many new devices they're releasing for all four major carriers in 2011, what incentive do they have to keep up with an update on this device. BOO Samsung. i was a huge fan. unfortunately, i'm afraid i will be looking to the recently announced Motorola Atrix for my next upgrade, which WILL run on 4G. it will also have a 1ghz, dual core processor, Android 2.2 Froyo build and (my favorite) an nVidia Telsa 2 integrated graphics chip. along with this, it will also sport a 4.3 inch screen, 1gb of RAM, and 16gb of memory. i'm not a Motorola fan, however, they DO keep up with their updates and due to Samsung's recent track record, the Atrix seems like a great option.

(btw, i own a Samsung Captivate, and am aggravated as well. however, with the subtraction of Flash 10.1 support, this is still one of the most beautiful and powerful devices manufactured today)

in response to the last remark by avisap:

ok...you sound like a really intelligent person, which is why i'm befuddled by your remarks.

first:

QUOTE: "I, for one, would like to see if there is any possibility of forcing AT&T's hand in this matter - legally or through an investigation by a governmental committee of a misleading selling practice by AT&T."

-have you noticed that Samsung hasn't offered any 'official' updates for any of their Galaxy S devices in the US, besides the Nexus S and Galaxy Tab, which both come pre-installed with 2.3 Gingerbread. i understand at&t unfortunately has its part to play in restricting any new OS, but let's not shift the entire blame when Samsung is clearly at fault.

second:

QUOTE: "Another financial disincentive for them is the clear loss of the iPhone market to Verizon in the very near future. Anyone who has the slightest brains will stop buying AT&T iPhone and instead, go to Verizon."

-what technical insight do you have that guarantee’s the success and ability of Verizon's aging CDMA network, to miracuously run the iPhone with little to no issues at start up? that being said, why are you giving positive expectations of Verizon's ability to support millions of bandwidth hungry iPhone customers; especially when the iPhone nearly crippled the country's largest wireless network (at that time), running off of the newer and more efficient GSM technology?

in opposition to your remarks, it would be smart for any potential Verizon/iPhone customer to wait, and let the metaphorical dust settle before blindly jumping into a two-year contract with the only other carrier to officially run the iPhone in the US since its debut. you can bet millions of at&t/iPhone customers had wished they waited at one point or another during the four-year exclusive contract.

finally:

-with the success of the many Galaxy S devices, and Samsung's recent announcement of the many new devices they're releasing for all four major carriers in 2011, what incentive do they have to keep up with an update on this device. BOO Samsung. i was a huge fan. unfortunately, i'm afraid i will be looking to the recently announced Motorola Atrix for my next upgrade, which WILL run on 4G. it will also have a 1ghz, dual core processor, Android 2.2 Froyo build and (my favorite) an nVidia Telsa 2 integrated graphics chip. along with this, it will also sport a 4.3 inch screen, 1gb of RAM, and 16gb of memory. i'm not a Motorola fan, however, they DO keep up with their updates and due to Samsung's recent track record, the Atrix seems like a great option.

(btw, i own a Samsung Captivate, and am aggravated as well. however, with the subtraction of Flash 10.1 support, this is still one of the most beautiful and powerful devices manufactured today)

[ Edited ]
85 of 180 (2,915 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 11, 2011 10:13:46 AM
(0)
Contributor

My wife who is an AT&T customer and Captivate owner put me on to these forums.  I am a Verizon customer an HTC incredible owner.  As you may or may not know, the Droid Incredible was updated to Froyo months ago.  I love all of the extra features and bells and whistles we've gotten after the update.  I love HTC, because they care about their customer. 

I had to sign up for these forums after getting a good laugh at everyone's expense -- whining like a bunch of babies over a software update on a smart phone.  Call the Whaaaaaaambulance!!  I feel so special after reading these forums.  Thanks for making my day..lol Smiley Very Happy 

My wife who is an AT&T customer and Captivate owner put me on to these forums.  I am a Verizon customer an HTC incredible owner.  As you may or may not know, the Droid Incredible was updated to Froyo months ago.  I love all of the extra features and bells and whistles we've gotten after the update.  I love HTC, because they care about their customer. 

I had to sign up for these forums after getting a good laugh at everyone's expense -- whining like a bunch of babies over a software update on a smart phone.  Call the Whaaaaaaambulance!!  I feel so special after reading these forums.  Thanks for making my day..lol Smiley Very Happy 

86 of 180 (2,681 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 11, 2011 10:37:42 AM
(0)
Teacher

Your wife obviously has bad taste then, in more ways than one.

To those of you arguing whose fault it is for the delay, I blame both AT&T and Samsung.  Mainly Samsung, as they have promised deadlines that have not been met over, and over, and over again.  AT&T gets some of the blame for not doing more to work with Samsung and nudge them into getting this taken care of in a timely fashion.

It is really ridiculous that Samsung's flagship phones have not been properly updated in 6 months now when other manufacturers have handled it easily.

Your wife obviously has bad taste then, in more ways than one.

To those of you arguing whose fault it is for the delay, I blame both AT&T and Samsung.  Mainly Samsung, as they have promised deadlines that have not been met over, and over, and over again.  AT&T gets some of the blame for not doing more to work with Samsung and nudge them into getting this taken care of in a timely fashion.

It is really ridiculous that Samsung's flagship phones have not been properly updated in 6 months now when other manufacturers have handled it easily.

87 of 180 (2,644 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 11, 2011 4:53:32 PM
(0)
Contributor

Why would you blame samsung, when samsung already has it working with their hardware and software. At this point, the reason its not been rolled out is because of the wireless carrier.

Samsung is responsible making it work with thier hardware and their software. ATT then pushes out the update on their network. Canada Samsung phones already have the 2.2 update. I can tell you that Canada and the USA are pretty close together, and I would have to assume that my Samsung Captivate cant be all that different from one in Canada. So if a Samsung Captivate can run 2.2 in Canada, what is holding it back in the US????

the only phone that I know of on ATT where the OS is not controlled by ATT, is the IPhone. All other phone's OS are controlled by ATT in terms of when they will be released.

Why would you blame samsung, when samsung already has it working with their hardware and software. At this point, the reason its not been rolled out is because of the wireless carrier.

Samsung is responsible making it work with thier hardware and their software. ATT then pushes out the update on their network. Canada Samsung phones already have the 2.2 update. I can tell you that Canada and the USA are pretty close together, and I would have to assume that my Samsung Captivate cant be all that different from one in Canada. So if a Samsung Captivate can run 2.2 in Canada, what is holding it back in the US????

the only phone that I know of on ATT where the OS is not controlled by ATT, is the IPhone. All other phone's OS are controlled by ATT in terms of when they will be released.

88 of 180 (2,408 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 11, 2011 6:36:42 PM
(0)
Professor

RealiBrad wrote:

People put the blame on Samsung because none of the US Galaxy S variants have Froyo.  To put the blame on the carrier is to blame at least 5 different carriers.

RealiBrad wrote:

People put the blame on Samsung because none of the US Galaxy S variants have Froyo.  To put the blame on the carrier is to blame at least 5 different carriers.

89 of 180 (2,339 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 11, 2011 10:08:09 PM
(0)
Mentor

Some more good news comes to Canadian owners of the Samsung Captivate, as Rogers has finally rolled out Android 2.2 updates to their customers. The Froyo update comes through the Kies software, so if you don't have that package installed already, you may want to jump on that beforehand. Does this mean that those of us in the states on the AT&T Captivate might see our 2.2 launch soon? Well, we won't hold our breath- that's for sure.

moerons = AT&T

Some more good news comes to Canadian owners of the Samsung Captivate, as Rogers has finally rolled out Android 2.2 updates to their customers. The Froyo update comes through the Kies software, so if you don't have that package installed already, you may want to jump on that beforehand. Does this mean that those of us in the states on the AT&T Captivate might see our 2.2 launch soon? Well, we won't hold our breath- that's for sure.

moerons = AT&T

90 of 180 (2,231 Views)