froyo on captivate?

Teacher

froyo on captivate?

when can froyo be used on the captivate and how do u get it?

Message 1 of 180 (66,059 Views)
Tutor

Re: FINALLY I GOT IT!

Thanks for the tip.

http://www.techwatch.co.uk/2010/12/11/gingerbread-incoming-for-samsung-galaxy-s/

Something to look forward to (ROM), even if AT&T never releases it.  Starting to doubt they will ever fix the GPS problem. 

Message 61 of 180 (3,989 Views)
Mentor

So I started my calling campaign today...It was almost laughable..

Talk about clueless!! Sheesh after 3 tranfers and about 30 minutes of holds with plenty of

" I do appologise for your frustration , I will see what we can do to get you an answer "

END RESULT....NOTHING!

responses I got varied from " I don't know" , "I don't think so" , " FroYo ? what is that?"

"Androis 2. what? , " We don't update the phones only the manufacturers know when that will be"

" I think it's already been out now, have You reset your phone to try it " Holly Molly!! :eek

CHEESE and RICE! doesn't anyone over there know what the SAM-HILL is going on! I beginning to think NO!

It's OK because I'm going to call every day until either I get a straight answer or I single handedly Educate every one of there so called customer representatives. What exactly it is WE need, Want, and where promised by signing the 2 yr contract! PERIOD!!

Please don't waste your time or mine by flamming me, Go read the fine print of the sub-contract....all of it!

Message 62 of 180 (3,861 Views)
Contributor

[ Edited ]

Just my 2 cents worth here... I too want the update to 2.2, who doesn't. I do not have any issues with my GPS once I installed the first update that came out sometime ago. I use the GPS for navigation in town and I use it offroad in the mountains and it's very accurate, in fact, I now have shelved all my dedicated GPS devices since getting the Captivate. I do want the upgrade for Flash 10.1 so that I can watch movies on the phone and download content from Samsung's "Media Hub", but it's not a deal breaker if I don't get this update for this very advanced phone. So to get to my point. AT&T is a great company. I worked for them for 19 years and now another communications company spunoff from them and I don't see any issue with AT&T that all companies don't suffer from. Our front-line tech support is not aware of everything either and I don't expect them to be, but do I expect them to research and get me the answer I want. Given that... It's apparent that Samsung and AT&T alike will not give any date nor entertain anyone's questions about Android 2.2 update going forward as they have not since this all began months ago and any information that was given is almostly entirely inaccurate and probably shouldn't have been released anyway. I think at this point I don't blame them as pushing out software to meet a published date is a sure way to receive buggy software. (I'm a software engineer and I know this first-hand). So the moral of this story is patience because at this point that is all we have left. I'm sure our discust over all this waiting is causing nightmares for the Product Manager and they are pressing their development team to "Git-R-Done".

It will come sooner or later...

Message 63 of 180 (3,682 Views)
Tutor

http://phandroid.com/2010/11/30/still-having-gps-issues-with-the-vibrant-and-captivate-samsung-to-th...

If this is the best they can do after 5 months.....its not getting fixed Smiley Sad

Message 64 of 180 (3,547 Views)
Contributor

I bought my Captivate a couple of weesks ago and was told by AT&T sales, both at the AT&T store and by calling customer support, that Froyo (Android 2.2) would be available for my Captivate. They could not tell me when.

I am posting this with the hopes that AT&T actually does pay attention to its customers. I want Froyo and was told I would. And yes I am stuck with a 2 year contract but there are other cell phone companies that I will go to when my contract is up if AT&T doesn't honor its word.

Message 65 of 180 (3,446 Views)
Highlighted
Teacher

Hello, you talk about your 2 year contract.  If they haven't lived up to their end of the contract, why should we have to live up to our end?  All the promotional material says upgradeable to 2.2.  It would seem to me that if you want to, you should be able to get out of the contract.  They are not living up to their end of the bargain.  

Message 66 of 180 (3,265 Views)
Teacher

To get a reply. I had to re submit.

Message 67 of 180 (3,264 Views)
Expert

[ Edited ]

elvisfan wrote:

Hello, you talk about your 2 year contract.  If they haven't lived up to their end of the contract, why should we have to live up to our end?  All the promotional material says upgradeable to 2.2.  It would seem to me that if you want to, you should be able to get out of the contract.  They are not living up to their end of the bargain.  

key phrase noted, where does it say that it will definitely be updated? I doubt legal would let anything through in a official statement that can be used to terminate a contract with no etf - statements by employees in stores, etc are not legally binding

Message 68 of 180 (3,201 Views)
Teacher

I'm no lawyer, but saying upgradable to 2.2, could imply that it would be upgraded.  there are also safety issues here also.  Not being able to Voice dial via Bluetooth is a safety issue.  I bought this phone for my wife.  I couldn't believe that something that has been included for 10 years on regular phones was not on the Android system. 

Message 69 of 180 (3,099 Views)
Expert

elvisfan wrote:

I'm no lawyer, but saying upgradable to 2.2, could imply that it would be upgraded.  there are also safety issues here also.  Not being able to Voice dial via Bluetooth is a safety issue.  I bought this phone for my wife.  I couldn't believe that something that has been included for 10 years on regular phones was not on the Android system. 

Who knows, but for a crass action suite as someone mentioned, I guess anything can be allowed as a reason.

Message 70 of 180 (3,024 Views)
Explorer

[ Edited ]

gpnmoab wrote:

Just my 2 cents worth here... I too want the update to 2.2, who doesn't. I do not have any issues with my GPS once I installed the first update that came out sometime ago. I use the GPS for navigation in town and I use it offroad in the mountains and it's very accurate, in fact, I now have shelved all my dedicated GPS devices since getting the Captivate. I do want the upgrade for Flash 10.1 so that I can watch movies on the phone and download content from Samsung's "Media Hub", but it's not a deal breaker if I don't get this update for this very advanced phone. So to get to my point. AT&T is a great company. I worked for them for 19 years and now another communications company spunoff from them and I don't see any issue with AT&T that all companies don't suffer from. Our front-line tech support is not aware of everything either and I don't expect them to be, but do I expect them to research and get me the answer I want. Given that... It's apparent that Samsung and AT&T alike will not give any date nor entertain anyone's questions about Android 2.2 update going forward as they have not since this all began months ago and any information that was given is almostly entirely inaccurate and probably shouldn't have been released anyway. I think at this point I don't blame them as pushing out software to meet a published date is a sure way to receive buggy software. (I'm a software engineer and I know this first-hand). So the moral of this story is patience because at this point that is all we have left. I'm sure our discust over all this waiting is causing nightmares for the Product Manager and they are pressing their development team to "Git-R-Done".

It will come sooner or later...

I guess a safe assumption would be that it's going to be "later" - as in MUCH later....   Smiley Tongue

Message 71 of 180 (5,738 Views)
Teacher

I really did finally get Froyo!

The 2.3b6 cognition ROM, anyway. There are a couple of videos on Youtube that show you how, although it was actually much more difficult than it looks in the video for a noob like myself. I had been waiting since July for this and finally got fed up and no longer believed any story that says Froyo is coming next month.

Verdict - it works great. I never had a GPS problem, and still don't. There are a few nice features, but I can't figure out how to do handsfree bluetooth voicedial, which is supposedly supported in 2.2, and the main reason I updated. Well, that and the stupid Battery Fully Charged popup that drove me crazy and that _was_ removed so overall the update was worth it.

Message 72 of 180 (5,721 Views)
Mentor

Re: I really did finally get Froyo!

[ Edited ]

Well to make matters worse...LOL

Google posts Android 2.3 source code
updated 04:35 pm EST, Fri December 17, 2010 Android 2.3 source code goes up for developers

As promised with the launch of the Nexus S, Google's Open Source Project on Friday posted the source code for Android 2.3. The move both lets developers modify the base OS but also gives the go-ahead to companies making devices without the Google blessing needed for Android Market or certain official apps. All of the underlying features, including the built-in VoIP support, are the same as for more closed builds.

As with usual open-source projects, users can modify the code as much as they like or in some cases roll changes into the main release, although Google maintains full control. The download has been popular enough that Google has been asking developers to wait either until later today or later in the week.

Well here we wait... for FroYo 2.2 Update! AT&T I don't want to root my phone and void the warranty like so many others here.
I doubt now from talking to the reps, that if they don't release it by years end I will break the contract and they can NOT charge me an ETF [Per Guidelines:  Keep it Relevant and Appropriate]. They are bound by the representations made when I purchased the phone. I have Time date and individuals name from the Store , I contacted AT&T billing and described the situation and the promises made...I got a $40 loyal customer credit for this month for them not living up to there agreement. I purchased this phone for a specific reason and they acknowledge that.

My advice to all the users on here that want results CALL,  remember "the squeeky wheel gets the oil"
{Please keep it courteous}...You don't have to pay an ETF if you know what to tell them.[Per Guidelines:  Keep it Relevant and Appropriate]. ..so I believe they will roll it out but they can't commit to a date. In my case they have until. Jan to keep there end of the bargan I made so Good LUCK and don't let folks scare you into thinking you have no recourse if they leave you hanging. IMO
Message 73 of 180 (5,599 Views)
Tutor

[ Edited ]

Had a feeling I might be going straight to gingerbread.  This confirms it.  AT&T can take their crapware and shove it!

Message 74 of 180 (4,957 Views)
Contributor

Well,looks like im getting on the phone and using my superior language skills to get the answer..

Message 75 of 180 (4,012 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.