froyo on captivate?

Teacher

froyo on captivate?

when can froyo be used on the captivate and how do u get it?

Message 1 of 180 (66,060 Views)
Guru

Re: froyo on captivate?

Samsung will have to release the update to AT&T, then AT&T will have to make all their bloatware work with Froyo...i'd say it will be December or January before the Captivate gets the official update to 2.2. Some would say thats being optimistic.

skins30 wrote:

when can froyo be used on the captivate and how do u get it?

Message 2 of 180 (63,909 Views)
Teacher

[ Edited ]

Once Samsung releases froyo for the Galaxy S, scheduled for August, it will probably take XDA developers a week to have a good ROM for the Captivate based on it. You won't have to wait for AT&T to add their "extras", but you would have to learn how to root a phone and load a rom if you didn't want to wait for the official AT&T release.

Message 3 of 180 (62,887 Views)
Scholar

I don't understand why we have to get all of att non-sense.  why can't we just get a clean OS.  ATT reminds me of dell and hp and compaq.  they throw a bunch of crap on there that doesn't do anything and causes more problem and half the time they are never used.

Ol well nothing you can really do about it unless you root the phone.  Yes froyo will be out by september if samsung is up to date.

Message 4 of 180 (62,815 Views)
Expert

mystery45 wrote:

I don't understand why we have to get all of att non-sense.  why can't we just get a clean OS.  ATT reminds me of dell and hp and compaq.  they throw a bunch of crap on there that doesn't do anything and causes more problem and half the time they are never used.

Ol well nothing you can really do about it unless you root the phone.  Yes froyo will be out by september if samsung is up to date.

all providers put their own apps on the phone and modify the OS to fit their requirements.

you are 100 percent correct, on a stock phone you cannot do anything about it, their playing field, their rules. As far as out in september, will not believe the captivate will even get 2.2 until it actually starting spinning down to the phone, sorry but ATT has a pretty poor track record of getting the latest version of the OS to their phones. Only exceptio here is the Iphone since Apple has control on that.

Message 5 of 180 (62,758 Views)
Contributor

lol bloatware is installed for one reason - to make ATT more money!

I'm waiting for Cyanogen's 6.1 mod and will be installing that as soon as it's released.

Message 6 of 180 (58,803 Views)
Tutor

So, did you install the cyanogen mod yet? If so, does it work well?

Message 7 of 180 (51,776 Views)
Expert

brnz wrote:

lol bloatware is installed for one reason - to make ATT more money!

I'm waiting for Cyanogen's 6.1 mod and will be installing that as soon as it's released.

gee strange outlook for a for profit business it seems, to make money....

Message 8 of 180 (51,664 Views)
Scholar

http://www.bgr.com/2010/11/04/samsung-uk-android-2-2-starts-rolling-out-today-will-hit-all-handsets-...

Not sure about AT&T's plans but this is a step in the right direction.

Message 9 of 180 (50,609 Views)
Contributor

Well I hope something is done about KIOS, cause anytime I try to use it with my phone on my PC it says it is not available for my region.  Funny Canada is listed but not the United States.  How are we to up upgrade if they dont service the U.S.

Message 10 of 180 (49,215 Views)

Kies is not supported for the Captivate in the US and never has been, although it has worked in the past.  Kies Mini, on the other hand, is available from the Captivate's downloads page and works for updates.  I don't know whether the 2.2 update will be available through Kies Mini, but I would hope so.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.
Message 11 of 180 (11,187 Views)
Scholar

Verizon delivered the 2.2 update to the Droid via OTA download. I don't see any reason why AT&T wouldn't do it that way.

Message 12 of 180 (11,132 Views)
Scholar

Do you think AT&T is in *any* hurry to upgrade phones?  WHY would they be?  Most users have NO CLUE what version of Android they're running.  Either they like the phone enough to buy it or they buy something else.  I think it's mostly the technophiles who would buy a phone based on features that MIGHT come later.

My advice is to choose a phone based on what it does NOW.  IF it gets improved, even better.  But at least you won't be disappointed when upgrade plans never materialize.

Message 13 of 180 (11,078 Views)
Teacher

[ Edited ]

bmgoodman wrote:

Do you think AT&T is in *any* hurry to upgrade phones?  WHY would they be?  Most users have NO CLUE what version of Android they're running.  Either they like the phone enough to buy it or they buy something else.  I think it's mostly the technophiles who would buy a phone based on features that MIGHT come later.

My advice is to choose a phone based on what it does NOW.  IF it gets improved, even better.  But at least you won't be disappointed when upgrade plans never materialize.

How about to fix the GPS issues..

GPS hasn't worked on this phone properly since day one.

Also to make exchange more reliable.

i've had many instances where the email app crashes then says "specified account no longer exists", need to remove the account, reboot then add it back in. 

the phone has great potential which is why i've been hanging in for an update to fix some obvious issues.

Message 14 of 180 (10,806 Views)
Highlighted
Teacher

mikenri wrote:

bmgoodman wrote:

How about to fix the GPS issues..

GPS hasn't worked on this phone properly since day one.

Also to make exchange more reliable.

i've had many instances where the email app crashes then says "specified account no longer exists", need to remove the account, reboot then add it back in. 

the phone has great potential which is why i've been hanging in for an update to fix some obvious issues.

I am intrigued on why soo many people have GPS errors and others don't.  I bought my Captivate a month ago and it has really worked perfect for me, except for the daily Force Close of course.  My GPS works fast, indoors takes about 20 seconds to lock on but outside less than 10.  I would imagine if everyone runs the updates that everyone should have the same exact software, wouldn't they?

Also my exchange has never had an issue, besides Force closing, which I understand is a problem with file system.

Message 15 of 180 (10,241 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.