Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Jul 15, 2010
4:01:17 PM
View profile
froyo on captivate?

when can froyo be used on the captivate and how do u get it?

froyo on captivate?

179 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(179)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 15, 2010 8:15:32 PM
(0)
Guru

Samsung will have to release the update to AT&T, then AT&T will have to make all their bloatware work with Froyo...i'd say it will be December or January before the Captivate gets the official update to 2.2. Some would say thats being optimistic.

skins30 wrote:

Samsung will have to release the update to AT&T, then AT&T will have to make all their bloatware work with Froyo...i'd say it will be December or January before the Captivate gets the official update to 2.2. Some would say thats being optimistic.

skins30 wrote:

Re: froyo on captivate?

2 of 180 (63,513 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 31, 2010 12:36:19 PM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by phoneturf on Jul 31, 2010 at 12:38:34 PM

Once Samsung releases froyo for the Galaxy S, scheduled for August, it will probably take XDA developers a week to have a good ROM for the Captivate based on it. You won't have to wait for AT&T to add their "extras", but you would have to learn how to root a phone and load a rom if you didn't want to wait for the official AT&T release.

Once Samsung releases froyo for the Galaxy S, scheduled for August, it will probably take XDA developers a week to have a good ROM for the Captivate based on it. You won't have to wait for AT&T to add their "extras", but you would have to learn how to root a phone and load a rom if you didn't want to wait for the official AT&T release.

[ Edited ]
3 of 180 (62,491 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 31, 2010 7:25:43 PM
(0)
Scholar

I don't understand why we have to get all of att non-sense.  why can't we just get a clean OS.  ATT reminds me of dell and hp and compaq.  they throw a bunch of crap on there that doesn't do anything and causes more problem and half the time they are never used.

Ol well nothing you can really do about it unless you root the phone.  Yes froyo will be out by september if samsung is up to date.

I don't understand why we have to get all of att non-sense.  why can't we just get a clean OS.  ATT reminds me of dell and hp and compaq.  they throw a bunch of crap on there that doesn't do anything and causes more problem and half the time they are never used.

Ol well nothing you can really do about it unless you root the phone.  Yes froyo will be out by september if samsung is up to date.

4 of 180 (62,419 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 1, 2010 4:05:14 AM
(0)
Expert

mystery45 wrote:

all providers put their own apps on the phone and modify the OS to fit their requirements.

you are 100 percent correct, on a stock phone you cannot do anything about it, their playing field, their rules. As far as out in september, will not believe the captivate will even get 2.2 until it actually starting spinning down to the phone, sorry but ATT has a pretty poor track record of getting the latest version of the OS to their phones. Only exceptio here is the Iphone since Apple has control on that.

mystery45 wrote:

all providers put their own apps on the phone and modify the OS to fit their requirements.

you are 100 percent correct, on a stock phone you cannot do anything about it, their playing field, their rules. As far as out in september, will not believe the captivate will even get 2.2 until it actually starting spinning down to the phone, sorry but ATT has a pretty poor track record of getting the latest version of the OS to their phones. Only exceptio here is the Iphone since Apple has control on that.

5 of 180 (62,362 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 16, 2010 12:03:18 PM
(0)
Contributor

lol bloatware is installed for one reason - to make ATT more money!

I'm waiting for Cyanogen's 6.1 mod and will be installing that as soon as it's released.

I'm waiting for Cyanogen's 6.1 mod and will be installing that as soon as it's released.

6 of 180 (58,407 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 2, 2010 6:07:04 AM
(0)
Tutor

So, did you install the cyanogen mod yet? If so, does it work well?

So, did you install the cyanogen mod yet? If so, does it work well?

7 of 180 (51,380 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 2, 2010 9:43:22 AM
(0)
Expert

brnz wrote:

gee strange outlook for a for profit business it seems, to make money....

brnz wrote:

gee strange outlook for a for profit business it seems, to make money....

8 of 180 (51,268 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 4, 2010 12:26:42 PM
(0)
Scholar

http://www.bgr.com/2010/11/04/samsung-uk-android-2-2-starts-rolling-out-today-will-hit-all-handsets-...

Not sure about AT&T's plans but this is a step in the right direction.

9 of 180 (50,213 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 7, 2010 8:29:46 PM
(0)
Contributor

Well I hope something is done about KIOS, cause anytime I try to use it with my phone on my PC it says it is not available for my region.  Funny Canada is listed but not the United States.  How are we to up upgrade if they dont service the U.S.

Well I hope something is done about KIOS, cause anytime I try to use it with my phone on my PC it says it is not available for my region.  Funny Canada is listed but not the United States.  How are we to up upgrade if they dont service the U.S.

10 of 180 (48,819 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 7, 2010 8:46:35 PM
(0)
Guru

Kies is not supported for the Captivate in the US and never has been, although it has worked in the past.  Kies Mini, on the other hand, is available from the Captivate's downloads page and works for updates.  I don't know whether the 2.2 update will be available through Kies Mini, but I would hope so.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.

Kies is not supported for the Captivate in the US and never has been, although it has worked in the past.  Kies Mini, on the other hand, is available from the Captivate's downloads page and works for updates.  I don't know whether the 2.2 update will be available through Kies Mini, but I would hope so.

11 of 180 (10,791 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 8, 2010 5:12:16 AM
(0)
Scholar

Verizon delivered the 2.2 update to the Droid via OTA download. I don't see any reason why AT&T wouldn't do it that way.

Verizon delivered the 2.2 update to the Droid via OTA download. I don't see any reason why AT&T wouldn't do it that way.

12 of 180 (10,736 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 8, 2010 7:26:54 AM
(0)
Scholar

Do you think AT&T is in *any* hurry to upgrade phones?  WHY would they be?  Most users have NO CLUE what version of Android they're running.  Either they like the phone enough to buy it or they buy something else.  I think it's mostly the technophiles who would buy a phone based on features that MIGHT come later.

My advice is to choose a phone based on what it does NOW.  IF it gets improved, even better.  But at least you won't be disappointed when upgrade plans never materialize.

Do you think AT&T is in *any* hurry to upgrade phones?  WHY would they be?  Most users have NO CLUE what version of Android they're running.  Either they like the phone enough to buy it or they buy something else.  I think it's mostly the technophiles who would buy a phone based on features that MIGHT come later.

My advice is to choose a phone based on what it does NOW.  IF it gets improved, even better.  But at least you won't be disappointed when upgrade plans never materialize.

13 of 180 (10,682 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 8, 2010 6:44:10 PM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by mikenri on Nov 8, 2010 at 6:53:10 PM

bmgoodman wrote:

How about to fix the GPS issues..

GPS hasn't worked on this phone properly since day one.

Also to make exchange more reliable.

i've had many instances where the email app crashes then says "specified account no longer exists", need to remove the account, reboot then add it back in. 

the phone has great potential which is why i've been hanging in for an update to fix some obvious issues.

bmgoodman wrote:

i've had many instances where the email app crashes then says "specified account no longer exists", need to remove the account, reboot then add it back in. 

the phone has great potential which is why i've been hanging in for an update to fix some obvious issues.

[ Edited ]
14 of 180 (10,410 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 10, 2010 1:58:48 PM
(0)
Teacher

mikenri wrote:

bmgoodman wrote:

I am intrigued on why soo many people have GPS errors and others don't.  I bought my Captivate a month ago and it has really worked perfect for me, except for the daily Force Close of course.  My GPS works fast, indoors takes about 20 seconds to lock on but outside less than 10.  I would imagine if everyone runs the updates that everyone should have the same exact software, wouldn't they?

Also my exchange has never had an issue, besides Force closing, which I understand is a problem with file system.

mikenri wrote:

bmgoodman wrote:

I am intrigued on why soo many people have GPS errors and others don't.  I bought my Captivate a month ago and it has really worked perfect for me, except for the daily Force Close of course.  My GPS works fast, indoors takes about 20 seconds to lock on but outside less than 10.  I would imagine if everyone runs the updates that everyone should have the same exact software, wouldn't they?

Also my exchange has never had an issue, besides Force closing, which I understand is a problem with file system.

15 of 180 (9,845 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 11, 2010 5:32:57 AM
(0)
Scholar

dzevadb wrote:

mikenri wrote:

bmgoodman wrote:

The problem causing most complaints is keeping an accurate lock while using it in motion. Many of the setting fixes I read in other forums are able to speed the lock time but I haven't read anything fixing the lock while in motion problems. Mine won't lock indoors where my Droid will and is slower to get a lock outside, but it does lock. Once it locks, it doesn't track well, not for walking and less for driving. If I just stand still it works Smiley Happy Seriously, for LBS applications it is adequate but not much else. I have a new phone (week old).

dzevadb wrote:

mikenri wrote:

bmgoodman wrote:

The problem causing most complaints is keeping an accurate lock while using it in motion. Many of the setting fixes I read in other forums are able to speed the lock time but I haven't read anything fixing the lock while in motion problems. Mine won't lock indoors where my Droid will and is slower to get a lock outside, but it does lock. Once it locks, it doesn't track well, not for walking and less for driving. If I just stand still it works Smiley Happy Seriously, for LBS applications it is adequate but not much else. I have a new phone (week old).

16 of 180 (9,646 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 11, 2010 3:02:22 PM
(0)
Tutor

I read somwhere on CNET that AT&T is coming out with the froyo update (OTA) by Nov End.

I checked with "@GalaxySsupport" on twitter and they say that "2.2 will be out by the end of the year.". So lets hope for the best.

I read somwhere on CNET that AT&T is coming out with the froyo update (OTA) by Nov End.

I checked with "@GalaxySsupport" on twitter and they say that "2.2 will be out by the end of the year.". So lets hope for the best.

17 of 180 (9,420 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 12, 2010 10:37:45 AM
(0)
Scholar

Funny you should mention the GPS issue.  I was just speaking with an AT&T Wireless store manager yesterday and she said she's unaware of *any* GPS issues with the Captivate! Robot surprised  She said no complaints from customers nor any notes from corporate!

So apparently these complaints are simply imagined issues! Smiley Wink

In any event, you might say that AT&T is "rushing" a fix for the GPS issue, except for one thing:  it's STILL not out months after the phone was released.  So, define "rush" in this context?

Funny you should mention the GPS issue.  I was just speaking with an AT&T Wireless store manager yesterday and she said she's unaware of *any* GPS issues with the Captivate! Robot surprised  She said no complaints from customers nor any notes from corporate!

So apparently these complaints are simply imagined issues! Smiley Wink

In any event, you might say that AT&T is "rushing" a fix for the GPS issue, except for one thing:  it's STILL not out months after the phone was released.  So, define "rush" in this context?

18 of 180 (9,198 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 12, 2010 2:46:26 PM
(0)
Mentor

I can say this...i usually by Apple iphones but i decided to step on over the Android and give it a shot... This will more then likely be the last Android phone I buy.  Hey you live and learn right, stick to whats tried and true the iphone.  Now Apple may have had some issues with the reception but that seems to be fixed just by putting a case around the phone.  The operating system on the iphone is tested and true and outstanding when it comes to performance..not to mention the GPS actually works and is stable.  Nice try Android but...I think most people are trying something new which would explain he booming sales for Android, but the iphone is still the leader.

I can say this...i usually by Apple iphones but i decided to step on over the Android and give it a shot... This will more then likely be the last Android phone I buy.  Hey you live and learn right, stick to whats tried and true the iphone.  Now Apple may have had some issues with the reception but that seems to be fixed just by putting a case around the phone.  The operating system on the iphone is tested and true and outstanding when it comes to performance..not to mention the GPS actually works and is stable.  Nice try Android but...I think most people are trying something new which would explain he booming sales for Android, but the iphone is still the leader.

19 of 180 (9,101 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 12, 2010 9:26:44 PM
(0)
Scholar

stewart2568 wrote:

It isn't the OS, it is the junk hardware. One reason the WM was so bad for me, there wasn't a decent phone; the Fuze was just plain horrible. I have a Droid on Verizon and have no problems, excellent phone. The screen is bright and readable even outside, there is a notification LED, battery life if better than the Captivate, sound quality is very good and volume loud without distortion. GPS locks outside in about 5 seconds and works inside near windows. No force close issues or lagging and Verizon, yes shocking to me, has been reasonably quick to issue updates and OS upgrades.

I decided to try AT&T again as NYC service has been improving and it is a big savings to move my one line back to my AT&T family plan. I also miss having data and voice simultaneously like when using the phone for navigation. As the flagship AT&T phone with screen that looked great I really wanted to like the Captivate. After a couple days of using it, decided it wasn't worth the effort. It's in the box waiting for a trip to the mall tomorrow and I'll use the money to get a Motorola Finiti headset.

AT&T just has a poor selection of Android phones and doesn't seem to be getting anything good this year. Noi excuse for the GPS not working after the phone has been out four or five months.

stewart2568 wrote:

It isn't the OS, it is the junk hardware. One reason the WM was so bad for me, there wasn't a decent phone; the Fuze was just plain horrible. I have a Droid on Verizon and have no problems, excellent phone. The screen is bright and readable even outside, there is a notification LED, battery life if better than the Captivate, sound quality is very good and volume loud without distortion. GPS locks outside in about 5 seconds and works inside near windows. No force close issues or lagging and Verizon, yes shocking to me, has been reasonably quick to issue updates and OS upgrades.

I decided to try AT&T again as NYC service has been improving and it is a big savings to move my one line back to my AT&T family plan. I also miss having data and voice simultaneously like when using the phone for navigation. As the flagship AT&T phone with screen that looked great I really wanted to like the Captivate. After a couple days of using it, decided it wasn't worth the effort. It's in the box waiting for a trip to the mall tomorrow and I'll use the money to get a Motorola Finiti headset.

AT&T just has a poor selection of Android phones and doesn't seem to be getting anything good this year. Noi excuse for the GPS not working after the phone has been out four or five months.

20 of 180 (9,007 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 27, 2010 9:10:04 PM
(0)
Teacher

Without Kies the Captivate is a crippled device, a brick you can talk into.  Captivate was reviewed by various product reviewers who clearly state the deviced had no issues syncing with Outlook and other software commonly used by business users, which was very influencial in my purchasing decision.  

Additionally, Samsung Tech Support initially provided the link to AT&T customers to make their devices more business friendly.  On November 3, 2010 an update was sent to Kies to disable it.  It is very cumbersome to have to export my client and vendor contact information to a .csv file to upload to Gmail every time I meet a new person. Older copies are still available on the web for download which work fine as long as you do not allow Kies to self-update. 

To replace Kies, I've found it can take upto 11 third party apps. One to just sync your contacts costs $40 and and exchange/push email services.  It would be more efficient to go back to a Motorola Razr and carry a back pack with a laptop, GPS, MP3 player, PDA, and camera everywhere you go.

Samsung Tech Support and AT&T have told me multiple times that 2.2 will be released, unfortunately the promised date from Samsung has come and gone and AT&T won't comment on a date.  One call to Samsung Tech Support Level 3 (whatever that means) even promised a fully functioning Kies with 2.2.  If these promises are not release by the end of the year, I will seek out a fully functioning business device from another carrier not made by Samsung.  Thankfully, I still have an email promising me the ability to cancel my servies with AT&T without penalty.

Without Kies the Captivate is a crippled device, a brick you can talk into.  Captivate was reviewed by various product reviewers who clearly state the deviced had no issues syncing with Outlook and other software commonly used by business users, which was very influencial in my purchasing decision.  

Additionally, Samsung Tech Support initially provided the link to AT&T customers to make their devices more business friendly.  On November 3, 2010 an update was sent to Kies to disable it.  It is very cumbersome to have to export my client and vendor contact information to a .csv file to upload to Gmail every time I meet a new person. Older copies are still available on the web for download which work fine as long as you do not allow Kies to self-update. 

To replace Kies, I've found it can take upto 11 third party apps. One to just sync your contacts costs $40 and and exchange/push email services.  It would be more efficient to go back to a Motorola Razr and carry a back pack with a laptop, GPS, MP3 player, PDA, and camera everywhere you go.

Samsung Tech Support and AT&T have told me multiple times that 2.2 will be released, unfortunately the promised date from Samsung has come and gone and AT&T won't comment on a date.  One call to Samsung Tech Support Level 3 (whatever that means) even promised a fully functioning Kies with 2.2.  If these promises are not release by the end of the year, I will seek out a fully functioning business device from another carrier not made by Samsung.  Thankfully, I still have an email promising me the ability to cancel my servies with AT&T without penalty.

21 of 180 (6,655 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 30, 2010 11:19:02 AM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by jtkerry on Nov 30, 2010 at 11:43:51 AM

I called AT&T and then Samsung a couple of days ago.  AT&T said they don't update the devices - that this is the manufacturer responsibility.  So, I called Samsung and got someone on the other side of the world.  He thought my question was unanswerable by the way he danced around it.  The { Please keep it courteous }  said they don't always update their devices.

Europe and Canada have received their upgrade to 2.2.  I can only assume that AT&T is holding up the upgrade waiting to hear the FCC ruling on "Net Neutrality".  If the decision goes in favor of the the provider instead of the consumer, AT&T will be able to charge not just for Internet service, but for the type of content we view from the Internet.  With Froyo (Android 2.2) having Flash services as well as tethering, using the device could get quite expensive.   If the ruling goes against the providers, well I think AT&T has found a way to limit our access to content that would slow the performance of their network - the upgrade wouldn't be in AT&T's best interest.  In any event don't count on AT&T to follow through with this.

In Europe and Canada, from all accounts, the Captivate device performs just fine with Froyo.  It's a wait and see at this point.  The upgrade was a major selling point.  If it doesn't happen, well I'll have to figure out where I'll want to go with that problem when it happens.  AT&T will have to fess up sooner or later.

JT Kerry

St. Louis, MO

I called AT&T and then Samsung a couple of days ago.  AT&T said they don't update the devices - that this is the manufacturer responsibility.  So, I called Samsung and got someone on the other side of the world.  He thought my question was unanswerable by the way he danced around it.  The { Please keep it courteous }  said they don't always update their devices.

Europe and Canada have received their upgrade to 2.2.  I can only assume that AT&T is holding up the upgrade waiting to hear the FCC ruling on "Net Neutrality".  If the decision goes in favor of the the provider instead of the consumer, AT&T will be able to charge not just for Internet service, but for the type of content we view from the Internet.  With Froyo (Android 2.2) having Flash services as well as tethering, using the device could get quite expensive.   If the ruling goes against the providers, well I think AT&T has found a way to limit our access to content that would slow the performance of their network - the upgrade wouldn't be in AT&T's best interest.  In any event don't count on AT&T to follow through with this.

In Europe and Canada, from all accounts, the Captivate device performs just fine with Froyo.  It's a wait and see at this point.  The upgrade was a major selling point.  If it doesn't happen, well I'll have to figure out where I'll want to go with that problem when it happens.  AT&T will have to fess up sooner or later.

JT Kerry

St. Louis, MO

[ Edited ]
22 of 180 (5,957 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 30, 2010 11:53:04 AM
(0)
Scholar

Anyone notice that Samsung now has software upgrade instuctions for the Captivate on the site?  As of 11/29/2010.

Anyone notice that Samsung now has software upgrade instuctions for the Captivate on the site?  As of 11/29/2010.

Software update instuctions on Samsungs site.

23 of 180 (5,929 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 30, 2010 12:09:38 PM
(0)
Guru

I am running Froyo JI6 on my captivate right now and everything working fine accept for GPS and every once in a while it does the sleep of death but other than that I have had no issues whatsoever I have not had the courage/desire to install one of the custom roms so I cannot speak for them.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.

I am running Froyo JI6 on my captivate right now and everything working fine accept for GPS and every once in a while it does the sleep of death but other than that I have had no issues whatsoever I have not had the courage/desire to install one of the custom roms so I cannot speak for them.

Re: Software update instuctions on Samsungs site.

24 of 180 (5,916 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 30, 2010 1:57:17 PM
(0)
Explorer
Do you have a link to that?

25 of 180 (5,828 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 30, 2010 2:08:07 PM
(0)
Explorer
Scratch that...I found it...not anything that couldn't be figured out...then again...could be an interesting sign...anyone test kies?
Scratch that...I found it...not anything that couldn't be figured out...then again...could be an interesting sign...anyone test kies?

26 of 180 (5,803 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 30, 2010 2:28:57 PM
(0)
Scholar

guitarpunk8403 wrote:

http://www.samsung.com/us/support/owners/product/SGH-I897ZKAATT

guitarpunk8403 wrote:

http://www.samsung.com/us/support/owners/product/SGH-I897ZKAATT

27 of 180 (5,786 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 30, 2010 2:36:51 PM
(0)
Tutor
I still cant get kies to read my phone. Done everything i can think of
I still cant get kies to read my phone. Done everything i can think of

28 of 180 (5,774 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 30, 2010 2:53:24 PM
(0)
Guru

guitarpunk8403 wrote:

Go to XDA-developers.com (sp) and you can download a fair warning to appease the mods flashing custom/non att roms onto your phone may void the warranty.

guitarpunk8403 wrote:

Go to XDA-developers.com (sp) and you can download a fair warning to appease the mods flashing custom/non att roms onto your phone may void the warranty.

29 of 180 (5,752 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 1, 2010 3:40:58 PM
(0)
Contributor

Sweet! T-Mobile just released Froyo for their Galaxy S.... Canada gets their update mid December. Wahoo!! Go AT&T

Sweet! T-Mobile just released Froyo for their Galaxy S.... Canada gets their update mid December. Wahoo!! Go AT&T

30 of 180 (5,184 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments