Posted Jan 14, 2012
12:24:23 PM
extra ipad data plan???

I have an iphone4 w/data plan through att.  If I buy an ipad, do I need an additional data plan, or can I get around it somehow.  My son who has a data plan with his cell, bought an ipad, and said you don't need an addional data plan. 

So I want to know for sure.

Thanks

I have an iphone4 w/data plan through att.  If I buy an ipad, do I need an additional data plan, or can I get around it somehow.  My son who has a data plan with his cell, bought an ipad, and said you don't need an addional data plan. 

So I want to know for sure.

Thanks

extra ipad data plan???

4 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Cancel
Submit
View all replies
(4)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 18, 2012 6:33:47 AM
(0)
Professor

If you get a 3G iPad, and want to use it on 3G, you need a data plan. You cannot use your iPhone plan with the iPad. If you only use wifi, or get a wifi only iPad, no data plan is needed.

If you get a 3G iPad, and want to use it on 3G, you need a data plan. You cannot use your iPhone plan with the iPad. If you only use wifi, or get a wifi only iPad, no data plan is needed.

Re: extra ipad data plan???

2 of 5 (2,617 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 19, 2012 4:11:18 AM
(0)
Teacher
You can modify the iPhone security policy and install quite a few tools to allow you to tether your iPad to your iPhone. This can be accomplished over Bluetooth or 802.11n, dynamic switched adhoc and infrastructure options are also available.

There is no legal reprocessing, and since both the iPhone and the iPad both run the same operating system and you would only be using one device at a time on the data account that you pay for to access the public IP on an iOS platform....you aren't legally, ethically or morally doing anything wrong.

Now, AT&T will try to tell you that they don't allow tethering without a plan and a fee. They can't legally force you to pay them because you want to network your devices together. You own them, and bits none of their business how you choose to network your electronics. Apple provides you the ability to AirPlay content from your iPad or iPhone to your apple TV. That is a tether, and AT&T has no business trying to charge you a fee for doing so.

Pairing a Bluetooth headset to your phone and streaming pandora over their network to your iPhone which then sends that content from one MAC address..the phone....to another MAC address...the headset, is a tether. You have a right to connect your personal electronics together and use them the way they were intended to be used....without AT&T chargin you a fee for doing so.

It is not moral or ethical for AT&T to charge you a fee for connecting devices you own through a personal area network, but they will tell you that you 'can't' do that. They won't explain to you why you can't or why paying them money makes it 'ok' to do it....other than 'because that's out policy'.

Keep im mind that your covenant with AT&T begins and ends with data access from the network, to your device. That is all. They provide you service to your handset, you pay them money for the service to the handset. What happens beyond that registered node is absolutely none of their business as long as the content is used in within the scope of your covenan and at the agreed upon volume of data per cyclet...which is a mobile device running iOS to consume digital media over RF based network.

You can screw this up I'm a number of ways: tethering to a PC wether portable or desktop, tethering to an Xbox or gaming console, using your device as a router in infrastructure mode for the purpose and intent of distrubution AT&T access to multiple devices, allowing ANYONE other than yourself use any single device, even if it is an iPad that doesn't belong to you, to access your iPhone to use as a proxy for access, which isn't illegal, but it's not moral or ethical.

The tools you will want to do research on are:

MyWi, iTether, iPhone modem, ipshare, and PDANet.

Some of these tools require you to buy them. You can get them cracked for free but that doesnt allow you to stay on the fair, moral and ethical high ground you have worked so hard to maintain.

Pay for your software, use the services you pay for within the scope of the covenant you agreed to, don't let anyone try to convince you to hand over any more than you already pay unless they offer added value to what you already have and are paying for and are using within the scope of your agreement: having one iOS device on a 3G network to consume however much data that you both agreed to and at the price you both agreed to.

Those are your rights, and the right s of AT&T as a corporate entity when defining fair and acceptable use of electronic and wire/wireless packet based RF voice and digital communications services in a Court of law in this country, as currently mandated by, legislated and regulated by the FCC.
You can modify the iPhone security policy and install quite a few tools to allow you to tether your iPad to your iPhone. This can be accomplished over Bluetooth or 802.11n, dynamic switched adhoc and infrastructure options are also available.

There is no legal reprocessing, and since both the iPhone and the iPad both run the same operating system and you would only be using one device at a time on the data account that you pay for to access the public IP on an iOS platform....you aren't legally, ethically or morally doing anything wrong.

Now, AT&T will try to tell you that they don't allow tethering without a plan and a fee. They can't legally force you to pay them because you want to network your devices together. You own them, and bits none of their business how you choose to network your electronics. Apple provides you the ability to AirPlay content from your iPad or iPhone to your apple TV. That is a tether, and AT&T has no business trying to charge you a fee for doing so.

Pairing a Bluetooth headset to your phone and streaming pandora over their network to your iPhone which then sends that content from one MAC address..the phone....to another MAC address...the headset, is a tether. You have a right to connect your personal electronics together and use them the way they were intended to be used....without AT&T chargin you a fee for doing so.

It is not moral or ethical for AT&T to charge you a fee for connecting devices you own through a personal area network, but they will tell you that you 'can't' do that. They won't explain to you why you can't or why paying them money makes it 'ok' to do it....other than 'because that's out policy'.

Keep im mind that your covenant with AT&T begins and ends with data access from the network, to your device. That is all. They provide you service to your handset, you pay them money for the service to the handset. What happens beyond that registered node is absolutely none of their business as long as the content is used in within the scope of your covenan and at the agreed upon volume of data per cyclet...which is a mobile device running iOS to consume digital media over RF based network.

You can screw this up I'm a number of ways: tethering to a PC wether portable or desktop, tethering to an Xbox or gaming console, using your device as a router in infrastructure mode for the purpose and intent of distrubution AT&T access to multiple devices, allowing ANYONE other than yourself use any single device, even if it is an iPad that doesn't belong to you, to access your iPhone to use as a proxy for access, which isn't illegal, but it's not moral or ethical.

The tools you will want to do research on are:

MyWi, iTether, iPhone modem, ipshare, and PDANet.

Some of these tools require you to buy them. You can get them cracked for free but that doesnt allow you to stay on the fair, moral and ethical high ground you have worked so hard to maintain.

Pay for your software, use the services you pay for within the scope of the covenant you agreed to, don't let anyone try to convince you to hand over any more than you already pay unless they offer added value to what you already have and are paying for and are using within the scope of your agreement: having one iOS device on a 3G network to consume however much data that you both agreed to and at the price you both agreed to.

Those are your rights, and the right s of AT&T as a corporate entity when defining fair and acceptable use of electronic and wire/wireless packet based RF voice and digital communications services in a Court of law in this country, as currently mandated by, legislated and regulated by the FCC.

3 of 5 (2,603 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 20, 2012 8:16:00 PM
(0)

That's fine, but what if AT&T cancels your data plan?

I think I have used it twice since May of last year. Each time it didn't work right.

Second time, I was double-billed.

When I called to straighten this out, the man yelled at me and was abusive.

Then, he canceled my account.

So how do I get data when I need it?

That's fine, but what if AT&T cancels your data plan?

I think I have used it twice since May of last year. Each time it didn't work right.

Second time, I was double-billed.

When I called to straighten this out, the man yelled at me and was abusive.

Then, he canceled my account.

So how do I get data when I need it?

4 of 5 (2,414 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 23, 2012 6:39:52 PM
(0)
Guru

I think the word you're looking for is legal recourse, and AT&T can and will either switch you to the tethering plan or terminate your service as they see fit, especially if you try to tether on an unlimited plan. The only plans that allow tethering are those which specifically include it, and there's no way short of jailbreaking to use even a wifi iPad with the tethering plan on an iPhone.

ex_spy_guy wrote:

There is no legal reprocessing, and since both the iPhone and the iPad both run the same operating system and you <snip>

I think the word you're looking for is legal recourse, and AT&T can and will either switch you to the tethering plan or terminate your service as they see fit, especially if you try to tether on an unlimited plan. The only plans that allow tethering are those which specifically include it, and there's no way short of jailbreaking to use even a wifi iPad with the tethering plan on an iPhone.

ex_spy_guy wrote:

There is no legal reprocessing, and since both the iPhone and the iPad both run the same operating system and you <snip>

5 of 5 (2,385 Views)