Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Jul 6, 2009
2:44:29 PM
exclusivity agreements
http://www.macrumors.com/2009/07/06/u-s-department-of-justice-reviewing-wireless-carrier-exclusivity-agreements/
http://www.macrumors.com/2009/07/06/u-s-department-of-justice-reviewing-wireless-carrier-exclusivity-agreements/

exclusivity agreements

7 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(7)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 6, 2009 3:04:20 PM
(0)
Professor
Say bye bye to subsidized phones.

Re: exclusivity agreements

2 of 8 (1,436 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 6, 2009 3:07:23 PM
(0)
Master
Edited by Caretaker on Jul 7, 2009 at 8:00:17 AM

Ehhh...and 9 pages of { Please keep it courteous }  arguing about it in the comments section.  Nothing to see here, move along.

This honestly means nothing.  Even if the government declares exclusivity agreements illegal, that doesn't mean people can take their iPhones to Sprint or Verizon and expect them to work (different technologies), and the 3G iPhones would be 2G on T-Mobile because of differing UMTS frequencies.

Blond37 wrote:

Message Edited by Caretaker on 07-07-2009 08:00:17 AM

Ehhh...and 9 pages of { Please keep it courteous }  arguing about it in the comments section.  Nothing to see here, move along.

This honestly means nothing.  Even if the government declares exclusivity agreements illegal, that doesn't mean people can take their iPhones to Sprint or Verizon and expect them to work (different technologies), and the 3G iPhones would be 2G on T-Mobile because of differing UMTS frequencies.

Blond37 wrote:

Message Edited by Caretaker on 07-07-2009 08:00:17 AM

[ Edited ]
3 of 8 (1,433 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 7, 2009 7:57:02 AM
(0)
Professor
For the life of me, I cannot understand why the United States government would even bother getting involved with something like this.

With all that's going on in this country and the world, they have the resources, time and energy to involve themselves in this?

Amazing.
For the life of me, I cannot understand why the United States government would even bother getting involved with something like this.

With all that's going on in this country and the world, they have the resources, time and energy to involve themselves in this?

Amazing.

4 of 8 (1,337 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 7, 2009 8:13:48 AM
(0)
Scholar

My 2 cents: I'm glad they're looking into steroids in baseball and exclusivity agreements for cell phone carriers instead of wall street fraud and state-level finances (such as California).

At least we know the country is safe. Smiley Wink

My 2 cents: I'm glad they're looking into steroids in baseball and exclusivity agreements for cell phone carriers instead of wall street fraud and state-level finances (such as California).

At least we know the country is safe. Smiley Wink

5 of 8 (1,325 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 7, 2009 3:58:34 PM
(0)
Scholar

Doppler808 wrote:

Yep, first thing I thought of. I don't know that it'd be gone for sure, but I'd definitely bet that the subsidy would go down a lot.

Doppler808 wrote:

Yep, first thing I thought of. I don't know that it'd be gone for sure, but I'd definitely bet that the subsidy would go down a lot.

6 of 8 (1,250 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 7, 2009 7:24:00 PM
(0)
Scholar
Wider availability will not destroy subsidies. It will increase them by increasing the competition among companies for customers who want a particularly desirable phone (such as the iPhone). Subsidies are enticements to customers for signing an extended contract. If the phone is widely available and the customer has a choice, the company will have to raise their subsidy.

The Blackberry, sold by every major carrier, is almost being given away at this time.
Wider availability will not destroy subsidies. It will increase them by increasing the competition among companies for customers who want a particularly desirable phone (such as the iPhone). Subsidies are enticements to customers for signing an extended contract. If the phone is widely available and the customer has a choice, the company will have to raise their subsidy.

The Blackberry, sold by every major carrier, is almost being given away at this time.

7 of 8 (1,217 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 7, 2009 10:36:45 PM
(0)
Professor

Myrtlemaye wrote:

Not really BB is sold by every carrier, but certain models are exclusive to 1 carrier. Same goes with other cell companies out there. With people complaining about X years they are tied for to get subsidization I feel providers should have stop offering it a long time ago.

Myrtlemaye wrote:

Not really BB is sold by every carrier, but certain models are exclusive to 1 carrier. Same goes with other cell companies out there. With people complaining about X years they are tied for to get subsidization I feel providers should have stop offering it a long time ago.

8 of 8 (1,172 Views)