email access charges

Contributor

email access charges

How much will it generally cost me to set up my email on a go-phone?  I don't have any special data package or a smartphone.  Strictly pay as you go.  I don't plan to access email too often on my phone...just when I am on the road if I am expecting an important email.  I am wondering how much of a charge I am going to get hit with to both set it up and then afterwards to receive an email?  I hate to see my whoel balance be depleted by doing this. 

Message 1 of 6
Professor

Re: email access charges

Depends on how many letters are in your e-mails.
Message 2 of 6
Master

I wouldn't really recommend using e-mail without having a data plan - even if it's fairly occasional use.  You might want to purchase the $5/10 MB data package to begin with - see how far that takes you; and without making a large investment in it, you can also get a better idea of the amount of data usage you are talking about so you can calculate what your estimated cost would be on a PPU basis.

=^..^=
There must be a happy medium somewhere between being totally informed and blissfully unaware.

- Doug Larson

Message 3 of 6
Scholar

Susan1983 wrote:

How much will it generally cost me to set up my email on a go-phone?  I don't have any special data package or a smartphone.  Strictly pay as you go.  I don't plan to access email too often on my phone...just when I am on the road if I am expecting an important email.  I am wondering how much of a charge I am going to get hit with to both set it up and then afterwards to receive an email?  I hate to see my whoel balance be depleted by doing this. 

Don't bother using pay as you go for email. Even the $5/10MB per month package is considerably cheaper. On my Sony Ericsson feature phone, I used around 20~50MB per month or so for email and occasional web browsing (using Opera Mini). On pay per use data ($0.01/5KB), that would cost $40~100 per month. My suggestion, buy the $25/500MB package and then just top it up every 29 days with the $5/10MB package to roll over the data balance. If you don't need email access on your phone every month, I reckon you could also just buy the $5/10MB for the times that you need it. A session of checking a couple of emails for me usually takes 500KB or so.

Message 4 of 6
Master

As an additional reference point, I use e-mail all day long, everyday - but hardly ever use data outside of e-mail. With both my Nokia E70 and the 6820, I rarely used more than 5 to 8 MB of data per month - using the phone's e-mail client, not the web. With my E7 I am using far more data as I have e-mail polling turned on now. It really is highly dependant on the device you are using and how you access your e-mail acccount.
                                                                                                                         =^..^=
There must be a happy medium somewhere between being totally informed and blissfully unaware.

- Doug Larson

Message 5 of 6
Professor

Yep. I suspect that those who used over 1gb were streaming audio, video, and photos. Facebook is also heavy on data as WB noted.
Message 6 of 6
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?

Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

Additional Support