Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Nov 7, 2011
6:18:02 AM
View profile
email access charges

How much will it generally cost me to set up my email on a go-phone?  I don't have any special data package or a smartphone.  Strictly pay as you go.  I don't plan to access email too often on my phone...just when I am on the road if I am expecting an important email.  I am wondering how much of a charge I am going to get hit with to both set it up and then afterwards to receive an email?  I hate to see my whoel balance be depleted by doing this. 

How much will it generally cost me to set up my email on a go-phone?  I don't have any special data package or a smartphone.  Strictly pay as you go.  I don't plan to access email too often on my phone...just when I am on the road if I am expecting an important email.  I am wondering how much of a charge I am going to get hit with to both set it up and then afterwards to receive an email?  I hate to see my whoel balance be depleted by doing this. 

email access charges

5 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(5)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 8, 2011 8:11:54 PM
(0)
Professor
Depends on how many letters are in your e-mails.
Depends on how many letters are in your e-mails.

Re: email access charges

2 of 6 (161 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 10, 2011 5:09:22 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

I wouldn't really recommend using e-mail without having a data plan - even if it's fairly occasional use.  You might want to purchase the $5/10 MB data package to begin with - see how far that takes you; and without making a large investment in it, you can also get a better idea of the amount of data usage you are talking about so you can calculate what your estimated cost would be on a PPU basis.

=^..^=
There must be a happy medium somewhere between being totally informed and blissfully unaware.

- Doug Larson

I wouldn't really recommend using e-mail without having a data plan - even if it's fairly occasional use.  You might want to purchase the $5/10 MB data package to begin with - see how far that takes you; and without making a large investment in it, you can also get a better idea of the amount of data usage you are talking about so you can calculate what your estimated cost would be on a PPU basis.

=^..^=
There must be a happy medium somewhere between being totally informed and blissfully unaware.

- Doug Larson

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

3 of 6 (146 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 10, 2011 8:29:21 AM
(0)
Scholar

Susan1983 wrote:

Don't bother using pay as you go for email. Even the $5/10MB per month package is considerably cheaper. On my Sony Ericsson feature phone, I used around 20~50MB per month or so for email and occasional web browsing (using Opera Mini). On pay per use data ($0.01/5KB), that would cost $40~100 per month. My suggestion, buy the $25/500MB package and then just top it up every 29 days with the $5/10MB package to roll over the data balance. If you don't need email access on your phone every month, I reckon you could also just buy the $5/10MB for the times that you need it. A session of checking a couple of emails for me usually takes 500KB or so.

Susan1983 wrote:

Don't bother using pay as you go for email. Even the $5/10MB per month package is considerably cheaper. On my Sony Ericsson feature phone, I used around 20~50MB per month or so for email and occasional web browsing (using Opera Mini). On pay per use data ($0.01/5KB), that would cost $40~100 per month. My suggestion, buy the $25/500MB package and then just top it up every 29 days with the $5/10MB package to roll over the data balance. If you don't need email access on your phone every month, I reckon you could also just buy the $5/10MB for the times that you need it. A session of checking a couple of emails for me usually takes 500KB or so.

4 of 6 (142 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 10, 2011 11:22:22 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
As an additional reference point, I use e-mail all day long, everyday - but hardly ever use data outside of e-mail. With both my Nokia E70 and the 6820, I rarely used more than 5 to 8 MB of data per month - using the phone's e-mail client, not the web. With my E7 I am using far more data as I have e-mail polling turned on now. It really is highly dependant on the device you are using and how you access your e-mail acccount.
                                                                                                                         =^..^=

- Doug Larson

As an additional reference point, I use e-mail all day long, everyday - but hardly ever use data outside of e-mail. With both my Nokia E70 and the 6820, I rarely used more than 5 to 8 MB of data per month - using the phone's e-mail client, not the web. With my E7 I am using far more data as I have e-mail polling turned on now. It really is highly dependant on the device you are using and how you access your e-mail acccount.
                                                                                                                         =^..^=

- Doug Larson

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

5 of 6 (137 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 10, 2011 11:36:26 AM
(0)
Professor
Yep. I suspect that those who used over 1gb were streaming audio, video, and photos. Facebook is also heavy on data as WB noted.
Yep. I suspect that those who used over 1gb were streaming audio, video, and photos. Facebook is also heavy on data as WB noted.

6 of 6 (135 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments