Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Jun 15, 2012
11:28:23 AM
View profile
eMMC brick bug

With this brick bug looming in the heads of skyrocket users, would AT&T offer an exchange? I do not like the idea that my phone might be a ticking timebomb. If I ever have to factory reset it I could end up with a desk weight. This isn't just a flash a leaked rom issue, the brick bug is built into our phones straight from Samsung. I feel like I was sold a faulty piece of equipment.

With this brick bug looming in the heads of skyrocket users, would AT&T offer an exchange? I do not like the idea that my phone might be a ticking timebomb. If I ever have to factory reset it I could end up with a desk weight. This isn't just a flash a leaked rom issue, the brick bug is built into our phones straight from Samsung. I feel like I was sold a faulty piece of equipment.

eMMC brick bug

7 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(7)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 15, 2012 12:11:23 PM
(0)
Guru

hatepump wrote:

I'm not sure if the Skyrocket final ICS release will contain the trigger conditions for the bug.

While I'm disappointed that Samsung hasn't been forward-fitting newly shipped devices with fixed eMMC firmware and has yet to provide any method for repairing eMMC chips that have been trashed by the bug, at the least they are being more careful now about ensuring that protection measures are in place to prevent the bug from getting triggered in official releases.

Gingerbread recoveries are safe

ICS leak recoveries are dangerous (don't wipe with these if you've changed the recovery)

ICS official release is unknown

One of the few advantages of the Skyrocket is that it uses separate boot images for operation and recovery - so you can try the ICS leak firmware while retaining a safe Gingerbread-based recovery configuration.

hatepump wrote:

I'm not sure if the Skyrocket final ICS release will contain the trigger conditions for the bug.

While I'm disappointed that Samsung hasn't been forward-fitting newly shipped devices with fixed eMMC firmware and has yet to provide any method for repairing eMMC chips that have been trashed by the bug, at the least they are being more careful now about ensuring that protection measures are in place to prevent the bug from getting triggered in official releases.

Gingerbread recoveries are safe

ICS leak recoveries are dangerous (don't wipe with these if you've changed the recovery)

ICS official release is unknown

One of the few advantages of the Skyrocket is that it uses separate boot images for operation and recovery - so you can try the ICS leak firmware while retaining a safe Gingerbread-based recovery configuration.

-------------- CyanogenMod 9/10 device co-maintainer for: SGH-I777 (AT&T Galaxy S2) GT-N7000 (International Galaxy Note) GT-N8013 (Galaxy Note 10.1 Wifi)

Re: eMMC brick bug

2 of 8 (1,133 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 15, 2012 12:45:54 PM
(0)
Teacher

I just hope that with the release of official ICS for the Skyrocket they fix this.

I just hope that with the release of official ICS for the Skyrocket they fix this.

3 of 8 (1,127 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 16, 2012 1:12:52 AM
(0)
Mentor

I know what you mean , I also feel like I own a faulty defective piece of equipment , Entropy would know better then I would but wouldnt any fix that they can come out with just go around the problem and not actually fix it , kind of saying instead of fixing the giant hole in the road we will detour you around it to prevent damage to your car , but we wont actually be fixing the road.

I know what you mean , I also feel like I own a faulty defective piece of equipment , Entropy would know better then I would but wouldnt any fix that they can come out with just go around the problem and not actually fix it , kind of saying instead of fixing the giant hole in the road we will detour you around it to prevent damage to your car , but we wont actually be fixing the road.

4 of 8 (1,083 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 18, 2012 7:45:53 AM
(0)
Guru

hatepump wrote:

They did in T989 source - but it wouldn't be the first time AT&T kernels have diverged significantly from those of similar devices when there is no justification (see I777 leaks -  UCLD3 has all of the Superbrick trigger conditions, I9100 kernels are perfectly safe, as are kernels built from I9100 source.)

I believe that CM9 releases for the Skyrocket are now built from the safe T989 sources - in fact at this point the CM9 kernel/recovery setup for that device has triple protection (recovery/update-binary doesn't try to erase, and it's blocked in two separate places in the kernel.)

hatepump wrote:

They did in T989 source - but it wouldn't be the first time AT&T kernels have diverged significantly from those of similar devices when there is no justification (see I777 leaks -  UCLD3 has all of the Superbrick trigger conditions, I9100 kernels are perfectly safe, as are kernels built from I9100 source.)

I believe that CM9 releases for the Skyrocket are now built from the safe T989 sources - in fact at this point the CM9 kernel/recovery setup for that device has triple protection (recovery/update-binary doesn't try to erase, and it's blocked in two separate places in the kernel.)

-------------- CyanogenMod 9/10 device co-maintainer for: SGH-I777 (AT&T Galaxy S2) GT-N7000 (International Galaxy Note) GT-N8013 (Galaxy Note 10.1 Wifi)

5 of 8 (1,021 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 18, 2012 8:26:57 PM
(0)
Teacher

I've been running Sky-ICS for the last couple months but decided to go back to GB. I will check out CM9, I haven't touched a "stock" ICS rom since the first leak AOKP was put on XDA. I love my Skyrocket, I just worry that I will kill it and it will be out of my control LOL. How's your battery life with CM9? I'm running Faux's kernel at 1.7GHz and my battery life is insane compared to the ICS kernels I have ran.

I've been running Sky-ICS for the last couple months but decided to go back to GB. I will check out CM9, I haven't touched a "stock" ICS rom since the first leak AOKP was put on XDA. I love my Skyrocket, I just worry that I will kill it and it will be out of my control LOL. How's your battery life with CM9? I'm running Faux's kernel at 1.7GHz and my battery life is insane compared to the ICS kernels I have ran.

6 of 8 (1,002 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 18, 2012 11:55:25 PM
(0)
Employee
i like CM9 but it's a battery killer on both mine and my buddy's skyrocket. it's not super terrible but less than any other rOM i've ran in the ast 4 years
i like CM9 but it's a battery killer on both mine and my buddy's skyrocket. it's not super terrible but less than any other rOM i've ran in the ast 4 years
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

7 of 8 (988 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 19, 2012 8:22:56 AM
(0)
Guru

hatepump wrote:

I can't speak as to battery life for CM9 on the Skyrocket, as my only involvement with that has been coordinating Superbrick (defective eMMC) protection with the T989 and I727 CM9 maintainers.

It's amazing on the I777 and N7000.

hatepump wrote:

I can't speak as to battery life for CM9 on the Skyrocket, as my only involvement with that has been coordinating Superbrick (defective eMMC) protection with the T989 and I727 CM9 maintainers.

It's amazing on the I777 and N7000.

8 of 8 (978 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments