Ask a question

Posted Aug 29, 2010
11:14:08 AM
View profile
does location services use data

I was wondering if the location services on my iPhone 3G uses cellular data?

I don't want to turn it on until I find out

Thanks

does location services use data

9 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(9)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 29, 2010 1:38:09 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

Yes, it uses a very small amount of data.  What location services will do to try to determine where you are is first it will do a cell tower traingulation for a rough estimate of where you are.  next it will do a little IP traffic trying to check your address against known wifi hotspot locations, and lastly it will turn on the GPSr in the phone to get the most accurate location.  It uses the the methods in that order in an attempt to get a "good enough" location without spending the larger amount of battery it needs to fire-up the GPSr chip and get the ost precise location.  The amount of data used by location services is nothing compared to the amount of data the services use for other purposes.

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare.

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: does location services use data

2 of 10 (25,564 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 29, 2010 1:59:46 PM
(0)
Scholar

Is there any way to use location services without using data?  What would happen if I had cellular data off and used location services?  Would it skip that step?

3 of 10 (25,550 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 29, 2010 2:18:56 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor
Turn off cellular data and try it. It may take a while, or forever, to get a gps fix, but it might eventually get there. I'll be out of the country next month with my iP4 data off the whole time (CRAZY roaming data rates, AT&T!) I'll give it a go and see if I can get anything while in europe.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 10 (25,542 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 29, 2010 2:52:29 PM
(0)
Scholar

Cool, I would be very interested in what you find out.  In the interum I will give it a shot

Thanks

5 of 10 (25,521 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 2, 2011 7:44:51 PM
(0)
Contributor

How much data does it use??? I have the 2 GB one will it use it all?

6 of 10 (22,495 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 2, 2011 8:08:24 PM
(0)
Professor
How much data an app using location services depends on what the app does with the location information. For example, if you use the built in maps app, getting a GPS or tower fix on your location will use little data, but the app will use data to get the map for where you are located. If the app can't get the map because data is turned off then the location is useless.

It's the app doing something with the location fix that uses the majority of the data, not the act of fixing the location.

7 of 10 (22,488 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 2, 2011 8:43:15 PM
(0)
Contributor

But it wont use a lot like i would be ok with the 2 GB i picked?

8 of 10 (22,483 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 3, 2011 5:14:20 AM
(0)
Professor
Edited by dwill05 on Dec 3, 2011 at 5:16:41 AM

I always have location services turned on, but I usually use less than 1GB per month. But again, having location service turned on or off doesn't have that much affect by itself. It's the apps that you use that do something with the location data that use up data, not the fact that location data is on or off.

Some people who always have location data turned on may never go near 2GB.  Conversely, some people who have the location service turned off can go over 2GB.  It all depends on what apps you use.

[ Edited ]
9 of 10 (22,464 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 3, 2011 5:21:45 AM
(0)
Guru

I have location services activated on several apps. I also have the 2GB plan but I only use 200 - 300 MB a month. It may not be the same for you because I'm not a heavy data hog; I don't stream hulu, pandora, etc.

Manny21 wrote:

But it wont use a lot like i would be ok with the 2 GB i picked?

10 of 10 (22,460 Views)