Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Jun 24, 2012
9:17:31 AM
discontinued phones
sorry since im new to this but if you buy a discontinued feature phone , can you use it as a prepaid? I noticed some out there seemed to hve some better specs than those now.(as far as camera quality,feature phone) and i notice the lg encore is being discontinued n pantech link, so will another feature phone take its place? thanks
sorry since im new to this but if you buy a discontinued feature phone , can you use it as a prepaid? I noticed some out there seemed to hve some better specs than those now.(as far as camera quality,feature phone) and i notice the lg encore is being discontinued n pantech link, so will another feature phone take its place? thanks

discontinued phones

3 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(3)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 24, 2012 3:37:12 PM
(0)
Professor
Edited by ilikewireless on Jun 24, 2012 at 3:38:06 PM

chadsgirl wrote:

Yes, a discontinued phone should work as long as they are not too old. I would look for 3G phones for better coverage.

The LG Xpression looks like a "replacement" for the LG Encore. The Pantech Link II looks like a replacement for Pantech p7040. You can buy the Xpression or the Link II for use as prepaid phones. If you do, make sure that the sales person understands and knows how to set you up for prepaid. The cameras in the "replacement" phones are only 2.0 MP and may not be autofocus. I think that the older Encore has a better camera, based on the spec.

chadsgirl wrote:

Yes, a discontinued phone should work as long as they are not too old. I would look for 3G phones for better coverage.

The LG Xpression looks like a "replacement" for the LG Encore. The Pantech Link II looks like a replacement for Pantech p7040. You can buy the Xpression or the Link II for use as prepaid phones. If you do, make sure that the sales person understands and knows how to set you up for prepaid. The cameras in the "replacement" phones are only 2.0 MP and may not be autofocus. I think that the older Encore has a better camera, based on the spec.

Re: discontinued phones

[ Edited ]
2 of 4 (667 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 25, 2012 8:09:38 AM
(0)
Tutor
Thanks, ive read tht smart phones can only have the high quality cameras. but i saw a older feature phone a sony ericsson ( I think) tht has one of the best cameras. Is it jus tht they market these feature on smrt phs only to drive ppl to have data plans ? Is a phone like the sony eric, too old? thanks.
Thanks, ive read tht smart phones can only have the high quality cameras. but i saw a older feature phone a sony ericsson ( I think) tht has one of the best cameras. Is it jus tht they market these feature on smrt phs only to drive ppl to have data plans ? Is a phone like the sony eric, too old? thanks.

3 of 4 (638 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 25, 2012 3:33:20 PM
(0)
Professor

chadsgirl wrote:

How old is too old? Well, it depends on network upgrades. It is also relative to how often you would replace your phone.

It's not easy to say when older phones will become obsolete. I have heard that some phones are still in use 10 years after they first appeared in the market.

I think what will happen is that the geographical coverage for older phones will decrease over time. In some cases, it may not affect some people. It just depends on when and where older 2G/EDGE networks get phased out.

The other factor that you may want to consider is how long you will keep your phone. If you replace your phone every few years, then the phone may not be too old.

I've noticed though last year AT&T was sellling 2G/EDGE phones. By this year, if you look at their shopping website, all basic phones and feature phones are now 3G capable.(also EDGE capable). The coverage foot prints for 3G phones are bigger than 2G/EDGE only phones.

If you like a phone that meets your needs, and you are replacing every few years, I don't see any issues. What will happen depends on when and where 2G/EDGE networks are decommissioned.

chadsgirl wrote:

How old is too old? Well, it depends on network upgrades. It is also relative to how often you would replace your phone.

It's not easy to say when older phones will become obsolete. I have heard that some phones are still in use 10 years after they first appeared in the market.

I think what will happen is that the geographical coverage for older phones will decrease over time. In some cases, it may not affect some people. It just depends on when and where older 2G/EDGE networks get phased out.

The other factor that you may want to consider is how long you will keep your phone. If you replace your phone every few years, then the phone may not be too old.

I've noticed though last year AT&T was sellling 2G/EDGE phones. By this year, if you look at their shopping website, all basic phones and feature phones are now 3G capable.(also EDGE capable). The coverage foot prints for 3G phones are bigger than 2G/EDGE only phones.

If you like a phone that meets your needs, and you are replacing every few years, I don't see any issues. What will happen depends on when and where 2G/EDGE networks are decommissioned.

4 of 4 (617 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments