Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Nov 16, 2011
5:44:09 PM
View profile
data streaming won't stop.

my samsung galaxy captivate will not stop streaming data. i don't think that anything is running that would be using data. how do i make it stop?

my samsung galaxy captivate will not stop streaming data. i don't think that anything is running that would be using data. how do i make it stop?

data streaming won't stop.

6 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(6)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 16, 2011 6:37:15 PM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by ryanthomaswoods on Nov 16, 2011 at 6:37:42 PM

Have you pulled up task manager to see what applications are running? Some apps, even when closed will continue to stream data.

Have you pulled up task manager to see what applications are running? Some apps, even when closed will continue to stream data.

Re: data streaming won't stop.

[ Edited ]
2 of 7 (394 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 17, 2011 2:58:10 AM
(0)
Mentor

You can turn off the data connection to AT&T by opening SETTINGS - WIRELESS AND NETWORK - MOBILE NETWORKS - uncheck USE PACKET DATA. Until you turn it back on, you'll block all broad band data from the cell towers, but if you have WIFI turned on, your programs will receive & transmit.

You can also download a task manager program from the Android Market that can help by ending programs automatically.

You can turn off the data connection to AT&T by opening SETTINGS - WIRELESS AND NETWORK - MOBILE NETWORKS - uncheck USE PACKET DATA. Until you turn it back on, you'll block all broad band data from the cell towers, but if you have WIFI turned on, your programs will receive & transmit.

You can also download a task manager program from the Android Market that can help by ending programs automatically.

3 of 7 (376 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 17, 2011 3:33:15 AM
(0)
Contributor

i've turned off everything that i can find that appears to be running. it just won't stop. i checked the mobile networks and i don't have anything called use packet data. maybe an app is the next thing. of course, i could just go to the store and see if they can make it stop. everything was fine until i tried to make a phone call yesterday - the call wouldn't go through and the data has been running ever since then. thanks for your suggestions.

i've turned off everything that i can find that appears to be running. it just won't stop. i checked the mobile networks and i don't have anything called use packet data. maybe an app is the next thing. of course, i could just go to the store and see if they can make it stop. everything was fine until i tried to make a phone call yesterday - the call wouldn't go through and the data has been running ever since then. thanks for your suggestions.

4 of 7 (372 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 17, 2011 4:59:06 AM
(0)
Mentor

Try turning on FLIGHT MODE. This should turn off all radio functions including phone service, WiFi, and Data Packets. If it still appears to be streaming data, then there must be something else going on. What feature are you looking at that tells you you are streaming data?

By the way, you're better off calling the tech support number rather than going into a store. Every time I've gone to our local store, they just gave me the phone number to call tech support. All they do is sell stuff. Dial 6-1-1 or try 1-800-311-0500 FROM A PHONE OTHER THAN THE ONE YOU'RE TROUBLE SHOOTING.

Try turning on FLIGHT MODE. This should turn off all radio functions including phone service, WiFi, and Data Packets. If it still appears to be streaming data, then there must be something else going on. What feature are you looking at that tells you you are streaming data?

By the way, you're better off calling the tech support number rather than going into a store. Every time I've gone to our local store, they just gave me the phone number to call tech support. All they do is sell stuff. Dial 6-1-1 or try 1-800-311-0500 FROM A PHONE OTHER THAN THE ONE YOU'RE TROUBLE SHOOTING.

5 of 7 (365 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 17, 2011 3:25:21 PM
(0)
Contributor

Thanks everyone - I actually found an app - advanced task killer - that worked. It showed that the flickr app was running which it didn't show on the phone itself. I deleted the flickr app and that solved the problem.

Thanks everyone - I actually found an app - advanced task killer - that worked. It showed that the flickr app was running which it didn't show on the phone itself. I deleted the flickr app and that solved the problem.

6 of 7 (347 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 18, 2011 3:58:58 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
I had to delete my Facebook app because it synced data in the background and I incurred a few dollars worth of wasteful data charges as an outcome... Yikes.

Make sure to always close active applications when you are finished using them. Otherwise, this may happen again.

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

I had to delete my Facebook app because it synced data in the background and I incurred a few dollars worth of wasteful data charges as an outcome... Yikes.

Make sure to always close active applications when you are finished using them. Otherwise, this may happen again.

:cathappy: Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 :cathappy:

Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

7 of 7 (324 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments