Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Oct 8, 2010
3:06:47 PM
View profile
data "weight" (use) of a message sent through beejive, ebuddy or similar

Hello,

I'm considering getting an iphone 4 but wan't to bypass paying for a messaging plan (if possible.) I want to get a data plan only (the 200 MB one.)

My question is....if I don't have a text mesaging plan, but send messages through something like beejive or ebuddy, does anyone know approximately how much data is used per message sent? And by message i mean a short message without pics or anything "heavy." Just your typical "hey man what are you up to?"

I want to make sure if i use the network and receive messages through the data plan, my data allowance is depleted fast.

I would actually ask att to make sure i can't receive text messages because i don't want to pay 20 cents per message if i get them without a plan.

Apart form beejive and ebuddy, how else can i send messages as data? I use AOL IM, ichat and MSM. 

Thanks guys

Hello,

I'm considering getting an iphone 4 but wan't to bypass paying for a messaging plan (if possible.) I want to get a data plan only (the 200 MB one.)

My question is....if I don't have a text mesaging plan, but send messages through something like beejive or ebuddy, does anyone know approximately how much data is used per message sent? And by message i mean a short message without pics or anything "heavy." Just your typical "hey man what are you up to?"

I want to make sure if i use the network and receive messages through the data plan, my data allowance is depleted fast.

I would actually ask att to make sure i can't receive text messages because i don't want to pay 20 cents per message if i get them without a plan.

Apart form beejive and ebuddy, how else can i send messages as data? I use AOL IM, ichat and MSM. 

Thanks guys

data "weight" (use) of a message sent through beejive, ebuddy or similar

1 reply
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(1)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 8, 2010 3:34:17 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

For iPhone Beejive is probably better than eBuddy. Either way, the overhead can't be huge — while I don't know for sure, I'd be surprised if it were more than a few hundred bytes, giving you a couple of thousand messages per megabyte of data.

For iPhone Beejive is probably better than eBuddy. Either way, the overhead can't be huge — while I don't know for sure, I'd be surprised if it were more than a few hundred bytes, giving you a couple of thousand messages per megabyte of data.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: data "weight" (use) of a message sent through beejive, ebuddy or similar

2 of 2 (477 Views)