Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Oct 6, 2011
9:57:17 PM
View profile
data go phone question

I use a micro cell in my house, but I do not want to get charged .5 cents for accidently using data.

My go phone plan is the $25 a month. go phone plan = unlimited messaging and 250 minutes.

So if I do automatic refill does that mean it will be impossible for me to be charged for data and any kind of access to the internet?

I use a micro cell in my house, but I do not want to get charged .5 cents for accidently using data.

My go phone plan is the $25 a month. go phone plan = unlimited messaging and 250 minutes.

So if I do automatic refill does that mean it will be impossible for me to be charged for data and any kind of access to the internet?

data go phone question

7 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(7)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 7, 2011 3:41:20 AM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by OnlytheShadowKnows on Oct 7, 2011 at 3:45:47 AM

nguy1090 wrote:

Hello NGuy1090,

It has nothing to do with auto refills.

What is the OS on your phone?  If it is one-of: {Android, iOS, BlackBerry, WebOS, WM7} it is a "smartphone".  If the phone OS is "proprietary" (not one of the ones listed) then you are going to be charged for data on a per-use basis.

The class "smartphone" as defined by AT&T is important because a "smartphone" under AT&T prepaid is not supposed to charge data usage "by the drink", on a pay-as-you-go basis.

But I have read in here that they have randomly charged to some, although their terms and conditions explicitly say that you need to enroll on a "data feature package" to use data on a smartphone (even accidentally).

If you have a smartphone, try accessing data and see if you get denied access, which should be the case, or not denied (and get charged a few cents).

If you are charged, then you can complain to CSR at 611 to enforce "no data" for your account.  But, otherwise, the safeguard is to purchase a $5/10MB data feature package every 30 days.  But if you do have a "feature phone" (not a "smartphone") then the $5/10MB package every 30 days is your only safeguard to avoid "pay-per-use" data fees.

nguy1090 wrote:

Hello NGuy1090,

It has nothing to do with auto refills.

What is the OS on your phone?  If it is one-of: {Android, iOS, BlackBerry, WebOS, WM7} it is a "smartphone".  If the phone OS is "proprietary" (not one of the ones listed) then you are going to be charged for data on a per-use basis.

The class "smartphone" as defined by AT&T is important because a "smartphone" under AT&T prepaid is not supposed to charge data usage "by the drink", on a pay-as-you-go basis.

But I have read in here that they have randomly charged to some, although their terms and conditions explicitly say that you need to enroll on a "data feature package" to use data on a smartphone (even accidentally).

If you have a smartphone, try accessing data and see if you get denied access, which should be the case, or not denied (and get charged a few cents).

If you are charged, then you can complain to CSR at 611 to enforce "no data" for your account.  But, otherwise, the safeguard is to purchase a $5/10MB data feature package every 30 days.  But if you do have a "feature phone" (not a "smartphone") then the $5/10MB package every 30 days is your only safeguard to avoid "pay-per-use" data fees.

Re: data go phone question

[ Edited ]
2 of 8 (446 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 7, 2011 4:35:26 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Another alternative, depending on the model of phone you are using is to corrupt the data settings in your phone so that it cannot connect to cellular data - or at least not "easily". 

If you cannot edit the existing data access point setting, see if you can add a new one and set it as the default access point - if so, you may be able to basically just leave it blank in terms of specifying most of the fields. (You'll have to give the access point a name and you may have to choose a data type (GSM/GPRS or circuit switched/packet switched) in order to save the new access point, but at least on my at&t branded SEs, nothing beyond that is required.) 

At&t has removed the ability to do this from many of their phones, but I was able to do so with my SE W518a, purchased as a GoPhone early this year.

=^..^=
There must be a happy medium somewhere between being totally informed and blissfully unaware.

- Doug Larson

Another alternative, depending on the model of phone you are using is to corrupt the data settings in your phone so that it cannot connect to cellular data - or at least not "easily". 

If you cannot edit the existing data access point setting, see if you can add a new one and set it as the default access point - if so, you may be able to basically just leave it blank in terms of specifying most of the fields. (You'll have to give the access point a name and you may have to choose a data type (GSM/GPRS or circuit switched/packet switched) in order to save the new access point, but at least on my at&t branded SEs, nothing beyond that is required.) 

At&t has removed the ability to do this from many of their phones, but I was able to do so with my SE W518a, purchased as a GoPhone early this year.

=^..^=
There must be a happy medium somewhere between being totally informed and blissfully unaware.

- Doug Larson

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

3 of 8 (438 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 7, 2011 6:39:32 AM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by OnlytheShadowKnows on Oct 7, 2011 at 6:47:51 AM

hme83 is correct.  Clearing the APN (Access Point Name) of your instrument and making it the default APN, if your insturment allows, will deny data service regardless of the network-side settings, as the instrument will not be able to issue the cellular data packet as it is purposely mis-configured (it does not know the proxy gateway, the protocol and/or the service port).

But I just re-read your original post:

If I understand correctly, and I have no experience with AT&T m-cells, you seem to imply that there is a toll fee of 50cents anytime you access data, even accidentally.

Maybe you can clarify.

hme83 is correct.  Clearing the APN (Access Point Name) of your instrument and making it the default APN, if your insturment allows, will deny data service regardless of the network-side settings, as the instrument will not be able to issue the cellular data packet as it is purposely mis-configured (it does not know the proxy gateway, the protocol and/or the service port).

But I just re-read your original post:

If I understand correctly, and I have no experience with AT&T m-cells, you seem to imply that there is a toll fee of 50cents anytime you access data, even accidentally.

Maybe you can clarify.

[ Edited ]
4 of 8 (434 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 7, 2011 7:46:41 AM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by ShaunMN on Oct 7, 2011 at 8:05:45 AM

I do not get charged for being connected to a micro cell. The only way I can access micro cell use it to have 3g turned on the phone.

So I need 3g to work and can't shut it off.

Currently I have no money on my phone and the micro cell is connected and showing full bars.

let me rephase my question. I have a iphone 4 go phone, and don't give me {word filter evasion} about how you can not have a iphone with go phone service. I've been jailbreaking my phone since the first iphone.

I was wondering since i got the $25 plan a month.  If I put $25 with instant refill. Doesn't that mean I can't get charged for anything else. Because the only money they will have at their disposal is the $25.

I do not get charged for being connected to a micro cell. The only way I can access micro cell use it to have 3g turned on the phone.

Currently I have no money on my phone and the micro cell is connected and showing full bars.

let me rephase my question. I have a iphone 4 go phone, and don't give me {word filter evasion} about how you can not have a iphone with go phone service. I've been jailbreaking my phone since the first iphone.

I was wondering since i got the $25 plan a month.  If I put $25 with instant refill. Doesn't that mean I can't get charged for anything else. Because the only money they will have at their disposal is the $25.

[ Edited ]
5 of 8 (425 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 7, 2011 8:41:20 AM
(0)
Scholar

wrote:

Let me say, first, that I do have an iPhone under a GoPhone Plan.  And it is not jailbroken/unlocked.  It remains locked to AT&T. But I am on the 10cent-message plan with a companion data feature package leveraging rollover balance (a combo of $25/500Mbyte-month with trickles of $5/10MByte-month thereafter), because (to me), cellular-data is priority number one.  I make few outgoing calls, and all my texting is via GoogleVoice so my texts ride over the data-band, not the talk-band.

The way I read your situation:  you do not want cellular data.  So, you are good-to-go.  AT&T will not require you to be on a data feature package for smartphones.  As a matter of fact, it requires "special sauce" to get your iPhone enrolled on a data feature package.  I know, because I have done it.  Cannot say more here.  But be assured it does not require anything extraordinary that would violate warranty or Terms and Conditions.

You are on the $25 unlimited messaging plan per-month.  And you do not want data on your smartphone.  Fine.  So, you are on safe harbor, and no data will ever be charged to you, deducting from your balance.  What should happen, if you access data accidentally, is a notification pop-up saying "you are not subscribed for data services..."  blah, blah, blah.

Hope I understood your situation.  AT&T will not deduct any moneys to your balance for data access, simply because you will not get data access off your iPhone, by default.

wrote:

Let me say, first, that I do have an iPhone under a GoPhone Plan.  And it is not jailbroken/unlocked.  It remains locked to AT&T. But I am on the 10cent-message plan with a companion data feature package leveraging rollover balance (a combo of $25/500Mbyte-month with trickles of $5/10MByte-month thereafter), because (to me), cellular-data is priority number one.  I make few outgoing calls, and all my texting is via GoogleVoice so my texts ride over the data-band, not the talk-band.

The way I read your situation:  you do not want cellular data.  So, you are good-to-go.  AT&T will not require you to be on a data feature package for smartphones.  As a matter of fact, it requires "special sauce" to get your iPhone enrolled on a data feature package.  I know, because I have done it.  Cannot say more here.  But be assured it does not require anything extraordinary that would violate warranty or Terms and Conditions.

You are on the $25 unlimited messaging plan per-month.  And you do not want data on your smartphone.  Fine.  So, you are on safe harbor, and no data will ever be charged to you, deducting from your balance.  What should happen, if you access data accidentally, is a notification pop-up saying "you are not subscribed for data services..."  blah, blah, blah.

Hope I understood your situation.  AT&T will not deduct any moneys to your balance for data access, simply because you will not get data access off your iPhone, by default.

6 of 8 (419 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 7, 2011 9:02:50 AM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by OnlytheShadowKnows on Oct 7, 2011 at 9:03:22 AM

And this is probably also correct (although I have not tested this, personally). 

The pay-as-you-go charges (auto-deductions) apply mostly to those that must maintain a positive balance on the 10cent-message plan or $2-day unlimited plan to "pay-as-you-go".  With the unlimited monthly plans, $50-month or $25-month, the latter being your case, you do not need to keep a positive balance between monthly renewals.

I believe this to be correct.

And this is probably also correct (although I have not tested this, personally). 

The pay-as-you-go charges (auto-deductions) apply mostly to those that must maintain a positive balance on the 10cent-message plan or $2-day unlimited plan to "pay-as-you-go".  With the unlimited monthly plans, $50-month or $25-month, the latter being your case, you do not need to keep a positive balance between monthly renewals.

I believe this to be correct.

[ Edited ]
7 of 8 (415 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 7, 2011 6:53:18 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

nguy1090 wrote:

Unless your iPhone is set up to connect to the prepaid data network, then otherwise you should be fine. There will be no charges for data. When you auto-refill your account, you should not expect to see any additional funds or charges deducted from your balance.

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

nguy1090 wrote:

Unless your iPhone is set up to connect to the prepaid data network, then otherwise you should be fine. There will be no charges for data. When you auto-refill your account, you should not expect to see any additional funds or charges deducted from your balance.

:cathappy: Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 :cathappy:

Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

8 of 8 (399 Views)