daisy chain multiple mcell's

Contributor

daisy chain multiple mcell's

If I wanted to install multiple Microcell's in my office building, could I daisy chain them together or what would the easiest and most economical installation?  Thank you.

Message 1 of 5 (571 Views)
Guru

Re: daisy chain multiple mcell's

There's no need to daisy-chain them. Just get a router that does proper QoS / prioritization and give your microcells priority over other traffic, then just plug them into the network.

I would say that for the vast, vast majority of cases having more than one microcell in the same building is not a good idea.

If you truly have a large enough space that you need more than one Microcell's worth of coverage, then you should consider either a booster system or get AT&T to install a "milli-cell" like they do at places like Apple stores and their own retail stores.

The problem with the Microcell for a bigger-than-SOHO type installation is that they max out at only 10 registered phone numbers, of which only 4 can be using it at once. Additionally, you can't hand-off a call from one Microcell to another.

Message 2 of 5 (562 Views)
Professor

I have had problems with microcell handoffs to macrocells.  I would think the problem might also occur with microcell to microcell handoffs.  In fact, I since microcells can't handoff into a microcell from a macrocell, I would suspect it would not hand off from microcell to microcell.  In the confines of a single building, I would think that would happen a lot.  So I would have to say give it a try, but don't expect much. 

Message 3 of 5 (557 Views)
Guru

They actually say (somewhere) that microcell-to-microcell handoffs are not supported, so what'll happen is that your call will handoff to the macrocells, which may, instead, drop the call. And you can't rush back to the microcell - once a call hands off to macro-land, it's stuck there until it drops.

Message 4 of 5 (547 Views)
Contributor

We are currently doing this with 2 microcells since there were not 2 ports available in the wall that were near the window.  Working fine

Message 5 of 5 (427 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.