customer service.. part two

Highlighted

customer service.. part two

Thaks for the kudos.  I really appreciate them.

As for the posts about bad customer service.. I don't deny that it happens, I've had off days where I know I probably didn't do all I should have, and thereare some reps out there who may not have made the best job choice.. but it's the rep, not necissarily the company. Bad experiences should be reported to the proper authority (ie manager, supervisor) with as much detail as possible, as soon as possible, so that those issues can be corrected.

That being said.. on to part two..

These seem to be common complaints I've seen (and had) about customer care with a cell phone company. (Sorry, but as much as people want to think that it's only the company they deal with has problems, the same complaints seem to be pretty universal).. which makes me wonder which end carries responsibilty for the problem.. but anyway.

I've been a good/loyal customer with the company. I deserve a phone for free.
First of all, what in life is free? I'm pretty sure the manufacturers of the phones are not giving them for free to the cell phone companies. I know if you try to buy a phone directly from it's maker, you sure aren't getting it for free, so how is a company selling them on behalf of the manufacturer supposed to give them for free? Without at least asking for something in return? Second, what is a 'good' customer? Do you pay your bills on time every month? Do you ever call in to customer care? How much do you spend a month on your bill? How often to you request (demand) credits? How long have you been in/out of contract, and with the company? All of these things will determine what the company is able/willing to offer you. I mean, if you've only been with the company for 3 months, and are paying $40/month for a plan, and loose your phone.. well the company gave you one piece of equipment for $200 for free.. are they going to loose another $200 (total $400) on a custmer that has only given them $120 total so far? What business would have a practice like that?

My phone broke/stopped working. The company owes me a new phone. Ok.. BIG misconception here, and one that really irks me. Listen carefully. All cell phone companies sell AIRTIME. They may fancy it up by offering to play middle man for customers to get the equipment to use the signal they put out (kind of a one-stop shopping), and offer other fancy services that also use their network (wireless internet, messaging, etc).. but at the heart of it, they put up towers, which send out signal, that they charge customers to use to make calls. That's it. They offer a service (the ability to use their towers' signal to make phone calls), and charge people who want to use that service. Besides, if they've given you one phone (at a monetary loss to them) only a few months ago, why should they take another loss so soon to give you another working phone? They just provide the towers, it's up to the consumer (ultimately.. read your contract) to ensure they have working equipment to use the signal the carrier is making available.

It's not my fault the tower isn't working. Why should I have to pay my bill? Cell phone companies are businesses. They are created to make money. If you want a service where you only pay for what you use, then go prepaid. Otherwise, it's a monthly bill to use whatever services you choose within that month. Yes, in a perfect world, customers would only pay for the time the network was available for them to use. But, honey, the world ain't perfect. Besides, what business would gurantee their service always worked no matter what? That would mean that any lightning strike, storm, mechanical or equipment issue, accident, anything that causes their service to stop working would be a loss of revenue, and somehow I can't see a business surviving very long with that kind of policy.

I just pay my bill. I don't read it. It's the company's responsibility to tell me when i'm using more than whats in my plan/stop me from going over. First of all.. can I send my bills to you? If you're not reading them, how do you know they're yours? Anyway, think about that statment will you? You are purchasing a service. You use more than what was in your agreed-upon package, and incurr the charges that are set out in that package. You agreed to have the service, you are the one using the phone, and you want a company with over 60 million customers to monitor how you are using your time? The company notifies you of this in your bill (sent out every month, so it's not like it's a surprize to get one.. they even killed a tree or two to get it to you) usually in a lovely little area with a strange sounding heading like 'usage'. You have paid it. And are now upset because you did not realize you were paying for a service that you are with this company to get. Maybe I'm the only one that's confused after all. I actually like things to make sense and, within reason, be fair. Nevermind. On to

(this is another of my favorites) Why should I have to take time out of My schedule to call customer care about a problem that they should know about and fix? Ok. So, companies are businesses, not mind readers, and do not have the ability/time, whatever, to monitor every single part of every service, and make sure it's working for every customer all the time (this ties in to #3). They don't know there is a problem if no one tells them. Strange how that works. Would your mechanic know that your car is not running properly if you didn't go to him? Depending on what the problem is, it may take some time for you and the company to get it fixed. For example, if it's a problem with the phone (which is in your posession, not the company's).. you may need to take some action to get another working phone yourself. If it is a problem on the company's end, they will fix it (again, a business, wanting to make money.. if the service isn't working, they're not making money). But the fix will be at the company's schedule.

It wasn't my fault the company's service wasn't working, I missed an imporant call/lost business. They owe me! Let me get this straight.. you chose to let important business/calls depend on a cell phone, and didn't have an alternate plan to get in touch with someone if that didn't work. Hmm.. Ok. I admit, my only phone is a cell phone, so if it dies, or quits working, I miss calls myself. My choice to have a cell phone as my only means of communication. So, according to the logic in the above statement, it's NOT my fault if my only means of commincation fails at an important time, when I did have the option of setting up an alternate (friend, home phone, email) way for people to get in touch with me. I like that. No responsiblity for my choice on what services I use. That means that if my car breaks down, and I don't go to work, I shouldn't be responsible for not getting paid. I'll have to let my boss know that the next time my car decides it's a good day not to start. (Considering I live in a city right across the street from a bus stop.. and my boss lives down the block).

Message 1 of 37 (693 Views)
Master

Re: customer service.. part two

Wow. This is very impressive. I'm glad that you know how to understand a problem, and how to solve it. This is very good information and comparisons that every customer should read.

Thanks for posting this. Smiley Happy

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Message 2 of 37 (673 Views)

This should BE AT&Ts contract!!

As an AT&T employee, the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinion.
Message 3 of 37 (665 Views)
Guru

caseyhammerhead wrote:

I just pay my bill. I don't read it. It's the company's responsibility to tell me when i'm using more than whats in my plan/stop me from going over. First of all.. can I send my bills to you? If you're not reading them, how do you know they're yours? Anyway, think about that statment will you? You are purchasing a service. You use more than what was in your agreed-upon package, and incurr the charges that are set out in that package. You agreed to have the service, you are the one using the phone, and you want a company with over 60 million customers to monitor how you are using your time? The company notifies you of this in your bill (sent out every month, so it's not like it's a surprize to get one.. they even killed a tree or two to get it to you) usually in a lovely little area with a strange sounding heading like 'usage'. You have paid it. And are now upset because you did not realize you were paying for a service that you are with this company to get. Maybe I'm the only one that's confused after all. I actually like things to make sense and, within reason, be fair. Nevermind. On to

This, this and a thousand times THIS.

I mean, I receive calls from a lot of people asking why their bill is so high and when I ask them if they have read the bill, they say me that they haven't. What makes things worse is that they call when their balance is already in past due.

I mean, why the heck are we sending the bill when people didn't read it and then call us without even knowing the charges they got?

I'm mad. Smiley Mad

Oh, and MOAR kudos for the OP, excellent thread. Smiley Very Happy

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.
Message 4 of 37 (633 Views)

You stole those words from my mouth!

Thanks for taking the time to write all this. Wish our customers have a little bit more of common sense to understood that reps at any customer service are real people too.

Have a great day Casey.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.
Message 5 of 37 (611 Views)
Scholar

oh my god!!!! Im completely in shock!!!... exactly what Virtual says... EVERY CUSTOMER SHOULD READ THIS!!!... by the way you write... I could think you are a CSR... I hope not... because this is really good, is the best thred I have read ever!!!!...

one more kudo!!

would you do most posts??

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, stategies or opinions.
Message 6 of 37 (605 Views)
Teacher

Its awesome!

I really love it!!

It's the hole true, I mean as reps our works to help customers,

assist them in all we can do, using tools ATT gave us for them.

Some customers have the wrong idea customer care reps are magicians,

that in our computers or systems can fix mistakes (nearly all 'their' mistakes)

instantly. I would recommended them as mobile user they are, check

each bill, details of it in order to keep their account under control and

avoid bad experiences. Then as ATT reps we can have first a better

service and second WOW solutions based on a functional communication.

As ATT reps we are for help and we love it, but as customers like previous posts

wrote someone, we still being humans.

[^.^]

Message 7 of 37 (601 Views)
Employee

It wasn't my fault the company's service wasn't working, I missed an imporant call/lost business. They owe me!

this is the one that really gets me as well.  hello, it was YOUR choice to have only a cell phone and no alternate plan.  get an office, with a desk and a lamp and a phone.  cell phone service is not guaranteed and for it to be the only phone that you have for your buisness costing you thousands of dollars if you dont get the call makes me wonder what kind of business you have. 

again casey, thank you so much for your words of wisdom.  its everything i think and cant say.

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 8 of 37 (582 Views)
Guru

Amen to your post!  Read those bills people!  Pay attention to the contracts you sign.  In my experience, MOST customer service problems are due to lack of understanding, unreasonable expectations, or misconceptions about the service, business or contract.  We think a situation should be handled a certain way and it wasn't, therefore we were ripped off, lied to, cheated, etc.  And I include myself here.  I wish everyone could read your post-we can all learn from it.

Message 9 of 37 (550 Views)
Scholar

Finally some customer read this!!... Im really glad that you liked it

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, stategies or opinions.
Message 10 of 37 (537 Views)
Professor

Love it, kudos! Someone should sticky this lol

Message 11 of 37 (461 Views)
Scholar

[ Edited ]
What is "sticky" mean, UNSC_REACH?
Message 12 of 37 (432 Views)
Professor

i been with AT&T since 1998. paid my bill on time. never abuse the service. and always resigned a 2 year contract even added my Daughters to my account. so i should get a nice HIGH dollar free phone also.but to bad AT&T will not do this. but il stay with them becuase my service always works,when i need to make a payment arrangement AT&T takes care of it.  so have a good day and hope you get your free phone.

Message 13 of 37 (430 Views)
Professor

[ Edited ]

graphite07, not sure if your post was in humor or not. But ATT subsidizes phones already, they are not going to give you an additional discount for your additional tenure. They provide cell service, not phone selling service. So its great your paid up on time, but thats not going to help you get a high dollar phone for free. Wish it worked like that though!

Oh, and "sticky" or "stickie" means to put the topic at the top of the board and it stays up there (like with the ATT announcements).

Message 14 of 37 (416 Views)
Scholar

Thanks! I think it is a good idea to stick both Casey' postings on the top of the board!!! Who has the authority to do it by the way?
Message 15 of 37 (409 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.