Helpful Links

cracked iphone screen - how to deal witout paying a fortune

Contributor

cracked iphone screen - how to deal witout paying a fortune

I know that a cracked iphone screen is not covered under the manufacturer's warranty; but my phone has been doing some quirky things before it cracked, such as the home butten doesn't work like it once did (it has to be pushed many times, and hard), It feezes all the time resulting in me having to restore it several times a day, and it freezes constantly when I am listening to my music on the phone. Sometimes my internert doesnt work, and on same days, I receive all of the text messages people sent me during the day, at midnight, and all at once. These things were happening before the screen cracks, so would I be able to explain what is going on with my iphonen(which are all internal problems), and they would give me a new phone? Or do you think they would just think all of these issues started happening because I cracked my screen? I have only had the phone for a year, so I need some feedback from anyone who has maybe been in my situation, or works in the business. Thanks I could use all the help I can get
Message 1 of 15
Master

Re: cracked iphone screen - how to deal witout paying a fortune

There was something reported recently here or other Apple based news sites that Apple is replacing cracked screens in the store.  Check it out by making an appointment at the Apple store.  www.apple.com/retail

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Message 2 of 15
Master

The fee Apple retail stores charge to replace a broken screen is $199.00

However using their service will not void the warranty on the iPhone.  This might be your best choice if your also wanting to have it fixed/replaced for the other issues your having.  They won't even look at those until the screen is fixed.

If you use a third party service to repair the screen which is normally a lot cheaper you rish the chance it will void the warranty.  In which case Apple will not even look at the other problems unless you pay the Out of Warranty fee for the iPhone which cost as much or more than the screen repair (depending on model this out-of-warranty serive starts at $199 and goes up from there.

http://www.apple.com/support/iphone/service/faq/#warranty7

Message 3 of 15
Master

They will not give you a new phone.  You would have had to have established that you were having a pattern of problems with the phone prior to cracking the screen.  Even then, once you cracked the screen you would be on the hook for repairing it regardless of any other problems.

jjustteeeny wrote:
I know that a cracked iphone screen is not covered under the manufacturer's warranty; but my phone has been doing some quirky things before it cracked, such as the home butten doesn't work like it once did (it has to be pushed many times, and hard), It feezes all the time resulting in me having to restore it several times a day, and it freezes constantly when I am listening to my music on the phone. Sometimes my internert doesnt work, and on same days, I receive all of the text messages people sent me during the day, at midnight, and all at once. These things were happening before the screen cracks, so would I be able to explain what is going on with my iphonen(which are all internal problems), and they would give me a new phone? Or do you think they would just think all of these issues started happening because I cracked my screen? I have only had the phone for a year, so I need some feedback from anyone who has maybe been in my situation, or works in the business. Thanks I could use all the help I can get

Message 4 of 15
Contributor

I was very upset to hear that apple was charging $199 to do this. I paid $199 for my phone originally! I then found http://www.iphone3gscreenrepair.com. They repaired my phone and had it back to me in a flash. The best part is thier price is only $69.99! I was very happy with the repair.
Message 5 of 15
Professor

Does anyone know if the $199 broken screen repair/replacement charge only applies to iPhones that are still under warranty? My understanding was that it didn't matter (hence the term 'out of warranty service), but my friend's sister broke hers and was told by her other sister (who works for AT&T, no less) that she couldn't get that from Apple unless her phone was still under warranty, which it isn't.
Message 6 of 15
Master

SLIKRICK wrote:
Does anyone know if the $199 broken screen repair/replacement charge only applies to iPhones that are still under warranty? My understanding was that it didn't matter (hence the term 'out of warranty service), but my friend's sister broke hers and was told by her other sister (who works for AT&T, no less) that she couldn't get that from Apple unless her phone was still under warranty, which it isn't.

It doesn't matter if its in warranty or not.  Apple will work on it.

If its not under warranty there area lot cheaper places to have the work done.

The advantage of having Apple do the service while while under warranty is that it does not void any remaining warranty you have.  If not under warranty there is no longer an advantage of using Apple.

Message 7 of 15
Guru

if you want, check your local craiglist, I had a broken screen that was replaced for $30, and it's still working well... Make sure you go to those you can actually watch the person doing it.
Message 8 of 15
Professor

Gotcha, Planet Ed. The confusion arose over the $199 swapout price, which I was pretty sure applied to any iPhone, regardless of warranty status. Her sister insisted that Apple wouldn't repair (or in this case replace) the phone for that price unless it was under warranty.
Message 9 of 15
Scholar

Re: cracked iphone screen - how to deal without paying a fortune

Plus, it doesn't matter how destroyed the phone is. They will replace it at that flat fee. No contract extension, nothing subsidized. What more could you want? Also, if I'm not mistaken, they give you 90 day limited warranty on that replacement (if your original is out of warranty) and I think (key word is think) that you may be able to buy the full AppleCare for that and extend it. It sure beats the ATT price of an early upgrade, but what can you do? They have to subsidize it.
Message 10 of 15
Professor

I told her sister (my friend. Not the one with the broken iPhone) that I find it interesting how many times I'm on the iPhone forum and hear about people going into the AT&T store to get service or otherwise ask questions about the iPhone, and it becomes apparent the AT&T person has no clue what they're talking about.

I could even live with that to a level. Everybody had to learn their jobs at some point. But the sister who works for AT&T has been working there for about 10 years, if not more. In this case, she's passing on bad information to her own sibling. I could only imagine what misinformation she's giving out to customers.
Message 11 of 15
Scholar

What is the deal with AT&T and the iPhone?I always get completely wrong information from them too. Sometimes I think they want to sabotage the iPhone. I've had them not be able to find their own store locations, give me wrong pricing, wrong technical information and so many other kinds of misinformation that I begin to think they have an agenda.

But I have to remember that famous line, "Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity."
Message 12 of 15
Professor

LOL!!! Hilarious!! I will be using that one!

Myrtlemaye, you never cease to crack me up! :smileyvery-happy:
Message 13 of 15
Contributor

Your phone is probably freezing on you because you have a 3G but have uploaded the 4.1 or 4.2 versions. According to an mac tech, he said the software was the same as putting a ferrari engine in a camry. Too powerful so it glitches.
Message 14 of 15

I would like to thank everyone for taking the time to post your comments and opinions related to this topic. This topic has been thoroughly discussed and will now be closed.

Remember to always mark posts that resolved your issue with Accept as Solution. You can even mark multiple posts in a single thread. This will help other users find this information too!  Use the Kudos Button to offer a thumbs-up for good content.

Message 15 of 15
Share this topic
Announcements

Is the iPhone X worth it? Find out why it totally is!

Find out how to track your iPhone's delivery!

Let us help you Give the Gift of AT&T Wireless this holiday season!

Additional Support