charge for free apps on the backflip

Contributor

charge for free apps on the backflip

the app, Where, comes loaded on the backflip but there is $2.99/month fee to use it yet it is listed as a "free" app on the android marketplace. thought i could download the free app but it is blocked :-(((

anyone know of a workaround?

Message 1 of 13 (3,222 Views)
Teacher

Re: charge for free apps on the backflip

$2.99 a month fee?? Where did you see this at? And also how did you see it in the Market?

It doesnt show up for me here.. There was a post on one of the android forums I follow a week or so ago asking how to upgrade it to 1.9 since it didnt show up in the market..

I decided to check mine and mine is already updated to 1.9. Ive used it a couple times but I was never informed I was going to be charged 2.99 a month to use it unlike say AT&T Navigator..

Message 2 of 13 (3,186 Views)
Mentor

[ Edited ]

http://www.where.com/att-faq/

The app is free, using it (with an AT&T phone) is $2.99/month.

Looks like the developers of the app have sold out to AT&T for licensing fees.

Message 3 of 13 (3,171 Views)
Mentor

[ Edited ]

BTW - google maps will search for local businesses based on your location and it is free.

If you have run the Where app and did not scroll down to view the complete terms of service you have started a subscription. Visit:

http://www.att.com/directbill

to view your subscriptions and cancel them.

You have to enter your phone number and a verification text is sent to your phone.

Message 4 of 13 (3,169 Views)
Contributor

@mothra, marvin02 is correect - if you are using the at&t app then check your bill. i was able to see the where app on the android marketplace via my computer but you are correct that it doesn't appear on the phone.

@marvin02 - yes i do use google but just thought i would like to try the where app & found it surprising that at&t was able to charge for an app that is available for free to everyone else.  kinda strange to me.

Message 5 of 13 (3,144 Views)
Scholar

I just checked on my backflip and there is a 7 day free trial on "where"! After the 7 days if you don't cancel you will be charged $2.99 a month to use "where"! Hope this helps! :-)

Message 6 of 13 (3,134 Views)
Teacher

Well crap thanks for the warning!! I dont think Ive actually used it for anything yet but I have opened it, and even put it on my home screen the other day just in case.

Awesome guess I opened it for the first time March 25th so they were getting ready to bill me for it.

Just got a prorated $1.00 out of the 2.99 sent back to my account even.

Bad AT&T BAD!!!

Message 7 of 13 (3,095 Views)
Mentor

I e-mailed the developers of Where and was told that 'contractual obligations' keep them from making Where available for the backflip in the market. Hope they are getting plenty of loot from AT&T because I will never use any app that they develop.

Can anybody who has tried Where on the Backflip post here whether the AT&T version has ads?

Message 8 of 13 (3,070 Views)
Teacher

[ Edited ]

I honestly dont think I got farther then just the opening screen with all the various icons and from what i remember there were no ads (sorry but I wont open it ever again to check hehe)...

I got far enough to realize 'Oh this is what Apple made Sherlock into on Mac OS X'. Thought it would be neat but once again Im glad someone said something otherwise I wouldve probably just paid my bill every month and never knew I was paying an extra $2.99 a month for it!

Message 9 of 13 (3,065 Views)

Thanks for pointing this out.  AT&T have done a nice job of keeping that little fact a secret. 

Message 10 of 13 (2,806 Views)
Teacher

I'm thinking that 2 years with AT&T might be too much for me. I'm not happy about paying for Voice dialing let alone some of the other services that should be free. Will wait and see what OS 2.1 brings.

Message 11 of 13 (1,062 Views)
Mentor

Why are you paying for VoiceDialing? The BackFlip has VD built-in and its free

Message 12 of 13 (969 Views)
Highlighted
Teacher

In my state it's illegal to text or hold your phone to your ear while driving. To get hands free voice dialing limited to 10 (maybe 20) contacts costs $9.99 per month extra. The "free" version is pretty useless if I have to take my eyes off the road to wake my phone and tap the app to use it. Defeats the purpose.

Message 13 of 13 (964 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.