changing phone number (area code) to one that makes sense for the customer

Contributor

changing phone number (area code) to one that makes sense for the customer

this is the second go phone i have purchased where the random number generator has given me the wrong area code. i gave the right zip code during activation and you would think it would give you an area code that is closest to the zip code but nope. the first go phone i had even gave me an area code that wasnt even in the same state and i was stuck with it for over a year. (you could only imagine how annoying that was for giving out my number)

today i called gophone customer service and asked for a number change for the new phone i just bought but to no avail. the woman on the other end said that i can only change it to the same area code that was out of state! eventually i just gave up

i would love to know why it is so hard to change my area code and number to one that makes sense to where i live and one where i wont get weird questions as to why i have a wisconsin area code when i live in the twin cities of minnesota.

the area code i have now is for for eastern minnesota (651) and i would like one that is in the western twin cities (952) i would call customer service again but im afraid i'll get the same answer as before

Message 1 of 3 (1,906 Views)
Scholar

Re: changing phone number (area code) to one that makes sense for the customer

I suggest you just get a Google Voice number with the area code you want and forward calls and messages to your GoPhone number. Heck, this way if you get fed up with AT&T, you could easily keep your GV number without having to deal with the hassle of number porting.
Message 2 of 3 (1,893 Views)
Contributor

Re: changing phone number (area code) to one that makes sense for the customer

ok

so i bought this phone today... meaning i havent added anything to my balance yet.

if i just bought a new SIM card and put in a different zip code (one that is further west than my current one) upon activation would that work? i know it's a waste of like 5 bucks but it's better than paying 15 for a number switch

do all SIM cards assign a new phone number? are all 3g pre paid SIM cards the same?

Message 3 of 3 (1,885 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.