Wireless Forums

Posted Oct 9, 2010
3:11:31 PM
View profile
captivate - email works *sometimes*

I have a comcast and gmail account on my captivate. The gmail works most of the time, but not always. The comcast forget about it, rarely works.

My signal is okay. Even when I'm out and about and catching different signal strengths it doesn't help. I've been through a few factory resets and I know my account configuration is good according to what at&t recommends.

My setting for checking email is set to 5 minutes.

I'm pretty sure everything on the phone is set up properly which is why I'd like to know if anyone else experienced this issue and what if anything they did to resolve it.

I have a comcast and gmail account on my captivate. The gmail works most of the time, but not always. The comcast forget about it, rarely works.

My signal is okay. Even when I'm out and about and catching different signal strengths it doesn't help. I've been through a few factory resets and I know my account configuration is good according to what at&t recommends.

My setting for checking email is set to 5 minutes.

I'm pretty sure everything on the phone is set up properly which is why I'd like to know if anyone else experienced this issue and what if anything they did to resolve it.

captivate - email works *sometimes*

13 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Cancel
Submit
Replies
(13)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 9, 2010 3:47:59 PM
(0)
Employee

Are you having trouble with sending/receiving email on the device? 

Also I do know there was a recent firmware update for the phone as well. 

Is this only happening when you are connected to the AT&T network?

Are you having trouble with sending/receiving email on the device? 

Also I do know there was a recent firmware update for the phone as well. 

Is this only happening when you are connected to the AT&T network?

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: captivate - email works *sometimes*

2 of 14 (2,436 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 11, 2010 8:35:09 AM
(0)
Master

Instead of setting up your gmail account using the EMAIL app, set it up using the GMAIL app on the phone.

The GMAIL app on the phone is push, while the email app is fetch.

Set up your comcast account to pop to your gmail account, so that you are in effect getting push from the comcast account also, but into your gmail. That's what I do :smileyhappy:

Or you can set up a gmail account specifically to pop your comcast account (e.g., pick same user name, but will have @gmail.com suffix instead of @comcast.net). Then add this into your GMAIL app. The GMAIL app accepts multiple gmail accounts.

Then go into Market and get GMAIL Notifier, which you can configure notifications specific to each GMAIL account, e.g., account1 will have RED icon in status bar with Tweet notification, account2 will be BLUE with Piano notification, etc.

Instead of setting up your gmail account using the EMAIL app, set it up using the GMAIL app on the phone.

The GMAIL app on the phone is push, while the email app is fetch.

Set up your comcast account to pop to your gmail account, so that you are in effect getting push from the comcast account also, but into your gmail. That's what I do :smileyhappy:

Or you can set up a gmail account specifically to pop your comcast account (e.g., pick same user name, but will have @gmail.com suffix instead of @comcast.net). Then add this into your GMAIL app. The GMAIL app accepts multiple gmail accounts.

Then go into Market and get GMAIL Notifier, which you can configure notifications specific to each GMAIL account, e.g., account1 will have RED icon in status bar with Tweet notification, account2 will be BLUE with Piano notification, etc.

Posted from my Samsung Captivate

3 of 14 (2,354 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 12, 2010 1:32:15 PM
(0)
Teacher

It doesn't matter if I'm on or off the network. The problem is both sending and receiving. On my comcast account (which is the worse offender) my email would just sit in my outbox. Sometimes I would just sit at "Sending outgoing messages" indefinately.

HOWEVER - I called at&t support a few days ago (about the 3rd time calling for this issue) and they seem to have fixed it. They took me off the network and registered my phone on to it again. Day 3 and I'm not having any email issues.

It doesn't matter if I'm on or off the network. The problem is both sending and receiving. On my comcast account (which is the worse offender) my email would just sit in my outbox. Sometimes I would just sit at "Sending outgoing messages" indefinately.

HOWEVER - I called at&t support a few days ago (about the 3rd time calling for this issue) and they seem to have fixed it. They took me off the network and registered my phone on to it again. Day 3 and I'm not having any email issues.

4 of 14 (2,317 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 26, 2010 6:25:40 AM
(0)
Teacher

I figured I'll bring this up again since there might be new members/experiences since I originally posted the subject..

My problem is pretty much exclusively with my comcast account (on or off the network - does not matter). It will not download email most of the time. I find that sometimes to remedy the problem I have to delete the email account and then re-create it which is not normal. Even doing that doesn't work sometimes. As an example, right now I'm sitting at a "downloading messages" screen for the past hour, and same thing happened last night when I tried the process.

I guess my big question is for anyone who experienced the same issues with comcast and managed to get the update, did it fix your problem? Supposedly there are email fixes included in the patch.

I figured I'll bring this up again since there might be new members/experiences since I originally posted the subject..

My problem is pretty much exclusively with my comcast account (on or off the network - does not matter). It will not download email most of the time. I find that sometimes to remedy the problem I have to delete the email account and then re-create it which is not normal. Even doing that doesn't work sometimes. As an example, right now I'm sitting at a "downloading messages" screen for the past hour, and same thing happened last night when I tried the process.

I guess my big question is for anyone who experienced the same issues with comcast and managed to get the update, did it fix your problem? Supposedly there are email fixes included in the patch.

5 of 14 (2,119 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 26, 2010 8:28:36 AM
(0)
Master

rs2004 wrote:

I have two comcast accounts, which I "pop" into a gmail account. My comcast accounts are legacy accounts so I never email to/from them.

Seriously, if you're on an Android device, you should take advantage of gmail's push feature rather than relying on the email app's "fetch/pull" feature.

If you're concerned with your contact list in comcast, I think you can just export it and then import into your gmail account.

There are so many features you can take advantage of once you do that. Currently, I'm training the BF (non-geek) to accept my Calendar invites to events he needs to know about, like when we have hair cut appts and when my mom is going to visit, etc.

A whole new world has opened up for me now that I can easily send things to his calendar! LOL

But seriously, gmail push rocks. My company won't let me get exchange on my personal phone and I don't want their crappy work phones, so, I've set up rules in my outlook to automatically forward VIP emails to my gmail. I never miss any important emails, even if I don't have exchange.

Just work with what you have instead of against. You will be happier in the long run!

Good luck.

rs2004 wrote:

I have two comcast accounts, which I "pop" into a gmail account. My comcast accounts are legacy accounts so I never email to/from them.

Seriously, if you're on an Android device, you should take advantage of gmail's push feature rather than relying on the email app's "fetch/pull" feature.

If you're concerned with your contact list in comcast, I think you can just export it and then import into your gmail account.

There are so many features you can take advantage of once you do that. Currently, I'm training the BF (non-geek) to accept my Calendar invites to events he needs to know about, like when we have hair cut appts and when my mom is going to visit, etc.

A whole new world has opened up for me now that I can easily send things to his calendar! LOL

But seriously, gmail push rocks. My company won't let me get exchange on my personal phone and I don't want their crappy work phones, so, I've set up rules in my outlook to automatically forward VIP emails to my gmail. I never miss any important emails, even if I don't have exchange.

Just work with what you have instead of against. You will be happier in the long run!

Good luck.

6 of 14 (2,095 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 27, 2010 4:34:12 PM
(0)
Teacher

Yeah, that's what I ended up doing. I don't understand how they can sell a product with features that are un-useable...

Thanks for your post.

Yeah, that's what I ended up doing. I don't understand how they can sell a product with features that are un-useable...

Thanks for your post.

7 of 14 (2,019 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 29, 2010 9:55:51 AM
(0)
Teacher

Zandora,

Do you have a link on instructions on how to set up the second gmail (proxy) account? I thought I did it correctly, but it can't be. I have the standard gmail icon which I want to keep as my regular gmail account, and I created a shortcut (gmail label) for my comcast/gmail account. The problem is it remembers the last account I opened no matter which icon I tap on. I would think they should be completely independant of each other when opening.

Thanks

Zandora,

Do you have a link on instructions on how to set up the second gmail (proxy) account? I thought I did it correctly, but it can't be. I have the standard gmail icon which I want to keep as my regular gmail account, and I created a shortcut (gmail label) for my comcast/gmail account. The problem is it remembers the last account I opened no matter which icon I tap on. I would think they should be completely independant of each other when opening.

Thanks

8 of 14 (1,947 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 29, 2010 10:31:10 AM
(0)
Master
Edited by Zandora on Oct 29, 2010 at 10:32:29 AM

So do you have BOTH your gmail accounts set up using the GMAIL app?

If yes, then you want to go into the add widgets process but choose Shortcuts instead of Widgets:
Shortcuts

Gmail Label

Select the inbox for the comcast/gmail addy

Repeat for the 2nd gmail addy.

Then you will have icons for both inboxes on your desktop.

If you additionally install GMAIL NOTIFIER, then you can set up separate notifications for each gmail addy in your notification bar as well as separate notification sounds.

With Gmail Notifier you can do the following (in addition to the shortcut icons above)

Example:

Gmail account 1 --

Icon Notification in notification bar = Red @ symbol

Notification Alert = Tweeters

Gmail account 2 --

Icon Notification = Blue Gmail icon

Notificaiton alert = Piano

I have 5 gmail accounts...all with separate colors/alerts. Very useful for me.

So do you have BOTH your gmail accounts set up using the GMAIL app?

If yes, then you want to go into the add widgets process but choose Shortcuts instead of Widgets:
Shortcuts

Gmail Label

Select the inbox for the comcast/gmail addy

Repeat for the 2nd gmail addy.

Then you will have icons for both inboxes on your desktop.

If you additionally install GMAIL NOTIFIER, then you can set up separate notifications for each gmail addy in your notification bar as well as separate notification sounds.

With Gmail Notifier you can do the following (in addition to the shortcut icons above)

Example:

Gmail account 1 --

Icon Notification in notification bar = Red @ symbol

Notification Alert = Tweeters

Gmail account 2 --

Icon Notification = Blue Gmail icon

Notificaiton alert = Piano

I have 5 gmail accounts...all with separate colors/alerts. Very useful for me.

[ Edited ]
9 of 14 (1,936 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 31, 2010 6:16:15 PM
(0)
Teacher

Thank you Zandora. I followed your instructions and now I'm getting all my email. I just now wish gmail would get my comcast mail received faster on their server. But hey, I'm getting my mail now so I'm somewhat satisfied for that.

Thank you Zandora. I followed your instructions and now I'm getting all my email. I just now wish gmail would get my comcast mail received faster on their server. But hey, I'm getting my mail now so I'm somewhat satisfied for that.

10 of 14 (1,852 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 31, 2010 8:24:29 PM
(0)
Master
You're welcome. If you keep background sync on, as soon as the comcast account pops into your gmail, you'll get it on your phone.

I think you can set up your gmail pop online to check frequently, which would then push faster to your phone. I'll check tomorrow when I log into my computer and let you know how to do it, if it is at all possible.

You're welcome. If you keep background sync on, as soon as the comcast account pops into your gmail, you'll get it on your phone.

I think you can set up your gmail pop online to check frequently, which would then push faster to your phone. I'll check tomorrow when I log into my computer and let you know how to do it, if it is at all possible.

11 of 14 (950 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 31, 2010 8:50:34 PM
(0)
Teacher

Yeah, I checked at gmail and unfortunately you can't set their check new mail interval. Sometimes it takes up to an hour for me to get my email on my phone, but usually a little less.

Yeah, I checked at gmail and unfortunately you can't set their check new mail interval. Sometimes it takes up to an hour for me to get my email on my phone, but usually a little less.

12 of 14 (947 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 1, 2010 9:40:10 AM
(0)
Master

You're right. No interval for setting for popping.

But, hopefully, your comcast email is now getting reliably to your phone.

I really like gmail myself, as I like threaded emails, so I really didn't mind changing over to gmail.

You're right. No interval for setting for popping.

But, hopefully, your comcast email is now getting reliably to your phone.

I really like gmail myself, as I like threaded emails, so I really didn't mind changing over to gmail.

13 of 14 (917 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 1, 2010 7:09:41 PM
(0)
Teacher

It's okay. It just stinks to have to wait so long for email. Anyway, thanks for all your help and great advice. I'm sure I'll be back lurking about.

It's okay. It just stinks to have to wait so long for email. Anyway, thanks for all your help and great advice. I'm sure I'll be back lurking about.

14 of 14 (892 Views)