can't use captivate while plugged in to USB?

Teacher

can't use captivate while plugged in to USB?

[ Edited ]

i'm a former HTC tilt 1 user (winmobile)

with that phone i had bought a generic USB car lighter adapter and had no problem using that to charge the phone and i could still use it while it was charging.

It really worked out great, i could charge at home with a wall adapter, in the car with a usb power adapter and at work by plugging in to my computer.

With the captivate i just got a screen that said it was connected via usb but i couldn't get back to the main menu.

Did they program the wall adapter with some kind of a chip or something that basically forces you to buy an overpriced charger in order to be able to charge and use the phone at the same time?

Message 1 of 10 (4,915 Views)
Teacher

Re: can't use captivate while plugged in to USB?

never mind, i just had to change usb settings under settings > applications and change it from kies to mass storage.

after that it doesn't lock it in MTP mode so you can use the phone while it's charging.

You also need to do that for this phone to be seen by windows 7 x64 apparently.

otherwise i was just getting a driver installation failure.

Message 2 of 10 (4,891 Views)
Contributor

Thanks for posting your fix.  Just switched from iCrap 4 to the Captivate.  Not being able to use it while charging would have been a game changer.  My Win7 x64 did recognize/install it fine without changing the USB settings.

Message 3 of 10 (4,531 Views)
Master

There are 4 choices for the USB setting in Captivate:

1. Kies

2. Media Player

3. Mass Storage

4. PC Internet

If you're running anything Vista or later, you don't need drivers for #2 and #3. #2 works better if you simply want to sync music or video from WMP. For #3, you have to manually mount/unmount in order for the mass storage to be accessible from PC. If you're running XP, you may need to download drivers from Samsung USA website.

For #1, it is used by Kies software which requires a different driver that is included in Kies.

For #4, aka tethering, you also need the driver that is included in Kies or you can download from other places. The driver posted on Samsung USA website does not support Kies or tethering.

Message 4 of 10 (4,509 Views)
Contributor

ive tried using all 4 options.. and its sill not be recognized on my laptop. im running on windows 7 also.

i just got the phone today.. n idk if im happy with it so far..ughhhh

SOMEONE PLZZ HELP!!!!

Message 5 of 10 (4,358 Views)
Teacher

[ Edited ]

after picking the mass storage option you need to swipe down on the status bar at the top, press usb storage then mount.

after that it should show up as a drive under start > computer

Message 6 of 10 (4,280 Views)
Tutor

Hmmm  when I use the Samsung OEM charger, the phone works fine while charging.  However if I use another charger that I own, the phone locks up - I can't unlock the screen.  When I unplug the charger I can use the phone again.  Doesn't seem to matter wht option I set for USB connection.

Anyone else?

Message 7 of 10 (3,462 Views)
Tutor

had a similar problem with a USB cable I used for my former phone (Incite).  If I used the USB cable that came with the Captivate, all is fine... if I use the other cable, my pc doesn't recognize that anything is plugged in... though the phone does indicate that it's charging.

I'm not sure if it's a seating problem since it appears that the captivate uses a much thinner wrap around the micro end then any other USB cable I've come across (about half as thick)... so other than the OEM cable, nothing seems to fit quite as well.

Message 8 of 10 (3,280 Views)
Master

joedv wrote:

had a similar problem with a USB cable I used for my former phone (Incite).  If I used the USB cable that came with the Captivate, all is fine... if I use the other cable, my pc doesn't recognize that anything is plugged in... though the phone does indicate that it's charging.

I'm not sure if it's a seating problem since it appears that the captivate uses a much thinner wrap around the micro end then any other USB cable I've come across (about half as thick)... so other than the OEM cable, nothing seems to fit quite as well.

Your problem is caused by the MicroUSB cable not fully plugged in. Standard microUSB cable won't really fit the hole on the Captivate unless you shave off the extra plastics. I've successfully modified two other microUSB cables I have using a box cutter and both worked fine for all functionality.

Message 9 of 10 (3,172 Views)
Highlighted
Tutor

Thanks for the confirmation foxbat... good to know before I start shaving down cables.  Smiley Happy

Message 10 of 10 (3,058 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.