can I get an HTC Tilt2 without a data plan?

Mentor

can I get an HTC Tilt2 without a data plan?

I have the AT&T Tilt, right now, and don't use the data plan at all.  In fact, the main reason I got it was for the camera, as a PDA replacement (believe it or not, PDAs don't need 3G internet to be useful - just look at the Palm TX and below), and for the keyboard.  I wouldn't mind having internet connectivity, but at $720.00 for the two years that I'd be tied to it ($30.00 * 24), it's not worth it.  I'd rather save that money to buy a new phone two years later than I would pay for internet.

So, long story short, I'm not getting a phone with a $30.00 / month data plan and, to be honest, I'd sooner switch providers than do that.  T-Mobile sells the HTC Touch Pro2 for $350.00 without the data plan requirement AT&T has (I'll have to ask a T-Mobile rep to make sure).  And even if T-Mobile wasn't an option, I'd still rather pay an extra $200.00 for an HTC Touch Pro2 off of eBay ($500.00 - the $300.00 the HTC Tilt2 costs) than I would pay $720.00 over the course of two years.  Besides, last I checked, $720 > $500.
Message 1 of 19 (9,272 Views)

Re: can I get an HTC Tilt2 without a data plan?

[ Edited ]
alas....no...you are required to have a data plan with any AT&T smartphone as of september. same goes for every other carrier, including t-mobile.
Message Edited by demonic_pascal on 11-03-2009 07:38:06 PM
Message 2 of 19 (9,269 Views)
Mentor

Re: can I get an HTC Tilt2 without a data plan?

It looks like you're right - I just tried to go through the motions of buying the HTC Tilt2 from t-mobile.com and got a "T-Mobile Smartphone Unlimited Web" added automatically, even though I didn't check it's checkbox.

 

I actually edited the MEedia Net connection on my AT&T Tilt and changed wap.cingular to wap.cingular.bad so as to prevent even accidental data access and have never had any problems, so T-Mobile's "a data service is needed in order for the phone to work properly" is quite bogus.  Sure, the HTC Tilt2 isn't the HTC TyTN II, but I don't expect them to be all that different.

Message 3 of 19 (9,251 Views)

Re: can I get an HTC Tilt2 without a data plan?

Yea I had a Sprint Touch Pro that had been deactivated that I had been just using as a PDA w/ WiFi for a few months before I got my Pure. Everything works fine except for services that require a cell connection, like, you know, making calls. Its really lame that all the carriers go an milk their customers like that now, and while I won't deny the convenience of being able to get online and check my mail wherever I am, data plans in the UK cost the equivalent of $6.50 a month.
Message 4 of 19 (9,201 Views)

Re: can I get an HTC Tilt2 without a data plan?


demonic_pascal wrote:
Yea I had a Sprint Touch Pro that had been deactivated that I had been just using as a PDA w/ WiFi for a few months before I got my Pure. Everything works fine except for services that require a cell connection, like, you know, making calls. Its really lame that all the carriers go an milk their customers like that now, and while I won't deny the convenience of being able to get online and check my mail wherever I am, data plans in the UK cost the equivalent of $6.50 a month.

That's because they don't employ subsidies in the UK.  How much are their phones?  And how much do their voice services cost?  I think in the end, they come out to be close...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Samsung Galaxy Note 3
Prev. devices: SGS, Note 2, SGS3, Galaxy Nexus, T-Mobile, G2x, iPhone4, HTC HD2, HTC Fuze, HTC StarTrek, BB Bold
Message 5 of 19 (9,193 Views)

Re: can I get an HTC Tilt2 without a data plan?

[ Edited ]

That's because they don't employ subsidies in the UK.

 

Odd...cuz I'm on O2 UK's website right now and they're selling the Palm Pre for free on a two year contract for the equivalent of $56.50. Which includes 600 minutes, 500 texts, and unlimited data...

 

And considering a 450 minute AT&T plan starts @ $40, plus $30 for data, and $5 for only 200 texts, which brings the total to $75 for less minutes and texts, plus the up front cost of your smartphone.

 

So, if we take the $40 for voice and $5 for text, and not bother to increase the numbers to do the better deal on O2, and subtract it from the $56.50, we get $11.50 for unlimited data, with a FREE PHONE.

 

Equal? I think not...

 

Message Edited by demonic_pascal on 11-04-2009 11:30:57 AM
Message 6 of 19 (9,174 Views)

Re: can I get an HTC Tilt2 without a data plan?


demonic_pascal wrote:

That's because they don't employ subsidies in the UK.

 

Odd...cuz I'm on O2 UK's website right now and they're selling the Palm Pre for free on a two year contract for the equivalent of $56.50. Which includes 600 minutes, 500 texts, and unlimited data...

 

And considering a 450 minute AT&T plan starts @ $40, plus $30 for data, and $5 for only 200 texts, which brings the total to $75 for less minutes and texts, plus the up front cost of your smartphone.

 

So, if we take the $40 for voice and $5 for text, and not bother to increase the numbers to do the better deal on O2, and subtract it from the $56.50, we get $11.50 for unlimited data, with a FREE PHONE.

 

Equal? I think not...

 

Message Edited by demonic_pascal on 11-04-2009 11:30:57 AM

 

Aren't you limited to where and whom you can call?  According to the TOS:

 

"Calls made in the UK to 0500, 0505, 055, 056, 080 and 082 numbers are charged at 15p/min at all times. 07744, 07755, 0844, 0845 & 0870 numbers are charged at 25p/min at all times. 0871 numbers are charged at 35p/min at all times."  So, the monthly voice allotment can be easily more than the $57/month. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Samsung Galaxy Note 3
Prev. devices: SGS, Note 2, SGS3, Galaxy Nexus, T-Mobile, G2x, iPhone4, HTC HD2, HTC Fuze, HTC StarTrek, BB Bold
Message 7 of 19 (9,142 Views)
Scholar

Re: can I get an HTC Tilt2 without a data plan?

I've done alot of checking the last couple of months and the best bargain around right now is Sprint and the everything plan.  I'm leaving ATT today and getting an HTC Hero which is Sprints first android phone.  Att will be the last of the big 4 to get android.  I have played with this phone alot and I'll tell you it seems alot more user friendly than any winmo p\hone I have ever used. Maybe ATT will eventually get smart and see the light Sprint dropped their rate now T Mobile who will be next.  My original reason for a smart phone was for spreadsheets I didn't need the internet.  So Adios ATT.  I hope alot of tohter people follow.
Message 8 of 19 (9,085 Views)

Re: can I get an HTC Tilt2 without a data plan?

Aren't you limited to where and whom you can call?

 

Hmm...good point. Obviously I don't live in the UK so I'm not really sure how that would affect the overall monthly fee. Regardless I'd still hold that US carriers charge far more for wireless services than most everyone else. At least up front.

Message 9 of 19 (9,075 Views)
Scholar

Re: can I get an HTC Tilt2 without a data plan?

Just to note, all incoming calls are free in the UK, the caller pays the cost of the calls. Here both parties can potentially pay, the caller and the recepient.

Message 10 of 19 (9,070 Views)

Re: can I get an HTC Tilt2 without a data plan?

Just to note, all incoming calls are free in the UK, the caller pays the cost of the calls. Here both parties can potentially pay, the caller and the recepient.

 

Haha that'd save me a lot of minutes,,,

Message 11 of 19 (3,559 Views)

Re: can I get an HTC Tilt2 without a data plan?

   Just to add a little humor to all of this:  If I call myself on my cell phone, will I get charged outgoing and incoming for that call?  :-)
Message 12 of 19 (3,552 Views)
Master

Re: can I get an HTC Tilt2 without a data plan?


hardhat harry wrote:
Just to add a little humor to all of this: If I call myself on my cell phone, will I get charged outgoing and incoming for that call? :-)

Not unless you're calling yourself in a parallel universe. Smiley Tongue If you dial your number of the cell phone you're calling from, you get your voicemail. Just billed once for that, fortunately, although some have other comments on that. Smiley Wink

Message 13 of 19 (3,541 Views)
Scholar

Re: can I get an HTC Tilt2 without a data plan?


demonic_pascal wrote:

Just to note, all incoming calls are free in the UK, the caller pays the cost of the calls. Here both parties can potentially pay, the caller and the recepient.

 

Haha that'd save me a lot of minutes,,,


 

If I'm not mistaken, the whole Europe is like that.

 

Message 14 of 19 (3,521 Views)
Guru

Re: can I get an HTC Tilt2 without a data plan?

I like that idea.  I hate receiving unsolicited calls.  I'm on the "do not call list", but still get a few here and there, and while I never come close to using all my minutes, the thought of being "charged" for an incoming call I don't want really galls me....
Message 15 of 19 (3,478 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.

Additional Support