can I get an HTC Tilt2 without a data plan?

Mentor

can I get an HTC Tilt2 without a data plan?

I have the AT&T Tilt, right now, and don't use the data plan at all.  In fact, the main reason I got it was for the camera, as a PDA replacement (believe it or not, PDAs don't need 3G internet to be useful - just look at the Palm TX and below), and for the keyboard.  I wouldn't mind having internet connectivity, but at $720.00 for the two years that I'd be tied to it ($30.00 * 24), it's not worth it.  I'd rather save that money to buy a new phone two years later than I would pay for internet.

So, long story short, I'm not getting a phone with a $30.00 / month data plan and, to be honest, I'd sooner switch providers than do that.  T-Mobile sells the HTC Touch Pro2 for $350.00 without the data plan requirement AT&T has (I'll have to ask a T-Mobile rep to make sure).  And even if T-Mobile wasn't an option, I'd still rather pay an extra $200.00 for an HTC Touch Pro2 off of eBay ($500.00 - the $300.00 the HTC Tilt2 costs) than I would pay $720.00 over the course of two years.  Besides, last I checked, $720 > $500.
Message 1 of 19
Contributor

Re: can I get an HTC Tilt2 without a data plan?

Well, yes, you can.  You just have to go to an actual store and fork out the $499.00 for the "no commitment" price and they will sell it to you.
Message 16 of 19
Teacher

so all in all...lets say you get a tilt 2 for a decent price, at less than the "no commitment price", will the phone still be functional if you switch over your sim card with the existing plan? honestly, if i wanted somthing with data plan i probably woulda switch over to sprint Smiley Tongue

Message 17 of 19
Teacher

not really....as of now ATT can detect which model phone you are using as soon as you send or recieve cellular data (like a phone call, text message, etc...) so they can and will find that you are using a "smartphone" and hit you with their nice $30 data bill at the end of the month.

Message 18 of 19
Highlighted
Contributor

Really? does it happen when you have data turned off on the device as well?

Message 19 of 19
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Find the Unlimited Plan that works best for you at our Knowledge Sharing Session: Whole Lotta' Data Going On on Wed. 6/28 from 1-4pm ET / noon-3pm CT / 10am-1pm PT!

Find out the very latest about the new iPad Pros!

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?

Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

Additional Support