Wireless Forums

Posted Jan 8, 2012
1:29:58 AM
View profile
both of our 3gs iphones keep saying "no service" and "searching"

My husband and i both have an iphone 3gs. we have had them for a couple years now with no problems. Today both of our phones started losing service. It goes from full service to searching, then to no service, and back to searching before returning to full service. When the issue started I was at home connected to our wi fi and my husband was over a half hour's drive away at work connected to 3G. I have taken the SIM card out of mine, reset network settings, toggled 3g and airplane mode but nothing has worked. any suggestions?

My husband and i both have an iphone 3gs. we have had them for a couple years now with no problems. Today both of our phones started losing service. It goes from full service to searching, then to no service, and back to searching before returning to full service. When the issue started I was at home connected to our wi fi and my husband was over a half hour's drive away at work connected to 3G. I have taken the SIM card out of mine, reset network settings, toggled 3g and airplane mode but nothing has worked. any suggestions?

both of our 3gs iphones keep saying "no service" and "searching"

9 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Cancel
Submit
Replies
(9)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 8, 2012 3:37:03 AM
(0)
Professor

have you heald the power button and home button for 10 seconds to force the hard reset?  do not use the slider to power off the iphone.  also try a a restore sometimes  the software get corrupted  this might help if the hard reset fails.

if all else fails make a appointment with the Genius bar to have apple look into it. maybe it's time for a up grade to a 4S iphone,

a link to the Genius bar

http://www.apple.com/retail/geniusbar/

have you heald the power button and home button for 10 seconds to force the hard reset?  do not use the slider to power off the iphone.  also try a a restore sometimes  the software get corrupted  this might help if the hard reset fails.

if all else fails make a appointment with the Genius bar to have apple look into it. maybe it's time for a up grade to a 4S iphone,

a link to the Genius bar

http://www.apple.com/retail/geniusbar/

hello!!!

Re: both of our 3gs iphones keep saying "no service" and "searching"

2 of 10 (5,607 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 8, 2012 5:42:07 AM
(0)
Guru

Since it's affecting both phones it could possibly be an AT&T network problem. I would check with any friends or neighbors who use AT&T wireless to see if they are having connection problems, too.

grandmalou wrote:

Since it's affecting both phones it could possibly be an AT&T network problem. I would check with any friends or neighbors who use AT&T wireless to see if they are having connection problems, too.

grandmalou wrote:

3 of 10 (5,587 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 8, 2012 6:14:06 AM
(0)
Contributor

i asked two fellow at&t users if they were having problems. so far no one has any trouble. I don't know anyone else who is still in the dark ages with us. most of my friends have iphone 4 or 4s

i asked two fellow at&t users if they were having problems. so far no one has any trouble. I don't know anyone else who is still in the dark ages with us. most of my friends have iphone 4 or 4s

4 of 10 (5,583 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 8, 2012 1:11:19 PM
(0)
Master

I would agree it sounds like a network issue and not your iPhones.  Call ATT and have them check on the network in your area.

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

I would agree it sounds like a network issue and not your iPhones.  Call ATT and have them check on the network in your area.

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
Posted from my iPhone _____________________________ For service or support questions including existing order status, call: Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500 Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser: https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

5 of 10 (5,556 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 8, 2012 1:12:18 PM
(0)
Master
It may be isolated to some towers near you and not wide spread.

It may be isolated to some towers near you and not wide spread.

Posted from my iPhone _____________________________ For service or support questions including existing order status, call: Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500 Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser: https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

6 of 10 (5,555 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 8, 2012 1:30:43 PM
(0)
Contributor

we stopped by the att store after church today. the employee took a sim card from one of their demo phones and put it in our phones. that worked so she put our original sim cards back in our phones and now they work just like normal. thanks for the input everybody

we stopped by the att store after church today. the employee took a sim card from one of their demo phones and put it in our phones. that worked so she put our original sim cards back in our phones and now they work just like normal. thanks for the input everybody

7 of 10 (5,549 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 8, 2012 2:10:54 PM
(0)
Master

It is odd that both your phones SIMS went bad at the same time but the fix of getting a new SIM is a common solution.

Glad you are back up and running.

It is odd that both your phones SIMS went bad at the same time but the fix of getting a new SIM is a common solution.

Glad you are back up and running.

8 of 10 (5,541 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 9, 2012 8:17:10 AM
(0)
Tutor
I had the exact same problem on jan 2. Apple genius discovered the sim was bad. Replaced it @ AT&T store & no prob since.
I had the exact same problem on jan 2. Apple genius discovered the sim was bad. Replaced it @ AT&T store & no prob since.

9 of 10 (5,507 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 18, 2012 12:22:26 PM
(0)
Contributor

My iPhone 4 started doing this 2 nights ago.  I've tried restores and even had the sim replaced but it does not fix the problem.  The iPhone 4s do this too but a somewhat successful update fixed some of them.  However no update is out yet for the iPhone 4.  I have to turn off "Cellular Data" otherwise my phone goes into searching mode every 10 seconds.  So for now I have an expensive iTouch. :smileysad:   Going to try a "restore to factory settings" followed by an iTunes restore and see if that helps.   There are some HUGE threads at apple on this subject.  If the factory settings does not work I might try another sim card.  But given that tricks or software updates (4s) fixed this problem, why is Apple (or whomever) not owning up to this problem?

My iPhone 4 started doing this 2 nights ago.  I've tried restores and even had the sim replaced but it does not fix the problem.  The iPhone 4s do this too but a somewhat successful update fixed some of them.  However no update is out yet for the iPhone 4.  I have to turn off "Cellular Data" otherwise my phone goes into searching mode every 10 seconds.  So for now I have an expensive iTouch. :smileysad:   Going to try a "restore to factory settings" followed by an iTunes restore and see if that helps.   There are some HUGE threads at apple on this subject.  If the factory settings does not work I might try another sim card.  But given that tricks or software updates (4s) fixed this problem, why is Apple (or whomever) not owning up to this problem?

10 of 10 (5,358 Views)