Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Highlighted
Posted Feb 25, 2011
10:38:26 AM
View profile
blocking spam text messages

I recently switched to GoPhone Pay as you go plan, so now text messages cost me 20 cents each. Texting is not part of my life ... I will get maybe one legit text per month and that is from my employer's emergency notification system.

I don't want to pay for the unsolicited text spam messages I get ... and I seem to be getting more. How do I block all text messages except the ones from the phone numbers and/or short codes I want?

I signed up for something at http://mymessages.wireless.att.com/ that gives me different blocking options, but I don't really see what I want ... I only seem to be able to block/allow texts from email addresses, not numbers or short codes.

I recently switched to GoPhone Pay as you go plan, so now text messages cost me 20 cents each. Texting is not part of my life ... I will get maybe one legit text per month and that is from my employer's emergency notification system.

I don't want to pay for the unsolicited text spam messages I get ... and I seem to be getting more. How do I block all text messages except the ones from the phone numbers and/or short codes I want?

I signed up for something at http://mymessages.wireless.att.com/ that gives me different blocking options, but I don't really see what I want ... I only seem to be able to block/allow texts from email addresses, not numbers or short codes.

blocking spam text messages

5 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(5)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 25, 2011 7:44:14 PM
(0)
Master

Unfortunately there is no service that will allow you to do that (only whitelist certain numbers).

Unfortunately there is no service that will allow you to do that (only whitelist certain numbers).

Re: blocking spam text messages

2 of 6 (2,544 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 25, 2011 11:52:15 PM
(0)
Employee

you can also forward these messages to 7726 (SPAM) to report them and possibly stop them as well (i've seen spam decrease from customers who use this option)

also, a number change can work as well. 

also depending on what phone you have you might be able to block from people not in your contacts, few phones do this...very few phones, but it's worth a check

you can also forward these messages to 7726 (SPAM) to report them and possibly stop them as well (i've seen spam decrease from customers who use this option)

also, a number change can work as well. 

also depending on what phone you have you might be able to block from people not in your contacts, few phones do this...very few phones, but it's worth a check

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

3 of 6 (2,532 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 26, 2011 12:59:40 AM
(0)
Teacher
Check into smart limits for $4.99. It allows u to block up to 10 numbers at once
Check into smart limits for $4.99. It allows u to block up to 10 numbers at once

4 of 6 (2,528 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 26, 2011 1:01:15 AM
(0)
Master

JFizDaWiz wrote:

Even if a phone has the ability to blacklist/whitelist numbers from messaging, they would still be charged for each message even if they didn't read them as the messages were delivered to the phone.   The blocking would have happened after delivery.

JFizDaWiz wrote:

Even if a phone has the ability to blacklist/whitelist numbers from messaging, they would still be charged for each message even if they didn't read them as the messages were delivered to the phone.   The blocking would have happened after delivery.

5 of 6 (2,527 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 26, 2011 1:02:19 AM
(0)
Master

techguru2011 wrote:

Smart Limits will not work on pre-paid.  It's only available on post-paid plans.

techguru2011 wrote:

Smart Limits will not work on pre-paid.  It's only available on post-paid plans.

6 of 6 (2,526 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments