best service provider

Contributor

best service provider

Att claims they have speeds up at 7.2 and bown 3.1 all the other carriers are slower at 3.1 up and 1.5 down does anyone really know if att out performs the others.

Message 1 of 6 (2,976 Views)
Scholar

Re: best service provider

V041023 wrote:
Att claims they have speeds up at 7.2 and bown 3.1 all the other carriers are slower at 3.1 up and 1.5 down does anyone really know if att out performs the others.

Here is my experience. I am in the final month of my AT&T contract. My card was an old one, and needed replaced. My card started shorting out my computer when it wasn't on the 3g network, Ithink the EDGE radio was going out. They wanted $49.99 for a replacement. Sprint would give me a card for $29.99 and I had 30 days to return it, so I figured I'd give them a try. (that and the new 5 gig cap on data)
I've been using the Sprint card for about a week now. 23 months with AT&T. My card, being an older one, was only capable of 3.1 anyway, so that will affect my experience.

I'm a truck driver, and I get into some pretty remote places. I'll say that first. With my AT&T card I had an EDGE connection probably six days a week out of 7, just because I generally don't hang out in metropolittan areas where AT&T's 3g service is. EDGE was normally about double dial-up.  I know this is an AT&T board, but this is my honest opinion of my first week and a half. As I'm writing this, in a remote area about 30 miles south of Interstate Highway 40, west of Wilmington NC, my card is as fast as my AT&T card ever was, even in a 3G area. Along the highway, I can go to movielink.com and grab a 90 minute video file in less than an hour. (btw,that site lets you watch it as it downloads, very cool.) The sprint card is amazing.  I can play first person shooter games in middle of nowhere with 90 pings, which is about what I get on my DSL line at home.  I hate to bash AT&T they gave me two years of service and I gladly paid for it. but for my use, i'm better off with Sprint.
Message 2 of 6 (2,890 Views)
Scholar

V041023 wrote:

Where do they claim this? You mean 7.2 down and 3.1 up? Still, where do they claim this? I have seen pipe dream news articles over a year old claiming that AT&T will start offering 7.2mbs HSDPA but nothing official from AT&T ever stating that it is operational as such. Even with HSUPA, 2.1mbs is the maximum theoretical limit by any existing hardware you can currently buy. The newer devices are capable of 7.2mbs down but I have yet to even see 3.6mbs down and I have never heard of more than 800kbs or so in the upload direction from anyone who has a HSUPA capable device. With recent events such as a 5GB soft cap being implemented, the between the lines story to me at least is that they have oversold for the capacity of the backbone itself and heaven help us if the iPhone gets HSDPA capability! Victim of it's own success?

The best isp is not a cellular data one to be brutally honest with you, the latency is still a bit high. I went with DSL as a stopgap until I can get FiOS since I have been stationary again for a few years.
Message 3 of 6 (2,883 Views)
Scholar

Can not say about other carriers, but in my area I recently checked my up and down speeds with a AT&T USB 881 and they came back in the range of 1.4 to 1.6 up and 5.6 to 6.0 down.  My area has 3G coverage.  Site is www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/
Message 4 of 6 (2,856 Views)
Scholar

bsmith15 wrote:
Can not say about other carriers, but in my area I recently checked my up and down speeds with a AT&T USB 881 and they came back in the range of 1.4 to 1.6 up and 5.6 to 6.0 down. My area has 3G coverage. Site is www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/

Finally, someone who has seen the higher speeds. Thanks for coming forward.
Message 5 of 6 (2,854 Views)
Scholar

Davesworld wrote:

bsmith15 wrote:
Can not say about other carriers, but in my area I recently checked my up and down speeds with a AT&T USB 881 and they came back in the range of 1.4 to 1.6 up and 5.6 to 6.0 down. My area has 3G coverage. Site is www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/

Finally, someone who has seen the higher speeds. Thanks for coming forward.

Yeah he'll hit the 5 gig cap in 5 hours instead of 5 days!
Message 6 of 6 (2,811 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.