Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Nov 11, 2011
1:08:25 PM
View profile
auto package renewal fails, & I lose my rollover balance

I signed up for automatic feature renewal for the 1000 text messaging plan. It's been working fine these last few months, but suddenly, I got a charge of 20 cents today. I logged in to my account and saw that I have no feature package now, but my package auto-renews tomorrow, and in the meantime, I've lost my entire rollover balance for text messages.

This is actually the second time this happened to me. What is the point of offering this option if it doesn't work and actually screws over your customers? I just don't understand.

And I can never get customer support because I'm on prepaid. I tried calling, and I never got to speak with a live rep. They couldn't even help me when I went into a store. This is getting on my last nerve. Who can I contact to fix this, and what options are available to me?

I signed up for automatic feature renewal for the 1000 text messaging plan. It's been working fine these last few months, but suddenly, I got a charge of 20 cents today. I logged in to my account and saw that I have no feature package now, but my package auto-renews tomorrow, and in the meantime, I've lost my entire rollover balance for text messages.

This is actually the second time this happened to me. What is the point of offering this option if it doesn't work and actually screws over your customers? I just don't understand.

And I can never get customer support because I'm on prepaid. I tried calling, and I never got to speak with a live rep. They couldn't even help me when I went into a store. This is getting on my last nerve. Who can I contact to fix this, and what options are available to me?

auto package renewal fails, & I lose my rollover balance

17 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(17)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 11, 2011 3:14:12 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
You can contact customer service directly from your phone by dialing 611 and when prompted what to do next at the main menu, state "more options" > "customer service". The system will get confused and transfer you to a live representative who can help you with your auto renewal question/issue.

Another alternative would be to dial 1-800-331-0500 from another telephone.

Personally, I do not recommend auto renewal, as I feel more confident refilling my account myself and purchasing feature packages on my own accord. It can be convenient at times, but your issue has proven to be more than an inconvenience than and actual benefit. Smiley Indifferent

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

You can contact customer service directly from your phone by dialing 611 and when prompted what to do next at the main menu, state "more options" > "customer service". The system will get confused and transfer you to a live representative who can help you with your auto renewal question/issue.

Another alternative would be to dial 1-800-331-0500 from another telephone.

Personally, I do not recommend auto renewal, as I feel more confident refilling my account myself and purchasing feature packages on my own accord. It can be convenient at times, but your issue has proven to be more than an inconvenience than and actual benefit. Smiley Indifferent

:cathappy: Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 :cathappy:

Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: auto package renewal fails, & I lose my rollover balance

2 of 18 (1,110 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 15, 2011 3:24:09 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by hme83 on Nov 15, 2011 at 3:25:35 PM

sarsar wrote:

As already mentioned, call 611 - state "more options" and then "customer service" - the system will connect you to a live rep after a couple of menu prompts.

After using the auto-renewal option for my messaging plan for quite some time, I had the exact same experience - almost a year ago on the dot (11/16/2010 - lol - obviously it was traumatic since I remember the exact date).  I've subsequently stopped using the auto-renewal option for the feature plans, and you may want to to do so as well. 

Customer service did restore my feature plan balance, so hopefully they will do the same for you; but they indicated it was a one-time "courtesy" adjustment.  Since I can no longer trust their system to do what they advertise it will or trust that customer support will stand behind the customer when at&t's systems fail, like you I see no point to using it to "simplify" things.  (The customer service rep actually suggested as a "solution" that I call every month immediately prior to the renewal date and have customer service check to ensure their system hadn't "kicked off in the background". Smiley Sad )

=^..^=
There must be a happy medium somewhere between being totally informed and blissfully unaware.

- Doug Larson

sarsar wrote:

As already mentioned, call 611 - state "more options" and then "customer service" - the system will connect you to a live rep after a couple of menu prompts.

After using the auto-renewal option for my messaging plan for quite some time, I had the exact same experience - almost a year ago on the dot (11/16/2010 - lol - obviously it was traumatic since I remember the exact date).  I've subsequently stopped using the auto-renewal option for the feature plans, and you may want to to do so as well. 

Customer service did restore my feature plan balance, so hopefully they will do the same for you; but they indicated it was a one-time "courtesy" adjustment.  Since I can no longer trust their system to do what they advertise it will or trust that customer support will stand behind the customer when at&t's systems fail, like you I see no point to using it to "simplify" things.  (The customer service rep actually suggested as a "solution" that I call every month immediately prior to the renewal date and have customer service check to ensure their system hadn't "kicked off in the background". Smiley Sad )

=^..^=
There must be a happy medium somewhere between being totally informed and blissfully unaware.

- Doug Larson

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

[ Edited ]
3 of 18 (1,080 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 18, 2011 8:07:03 AM
(0)
Professor
Edited by Patico on Nov 18, 2011 at 8:08:41 AM

at&t really needs to address this issue and fix it ASAP!. The whole point of autorenewal is having piece of mind and this defeats its purpose.

I have 3 separate GoPhone lines (with different area codes) with auto renewal set for a feature package each (data or text ). It was working fine for the last few months in all of them until now in November.  Suddenly I noticed that the packages had expired beacuse the auto renewal didn't kick in on time as the system had set the auto renewal date two days later that the expiration date from October to November. This didn't happen before. I had to make a couple of calls and after painfully explaning and demostrating to the CSRs that it was NOT MY FAULT in every single case they finally agreed to restore what I have lost and what I've been charged for.

The funny thing is that in each call they told me that this was an isolated incident as my line (the one I made at each time the call for) seemed to be the only one affected and that they never heard of anyone else complaning. Ok. I must buy now a lotto ticket because I, among millions of GoPhone users, hit the jackpot here 3 different times with this "isolated incident" during the same month.

Looking at the logs of when the auto recharge took effect each time in October, it seems that the problem is not how the autorenewal feature calculated the date for November, but rather how the expiration date for the package was set when replenished in October. I suspect that autorenewal feature calculated in October the new date in November correctly (30 days from that date) but the expiration date for the packages for Noverber was set somehow for 29 days instead of the regular 30, setting it for a day earlier that it should have been and this must have affected everybody. This may go easily unnoticed to those recharging manually but really affects those with the auto renewal feature active. This problem didn't happen during the last few months months and it seems not to affect the dates already set for December either.

I'd like to know If someone here with autorenewal active didn't have the same issue this month.

When working ok, the autorenewal date is set the day after the scheduled expiration of the package but this kicks in soon after midnight before the expiration is enforced a little later. Now I'll  have to carefully check every month and compare the package expiration date and the autorenewal date to make sure they agree. Smiley Mad

at&t really needs to address this issue and fix it ASAP!. The whole point of autorenewal is having piece of mind and this defeats its purpose.

I have 3 separate GoPhone lines (with different area codes) with auto renewal set for a feature package each (data or text ). It was working fine for the last few months in all of them until now in November.  Suddenly I noticed that the packages had expired beacuse the auto renewal didn't kick in on time as the system had set the auto renewal date two days later that the expiration date from October to November. This didn't happen before. I had to make a couple of calls and after painfully explaning and demostrating to the CSRs that it was NOT MY FAULT in every single case they finally agreed to restore what I have lost and what I've been charged for.

The funny thing is that in each call they told me that this was an isolated incident as my line (the one I made at each time the call for) seemed to be the only one affected and that they never heard of anyone else complaning. Ok. I must buy now a lotto ticket because I, among millions of GoPhone users, hit the jackpot here 3 different times with this "isolated incident" during the same month.

Looking at the logs of when the auto recharge took effect each time in October, it seems that the problem is not how the autorenewal feature calculated the date for November, but rather how the expiration date for the package was set when replenished in October. I suspect that autorenewal feature calculated in October the new date in November correctly (30 days from that date) but the expiration date for the packages for Noverber was set somehow for 29 days instead of the regular 30, setting it for a day earlier that it should have been and this must have affected everybody. This may go easily unnoticed to those recharging manually but really affects those with the auto renewal feature active. This problem didn't happen during the last few months months and it seems not to affect the dates already set for December either.

I'd like to know If someone here with autorenewal active didn't have the same issue this month.

When working ok, the autorenewal date is set the day after the scheduled expiration of the package but this kicks in soon after midnight before the expiration is enforced a little later. Now I'll  have to carefully check every month and compare the package expiration date and the autorenewal date to make sure they agree. Smiley Mad

[ Edited ]
4 of 18 (1,063 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 18, 2011 9:14:09 AM
(0)
Scholar

Patico wrote:

Same here. I've got 3 separate lines with feature package auto-renewal since it's hard to manually keep track of which phone gets which feature package on which date. Just yesterday, the 600+ message balance on my dad's line disappeared from his account. Not really up to the task of wasting time calling CSR since he only uses around 50~100 messages per month. However, I did cancel auto-renew on all 3 lines yesterday and synchronized renewal of the text and data feature packages on all of the lines so I only have to do the renewal once a month (well, I set up the reminder for once every 28 days to be sure). Losing the messaging balance wasn't a big deal but I sure wouldn't want any of the lines to lose their data balance.

Patico wrote:

Same here. I've got 3 separate lines with feature package auto-renewal since it's hard to manually keep track of which phone gets which feature package on which date. Just yesterday, the 600+ message balance on my dad's line disappeared from his account. Not really up to the task of wasting time calling CSR since he only uses around 50~100 messages per month. However, I did cancel auto-renew on all 3 lines yesterday and synchronized renewal of the text and data feature packages on all of the lines so I only have to do the renewal once a month (well, I set up the reminder for once every 28 days to be sure). Losing the messaging balance wasn't a big deal but I sure wouldn't want any of the lines to lose their data balance.

5 of 18 (1,057 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 18, 2011 11:10:09 AM
(0)
Professor

Thanks for all your posts. This will help a lot of people who are contemplating autorenewal.

Thanks for all your posts. This will help a lot of people who are contemplating autorenewal.

6 of 18 (1,046 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 19, 2011 8:21:08 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Patico wrote:

Hey - it's great to see you again, Patico!!  Smiley Happy

Agreed - they certainly do need to get to the bottom of it and get it corrected, as my "problem" was exactly a year ago.  Makes me think they have correctly accounted for the rest of the 31 day months out of the year, but their programming specifically for the renewal in October is not correct.  Like you, I'd used it for a number of months without any issue - certainly spanning other 31 day months - prior to encountering the problem *last* November.

The difference I had when I contacted customer service was she seemed to fairly readily see that the issue was nothing I had caused - and she even stated that while this doesn't happen "all the time", I certainly wasn't an isolated case either.  She said their autorenewal system just "kicks off in the background sometimes for some unknown reason".  That made it that much more frustrating when she indicated she could only restore my messaging balance "one time, as a courtesy adjustment only" - so she recommended I contact customer service every month immediately before the autorenewal was to take place, so they could "check their background systems to make sure autorenewal is still turned on for your account".  (She said it isn't something I can tell from looking at my on-line account myself.)  I have no way of knowing how much (or little) or what she told me is accurate; but it's frustrating to know that a year later they still haven't resolved the issue.  What she offered as a "solution" was no solution. Smiley Sad

=^..^=

- Doug Larson

Patico wrote:

Agreed - they certainly do need to get to the bottom of it and get it corrected, as my "problem" was exactly a year ago.  Makes me think they have correctly accounted for the rest of the 31 day months out of the year, but their programming specifically for the renewal in October is not correct.  Like you, I'd used it for a number of months without any issue - certainly spanning other 31 day months - prior to encountering the problem *last* November.

The difference I had when I contacted customer service was she seemed to fairly readily see that the issue was nothing I had caused - and she even stated that while this doesn't happen "all the time", I certainly wasn't an isolated case either.  She said their autorenewal system just "kicks off in the background sometimes for some unknown reason".  That made it that much more frustrating when she indicated she could only restore my messaging balance "one time, as a courtesy adjustment only" - so she recommended I contact customer service every month immediately before the autorenewal was to take place, so they could "check their background systems to make sure autorenewal is still turned on for your account".  (She said it isn't something I can tell from looking at my on-line account myself.)  I have no way of knowing how much (or little) or what she told me is accurate; but it's frustrating to know that a year later they still haven't resolved the issue.  What she offered as a "solution" was no solution. Smiley Sad

=^..^=

- Doug Larson

7 of 18 (1,024 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 21, 2011 6:54:35 AM
(0)
Professor
Edited by Patico on Nov 21, 2011 at 6:55:56 AM

hme83 wrote:

Yes,Thanks.  It's been a while. It took a big screw up by at&t on my GoPhone lines to make me return here.Smiley Wink

I still have the SMS alerts I got from them:

"AT&T Free Msg: your data package expires on 11/13/11..."

and then 

"AT&T Free Msg: your acct will be debited for $5.00 on 11/15/11..."

I didn't pay attention to the bigger date discrepancy since I've noticed before that the expiration date and the renewal date differ always by one day and it had worked without problem before, but this time it was a 2-day difference. Back in October, the expirationm date was 10/14/11 and the autorenewal set for 10/15/11. Same with the previous months and no problem.

The first time I used autorenewal I got a little nervous because of this but then I noticed that on or around 1am CST after the expiration date (i.e, on the autorenewal set date) the autorenewal kicks in every month and it doesn't let the package expire ( I think the system enforce the expiration of the packages a couple of hours later ). Well, not this time since it was more than a 24-hour discrepancy.

Someone in at&t must take a look at this problem and fix it or remove the autorenewal option it they are incapable of calculating dates correctly.

hme83 wrote:

Yes,Thanks.  It's been a while. It took a big screw up by at&t on my GoPhone lines to make me return here.Smiley Wink

I still have the SMS alerts I got from them:

"AT&T Free Msg: your data package expires on 11/13/11..."

and then 

"AT&T Free Msg: your acct will be debited for $5.00 on 11/15/11..."

I didn't pay attention to the bigger date discrepancy since I've noticed before that the expiration date and the renewal date differ always by one day and it had worked without problem before, but this time it was a 2-day difference. Back in October, the expirationm date was 10/14/11 and the autorenewal set for 10/15/11. Same with the previous months and no problem.

The first time I used autorenewal I got a little nervous because of this but then I noticed that on or around 1am CST after the expiration date (i.e, on the autorenewal set date) the autorenewal kicks in every month and it doesn't let the package expire ( I think the system enforce the expiration of the packages a couple of hours later ). Well, not this time since it was more than a 24-hour discrepancy.

Someone in at&t must take a look at this problem and fix it or remove the autorenewal option it they are incapable of calculating dates correctly.

[ Edited ]
8 of 18 (994 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 23, 2011 12:35:55 PM
(0)
Scholar

I have not had a problem with auto data renewal until this month.  My data package expires 11/28 and the auto renewal date is 11/30.  I will have to take care of it manually this time, to make sure that I don't lose my data.  I hope that AT&T gets this fixed.

I have not had a problem with auto data renewal until this month.  My data package expires 11/28 and the auto renewal date is 11/30.  I will have to take care of it manually this time, to make sure that I don't lose my data.  I hope that AT&T gets this fixed.

9 of 18 (968 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 23, 2011 2:35:01 PM
(0)
Scholar

Update:  I just called customer service and told them that my data plan expires on 11/28 and the auto renewal is scheduled for 11/30.  They canceled the 11/30 renewal and then added it back on for 11/29.  Therefore, the problem is solved, at least for now.  I will continue to watch my account carefully.

Update:  I just called customer service and told them that my data plan expires on 11/28 and the auto renewal is scheduled for 11/30.  They canceled the 11/30 renewal and then added it back on for 11/29.  Therefore, the problem is solved, at least for now.  I will continue to watch my account carefully.

10 of 18 (961 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 26, 2011 5:38:45 AM
(0)
Tutor

Thanks for all the posts here. I, too, got caught up by the failure of auto renewal. I had over 700 texts that had rolled over from previous months, but noticed my $ balance had dropped down. It was because I had been charged for 26 texts yesterday. The bottom of the summary page no longer listed my texting plan and the 700+ text balance. I will be calling them today to get my texting charges back AND get my 700 text balance back. Luckily my data renews two days after texting, so I was able to hold onto my data balance by renewing manually. I did see that the renewal date was after the expiration date by two days, so I would have had to fight with them over that too. I am going to cancel auto renewal and just do it myself, I think that is the only way to make sure you keep your balance.

Thanks for all the posts here. I, too, got caught up by the failure of auto renewal. I had over 700 texts that had rolled over from previous months, but noticed my $ balance had dropped down. It was because I had been charged for 26 texts yesterday. The bottom of the summary page no longer listed my texting plan and the 700+ text balance. I will be calling them today to get my texting charges back AND get my 700 text balance back. Luckily my data renews two days after texting, so I was able to hold onto my data balance by renewing manually. I did see that the renewal date was after the expiration date by two days, so I would have had to fight with them over that too. I am going to cancel auto renewal and just do it myself, I think that is the only way to make sure you keep your balance.

11 of 18 (798 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 26, 2011 7:19:09 AM
(0)
Tutor

OK here's my update after calling India. The nice young lady I spoke with COULD NOT restore my 700 messages. The only thing she could offer me was to reimburse the charges I received for the texts for yesterday. That is not doing me any favor... I wouldn't have rec'd those charges if their auto renewal worked properly. So I am out the 700 messages....thank god I renewed my data myself and didn't have to argue with them over that. My other option is call back and get someone else, but really I think I have learned my lesson and will just renew my own pkgs. I think they should REMOVE the auto renewal feature completely if it doesn't work properly.. I mean what is the point of having auto renew if you lose your carryover balance? Who wants to lose their balance?.... NO ONE!!! Why are they are offering a feature that doesn't work...and then NOT standing behind their word and restoring lost balances if they have a glitch??  Renewing the day AFTER the plan expires is not RENEWING. Please check your expiration dates and renewal dates, the computer program for auto renewal needs to be re-written,  somebody should use a calendar this time.

OK here's my update after calling India. The nice young lady I spoke with COULD NOT restore my 700 messages. The only thing she could offer me was to reimburse the charges I received for the texts for yesterday. That is not doing me any favor... I wouldn't have rec'd those charges if their auto renewal worked properly. So I am out the 700 messages....thank god I renewed my data myself and didn't have to argue with them over that. My other option is call back and get someone else, but really I think I have learned my lesson and will just renew my own pkgs. I think they should REMOVE the auto renewal feature completely if it doesn't work properly.. I mean what is the point of having auto renew if you lose your carryover balance? Who wants to lose their balance?.... NO ONE!!! Why are they are offering a feature that doesn't work...and then NOT standing behind their word and restoring lost balances if they have a glitch??  Renewing the day AFTER the plan expires is not RENEWING. Please check your expiration dates and renewal dates, the computer program for auto renewal needs to be re-written,  somebody should use a calendar this time.

12 of 18 (790 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 26, 2011 7:54:22 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
Yep, this is just another of the many reasons not to use auto renewal. It can be nice at times, but I would rather have personal control over my account balance, features, and everything else.

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Yep, this is just another of the many reasons not to use auto renewal. It can be nice at times, but I would rather have personal control over my account balance, features, and everything else.

:cathappy: Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 :cathappy:

Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010

13 of 18 (787 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 27, 2011 4:02:02 AM
(0)
Scholar

Dr. Richard Kimble wrote:

I had the same problem with my wife's phone. Data was to expire 12/5 and renewal was set for 12/7. I called and they did the same, cancel the 12/7 and added it back on for 12/6. They could give no explanation for this happening.

Dr. Richard Kimble wrote:

I had the same problem with my wife's phone. Data was to expire 12/5 and renewal was set for 12/7. I called and they did the same, cancel the 12/7 and added it back on for 12/6. They could give no explanation for this happening.

14 of 18 (762 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 27, 2011 8:00:46 AM
(0)
Contributor

I just called ATT support over this same issue.  My data plan should have renewed on 11/21 but did not renew until 11/22, so I lost about 50MB rollover and $15 in data charges for that day.  My text plan had the same issue - it should have renewed yesterday, but renewed today and I lost 350+ rollover messages. 

On my initial call, the $15 in data charges was reversed and then my call was dropped as they transferred me to a supervisor.  I called back and after a long hold was actually transferred to a supervisor. Elmer credited 100 MB and 400 text messages back to my account and said that this was a known issue - he typically gets one call a day about it.

This whole process took about an hour.  I'll be double checking my renewal dates from now on.

I just called ATT support over this same issue.  My data plan should have renewed on 11/21 but did not renew until 11/22, so I lost about 50MB rollover and $15 in data charges for that day.  My text plan had the same issue - it should have renewed yesterday, but renewed today and I lost 350+ rollover messages. 

On my initial call, the $15 in data charges was reversed and then my call was dropped as they transferred me to a supervisor.  I called back and after a long hold was actually transferred to a supervisor. Elmer credited 100 MB and 400 text messages back to my account and said that this was a known issue - he typically gets one call a day about it.

This whole process took about an hour.  I'll be double checking my renewal dates from now on.

15 of 18 (753 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 11, 2012 9:30:29 PM
(0)
Contributor

I guess I should have learned my lesson in November when I wasted 2 hours of my life on the phone trying to get my data and messages back when the automatic feature renewal didn't work due to the well documented date discrepancy issue.  It took me threatening to call my attorney general before the lady (I have all the names and times documented) would even admit the problem was on their end. (they were actually so bold as to claim that I used a huge amount of data and exactly the number of texts I had left all in 1 day) When she called back to admit they were at fault, she assured me it would not happen again.  This month I noticed there was a discrepancy in the dates (expiration vs renewal date) again so I called twice this past week to make sure everything would be ok. (again, I have the names and times written down for when I file my complaint )  Yesterday (Feb. 10th) I was charged for the text and message plans I have set up for autorenewal and I mistakenly thought that everything was ok.  When I went to go to bed tonight, I checked my phone in case anyone in my famliy had texted and found 2 texts from ATT from noon today saying that my message and data plans were removed yesterday. I checked my data balance to make sure nothing was messed up there and it now reads that I have 0 KB even though they charged me yesterday.  Of course they never post an e-mail address so I will need to waste more of my life on the phone with them tomorrow. This time I will follow thru with notifying my attorney general and local news station of the constant issues.  It will be a hassle and take time but I suggest others do the same since it it clear that ATT has no intention of fixing this problem. The only reason I can see for them NOT fixing it is the extra money they are making off of people.  Anyone thinking of using automatic renewal....take the advice of others and DO NOT use it.

I guess I should have learned my lesson in November when I wasted 2 hours of my life on the phone trying to get my data and messages back when the automatic feature renewal didn't work due to the well documented date discrepancy issue.  It took me threatening to call my attorney general before the lady (I have all the names and times documented) would even admit the problem was on their end. (they were actually so bold as to claim that I used a huge amount of data and exactly the number of texts I had left all in 1 day) When she called back to admit they were at fault, she assured me it would not happen again.  This month I noticed there was a discrepancy in the dates (expiration vs renewal date) again so I called twice this past week to make sure everything would be ok. (again, I have the names and times written down for when I file my complaint )  Yesterday (Feb. 10th) I was charged for the text and message plans I have set up for autorenewal and I mistakenly thought that everything was ok.  When I went to go to bed tonight, I checked my phone in case anyone in my famliy had texted and found 2 texts from ATT from noon today saying that my message and data plans were removed yesterday. I checked my data balance to make sure nothing was messed up there and it now reads that I have 0 KB even though they charged me yesterday.  Of course they never post an e-mail address so I will need to waste more of my life on the phone with them tomorrow. This time I will follow thru with notifying my attorney general and local news station of the constant issues.  It will be a hassle and take time but I suggest others do the same since it it clear that ATT has no intention of fixing this problem. The only reason I can see for them NOT fixing it is the extra money they are making off of people.  Anyone thinking of using automatic renewal....take the advice of others and DO NOT use it.

16 of 18 (690 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 21, 2012 12:39:29 PM
(0)
Contributor

Exactly the same problem as the others. My data plan was due to renew on 2-21, or so the text messages indicated; ATT reps told me that it was either supposed to renew yesterday (2-20); and when confronted with the text messages, said that it could have renewed on the first minute of 2-21; this caused 700 mb of data to 'expire' which they obstinately refused to refund despite the fact every message I have from them tells me that my data plan expires on 2-21 (which is today). ATT reps have been exceptionally bad about all of this.

I don't really care about the data - but it's that particular feeling of being brazenly ripped off, an unapologetic sanctimoniousness ("We didn't need to inform you when your plan expires, the text message was courtesy") that just makes it clear that ATT will not listen to reason; they have their internal 'logic' to which you must conform, or else you must take your business elsewhere.

I've complained to the FCC. My suspicion is, however, that ATT needs the ministrations of not the FCC as much as FTC - in particular, its bureau of competition. 

Exactly the same problem as the others. My data plan was due to renew on 2-21, or so the text messages indicated; ATT reps told me that it was either supposed to renew yesterday (2-20); and when confronted with the text messages, said that it could have renewed on the first minute of 2-21; this caused 700 mb of data to 'expire' which they obstinately refused to refund despite the fact every message I have from them tells me that my data plan expires on 2-21 (which is today). ATT reps have been exceptionally bad about all of this.

I don't really care about the data - but it's that particular feeling of being brazenly ripped off, an unapologetic sanctimoniousness ("We didn't need to inform you when your plan expires, the text message was courtesy") that just makes it clear that ATT will not listen to reason; they have their internal 'logic' to which you must conform, or else you must take your business elsewhere.

I've complained to the FCC. My suspicion is, however, that ATT needs the ministrations of not the FCC as much as FTC - in particular, its bureau of competition. 

17 of 18 (670 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 21, 2012 2:36:23 PM
(0)
Scholar

I now keep a close eye on mine.  I c&p the data renewal info before the date comes and I keep a copy on my computer in the event that I have to prove that the dates were correct before the data was due for renewal.

I now keep a close eye on mine.  I c&p the data renewal info before the date comes and I keep a copy on my computer in the event that I have to prove that the dates were correct before the data was due for renewal.

18 of 18 (665 Views)