att mifi only allows wifi when not charging..

Contributor

att mifi only allows wifi when not charging..

i was able to connect to my myfi for about a week, after that the myfi device will not allow anything to connect to the internet unless you charge it then run it off the bat. i updated the firmware the day i got it... whats the problem?

Message 1 of 4

Re: att mifi only allows wifi when not charging..

Gallas,

Unfortunately, from what I have read in various forums on the web, this is the way the device was designed to work. If you have it plugged into a USB port on a computer, I believe it flips itself into USB Modem mode, like a AirCard device, and only provides network services to the one device you have it plugged into. I'm assuming you would need something like "AT&T Communication Manager" software to use it in that mode, and it wouldn't allow sharing of the connection with any other devices.

The good news is that I have seen some notes on the web about how to alter a standard USB cable to remove the data wires from the mix and make the Mifi think it is plugged into the AC charger even when it is plugged into a PC. Some report that this has allowed them to use it as a wifi router even while it is plugged into the computer USB port to charge. I have not tried this yet as my MiFi should get here today, but I can promise I'll be trying to figure this out as soon as I get mine..

On a side note, if you search for "Mifi 2372 Extended Battery" you can find a company that sells a 12 hour battery with larger battery cover that is made for this device. It is about $90 to b uy one, but bringing the battery life to 12 hours might just be worth it if we can't figure out how to get the thing to charge and act as a router at the same time..

Let me know if you try any of these options!

MrSimmonsSr

Message 2 of 4
Contributor

Hi, I saw your comments about the MiFi and not being able to use it except on the batteries....

I have been using a ATT MiFi for two months now.  The manual states " Ensure that the device is charged or connected to an electrical outlet"    I have no problems staying connected all day long using the AC charger that comes with the MiFi unit.  

The manual doesn't say it can be powered from a USB port.  

My main usage is in house for business and very seldom do we use it on the road.  When we do...it is as a fully charge unit or again by plugging in into it's battey charger which come with the unit.  

Something for you to think about.  

Good luck.

May the good lord take a liken' to ya.

Deamer!

Message 3 of 4

The problem doesn't happen when you plug into the AC adapter. It only happens when you plug into a USB port on a PC.. FYI
Message 4 of 4
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?

Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

Additional Support