Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Jan 11, 2012
10:29:44 PM
View profile
att 2wire home WiFi won't allow new Ipad2 to connect to network

unable to connect new Ipad2 to home ATT 2wire WiFi net work.

unable to connect new Ipad2 to home ATT 2wire WiFi net work.

att 2wire home WiFi won't allow new Ipad2 to connect to network

5 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(5)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 12, 2012 12:46:18 PM
(0)
Professor

You'll need .to provide more information. What happens when you try to connect? Does your wifi require a password, and are you entering it correctly?

You'll need .to provide more information. What happens when you try to connect? Does your wifi require a password, and are you entering it correctly?

Re: att 2wire home WiFi won't allow new Ipad2 to connect to network

2 of 6 (4,018 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 12, 2012 5:47:10 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

I've found that my 2-Wire gateway for my U-Verse service has a few ssues with my Apple devices.  It generally starts with the iPad 2, then goes to the iPhone 4, and eventually impacts the MacBook Pro.  I used to have similar issues with my 5-6 year old LinkSys router before I got U-Verse.  For both devices, a quick "power cycle" (turn off then turn back on) resolves the problem for several weeks to months, then it happens again.  The last two times, I was able to get the 2-Wire gateway to wrk with the iPad just by telling it to disable the wireless, then after saving that setting, re-enabling the wireless feature on the gateway.  That way, it only impacts the wireless devices in teh house, and not the wired ones.

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare.

I've found that my 2-Wire gateway for my U-Verse service has a few ssues with my Apple devices.  It generally starts with the iPad 2, then goes to the iPhone 4, and eventually impacts the MacBook Pro.  I used to have similar issues with my 5-6 year old LinkSys router before I got U-Verse.  For both devices, a quick "power cycle" (turn off then turn back on) resolves the problem for several weeks to months, then it happens again.  The last two times, I was able to get the 2-Wire gateway to wrk with the iPad just by telling it to disable the wireless, then after saving that setting, re-enabling the wireless feature on the gateway.  That way, it only impacts the wireless devices in teh house, and not the wired ones.

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

3 of 6 (4,013 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 12, 2012 10:39:18 PM
(0)
Contributor

I have connected successfully with wifes Iphone as well as Toshiba lap top with finding net work and entering password (on body of 2 wire router). However when attempting to switch from 3G to wireless home net work with Ipad2, the Ipad won't offer the password login. Tried power off on 2wire router and 'Reset' on Ipad with partial success when tried to login to network but Ipad never switched to WiFi. Fortunately the 3G telephone works for connection except won't allow down load of Games or files larger than 20mb.

I have connected successfully with wifes Iphone as well as Toshiba lap top with finding net work and entering password (on body of 2 wire router). However when attempting to switch from 3G to wireless home net work with Ipad2, the Ipad won't offer the password login. Tried power off on 2wire router and 'Reset' on Ipad with partial success when tried to login to network but Ipad never switched to WiFi. Fortunately the 3G telephone works for connection except won't allow down load of Games or files larger than 20mb.

4 of 6 (4,006 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 13, 2012 6:29:08 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

You didn't enable MAC address filtering on our 2-Wire deivce did you?  I know that the recommendations used ot be to not broadcast your SSID, and to enable MAC Address filtering, but those have proven to cause more problems for you the user than for the hackers, so they are no longer recommended.  A strong WPA or WPA2 encryption key using AES is the currently recommended "best security" practice for wireless networks.  Many Apple devices don't like connecting to networks which don't broadcast their SSID and it is still very easy to et the SSID from a router with that turned off...

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

You didn't enable MAC address filtering on our 2-Wire deivce did you?  I know that the recommendations used ot be to not broadcast your SSID, and to enable MAC Address filtering, but those have proven to cause more problems for you the user than for the hackers, so they are no longer recommended.  A strong WPA or WPA2 encryption key using AES is the currently recommended "best security" practice for wireless networks.  Many Apple devices don't like connecting to networks which don't broadcast their SSID and it is still very easy to et the SSID from a router with that turned off...

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

5 of 6 (3,991 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 19, 2012 4:38:22 AM
(0)
Mentor
This is a common issue with 2wire routers, and N channel protocol 802.11 radios. If you want the best solution for getting sold known problematic wireless technology, do this:

Go buy a Time Capsule. Disable the 2wire routers radio (no wireless network or SSID broadcast...turn it off), plug the time capsule WAN connection into one of the switched ports via cat5 patch.

Give the time capsule a manual IP address that is in the same subnet as the 2Wire LAN IP address. Nothing else should be communicating directly to AT&T equipment except for the Time capsule. Configure the time capsule ( I would do this with the ios app that is published by apple in the appstorenot a Mac or pc) because the utility is very straight forward and easy to go through) to create a new network and dynamically lease the exact number of ip addresses required for all of your switched nodes that you need to provide access to the Internet.

You are now in 5GHz capable 802.11N (dual tranciever) mode, and as long as nothing gets on the network that is B or G, you should maintain close to 100Mb wireless connections to the newly designated 'router' and that cheap, and poor excuse for a router from 2Wire can't ruin your network because it can't broadcast or connect to anything via RF, and actually makes a decent modem/gateway when it is regulated to hard line connections ONLY.

The bonus is you now have NAS and backup @ 1-2 TB between all your blazing fast networked nodes.
This is a common issue with 2wire routers, and N channel protocol 802.11 radios. If you want the best solution for getting sold known problematic wireless technology, do this:

Go buy a Time Capsule. Disable the 2wire routers radio (no wireless network or SSID broadcast...turn it off), plug the time capsule WAN connection into one of the switched ports via cat5 patch.

Give the time capsule a manual IP address that is in the same subnet as the 2Wire LAN IP address. Nothing else should be communicating directly to AT&T equipment except for the Time capsule. Configure the time capsule ( I would do this with the ios app that is published by apple in the appstorenot a Mac or pc) because the utility is very straight forward and easy to go through) to create a new network and dynamically lease the exact number of ip addresses required for all of your switched nodes that you need to provide access to the Internet.

You are now in 5GHz capable 802.11N (dual tranciever) mode, and as long as nothing gets on the network that is B or G, you should maintain close to 100Mb wireless connections to the newly designated 'router' and that cheap, and poor excuse for a router from 2Wire can't ruin your network because it can't broadcast or connect to anything via RF, and actually makes a decent modem/gateway when it is regulated to hard line connections ONLY.

The bonus is you now have NAS and backup @ 1-2 TB between all your blazing fast networked nodes.

6 of 6 (3,923 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments