Wireless Forums

Posted Apr 21, 2011
7:14:43 AM
View profile
at&t iphone 4 (without no contract) unlocking

I bought an iphone 4 without contract thinking that it could be used

with any operator but now it's locked with at&t and a message "Invalid SIM"

is there a way to unlock it or does AT&T provide such a service??

at&t iphone 4 (without no contract) unlocking

11 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Cancel
Submit
Replies
(11)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 21, 2011 7:32:51 AM
(0)
Professor

I believe you need to go to a third party to unlock your phone.

I believe you need to go to a third party to unlock your phone.

Re: at&t iphone 4 (without no contract) unlocking

2 of 12 (13,798 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 21, 2011 7:36:53 AM
(0)
Professor

eric.kwizera wrote:

Why would you think this?  It clearly states on the box that the device is locked to AT&T.

No US sold iPhones are unlocked.

All US sold GSM iPhones are locked to AT&T.

All CDMA iPhones are locked to Verizon.

Neither AT&T or Apple will unlock US sold iPhones.

Return it and get your money back or find an unofficial method to unlock the device.

eric.kwizera wrote:

Why would you think this?  It clearly states on the box that the device is locked to AT&T.

No US sold iPhones are unlocked.

All US sold GSM iPhones are locked to AT&T.

All CDMA iPhones are locked to Verizon.

Neither AT&T or Apple will unlock US sold iPhones.

Return it and get your money back or find an unofficial method to unlock the device.

3 of 12 (13,794 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 23, 2011 9:32:47 PM
(0)
Scholar

It's never ending! How many posts a day are there whining that someone bought a full price/no contract iPhone expecting it to be unlockable? Does anybody read anymore? Can they read? The iPhone box, customer service summary, customer service agreement all indicate that the phone is locked to AT&T and requires AT&T service. Whining and complaining about freedom, rights and wants isn't going to work. Grow up and accept the fact that you can't always get what you want simply because you want it. Don't like the rules? Go elsewhere.

It's never ending! How many posts a day are there whining that someone bought a full price/no contract iPhone expecting it to be unlockable? Does anybody read anymore? Can they read? The iPhone box, customer service summary, customer service agreement all indicate that the phone is locked to AT&T and requires AT&T service. Whining and complaining about freedom, rights and wants isn't going to work. Grow up and accept the fact that you can't always get what you want simply because you want it. Don't like the rules? Go elsewhere.

4 of 12 (13,602 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 24, 2011 7:20:18 AM
(0)
Guru

smalcom wrote:

LOL--and I can promise you there will be plenty more such posts for months--if not years--to come...

smalcom wrote:

LOL--and I can promise you there will be plenty more such posts for months--if not years--to come...

5 of 12 (13,580 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 24, 2011 8:41:11 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

My new approach to these...

point them at the sticky they ignored when they posted:

http://forums.wireless.att.com/t5/Apple-iPhone/Important-reminder-Unauthorized-iPhone-unlocking/td-p...

Perhaps that post could be expanded just a tad to include

"No US GSM iPhone can be SIM unlocked, ever, by any carrier, or by Apple."

http://forums.wireless.att.com/t5/Apple-iPhone/Important-reminder-Unauthorized-iPhone-unlocking/td-p/1628240

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

6 of 12 (13,573 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 24, 2011 7:28:19 PM
(0)
Master

johninsj wrote:

http://forums.wireless.att.com/t5/Apple-iPhone/Important-reminder-Unauthorized-iPhone-unlocking/td-p...

How about some heuristics that try to answer the question before the post can be started?  Give an OP the option to still post but it may stop all of these repetitive posts.

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

johninsj wrote:

http://forums.wireless.att.com/t5/Apple-iPhone/Important-reminder-Unauthorized-iPhone-unlocking/td-p/1628240

How about some heuristics that try to answer the question before the post can be started?  Give an OP the option to still post but it may stop all of these repetitive posts.

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Posted from my iPhone _____________________________ For service or support questions including existing order status, call: Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500 Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser: https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

7 of 12 (13,535 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 25, 2011 5:52:41 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

I agree that there should be a sticky thread on this.  The current thread isn't going to cut it with the title including the words Unauthorized Unlocking.  Most people that ask these questions seem to think that they should be authorized to unlock the iPhone.  The title needs to be blatant, along the lines of "AT&T iPhones Will Not be Unlocked by AT&T".

I agree that there should be a sticky thread on this.  The current thread isn't going to cut it with the title including the words Unauthorized Unlocking.  Most people that ask these questions seem to think that they should be authorized to unlock the iPhone.  The title needs to be blatant, along the lines of "AT&T iPhones Will Not be Unlocked by AT&T".

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

8 of 12 (13,469 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 25, 2011 6:19:43 PM
(0)
Professor

Apple or AT&T will NOT unlock your iphone.

Apple or AT&T will NOT unlock your iphone.

hello!!!

9 of 12 (13,465 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 26, 2011 4:15:42 PM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by pamelaz on Apr 26, 2011 at 4:31:09 PM

eric.kwizera wrote:

Another innocent victim screwed by AT&T and Apple.

[Per Guidelines:  Keep it Relevant and Appropriate].

eric.kwizera wrote:

[Per Guidelines:  Keep it Relevant and Appropriate].

[ Edited ]
10 of 12 (13,363 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 26, 2011 4:39:47 PM
(0)
Professor

wireless-user wrote:

There's this thing called being an informed and educated consumer.

Frankly, if you make a goof-up like this because you choose to make certain assumptions without doing a little research, then you only have yourself to blame for being lazy, stupid, or both.

Whether we agree with AT&T and Apple on the unlocking policy is irrelevant.  The issue is that both have been abundantly clear about their stance, it is in print on the box and on both company's web sites.  There is hundreds, if not thousands of postings on both company's forums asking about unlocking these devices.  Anyone that buy's an AT&T locked iPhone and then claims to have not known before hand only has himself or herself to blame for not doing a little basic research.

wireless-user wrote:

There's this thing called being an informed and educated consumer.

Frankly, if you make a goof-up like this because you choose to make certain assumptions without doing a little research, then you only have yourself to blame for being lazy, stupid, or both.

Whether we agree with AT&T and Apple on the unlocking policy is irrelevant.  The issue is that both have been abundantly clear about their stance, it is in print on the box and on both company's web sites.  There is hundreds, if not thousands of postings on both company's forums asking about unlocking these devices.  Anyone that buy's an AT&T locked iPhone and then claims to have not known before hand only has himself or herself to blame for not doing a little basic research.

11 of 12 (7,617 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 26, 2011 4:40:44 PM
(0)
Professor
Edited by dwill05 on Apr 26, 2011 at 4:43:18 PM

Whatever, wireless user.

But let me ask, do you believe that the buyers doesn't share the least bit of responsibility in finding out whether the phone can be unlocked BEFORE they buy it and then take out out of the country?  It seems like a lot of these one-posters come from people from another country who buy US iphones because they are cheaper than buying one from their local provider and then take it home to wherever and are shocked to find out that it won't work.  If someone was spending that kind of money for a phone bought in a foreign country, wouldn't it be reasonable to expect them to find out if it would work first?  It's not like the people don't have internet access, since they join and post here.  Searching the net for 5 minutes before plonking down $600 for a no-contract phone in a foreign country would save a lot of grief for some people.

Whatever, wireless user.

But let me ask, do you believe that the buyers doesn't share the least bit of responsibility in finding out whether the phone can be unlocked BEFORE they buy it and then take out out of the country?  It seems like a lot of these one-posters come from people from another country who buy US iphones because they are cheaper than buying one from their local provider and then take it home to wherever and are shocked to find out that it won't work.  If someone was spending that kind of money for a phone bought in a foreign country, wouldn't it be reasonable to expect them to find out if it would work first?  It's not like the people don't have internet access, since they join and post here.  Searching the net for 5 minutes before plonking down $600 for a no-contract phone in a foreign country would save a lot of grief for some people.

[ Edited ]
12 of 12 (7,616 Views)