Ask a question

Posted Aug 4, 2010
10:05:58 AM
View profile
any new htc 4.3 inch andorid in the works for att?

i see these sweet, fast giant screened non wm devices but att doesnt have anything like this at the moment.

will they get something like the evo?

the best phone they have right now imo is the tilt 2 and it looks like its getting kicked to the curb as we speak.

also i am done with wm and all its issues. i will not talk my self into trying wm7. i have been down this road before.

so i think it's be nice to have the evo or maybe the droid x. does anyone know if att plans to offer us something along those lines.

does another carrier have a sweet phone i could buy and use on att that would meet my above expectations?

any new htc 4.3 inch andorid in the works for att?

17 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(17)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 4, 2010 2:12:11 PM
(0)
Scholar

Closest we have is the Samsung Captivate and its 4 inch Super AMOLED screen.

Re: any new htc 4.3 inch andorid in the works for att?

2 of 18 (3,387 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 5, 2010 7:17:55 AM
(0)
Adventurer
What about the mythical, rumored Dell Streak? 5" capacitive, Android 1.6 or 2.1 at launch, with 2.2 coming via OTA "later in the year." Lots of angst about release dates, delays, etc., but already released in UK, France, Germany, with pretty good reviews. BUT, ... not from HTC.

3 of 18 (3,327 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 5, 2010 8:35:56 AM
(0)
Scholar
I haven't seen or heard anything about a future 4.3" HTC android phone, although it's rumorerd that T-Mo may be getting a couple.

ATT is probably going to continue pushing the iPhone, the Captivate, and the new Blackberry 9800 Torch once released.

4 of 18 (3,318 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 5, 2010 8:39:30 AM
(0)
Scholar

seeker336 wrote:
What about the mythical, rumored Dell Streak? 5" capacitive, Android 1.6 or 2.1 at launch, with 2.2 coming via OTA "later in the year." Lots of angst about release dates, delays, etc., but already released in UK, France, Germany, with pretty good reviews. BUT, ... not from HTC.

I would love to get this phone, but I do not want to have to pay an extra $100 dollars to get it.  Besides the 5 inch screen, this phone (no it is not a tablet) offers nothing that separates it from the other high end Android devices.

5 of 18 (3,315 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 6, 2010 9:52:56 AM
(0)
Scholar

UHmump95 wrote:

... Besides the 5 inch screen, this phone (no it is not a tablet) offers nothing that separates it from the other high end Android devices.

That's all the difference I need.  I just wish it had a (vertical) sliding keyboard.  So now I'm torn between getting this beast or waiting for the Lightning...

6 of 18 (3,210 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 7, 2010 2:18:00 PM
(0)
Contributor

I'm currently running a HD-2 on AT&T.  I really love the Snapdragon processor, and that 4.3" capacitive screen is hard to beat.  I have recently used an Aria.  Many of the Android features are amazing.  The speech to text for text messages and emails makes the hard QWERTY keyboard from my old Tilt2 unnessary.  I wish I had that on the HD2.  The Google Navigation is the best GPS I've used.

It would be great if AT&T picked up a GSM version of the EVO 4G.   I believe that phone is the true iPhone killer. This is the main reason AT&T is steering clear of it.

HEY AT&T - GIVE US NON-APPLE USERS A BREAK !

7 of 18 (3,109 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 11, 2010 1:46:44 PM
(0)
Teacher

The Dell Streak is a nice idea but its only running Android 1.6 and the phone that I was hoping AT&T would pick up is the yet to be named/released HTC Desire HD which was unofficially announced to be going to T-Mobile next month. It has the 4.3 inch screen and 2.2 w/Sense.

8 of 18 (2,922 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 12, 2010 9:01:12 AM
(0)
Scholar

I have a Tilt2 now, nothing but problems (and it's my 3rd replacement). I was hoping for something 'cutting edge' from ATT with Android. The Streak really had my interest until it was discovered today that it will NOT be available from ATT, only Dell (and at a price that is at least $100 over where it should be). 

WM7 is also not an option, it looks childish and seems to be a major step back from MW6 in terms of user customization. I guess it's no longer about buying a device and doing what you want with it......strange when you think about it. But than, we would be devoured by numerous bugs and viruses!

9 of 18 (2,854 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 18, 2010 3:00:59 PM
(0)
Tutor

10 of 18 (2,521 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 18, 2010 3:30:54 PM
(0)
Scholar

htcfan817 wrote:

take a look and keep your fingers crossed:

http://dellandroidsmartphones.com/2010/05/06/dell-thunder-android-smartphone/

Why do manufacturers insist on adding "includes apps for facebook, etc" in their adds. Really? Also noticed Dell is noting it's "flash ready" out of the box.....

And I see they have the 'lightning' coming out 2nd Q 2011....with a 800g processor????

As for the Thunder, with no release date noted, I wonder if the processor (1g) and screen resolution will be outdated. It says 2.2 as well, but 3.0 might be out when it finally sees the light of day....

Outside of the Streak, think I'm gonna steer clear of Dell. I had issues with their computers in the past, and the criminal handling of the Streak tells me things haven't changed much.

11 of 18 (2,263 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 18, 2010 4:20:36 PM
(0)
Scholar

Technically with Apple's retina display, the screen is already outdated.  Also the only phone that was mentioned to have Froyo was the Dell Flash which is supposed to come out in 2011.  I expect the Thunder to come out with Android 1.5 or 1.6.

12 of 18 (2,257 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 18, 2010 6:18:40 PM
(0)
Scholar

UHmump95 wrote:

Technically with Apple's retina display, the screen is already outdated.  Also the only phone that was mentioned to have Froyo was the Dell Flash which is supposed to come out in 2011.  I expect the Thunder to come out with Android 1.5 or 1.6.

I have no way of verifying the post, but it states 2.2 'possibly'. Gotta love the 'most powerful' line, if that's the case, Dell might as well give up (unless this comes of yesterday)

The Dell Thunder mobile phone is the most powerful amongst the new Dell smartphones. It is set to be a high-end Android smart phone possibly running the new Froyo 2.2 Android OS and a 4.1-inch WVGA OLED screen with a resolution of 800 x 480 pixels.'

13 of 18 (2,242 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 28, 2010 11:22:07 PM
(0)
Scholar

sweet, it looks like i can still post here.

pardon me if i ramble a bit, but i think i may have something worth saying

i have been a user of att or cingular since 2002 or so and i just recently left to go to sprint, i dint think they'd let me post but they did and so here i am.

shortly after i posted this i went to sams club for some tables and left with htc evo 4g. Smiley Happy

its a really really nice phone. so nice that i had to have it, even though i loved my tilt 2 and only had it about 8 months or so and was still in a contract with att

i feel i should make some small comparisons about the evo vs the tilt2. there are alot of things i could voer but i'm only going to high light a few that come to mind at this moment.

first of all the tilt 2 slide out keyboard spoiled me, virtual keyboards on capicitive screens are nice but not as nice as a the tilt2 slider, not too mention the tilting screen.

i found i would tilt the screen and set it in my lap, arm of the couch or my desk. the evo has a off center kickstand but it needs to rest on a flat surface to mantain balance

going through apps and menues and settings and pretty much everything on evo is very fast and smooth....pardon my english, iphone fast and smooth

getting gps fix is almost instant everytime for me

there are two built in gps apps,the google app is the best i have ever seen on a phone, better than my tomtom, but im sure it relies on data connection

the phone works, everytime i try to do somthing it repondsand does what it should, no soft resets now!! this evo can probably never need a reset, compared to wm needing reset as often as a few times a day...you know its true...Smiley Happy

giant screen on the evo. ok screen on tilt2

market place is looking good and super easy to use, lots of good free apps

android does not support hid blutooth keyboard- this is a huge setback for me...tilt2 did this fantasticaly

built in head phone jack- i really dont care, but hey its there

2 cameras- one on front and one on back, not that i'll use the front, btw the back camera is awesome, 8mp and 720p vids..i dont need to drag my dedicated camera around with me anymore.

battery life on evo- not so good, it uses the exact same bettery as tilt 2 along with a few others..makes extra batteries cheap. not only does this thing drain the battery rapidly but i beleive there is a chrargin issue that sprint nor htc want to talk about..google this if ya like. but all in all the battery is still prettgood. will last all day with light use. im not a light user so i ordered extra batteries.

no mini usb ports, so i cant use any of my five tilt 2 chargers

hdmi output on evo...not sure why though

no glitches out of the box, tilt 2 had many tweeks you had to do to get somethings to work right right out the box, like texting or something like that.

good price on evo, 200 with 2 year contract

sprint is cheaper, and i get a student discount, seems like alot cheaper and more options, earlier nights and weekends, all mobile to mobile are free, texting inlcuded in data plan.i have cheaper billl and alot more talk time. i was even getting a little too good of a deal on 3 data plans with att, aka smartphones using non smart plans..sprint was even cheaper doing it the wrong way with att

sprints techs and customer service seem to suck and the reps are in the philiipines and they are hard to understand. i definetly preferred the att call center  even if it is in gangstersville atl

data- i get 3g here out in the middle of no where with sprint, and i always get 1.3mb/700kb, with att  i didnt get att 3g here where i live and work, unlike with sprint. on att 3g i never got more than 400kb/200mb

on wifi  i get 7mb/3mb on evo, on  tilt2 and all my other wm devices i never got over 400mb down???

there are alot less tweaks to do on android, sure you can root, but i havent yet seen the point, but im sure i will eventualy.  in wm there was a tweak for everything and this was nice, there is very little tweaking on unrooted adnroid, or so it seems.

i dont have as many choices or options as i did with wm. maybe that was part of the porblem with wm from a coding standpoint. in wm there were 5 different options and those options had options to do any one task...in android usualy you dont even know whats going on or how it work, but it works.  in android,  even just downloading a file through the broswer can be awkward cuase it just downloads and it doesnt tell you where the file is.

also it seems like android just dumps stuff all over your micro sd card. its as if we really arent supposed to go browing our files or worring about this sort of things, lol. infact you have to down load a third party app to even see the sd card, and its interface looks crappy.

speaker phone ont tilt2 is better, imo

so i rambled on for a bit here but i thought i would share my experiences. i really thought everything about android and or my new evo  would be better then wm and or my tilt2 2 but that just isnt the case.

i will be selling my tilt 2 on ebay, even though i realy dont want to, i told myself if i got the evo i would offset the cost by selling my tilt2.   Smiley Sad

i didnt come here to sway anyone or to taunt, but more to say a few words about my comparison of the tilt2 and the evo and to say thanks to the folks around here that helped me and i will miss my htc wm smart phone days i have had here.

maybe i'll see some of ya over at xda

14 of 18 (1,997 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 29, 2010 9:27:47 AM
(0)
Professor

potna wrote:

sweet, it looks like i can still post here.

pardon me if i ramble a bit, but i think i may have something worth saying

i have been a user of att or cingular since 2002 or so and i just recently left to go to sprint, i dint think they'd let me post but they did and so here i am.

Nice comparison.  att still seems to think that they can maintain users by catering to the iPhone only crowd.  Please can we have a nice Android phone...and a great WP7 as soon as they come out?

15 of 18 (1,962 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 29, 2010 11:38:55 AM
(0)
Contributor

I agree 100%.  AT&T needs a device similar to the EVO 4G or it will lose a lot of customers. 

I am currently using an HTC-HD-2 on AT&T.  It works fine, but no 3G service due to the different 3G frequencies between TMO and AT&T.  I also have an Aria, which works great, but I sure miss the 4.3" screen and the 1GHz Snapdragon processor on the HD-2.  The Aria is fast and smooth with Android 2.1, but the 3.2" screen is a real come down from the HD-2.  I use the HD-2 most of the time, because EDGE data works for most of my email and other data needs.

WAKE UP AT&T - MANY OF YOUR USERS AREN'T DRINKING THE iPHONE "COOL AIDE".  WE WANT 4.3" ANDROID AND W7 DEVICES.

16 of 18 (1,951 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 29, 2010 4:39:56 PM
(0)
Scholar

From the recent announcements, it seems a 4.3" phone is NOT going to make its way to ATT. Even the coming WM7 seem to top out at 4". The only thing close was the Streak, and we know what happened there.

17 of 18 (1,920 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 4, 2010 7:50:38 PM
(0)
Professor

diagoro wrote:

From the recent announcements, it seems a 4.3" phone is NOT going to make its way to ATT. Even the coming WM7 seem to top out at 4". The only thing close was the Streak, and we know what happened there.

Bottom line is that att is not interested in challenges to the Iphone.  It will be a shame if the new WP7 comes out with a less attractive screen than the Iphone.

18 of 18 (1,618 Views)