activation problems

Contributor

activation problems

I have had horrendous problems trying to get the MicroCell working in the Rockford, IL area.  I'm on my second microcell and now it has broken my router so none of my wireless is working.  Any others with this problem?  Any suggestions when you simply can't get it to work and AT&T can't solve the problem on the phone?  It would be nice for on-site support when it's gottten this far and taken this much time.

Message 1 of 7
Guru

Re: activation problems

Well, first, I would disconnect the Microcell and figure out why your internet connection isn't working. The Microcell certainly won't work until that's fixed.

Once it is, I would first try hooking the microcell up in the normal way *behind* your router. The so-called  "priority mode" installation shouldn't be the *first* thing you try. And given how flaky the Microcell is, in general, probably is the *last* thing you should try.

If hooking it up the normal way doesn't work, AND if the rest of your network is working correctly, AND if the Microcell is showing all of the lights on solid except for the 3G (looks like 5 bars) light, then you'll have to investigate your router's configuration to see if it is somehow blocking the Microcell's traffic.

Message 2 of 7
Teacher

Message 3 of 7
Contributor

Try setting your MTU to 1400 rather than the 1492 the documentation states.  After 10 days of frustration, I changed  the MTU and up and running in 15 mins. Something about the MTU causing packet loss, so Microcell couldn't communicate with ATT servers.

Message 4 of 7
Highlighted
Contributor

how do you change the MTU ?

Message 5 of 7
Guru

That depends on your router, but I am unconvinced that reducing your MTU is a good idea. Your MTU should be 1500 unless you're using PPPoE, in which case it should be 1492.

Message 6 of 7
ACE - Master

nsayer wrote:

That depends on your router, but I am unconvinced that reducing your MTU is a good idea. Your MTU should be 1500 unless you're using PPPoE, in which case it should be 1492.

I agree.

MicroCell Technical Guide by Otto Pylot

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTMobilityCare

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 7 of 7
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?

Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

Additional Support