activating iphone 4

activating iphone 4

I'm new to the iphone and am completetly confused on how to activate the iphone 4, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Message 1 of 37 (166,431 Views)
Teacher

Re: activating iphone 4

Message 2 of 37 (166,352 Views)
Scholar

You plug it in with itunes, itunes should activate the phone.  Maybe, you can try

https://www.wireless.att.com/activations/

Message 3 of 37 (166,339 Views)
Mentor

stupid iphone newbie question 2: since it charges over USB and I have itunes 9.2 installed do I have to charge it in the wall and then connect it to itunes, or can I just plug it straight into the computer and accomplish all 3 at once without bricking the thing....not that I expect that would happen but I'm taking 0 chances

Message 4 of 37 (166,301 Views)
Mentor

USB to your computer also charges the phone provided your computer is on and not "asleep."

Message 5 of 37 (166,279 Views)

[ Edited ]

I plug it into the wall, the beeps and gives the usb/itunes symbol. then after a few seconds it goes black and does nothing. I plug it into my computer and get the same result. If I pull up itunes nothing happens in terms of it updating....is there something I'm missing?

edit: I just ran a diagnostic in itunes and it tells me the iphone wasn't found?

Message 6 of 37 (166,277 Views)
Professor

[ Edited ]

Just activated mine.  Used an online activation link that I got in my confirmation email from Premier, entered the IMEI and SIM (ICCID) on the back of the box, and in less than a minute, it came back with your phone is activated on the phone, and the AT&T network and 3G symbols on the phone display.  Painless activation.  Now connecting to iTunes to sync my stuff to the new phone.

If the status of your device is Complete, the AT&T system has completed activation and you can soon begin using your wireless device.

Note that your device should be ready to use within 15 minutes of activation, but in some cases can take as long as four hours. Please plan accordingly.

Place a test call to confirm that the activation was successful on your device. If the test call and activation are not successful, call Premier Support at 1-866-499-8008, Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 9 p.m. Eastern Time.

If the status of your device is Pending, then the activation of your device is still being processed in the AT&T system. We will notify you in a confirmation email message when activation is complete.

Wireless Device Activation

Wireless NumberWireless DeviceActivation Status
xxx-xxx-xxxx
iPhone 4 - 32GB BlackComplete

For more information about your wireless device, go to Business Center Support.

Message 7 of 37 (166,180 Views)
Mentor

it may not be reading it due to a bad USB port...try another one if you can? Windows or Mac?

Message 8 of 37 (166,173 Views)

dwill05 wrote:

Just activated mine.  Used an online activation link that I got in my confirmation email from Premier, entered the IMEI and SIM (ICCID) on the back of the box, and in less than a minute, it came back with your phone is activated on the phone, and the AT&T network and 3G symbols on the phone display.  Painless activation.  Now connecting to iTunes to sync my stuff to the new phone.

Awesome so you just used the link that came in the Premier email?  I wasn't sure how that would go since the shipping confirmation gave the phone number to call to activate it.

Message 9 of 37 (166,122 Views)
Professor

MasterBlaster82 wrote:

dwill05 wrote:

Awesome so you just used the link that came in the Premier email?  I wasn't sure how that would go since the shipping confirmation gave the phone number to call to activate it.

Yeah, got the same in my shipping email, but the order email had an online link, so I tried that first.  I don't think it matters, you still have to give the same info, whether it's over the phone, or typed into an online form.  I figured online was better because I could check those long numberes after I typed them in.

Message 10 of 37 (166,097 Views)

[ Edited ]

dwill05 wrote:

I figured online was better because I could check those long numberes after I typed them in.

Same here.  I also think, if for some reason the phone activation gets swamped and has issues, the email link online method might be quicker.  Thanks for the info, I'll be doing it online when I get home.

Message 11 of 37 (50,321 Views)

shackel9 wrote:

it may not be reading it due to a bad USB port...try another one if you can? Windows or Mac?

I've tried both my usb ports and they seem to be working but my computer still doesn't recognize them...is there a way to do it manually? Or maybe over the phone?

Message 12 of 37 (50,311 Views)
Mentor

Do you have itunes 9.2 installed?

Message 13 of 37 (50,276 Views)

I tried to activate mine online.  After I went throught the steps it said that the Activation Status was 'pending'...um, ok:

"If the status of your device is Pending, then the activation of your device is still being processed in the AT&T system. We will notify you in a confirmation email message when activation is complete"

Then I received a text message to my Samsung saying "Your Smartphone is active! A data plan is required & if omitted, will be added to your account.  For more details, see your sales rep or att.com/smartphones"

I already have a data plan...anyone else having this problem?

Message 14 of 37 (50,236 Views)
Explorer

AT&T iPhone 4 activation instruction

Activate your iPhone:

In order to activate your iPhone and utilize the entire suite of features included in your service you MUST follow these steps IN ORDER:

Step 1 - Charge your iPhone.

Step 2 - Download and install iTunes.

Step 3 - Connect your iPhone to your PC or MAC and follow the instructions on iTunes.

Step 4 - Activate your iPhone online at att.com/Activations or by calling 1-866-895-1099 from another phone.

• Be ready to give the wireless number you want to activate, the account holder's SSN and shipping ZIP code.

Step 5 - Turn your new iPhone ON and make a test call.

• If your test call is not successful, see Phone / Device Support.

Set up your new Voicemail box

• Touch the Phone icon.
• Touch the Voicemail icon and click Setup Now.
• The system will ask you to create a passcode and select/create a greeting message.

Airtime minutes apply when accessing voicemail from your iPhone.

Am i going to need the full SSN of the person on the ATT billing account or just the last four?

Message 15 of 37 (50,228 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.