Wireless Forums

Posted Jun 23, 2010
8:29:18 AM
activating iphone 4

I'm new to the iphone and am completetly confused on how to activate the iphone 4, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I'm new to the iphone and am completetly confused on how to activate the iphone 4, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

activating iphone 4

36 replies
(1) Me too
(1) Me too
Replies
(36)
(0)
  • Rate this reply

Re: activating iphone 4

2 of 37 (165,502 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 23, 2010 8:31:58 AM
(0)
Scholar

You plug it in with itunes, itunes should activate the phone.  Maybe, you can try

https://www.wireless.att.com/activations/

You plug it in with itunes, itunes should activate the phone.  Maybe, you can try

https://www.wireless.att.com/activations/

3 of 37 (165,489 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 23, 2010 8:37:58 AM
(0)
Mentor

stupid iphone newbie question 2: since it charges over USB and I have itunes 9.2 installed do I have to charge it in the wall and then connect it to itunes, or can I just plug it straight into the computer and accomplish all 3 at once without bricking the thing....not that I expect that would happen but I'm taking 0 chances

stupid iphone newbie question 2: since it charges over USB and I have itunes 9.2 installed do I have to charge it in the wall and then connect it to itunes, or can I just plug it straight into the computer and accomplish all 3 at once without bricking the thing....not that I expect that would happen but I'm taking 0 chances

4 of 37 (165,451 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 23, 2010 8:40:29 AM
(0)
Mentor

USB to your computer also charges the phone provided your computer is on and not "asleep."

USB to your computer also charges the phone provided your computer is on and not "asleep."

5 of 37 (165,429 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 23, 2010 8:40:35 AM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by tdogchristy90 on Jun 23, 2010 at 8:42:20 AM

I plug it into the wall, the beeps and gives the usb/itunes symbol. then after a few seconds it goes black and does nothing. I plug it into my computer and get the same result. If I pull up itunes nothing happens in terms of it updating....is there something I'm missing?

edit: I just ran a diagnostic in itunes and it tells me the iphone wasn't found?

I plug it into the wall, the beeps and gives the usb/itunes symbol. then after a few seconds it goes black and does nothing. I plug it into my computer and get the same result. If I pull up itunes nothing happens in terms of it updating....is there something I'm missing?

edit: I just ran a diagnostic in itunes and it tells me the iphone wasn't found?

[ Edited ]
6 of 37 (165,427 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 23, 2010 9:01:45 AM
(0)
Professor
Edited by dwill05 on Jun 23, 2010 at 9:05:43 AM

Just activated mine.  Used an online activation link that I got in my confirmation email from Premier, entered the IMEI and SIM (ICCID) on the back of the box, and in less than a minute, it came back with your phone is activated on the phone, and the AT&T network and 3G symbols on the phone display.  Painless activation.  Now connecting to iTunes to sync my stuff to the new phone.

If the status of your device is Complete, the AT&T system has completed activation and you can soon begin using your wireless device.

Note that your device should be ready to use within 15 minutes of activation, but in some cases can take as long as four hours. Please plan accordingly.

Place a test call to confirm that the activation was successful on your device. If the test call and activation are not successful, call Premier Support at 1-866-499-8008, Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 9 p.m. Eastern Time.

If the status of your device is Pending, then the activation of your device is still being processed in the AT&T system. We will notify you in a confirmation email message when activation is complete.

Wireless Device Activation

Wireless NumberWireless DeviceActivation Status
xxx-xxx-xxxx
iPhone 4 - 32GB BlackComplete

For more information about your wireless device, go to Business Center Support.

Just activated mine.  Used an online activation link that I got in my confirmation email from Premier, entered the IMEI and SIM (ICCID) on the back of the box, and in less than a minute, it came back with your phone is activated on the phone, and the AT&T network and 3G symbols on the phone display.  Painless activation.  Now connecting to iTunes to sync my stuff to the new phone.

If the status of your device is Complete, the AT&T system has completed activation and you can soon begin using your wireless device.

Note that your device should be ready to use within 15 minutes of activation, but in some cases can take as long as four hours. Please plan accordingly.

Place a test call to confirm that the activation was successful on your device. If the test call and activation are not successful, call Premier Support at 1-866-499-8008, Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 9 p.m. Eastern Time.

If the status of your device is Pending, then the activation of your device is still being processed in the AT&T system. We will notify you in a confirmation email message when activation is complete.

xxx-xxx-xxxx

[ Edited ]
7 of 37 (165,330 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 23, 2010 9:02:17 AM
(0)
Mentor

it may not be reading it due to a bad USB port...try another one if you can? Windows or Mac?

it may not be reading it due to a bad USB port...try another one if you can? Windows or Mac?

8 of 37 (165,323 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 23, 2010 9:08:38 AM
(0)
Teacher

dwill05 wrote:

Awesome so you just used the link that came in the Premier email?  I wasn't sure how that would go since the shipping confirmation gave the phone number to call to activate it.

dwill05 wrote:

Awesome so you just used the link that came in the Premier email?  I wasn't sure how that would go since the shipping confirmation gave the phone number to call to activate it.

9 of 37 (165,272 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 23, 2010 9:11:18 AM
(0)
Professor

MasterBlaster82 wrote:

dwill05 wrote:

Yeah, got the same in my shipping email, but the order email had an online link, so I tried that first.  I don't think it matters, you still have to give the same info, whether it's over the phone, or typed into an online form.  I figured online was better because I could check those long numberes after I typed them in.

MasterBlaster82 wrote:

dwill05 wrote:

Yeah, got the same in my shipping email, but the order email had an online link, so I tried that first.  I don't think it matters, you still have to give the same info, whether it's over the phone, or typed into an online form.  I figured online was better because I could check those long numberes after I typed them in.

10 of 37 (165,247 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 23, 2010 9:15:12 AM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by MasterBlaster82 on Jun 23, 2010 at 9:15:55 AM

dwill05 wrote:

I figured online was better because I could check those long numberes after I typed them in.

Same here.  I also think, if for some reason the phone activation gets swamped and has issues, the email link online method might be quicker.  Thanks for the info, I'll be doing it online when I get home.

dwill05 wrote:

I figured online was better because I could check those long numberes after I typed them in.

Same here.  I also think, if for some reason the phone activation gets swamped and has issues, the email link online method might be quicker.  Thanks for the info, I'll be doing it online when I get home.

[ Edited ]
11 of 37 (49,471 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 23, 2010 9:18:07 AM
(0)
Mentor

shackel9 wrote:

I've tried both my usb ports and they seem to be working but my computer still doesn't recognize them...is there a way to do it manually? Or maybe over the phone?

shackel9 wrote:

I've tried both my usb ports and they seem to be working but my computer still doesn't recognize them...is there a way to do it manually? Or maybe over the phone?

12 of 37 (49,461 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 23, 2010 9:44:35 AM
(0)
Mentor

Do you have itunes 9.2 installed?

Do you have itunes 9.2 installed?

13 of 37 (49,426 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 23, 2010 9:59:43 AM
(0)
Tutor

I tried to activate mine online.  After I went throught the steps it said that the Activation Status was 'pending'...um, ok:

"If the status of your device is Pending, then the activation of your device is still being processed in the AT&T system. We will notify you in a confirmation email message when activation is complete"

Then I received a text message to my Samsung saying "Your Smartphone is active! A data plan is required & if omitted, will be added to your account.  For more details, see your sales rep or att.com/smartphones"

I already have a data plan...anyone else having this problem?

I tried to activate mine online.  After I went throught the steps it said that the Activation Status was 'pending'...um, ok:

"If the status of your device is Pending, then the activation of your device is still being processed in the AT&T system. We will notify you in a confirmation email message when activation is complete"

Then I received a text message to my Samsung saying "Your Smartphone is active! A data plan is required & if omitted, will be added to your account.  For more details, see your sales rep or att.com/smartphones"

I already have a data plan...anyone else having this problem?

14 of 37 (49,386 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 23, 2010 10:01:27 AM
(0)
Explorer

AT&T iPhone 4 activation instruction

Activate your iPhone:

In order to activate your iPhone and utilize the entire suite of features included in your service you MUST follow these steps IN ORDER:

Step 1 - Charge your iPhone.

Step 2 - Download and install iTunes.

Step 3 - Connect your iPhone to your PC or MAC and follow the instructions on iTunes.

Step 4 - Activate your iPhone online at att.com/Activations or by calling 1-866-895-1099 from another phone.

• Be ready to give the wireless number you want to activate, the account holder's SSN and shipping ZIP code.

Step 5 - Turn your new iPhone ON and make a test call.

• If your test call is not successful, see Phone / Device Support.

Set up your new Voicemail box

• Touch the Phone icon.
• Touch the Voicemail icon and click Setup Now.
• The system will ask you to create a passcode and select/create a greeting message.

Airtime minutes apply when accessing voicemail from your iPhone.

Am i going to need the full SSN of the person on the ATT billing account or just the last four?

AT&T iPhone 4 activation instruction

Activate your iPhone:

In order to activate your iPhone and utilize the entire suite of features included in your service you MUST follow these steps IN ORDER:

Step 1 - Charge your iPhone.

Step 2 - Download and install iTunes.

Step 3 - Connect your iPhone to your PC or MAC and follow the instructions on iTunes.

Step 4 - Activate your iPhone online at att.com/Activations or by calling 1-866-895-1099 from another phone.

• Be ready to give the wireless number you want to activate, the account holder's SSN and shipping ZIP code.

Step 5 - Turn your new iPhone ON and make a test call.

• If your test call is not successful, see Phone / Device Support.

Set up your new Voicemail box

• Touch the Phone icon.
• Touch the Voicemail icon and click Setup Now.
• The system will ask you to create a passcode and select/create a greeting message.

Airtime minutes apply when accessing voicemail from your iPhone.

Am i going to need the full SSN of the person on the ATT billing account or just the last four?

15 of 37 (49,378 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 23, 2010 11:50:20 AM
(0)
Explorer

dwill05 wrote:

xxx-xxx-xxxx

For anyone who purchased theirs through Premier, this is the way to activate was so easy. Now I am enjoying this awsome phone.

dwill05 wrote:

xxx-xxx-xxxx

For anyone who purchased theirs through Premier, this is the way to activate was so easy. Now I am enjoying this awsome phone.

16 of 37 (49,233 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 23, 2010 12:00:52 PM
(0)
Mentor

tdogchristie: I just got mine and now I understand what you mean with the screen shutting off...it's just the phone going into sleep or whatever while it charges. If you hit the home button it comes right back on. Took me a minute to figure it out....my first apple product too...I finally sold my soul but it feels so...right...when you hold it!

tdogchristie: I just got mine and now I understand what you mean with the screen shutting off...it's just the phone going into sleep or whatever while it charges. If you hit the home button it comes right back on. Took me a minute to figure it out....my first apple product too...I finally sold my soul but it feels so...right...when you hold it!

17 of 37 (49,206 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 23, 2010 4:09:32 PM
(0)
Contributor

My iphone arrived today....I never got the confirmation email because I ordered finally that night from my ipad, and I'm pretty sure I must have typed my email incorrectly.

Anyhow, what is the activation link?

I would prefer to do it that way than hooking up to itunes if that is not going to work until tomorrow.....

Can anyone help ?

Thanks !

My iphone arrived today....I never got the confirmation email because I ordered finally that night from my ipad, and I'm pretty sure I must have typed my email incorrectly.

Anyhow, what is the activation link?

I would prefer to do it that way than hooking up to itunes if that is not going to work until tomorrow.....

Can anyone help ?

Thanks !

18 of 37 (48,757 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 23, 2010 4:13:32 PM
(0)
Mentor

itunes works now.  i got my phone at 10:30 pacific, and activted it within 15 minutes, and it took 2 minutes or less.

itunes works now.  i got my phone at 10:30 pacific, and activted it within 15 minutes, and it took 2 minutes or less.

19 of 37 (48,744 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 23, 2010 4:54:29 PM
(0)
Tutor

did the activation through itunes, still ended up having to call the att activation number.  had to accept the new ToS.  phone activated

did the activation through itunes, still ended up having to call the att activation number.  had to accept the new ToS.  phone activated

20 of 37 (48,664 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 23, 2010 4:57:30 PM
(0)
Mentor

weird.  i never had to call the att number.  who knows.  grats tho.

weird.  i never had to call the att number.  who knows.  grats tho.

21 of 37 (42,399 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 23, 2010 9:02:02 PM
(0)
Contributor

I am a current At&T subscriber.  I should have used the website link to activate, but called the number instead, stupidly from my current (and only) at&t blackberry.  I didn't hear the whole message, about turning of your phone and for how long.  I did turn off the iPhone, and then tried the link to activate it - but the link says my phone is already activated.

But the phone still does not recognize a SIM card.

What do I do!?

I am a current At&T subscriber.  I should have used the website link to activate, but called the number instead, stupidly from my current (and only) at&t blackberry.  I didn't hear the whole message, about turning of your phone and for how long.  I did turn off the iPhone, and then tried the link to activate it - but the link says my phone is already activated.

But the phone still does not recognize a SIM card.

What do I do!?

22 of 37 (42,246 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 23, 2010 9:13:28 PM
(0)
Mentor

did you hook it up to itunes successfully before activating it?

did you hook it up to itunes successfully before activating it?

23 of 37 (42,231 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 23, 2010 9:15:45 PM
(0)
Contributor

The minute I hooked it up to iTunes it says "there is no sim card in the iphone you are attempting to activate"

The minute I hooked it up to iTunes it says "there is no sim card in the iphone you are attempting to activate"

24 of 37 (42,225 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 23, 2010 9:22:13 PM
(0)
Teacher

Make sure your phone is turned off. Remove the sim card from the slit with a small paperclip or pin and re-insert the sim back into place. Turn your phone back on and plug back into Itunes.

Make sure your phone is turned off. Remove the sim card from the slit with a small paperclip or pin and re-insert the sim back into place. Turn your phone back on and plug back into Itunes.

25 of 37 (42,199 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 23, 2010 9:33:03 PM
(0)
Contributor

YAYYYYYYY!

MacTech1 you are my hero.

That worked perfectly.

I wonder what the issue was??  I was going to be very disappointed with my first iPhone if I couldn't get it to work!

YAYYYYYYY!

MacTech1 you are my hero.

That worked perfectly.

I wonder what the issue was??  I was going to be very disappointed with my first iPhone if I couldn't get it to work!

26 of 37 (42,191 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 23, 2010 9:36:04 PM
(0)
Teacher

Some times when a new product is mass produced at such a high volume, the person who assembles the final pieces, does not set the sim in properly and just needs adjusting. Simple but most would never think that to be an issue. Very glad to hear it worked for you.  :smileyvery-happy:

Some times when a new product is mass produced at such a high volume, the person who assembles the final pieces, does not set the sim in properly and just needs adjusting. Simple but most would never think that to be an issue. Very glad to hear it worked for you.  :smileyvery-happy:

27 of 37 (42,187 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 23, 2010 9:40:36 PM
(0)
Tutor

Me and my friend got our now iPhone 4 today, we both did the activation set up and our phone would not work. Talked to AT&T and they could not help and said wait for 20 minutes or so. We then tried turning Airplane Mode ON then OFF, our phones connected and got service immediately after. So if you are still having trouble, try this. :smileyhappy:

Me and my friend got our now iPhone 4 today, we both did the activation set up and our phone would not work. Talked to AT&T and they could not help and said wait for 20 minutes or so. We then tried turning Airplane Mode ON then OFF, our phones connected and got service immediately after. So if you are still having trouble, try this. :smileyhappy:

28 of 37 (42,174 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 22, 2010 7:06:18 PM
(0)
Teacher

My iphone 4 was shipped out today. in my account there is another phone line and the att people said that the number is attached to an iphone 4. i told them i havent even received it yet and he said they dont usually come preactivated... he said wait until i get the phone delivered, what the heck is going on???

My iphone 4 was shipped out today. in my account there is another phone line and the att people said that the number is attached to an iphone 4. i told them i havent even received it yet and he said they dont usually come preactivated... he said wait until i get the phone delivered, what the heck is going on???

Iphone activated when shipped???

29 of 37 (41,071 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 22, 2010 2:59:39 PM
(0)
Contributor

I went in to a AT&T store to get mine new iPhone 4 activated.

It is 24 hours later and it is still not on.

I went in to a AT&T store to get mine new iPhone 4 activated.

It is 24 hours later and it is still not on.

30 of 37 (40,460 Views)