Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Jun 19, 2010
10:37:11 AM
Your iPhone 5G Wishlist

Made a thread a couple of years ago about the 4G iPhone wishlist... thought I'd try this again.

http://forums.wireless.att.com/t5/Apple/Your-iPhone-4G-Wishlist/td-p/1658967

Most of those were satisfied by what the iPhone 3Gs and 4 have now... but some still aren't and I still have to add a few.

- FM Radio (I know this has been discussed many times, but I would personally love to have one of these built in to my phone as I would use it a lot. It would also cut back on my streaming outside of a wifi zone thus helping out AT&T's network.)

- IR Capabilities (this one's a complete long shot, though they do have cases now that have IR on them. It would be nice to be able to use your phone as a remote)

- AMOLED Screen (I know that there has been a controversy with this type of screen with stuff like it being hard to see in sunlight but this is pretty much where technology is heading towards and it would be nice if the iPhone were to join the rest of the group)

- Flash (or HTML 5 being used more around the web) - (flash is probably not likely to happen with the iPhone as Steve Jobs has already stated numerous times, but I would like to be able to use my phone on most sites with the full enhancement. I'm fine with having HTML 5 as long as it grows.)

- 4G Network - (This isn't likely to happen either as AT&T won't be upgrading to their "4G" LTE until 2012... but it's nice to dream of having a faster network. I kind of hated the fact that the HSDPA+ for 14MB down which AT&T will be rolling out by december is not supported on this new iPhone 4.)

- LED Light - (this one has been on my list for quite a while since I've had the iPhone for about 2 years now.. It would be nice to have an light that tells you if you have an incoming message or if your service is working.)

- 720P output (mini HDMI) - (I was amazed by what the EVO 4G has when it was announced. It would be awesome if you could display video via mini HDMI on your TV.)

- 3D - (This one is also a long shot, but it would be a dream if the iPhone did something similar to the Nintendo 3DS.)

That's my wish list... a man can dream. What's yours?

Made a thread a couple of years ago about the 4G iPhone wishlist... thought I'd try this again.

Most of those were satisfied by what the iPhone 3Gs and 4 have now... but some still aren't and I still have to add a few.

- FM Radio (I know this has been discussed many times, but I would personally love to have one of these built in to my phone as I would use it a lot. It would also cut back on my streaming outside of a wifi zone thus helping out AT&T's network.)

- IR Capabilities (this one's a complete long shot, though they do have cases now that have IR on them. It would be nice to be able to use your phone as a remote)

- AMOLED Screen (I know that there has been a controversy with this type of screen with stuff like it being hard to see in sunlight but this is pretty much where technology is heading towards and it would be nice if the iPhone were to join the rest of the group)

- Flash (or HTML 5 being used more around the web) - (flash is probably not likely to happen with the iPhone as Steve Jobs has already stated numerous times, but I would like to be able to use my phone on most sites with the full enhancement. I'm fine with having HTML 5 as long as it grows.)

- 4G Network - (This isn't likely to happen either as AT&T won't be upgrading to their "4G" LTE until 2012... but it's nice to dream of having a faster network. I kind of hated the fact that the HSDPA+ for 14MB down which AT&T will be rolling out by december is not supported on this new iPhone 4.)

- LED Light - (this one has been on my list for quite a while since I've had the iPhone for about 2 years now.. It would be nice to have an light that tells you if you have an incoming message or if your service is working.)

- 720P output (mini HDMI) - (I was amazed by what the EVO 4G has when it was announced. It would be awesome if you could display video via mini HDMI on your TV.)

- 3D - (This one is also a long shot, but it would be a dream if the iPhone did something similar to the Nintendo 3DS.)

Your iPhone 5G Wishlist

38 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(38)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 19, 2010 10:38:26 AM
(0)
Guru

Oh, come on. The iPhone 4 hasn't even been released and you're already making an iPhone 5 wishlist!? xD

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.

Oh, come on. The iPhone 4 hasn't even been released and you're already making an iPhone 5 wishlist!? xD

Re: Your iPhone 5G Wishlist

2 of 39 (4,142 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 19, 2010 10:40:19 AM
(0)
Professor

I'd like a pony with the next iPhone!  Smiley Wink

I'd like a pony with the next iPhone!  Smiley Wink

3 of 39 (4,135 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 19, 2010 10:40:34 AM
(0)
Scholar
They should come with a screen protector and a tough case.
They should come with a screen protector and a tough case.

4 of 39 (4,134 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 19, 2010 11:02:16 AM
(0)
Guru

My wish would be:

No PREORDER

No Escalated upgrade

No advanced notice, just one day all of the sudden, they become available.

My wish would be:

No PREORDER

No Escalated upgrade

5 of 39 (4,095 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 19, 2010 11:53:35 AM
(0)
Scholar

tawfiqmp wrote:

FM....Don't really have a use for FM radio, but isn't there an APP for that?

IR Remote....We use our 3GS's as a remote to operate our Tivo units. I don't know how it works exactly, but it works well. Maybe it's RF?

LED....Are you referring to that annoying blinking light I see on some phones that blink ALL the time? No thanks. I don't want a beacon on my phone. Especially at night when I'm sleeping. Any little light is annoying. Especially a blinking light.

4G....would be nice.

Everything else....take it or leave it

The way I see it is they aren't going to load up the iPhone with all the latest technology even if they can. It wouldn't leave much room for improvement or desire for the 'Next Generation' iPhone. They improve just enough for us to want it because it's that much better then it's predecessor, but still leaves room for more. It's the nature of the business and we all dive into it with each generation like they discovered gold or something.

tawfiqmp wrote:

FM....Don't really have a use for FM radio, but isn't there an APP for that?

IR Remote....We use our 3GS's as a remote to operate our Tivo units. I don't know how it works exactly, but it works well. Maybe it's RF?

LED....Are you referring to that annoying blinking light I see on some phones that blink ALL the time? No thanks. I don't want a beacon on my phone. Especially at night when I'm sleeping. Any little light is annoying. Especially a blinking light.

4G....would be nice.

Everything else....take it or leave it

The way I see it is they aren't going to load up the iPhone with all the latest technology even if they can. It wouldn't leave much room for improvement or desire for the 'Next Generation' iPhone. They improve just enough for us to want it because it's that much better then it's predecessor, but still leaves room for more. It's the nature of the business and we all dive into it with each generation like they discovered gold or something.

6 of 39 (4,035 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 19, 2010 12:17:41 PM
(0)
Expert

stclair49 wrote:

My wish would be:

No PREORDER

No Escalated upgrade

no subsidized price to keep the whining down

stclair49 wrote:

My wish would be:

No PREORDER

No Escalated upgrade

no subsidized price to keep the whining down

7 of 39 (4,014 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 19, 2010 12:37:09 PM
(0)
Master

Only way we'll see FM radio is if Apple decided to integrate HD radio, with its tagging ability, into the iPhone.  They're not going to put an FM radio in the iPhone unless it can produce a revenue stream.

IR is dead...it's long dead, and it's never coming back.  I remember realtors complaining about how the Tilt lacked IR when it came out in 2007(?).

I'm glad that you've appointed AMOLED screens where technology is going.  I happen to think you're wrong, for many reasons, at this point.  AMOLED color reproduction, artifact generation, outdoor performance, and screen life are all major issues that need to be addressed with the technology.

Flash is NEVER going to happen.  Give it up.

I also don't think we'll see LED indicator lights on the iPhone.  Every design decision made with regard to the iPhone has been a fairly conscious one.

I wouldn't expect to see mini-HDMI.  Instead, I would more likely see some sort of 30-pin connector to HDMI interface cable.  Battery drain will be an issue.

My wish list is that people would stop "imagineering" what they want in the next generation iPhone.  If you want to build the next iPhone, go work for Apple.

tawfiqmp wrote:

Only way we'll see FM radio is if Apple decided to integrate HD radio, with its tagging ability, into the iPhone.  They're not going to put an FM radio in the iPhone unless it can produce a revenue stream.

IR is dead...it's long dead, and it's never coming back.  I remember realtors complaining about how the Tilt lacked IR when it came out in 2007(?).

I'm glad that you've appointed AMOLED screens where technology is going.  I happen to think you're wrong, for many reasons, at this point.  AMOLED color reproduction, artifact generation, outdoor performance, and screen life are all major issues that need to be addressed with the technology.

Flash is NEVER going to happen.  Give it up.

I also don't think we'll see LED indicator lights on the iPhone.  Every design decision made with regard to the iPhone has been a fairly conscious one.

I wouldn't expect to see mini-HDMI.  Instead, I would more likely see some sort of 30-pin connector to HDMI interface cable.  Battery drain will be an issue.

My wish list is that people would stop "imagineering" what they want in the next generation iPhone.  If you want to build the next iPhone, go work for Apple.

tawfiqmp wrote:

8 of 39 (3,993 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 19, 2010 1:01:54 PM
(0)
Guru

So in your opinion, we shouldn't have wish lists just for the heck of it? And thanks for pointing out the obvious genius.... I know most of them are never going to happen... that's why it's called a WISH LIST. Shouldn't have posted in here.

So in your opinion, we shouldn't have wish lists just for the heck of it? And thanks for pointing out the obvious genius.... I know most of them are never going to happen... that's why it's called a WISH LIST. Shouldn't have posted in here.

9 of 39 (3,959 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 19, 2010 1:36:57 PM
(0)
Scholar
"My wish list is that people would stop "imagineering" what they want in the next generation iPhone.  If you want to build the next iPhone, go work for Apple."

My wish is for people to chill out. Getting hot and bothered about a phone is a little on the weird side. Now if we're talking cars and Chevy vs Ford then yeah maybe. Smiley Wink

"My wish list is that people would stop "imagineering" what they want in the next generation iPhone.  If you want to build the next iPhone, go work for Apple."

My wish is for people to chill out. Getting hot and bothered about a phone is a little on the weird side. Now if we're talking cars and Chevy vs Ford then yeah maybe. Smiley Wink

10 of 39 (3,919 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 19, 2010 1:38:27 PM
(0)
Scholar
By the way I like the IR idea.
By the way I like the IR idea.

11 of 39 (2,138 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 19, 2010 3:21:48 PM
(0)
Scholar

tawfiqmp wrote:

1. No FM Radio. Never has, never will be. You really want to add something sucking more power from this device?

2. No IR. It's a PHONE. Not a remote. Get a $10 remote from Wal-Mart and be done with it. Also, old technology and all power consuming.

3. AMOLED --- MAYBE. they're pretty expensive and at 300+ ppi? maybe...

4. Flash- You're kidding right? You did read what Apple said right?

5. 4G- Not for another 2 generations

6. LED light- Why do you need one when you can just press the home screen?

7. See AV kit for iPhone

8. You're getting too greedy

Don't get me wrong. Dreams are good. Unrealistic expectations, however, are another.

tawfiqmp wrote:

1. No FM Radio. Never has, never will be. You really want to add something sucking more power from this device?

2. No IR. It's a PHONE. Not a remote. Get a $10 remote from Wal-Mart and be done with it. Also, old technology and all power consuming.

3. AMOLED --- MAYBE. they're pretty expensive and at 300+ ppi? maybe...

4. Flash- You're kidding right? You did read what Apple said right?

5. 4G- Not for another 2 generations

6. LED light- Why do you need one when you can just press the home screen?

7. See AV kit for iPhone

8. You're getting too greedy

Don't get me wrong. Dreams are good. Unrealistic expectations, however, are another.

12 of 39 (2,116 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 19, 2010 3:43:39 PM
(0)
Scholar
It's a phone not an Internet surfing device. Let's wish it away. Smiley Wink
It's a phone not an Internet surfing device. Let's wish it away. Smiley Wink

13 of 39 (2,103 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 19, 2010 7:41:09 PM
(0)
Tutor
isnt the ips screen better than amoled? now maybe superamoled, or wait - transparent lcd would make the design interesting.
night vision lenses on camera
-
isnt the ips screen better than amoled? now maybe superamoled, or wait - transparent lcd would make the design interesting.
night vision lenses on camera
-

14 of 39 (2,071 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 19, 2010 7:52:54 PM
(0)
Mentor

I want it in WHITE! On Launch Day (or available for preorder)! AND I want a bigger screen - one the size of the EVO.

I want it in WHITE! On Launch Day (or available for preorder)! AND I want a bigger screen - one the size of the EVO.

15 of 39 (2,053 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 19, 2010 11:37:02 PM
(0)
Scholar

labrat1996 wrote:

if the screen was the size of the EVO's I would never buy it, that is way to big of a screen for a mobile phone.

it would be like carrying a PSP in your pocket which I have done and isn't comfortable in the slightest...

labrat1996 wrote:

if the screen was the size of the EVO's I would never buy it, that is way to big of a screen for a mobile phone.

it would be like carrying a PSP in your pocket which I have done and isn't comfortable in the slightest...

16 of 39 (2,021 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 20, 2010 12:58:56 AM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by mod.moose on Jun 20, 2010 at 1:07:56 AM

BrianfromNO wrote:

Wow, Lighten up, if you don't like the topic don't read it and then reply. This is a discussion board after all and we are the customers, we can "imagineer" whatever we like.

{Mod. Note: Please keep it courteous, edit out any uncalled for comments and do not go around the word filter.  Thank you.}

BrianfromNO wrote:

Wow, Lighten up, if you don't like the topic don't read it and then reply. This is a discussion board after all and we are the customers, we can "imagineer" whatever we like.

{Mod. Note: Please keep it courteous, edit out any uncalled for comments and do not go around the word filter.  Thank you.}

[ Edited ]
17 of 39 (2,008 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 20, 2010 2:06:29 AM
(0)
Voyager

I don't see why people are tearing this guy up. He's just asking what else you'd like to see in the phone. Imagineer away my friend! On topic I want to see a back that won't scratch so I don't have to worry about a case

I don't see why people are tearing this guy up. He's just asking what else you'd like to see in the phone. Imagineer away my friend! On topic I want to see a back that won't scratch so I don't have to worry about a case

18 of 39 (1,994 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 20, 2010 2:29:27 AM
(0)
Master
Edited by Eileen89 on Jun 20, 2010 at 2:31:19 AM

I would like my next iPhone to spit me out a pound of $50's, sliced thin so I can take some time off of work!

I would like my next iPhone to spit me out a pound of $50's, sliced thin so I can take some time off of work!

[ Edited ]
19 of 39 (1,984 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 20, 2010 6:29:04 AM
(0)
Mentor

Well I am getting older and a bigger screen is very appealing to me! I was going to wait for the Dell Streak, but decided that I couldn't wait any longer. I'm a girl though so I have a big purse to put the phone in!

Well I am getting older and a bigger screen is very appealing to me! I was going to wait for the Dell Streak, but decided that I couldn't wait any longer. I'm a girl though so I have a big purse to put the phone in!

20 of 39 (1,959 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 20, 2010 6:45:27 AM
(0)
Professor
I don't see half of that happening unless Google bought Apple and take their store to new heights. Replacing iOS with an Android with the Apple parts still working.
I don't see half of that happening unless Google bought Apple and take their store to new heights. Replacing iOS with an Android with the Apple parts still working.

21 of 39 (1,888 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 20, 2010 7:05:43 AM
(0)
Tutor

I would like 1080p full HD video recording with Blu-Ray capabilities. I do NOT like the iPhone 4 design because its square. I would like the same rounded design but with more slimness. Also a more sturdy device so the screen wont crack when dropped. Also a MicroSD slot, 7MP camera with LED flash, front camera would be 5MP with flash.

I would like 1080p full HD video recording with Blu-Ray capabilities. I do NOT like the iPhone 4 design because its square. I would like the same rounded design but with more slimness. Also a more sturdy device so the screen wont crack when dropped. Also a MicroSD slot, 7MP camera with LED flash, front camera would be 5MP with flash.

22 of 39 (1,882 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 20, 2010 12:16:01 PM
(0)
Scholar

paoloterrasi wrote:

I too like to current rounded design. I haven't even been able to hold the new one and I got 2 sight unseen :/

I just hope it sits in the hand as well as my 3GS. The square advantage is that it can sit horizontal which is something I wish I was able to do now so I can watch my Slingbox without having to lean it on something. Other then that, I guess they had to change it after 3 years of the same design.

I think the new screen is actually a lot more impact resistant.

'.....the screen is made of aluminosilicate glass, which is the same type of material used in the windshields of helicopters and high speed trains.

These panels are said to be 20 times stiffer and 30 times harder than plastic, which makes the glass virtually unbreakable and scratch-proof.'

paoloterrasi wrote:

I too like to current rounded design. I haven't even been able to hold the new one and I got 2 sight unseen :/

I just hope it sits in the hand as well as my 3GS. The square advantage is that it can sit horizontal which is something I wish I was able to do now so I can watch my Slingbox without having to lean it on something. Other then that, I guess they had to change it after 3 years of the same design.

I think the new screen is actually a lot more impact resistant.

'.....the screen is made of aluminosilicate glass, which is the same type of material used in the windshields of helicopters and high speed trains.

These panels are said to be 20 times stiffer and 30 times harder than plastic, which makes the glass virtually unbreakable and scratch-proof.'

23 of 39 (1,853 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 20, 2010 4:34:34 PM
(0)
Scholar

The kitchen sink. Smiley Very Happy

The kitchen sink. Smiley Very Happy

Sent from my iPhone 4, powered by iOS 4.3.1.

24 of 39 (1,810 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 20, 2010 6:41:02 PM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by datoad on Jun 20, 2010 at 6:41:47 PM

Why is there so much hostility over an LED addition to the phone?  For some of us who aren't on there 24/7 it would be nice to just glance over at the phone to see if you "need to take action".  

Blinking LED Status:

Red - Out of Service area.

Amber -  A message/mail/voice mail/etc is waiting.  

Green - In service area.

Something to that effect.  I like the LED so I don't need to turn on my phone to see what's going on.  A quick glance and then I'll know if I need to take action.

I find that very helpful.  If you can't sleep at night because of a blinking LED either:

A - Have a software option to turn it off entirely

B - Turn your phone on its face so you don't see it at night.

Smiley Tongue

Why is there so much hostility over an LED addition to the phone?  For some of us who aren't on there 24/7 it would be nice to just glance over at the phone to see if you "need to take action".  

Blinking LED Status:

Green - In service area.

Something to that effect.  I like the LED so I don't need to turn on my phone to see what's going on.  A quick glance and then I'll know if I need to take action.

I find that very helpful.  If you can't sleep at night because of a blinking LED either:

Smiley Tongue

[ Edited ]
25 of 39 (1,788 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 20, 2010 6:53:04 PM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by BreathEZ on Jun 20, 2010 at 6:54:06 PM

datoad wrote:

Blinking LED Status:

Green - In service area.

Smiley Tongue

I agree.  Besides having actual buttons for the keyboard, the only other thing I really liked about my Blackberry was the LED status light.  It's far more convenient, and power efficient, to glance over and see if I missed something.  Like the Blackberry, you could have the option of turning it off or on and set it to signify whatever information you seek.  Like mentioned above, if they put a LED flash for the front camera, they could use that.  Easy.

datoad wrote:

Blinking LED Status:

Green - In service area.

Smiley Tongue

I agree.  Besides having actual buttons for the keyboard, the only other thing I really liked about my Blackberry was the LED status light.  It's far more convenient, and power efficient, to glance over and see if I missed something.  Like the Blackberry, you could have the option of turning it off or on and set it to signify whatever information you seek.  Like mentioned above, if they put a LED flash for the front camera, they could use that.  Easy.

[ Edited ]
26 of 39 (1,779 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 20, 2010 7:04:39 PM
(0)
Scholar

BreathEZ wrote:

I'm glad others feel the same.  Thank you!

BreathEZ wrote:

I'm glad others feel the same.  Thank you!

27 of 39 (1,772 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 20, 2010 7:11:11 PM
(0)
Mentor

I'm quite sure we're not the only two. Smiley Wink 

I've had an original iPhone for almost 3 years.  I didn't realize how much I liked the status LED until I had a company issued Blackberry.  It's hard to imagine that as lazy as we've become as a society, this wouldn't be a more desired feature.  I think if more iPhone users were exposed to it, they would feel the same. Ha

I'm quite sure we're not the only two. Smiley Wink 

I've had an original iPhone for almost 3 years.  I didn't realize how much I liked the status LED until I had a company issued Blackberry.  It's hard to imagine that as lazy as we've become as a society, this wouldn't be a more desired feature.  I think if more iPhone users were exposed to it, they would feel the same. Ha

28 of 39 (1,766 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 20, 2010 7:16:33 PM
(0)
Scholar

Same for me, I've have a BlackBerry for work and now my current phone (circa 2006 " HP iPAQ HW6925").  They both have status LEDs and I was surprised to find out that the iPhone didn't.  When a friend told me her's didn't I laughed an said "Well, how do you know when you have a message."  She told me "I just "awake it" and my screen says so".  I was like "WHAT!!!"

So yea. I'm lost. lol. 

Same for me, I've have a BlackBerry for work and now my current phone (circa 2006 " HP iPAQ HW6925").  They both have status LEDs and I was surprised to find out that the iPhone didn't.  When a friend told me her's didn't I laughed an said "Well, how do you know when you have a message."  She told me "I just "awake it" and my screen says so".  I was like "WHAT!!!"

So yea. I'm lost. lol. 

29 of 39 (1,753 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 20, 2010 7:26:22 PM
(0)
Mentor

Seems like some wiz kid could make an app that flashed a corner of the screen or something genius like that. 

Seems like some wiz kid could make an app that flashed a corner of the screen or something genius like that. 

30 of 39 (1,745 Views)