Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Feb 8, 2011
5:13:11 PM
View profile
Your Bill, Data Section: 3G, EDGE, or GPRS Speeds ?

If you don't mind... Please have a look at your detailed bill from AT&T (any recent month will do), the detailed data section that shows each data session you established. This may appear at the end of the bill, after txt/picture/instant messages are listed, and after calls.

One of the last columns, titled "Feature" may appear before the "In/Out" column. My question: what kinds of entries do you see in that space?

All my data sessions say "GPRR" which translates to "GPRS $0.00 rate APN002" in the glossary up higher on the bill. I understand GPRS to be an older, slower data protocol, behind EDGE, which is behind 3G.

I almost always see my phone display 3G, and I've used my data connectivity in a variety of locations, over several different states, and ALL data sessions on my bills are "GPRR". Why am I not getting 3G data sessions?

I asked customer support, but this issue seemed to be beyond them. So, I wondered what kinds of things others here on the forums are seeing. Do you see feature codes of another type? Or is everyone seeing "GPRR"?

Thanks for your help.

If you don't mind... Please have a look at your detailed bill from AT&T (any recent month will do), the detailed data section that shows each data session you established. This may appear at the end of the bill, after txt/picture/instant messages are listed, and after calls.

One of the last columns, titled "Feature" may appear before the "In/Out" column. My question: what kinds of entries do you see in that space?

All my data sessions say "GPRR" which translates to "GPRS $0.00 rate APN002" in the glossary up higher on the bill. I understand GPRS to be an older, slower data protocol, behind EDGE, which is behind 3G.

I almost always see my phone display 3G, and I've used my data connectivity in a variety of locations, over several different states, and ALL data sessions on my bills are "GPRR". Why am I not getting 3G data sessions?

I asked customer support, but this issue seemed to be beyond them. So, I wondered what kinds of things others here on the forums are seeing. Do you see feature codes of another type? Or is everyone seeing "GPRR"?

Thanks for your help.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Your Bill, Data Section: 3G, EDGE, or GPRS Speeds ?

8 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(8)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 8, 2011 10:11:42 PM
(0)
Master

What your seeing is correct.

General Packet Radio Service (GPRS) is mobile data that can be 2G and it can also be 3G.  You bill is just identifying it as mobile data, and not the actual generation/technology used.  The system doesn't identify what type of tower and connection your making, just the actual transfer that was made.

If your phone was showing a 3G connection than that is what you were using ad connect at, which you can generally/simply verify by a simple speed test.

People tend to think GPRS is just the slowest because that is how they generally see it listed on the phone when its really all just a form of GPRS.  The only thing is the phones show different icons to indicate the difference in the GPRS technology by breaking it out as GPRS, EDGE and 3G (and soon to be 4G).

What your seeing is correct.

General Packet Radio Service (GPRS) is mobile data that can be 2G and it can also be 3G.  You bill is just identifying it as mobile data, and not the actual generation/technology used.  The system doesn't identify what type of tower and connection your making, just the actual transfer that was made.

If your phone was showing a 3G connection than that is what you were using ad connect at, which you can generally/simply verify by a simple speed test.

People tend to think GPRS is just the slowest because that is how they generally see it listed on the phone when its really all just a form of GPRS.  The only thing is the phones show different icons to indicate the difference in the GPRS technology by breaking it out as GPRS, EDGE and 3G (and soon to be 4G).

Re: Your Bill, Data Section: 3G, EDGE, or GPRS Speeds ?

2 of 9 (994 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 8, 2011 10:55:31 PM
(0)
ACE - Scholar

Hey Ed:

Thanks so much for chiming in to explain all that. Ok, sounds like most everyone, if examining their bill like I respectfully requested, should see the same GPRR/GPRS designation.

I've always understood EDGE to be "Enhanced GPRS", but I thought 3G was an entirely different technology -- UMTS, or even known as WCDMA (yes, a variation of CDMA that for data is bundled with AT&T's GSM technology for voice). Is AT&T 3G really another variety of GPRS ?

-jts

PS  Can you recommend a speed tester site that might work on my LG dumbphone -- via the built-in Java-based AT&T browser, or the Java-based Opera mini browser I installed. Thanks.

Hey Ed:

Thanks so much for chiming in to explain all that. Ok, sounds like most everyone, if examining their bill like I respectfully requested, should see the same GPRR/GPRS designation.

I've always understood EDGE to be "Enhanced GPRS", but I thought 3G was an entirely different technology -- UMTS, or even known as WCDMA (yes, a variation of CDMA that for data is bundled with AT&T's GSM technology for voice). Is AT&T 3G really another variety of GPRS ?

-jts

PS  Can you recommend a speed tester site that might work on my LG dumbphone -- via the built-in Java-based AT&T browser, or the Java-based Opera mini browser I installed. Thanks.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

3 of 9 (989 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 11, 2011 2:57:41 AM
(0)
Employee

give a try to www.my3gspeed.com

give a try to www.my3gspeed.com

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

4 of 9 (973 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 11, 2011 11:14:21 PM
(0)
ACE - Scholar

Thanks - giving it a try right now.

5 of 9 (964 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 17, 2011 4:07:40 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by hme83 on Feb 17, 2011 at 4:10:51 AM

jts wrote:

I'd be interested in hearing your results.  I've been told that at&t may be throttling data speeds on feature phones, and that seems consistent with my experience.  

I purchased a SE W518a (3G device) late last year, and in a side by side comparison with my older SE W580i (2G only), the 2G only phone is actually slightly faster in terms of data usage. Smiley Sad  (The W518a does indicate it is using the HSPA network.)

=^..^=
There must be a happy medium somewhere between being totally informed and blissfully unaware.

- Doug Larson

jts wrote:

I'd be interested in hearing your results.  I've been told that at&t may be throttling data speeds on feature phones, and that seems consistent with my experience.  

I purchased a SE W518a (3G device) late last year, and in a side by side comparison with my older SE W580i (2G only), the 2G only phone is actually slightly faster in terms of data usage. Smiley Sad  (The W518a does indicate it is using the HSPA network.)

=^..^=
There must be a happy medium somewhere between being totally informed and blissfully unaware.

- Doug Larson

[ Edited ]
6 of 9 (949 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 17, 2011 4:40:28 PM
(0)
ACE - Scholar

Here's what I got...

Firstly, I should say that it didn't work through my Opera Mini browser. But that's not surprising, since all traffic through that browser gets proxied and optimized through Opera's own servers, so a speed test wouldn't work well, or at all.

Ok, so using the built-in AT&T browser... I ran the test a few times, sometimes choosing the "3G" option on the website, and then the "EDGE" option. All 2 or 3 times I ran it, I got in the vicinity of 750 kbps, aka 0.75 mbps. Hmmm, seems kinda shallow for 3G.

I also ran the Upload Test. I can't remember the results, but I remember it being much lower -- of course.

BTW, my phone is an LG GT550 (Encore) - not a SmartPhone at all (I like to say it's in the DumbPhone category); I'm paying $30/month for unlimited messaging and internet. But it is 3G, so I'd expect 3G speeds.

Here's what I got...

Firstly, I should say that it didn't work through my Opera Mini browser. But that's not surprising, since all traffic through that browser gets proxied and optimized through Opera's own servers, so a speed test wouldn't work well, or at all.

Ok, so using the built-in AT&T browser... I ran the test a few times, sometimes choosing the "3G" option on the website, and then the "EDGE" option. All 2 or 3 times I ran it, I got in the vicinity of 750 kbps, aka 0.75 mbps. Hmmm, seems kinda shallow for 3G.

I also ran the Upload Test. I can't remember the results, but I remember it being much lower -- of course.

BTW, my phone is an LG GT550 (Encore) - not a SmartPhone at all (I like to say it's in the DumbPhone category); I'm paying $30/month for unlimited messaging and internet. But it is 3G, so I'd expect 3G speeds.

7 of 9 (940 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 17, 2011 4:58:20 PM
(0)
Master

750Kbps would definitely be 3G.  Edge does not attain speeds that fast.

While it may not be as fast as your hoping for you are in the 3G realm.  And thats not that bad compared to some other non-smartphones I've seen which are also hindered by their browser and processing capabilities.

750Kbps would definitely be 3G.  Edge does not attain speeds that fast.

While it may not be as fast as your hoping for you are in the 3G realm.  And thats not that bad compared to some other non-smartphones I've seen which are also hindered by their browser and processing capabilities.

8 of 9 (938 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 17, 2011 5:46:12 PM
(0)
ACE - Scholar

Thanks for the reassurances, Ed!

Thanks for the reassurances, Ed!

9 of 9 (936 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments