YP411

Guru

YP411

Hi all, I thought I'd just throw this out there for those who are unaware. AT&T charges $1.99 for 411, but if you start a text with whatever you want to look up and the city and state it is in and send it to YP411 you'll get pretty much the same results. You'll get addresses and phone numbers of what you were asking about Hope i'm not too late for the party with this Smiley Wink

Message 1 of 14 (500 Views)
Mentor

Re: YP411

wow!

how do you get YP411 as your recepeint for the text? Is it 97411? is sending to that free?
Message 2 of 14 (480 Views)
Guru

YP411 is the text number for information through yellowpages.com. And the charge is whatever you get charged for sending and receving texts.  Smiley Wink

Message 3 of 14 (478 Views)
Master

Razr8 wrote:

YP411 is the text number for information through yellowpages.com. And the charge is whatever you get charged for sending and receving texts.  Smiley Wink

The standard $0.20, unless you have an unlimited messaging plan. I wonder if AT&T will ever cut text message/IM costs in half to just ten cents? That would make me a lot happier, that's for sure.

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Message 4 of 14 (475 Views)
Master

So let me get this straight... Let's say I wanted to find, say, a McDonald's in Chicago, Illinois. Would I create a text message with the words:

"McDonald's
Chicago, Illinois"

And send the message to "YP411"? Then it would automatically find a McDonald's restaurant or two and give me the address and phone number? If so, that's really cool.

I saw this thread on the day that it was posted but didn't think much of it. That's probably because, honestly...I didn't understand what it meant. Smiley Tongue

Message 5 of 14 (472 Views)
Guru

Wild Banchi, I used your example of the Chicago McDonalds and I got at least three hits back all with phone numbers and addresses. And if you wanted to call any one of the results all you'd have to do is scroll to the phone number and click on it and you're connected.  I'd only tried this for my area, but it's cool to know it works nationwide. Smiley Wink

Message 6 of 14 (468 Views)
Master

That is really, really cool - especially while you are traveling or are out of town and do not know the area very well! Wow, I have got to memorize this! Thanks a bunch for sharing! Smiley Happy I didn't know it would be like this - and not to mention simple and costless.

Message 7 of 14 (458 Views)
Guru

You're welcome, glad I could help. I already had a preinstalled yellowpages.com app, which is also very useful,  on my phone and from that I came across the YP411. Although I have encountered some limitations, for example, I was looking for a burger place near me and there are three of the same burger places in the Boston area but for some reason only one of the restaurants came up. This happened both with YP411 and the YP.com app.

Message 8 of 14 (454 Views)
Master

Hmm... They're not too new, do you think, that Yellow Pages hasn't tracked down their location and other data? I don't know why that would be, there probably could be a few factors involved.

Message 9 of 14 (448 Views)
Guru

Yeah, it seems a bit odd to me as well,  I even typed in the street name and still the one I requested didn't come up. My guess would be it's not in the YP's data base because I went to the actual Yellow Pages website did a search and I only got that one hit again. To find the restaurant I was looking for I had to launch my phone's MediaNet and then Google it. Still it's a cool option and better than paying $1.99 for AT&T's directory assistance and getting the same results.  Smiley Very Happy

Message 10 of 14 (445 Views)
Master

Agreed. It's people like you who have outsmarted the outsmarters themselves. Smiley Very Happy

I still can't wait to try this out! It'll probably be so cool!

Message 11 of 14 (426 Views)
Guru

LOL Wild Banchi! It does feel good to stick it to the man once in awhileSmiley Happy As soon as I found out about YP411 I tested it and then immediately added it to my contacts.

Message 12 of 14 (421 Views)
Professor

Razr8, thanks for the excellent tips.

Message 13 of 14 (406 Views)
Guru

Your welcome!

Message 14 of 14 (402 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.